Awoo.

Splatoon 2 (Summer 2017)

Meta77

I am already feeling the hype intensify for the Octo Expansion. I already have the DLC pre-installed and now it's wait and see for me. But I am more than ecstatic for this. I really am hoping that the Octo Expansion will rekindle my passion to play Splatoon 2 once more, since my interest in it as of late has been null mostly.

Though from what is shown, I already am seeing the promise. And Nintendo must have their reasons for keeping the story mode outside the challenges a secret. We maybe seeing a huge bombshell of story that will turn the world of Splatoon as we know it, on it's head. Though that is given at this point, since this was made in the light of expanding on the already pretty huge pool of lore for their world.

I am just delighted to see the Octoling playable at last. It does still make me wonder if Nintendo heard our cries for the Octoling race being playable. Or if they had something in works all along for the Octolings, but was keeping it under wraps. Both are believable, though as this goes on. I am beginning to think it's a little from both columns. Nintendo has has a history of shocking their players with stuff one wouldn't expect for them to do. And this is no exception.

• 2 weeks later...

Some new free gear and information for June and E3

tumblr_inline_p9u26zpLyT1t4m0j9_1280.jpg

The Splatoon 2 World Championship is almost here, and we’re excited to present a few more details about the tournament structure:

Seeding matches will take place using the Turf War game mode, with Semifinals and Grand Finals matches using Ranked Battle modes. Gear Secondary Abilities will be disabled throughout the tournament, meaning only the Main Ability will be active on each piece of gear. These rules combine a mixture of previous tournament rulesets, such as Splatoon Koshien 2018 and top western tournaments.

tumblr_inline_p9u1vptnNI1t4m0j9_1280.png

Opening Rounds (Seeding) - Monday 6/11 @ 3:30 p.m PT

• All games will be played in Turf War
  • Teams will play 2 matches in a mini-seeding bracket
  • After play, the teams will be ranked by win-loss record
  • Of the two teams that finish 1-1, the higher seed will go to the team that won the first match
  • Four stages will be available. Once a stage is selected, that stage may not be selected again
  • After the first 2 matches, 2 stages will remain. The team that selects the remaining (third) stage will be selected by coin toss
  • Stage Selection: Wahoo World / Piranha Pit / Manta Maria / Arowana Mall

tumblr_inline_p9u1w5dSgm1t4m0j9_1280.png

Semifinals Matchups - Monday 6/11

• Matchups will include #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3
  • The team that is first to reach 3 wins (out of 5 games) wins the match and advances to Grand Finals

o    1st game: Splat Zones – MakoMart
o    2nd game: Clam Blitz – Sturgeon Shipyard
o    3rd game: Tower Control – Snapper Canal
o    4th game: Rainmaker – Kelp Dome
o    5th game: Tower Control – Inkblot Art Academy

Grand Finals - Tuesday 6/12 @ 1:00 p.m PT

• The team that is first to reach 4 wins (out of 7 games) wins the championship
  • Ranked Battle stages to be shared prior to Grand Finals

In case you missed it, below is a snapshot of competing teams:

Japan - GG BoyZ: Despite coming to E3 2017 as the clear favorites to win, Japan was upset by U.S. team Deadbeat. Dynamon returns to E3 2018 with this new team after winning out over 800 teams in Japan and is looking to bring the trophy home.

Australia/ New Zealand - Yeah Nah: Arriving as the undefeated champions of the 2018 AUNZ Splatoon 2 Cup, this new team includes 2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational participant Latias, who returns to E3 2018 with the goal of scoring key upsets.

U.S. / Canada - SetToDestroyX: After defeating Japan in the 2017 Splatoon 2 World Inkling Invitational, key members of the U.S. team Deadbeat became SetToDestroyX and continued their dominance by winning tournament after tournament. They return to E3 2018 ready to defend their title after winning out over 500 teams from across the U.S. and Canada.

Europe - BackSquids: The winners of the Splatoon European Championship in Montreux, Switzerland, this German team brings a fresh name and team spirit aplenty to E3 as they try to take on the rest of the world.

Those who are unable to be in Los Angeles can still watch all the action livestreamed at https://e3.nintendo.com/ and on Nintendo’s YouTube and Twitch channels.

tumblr_p9t8lmGXGM1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_p9t8lmGXGM1u3akyno2_540.jpg

Wonderful news! Based on careful scientific observation, it appears that a gathering of champions will soon be…gathering. (Because that’s what a gathering does!) 

According to our research, teams from around the world will be competing at the Splatoon 2 World Championship in Los Angeles during E3. A team named SetToDestroyX is looking to defend the title for U.S./Canada. Much excitement!

Here are the deets:
• Opening rounds and Semifinals: June 11 [3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. PT]
• Finals: June 12 [1:00 p.m. PT]

But that’s not all, fellow inkthusiasts! Via an upcoming Nintendo Switch News article on the evening of 6/7, you’ll be able to receive a special in-game t-shirt to commemorate the tournament! Be sure to follow the Splatoon 2 channel in Nintendo Switch News on your Nintendo Switch system for more details.

tumblr_p9mdxs73321u3akyno2_1280.jpgtumblr_p9mdxs73321u3akyno1_1280.jpgtumblr_p9mdxs73321u3akyno3_1280.jpgtumblr_p9mdxs73321u3akyno4_1280.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Attention all Inklings & Octolings!

tumblr_pa8aov6z3f1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Good news! We at the Squid Research Lab had previously mentioned that game updates would end this July, but we are happy to announce that free updates to gear, weapons and stages will continue through the end of 2018!

Surprise! DLC drops tomorrow! :D

And if that wasn't awesome enough, we'll be getting an Octoling Amiibo set as well!

DfhTMI6UYAAd2ag.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

I'm going to end up with as many  Splatoon amiibos as Legend of Zelda ones at this rate.  But yay, for an early drop to the DLC!

New Official Art to celebrate the release of Octo Expansion. :)

Dfnr19vXkAAlUdx.jpg:large

EDIT: Also, some sage advice from xxArtistic14xx on Twitter

DfnQqFAVMAA6m_e.jpg:large

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 2

The Octo Expansion is seriously hard! They didn't pull any punches with it. But the writing... oh my god the writing is off the hook

altf4clear.thumb.jpg.f21d7dc284bd2a5e7f8de1cb3e8ad503.jpg

• Chuckle 2

Looks like we're also getting a Splatfest for next weekend.

DfxxWthUcAA6QB7.jpg:large

....personally, I could go either or...

• Thumbs Up 1

I just got done with the Octo Expansion last night and wow, was it a ride. Now I got a Octoling to play as in Multiplayer. I'm already loving it so much and I'm sure a lot of other Splatoon fans are too. Though the plot behind your Octoling and Marina is really interesting. (I am putting this in a spoiler tag so that people who have completed the Octo Expansion can read it at their leisure.)

Spoiler

So basically your Octoling and Marina both were embedded with the Calamari Inkcantation completely wiping the control of the Octo Empire. While it's not exactly know what your Octoling was before the inkcantation. Marina was a highly skilled Octo Engineer for the Octo Empire. Her original name being Marina Isa. (If I am remembering that right) She has all kinds of knowledge about Octo Tech and her knowledge is what allows her to be able to hack into the systems while you complete tests.

Well, I finished Octo Expansion...

Long story short, this is vastly VASTLY superior to both the campaigns of the original game and the second game. Not only is there a sense of mystery with the Octoling and their species, it goes into a lot of detail and builds on Splatoon 2's cast. Where the campaign of the main game is mainly just a total retread of the original story which wasn't great to begin with, there's tons of chat logs and other things that build a story for Pearl and Marina and build both of them are characters and makes it clear why they're friends. I want to go more in detail but that would involve spoilers.

Gameplay is also way better. The new levels are shorter but up the challenge with only a few frustrating ones, and they're so varied and build a lot more on the actual multiplayer of the game that if they ever make a Splatoon 3, I pray they do something like this. It helps you get better with various weapons and where they're best used, specials, and much more. It just destroys Splat 2's main story and even lasts about as long, if not more if you go for all 80 challenges. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I've virtually finished the Octo Expansion now. Of the three campaigns available across the series, it's by far the best. But the final boss after you've cleared all 80 missions... holy crap. I can't beat it. Spoilers abound:

The absolute final boss is Agent 3. While you already fight Agent 3 near the end of the campaign, this time around it's way more difficult. Supposedly set two years ago and when Agent 8 first hears the Calamari Inkantation, it's a one-on-one fight in a small arena. Agent 3 has buffed attack and defense stats (I think), infinite ink, autobombs and an endless supply of specials. The first phase they the Ink Jet, second it's the Bubble Blower, third is the Autobomb Launcher, fourth is the Tenta missiles and that's as far as I've gotten. In the fourth phase, Agent 3 is on a floating platform outside the arena, almost out of reach of your Splattershot and Splat Bombs unless you have perfect accuracy. You have to endure a shower of ink from above as well as the Tenta Missiles and frequent Autobombs. Agent 3 can also perform dodge rolls (despite not having Dualies) and re-enters the arena after each phase with a Splash Down that has an enormous radius.

There's no checkpoints in this boss battle. You die once, and you have to start the entire thing again. It's brutal.

• Thumbs Up 3

jesus fuck I just beat the secret boss

Spoiler

it took like two hours

You gotta be aggressive and stick close to her.  She tends to dodge when she's getting fired upon, so keeping up with her keeps the damage off you.  She leaves herself wide open with most of her supers too.  By the end she tries to keep you away with splashdowns for days, and you can use the cover in the arena to avoid damage from it from it while keeping close to her.

it's brutal but man it's satisfying

• Thumbs Up 1

More info on upcoming updates

tumblr_pal1ahsy4F1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_pal1ahsy4F1u3akyno2_540.jpg

Let’s take a closer look at two of the upcoming weapons revealed during the Splatoon 2 World Championship.

First up, the Explosher is a re-purposed industrial heater modified to fling piping-hot ink long distances. Its shots explode on contact with walls and the ground, so it’s handy for hitting foes who like to hide. The fire rate is slow, so you’ll want to make good use of its incredible ink trajectory to corner your opponents. 

Not to be outdone, the Ballpoint Splatling is a new Splatling-type weapon that equips a shifting system. It has a super-fast fire rate when you start shooting, but sacrifices its aiming ability and range. Once the spin slows down a bit, you can target far-off opponents with pinpoint accuracy. You can also recharge in the middle of firing by pressing the ZR button, unlike other Splatlings.

tumblr_pal1g0D7lM1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_pal1g0D7lM1u3akyno2_540.jpg

This upcoming new stage is called the New Albacore Hotel, which will be added to the game through a future update. Battles take place poolside on the rooftop of a luxurious hotel, which lets Inklings enjoy a skyscraper view of the city while they compete.

tumblr_paokkvjst91u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Inkoming news! You can stay fresh with My Nintendo and redeem your points for a printable Splatoon 2: Octo Expansion themed box art cover and wallpaper! 

https://my.nintendo.com/news/921d49d5b736dc22

• Way Past Cool 1

5 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

More info on upcoming updates

tumblr_pal1ahsy4F1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_pal1ahsy4F1u3akyno2_540.jpg

tumblr_pal1g0D7lM1u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_pal1g0D7lM1u3akyno2_540.jpg

tumblr_paokkvjst91u3akyno1_1280.jpg

I thought they were actually going to let you use your Club Nintendo points to get a physical version of the expansion, perhaps making it stand-alone. That's slightly disappointing.

So, I managed to complete the Octo Expansion earlier today. All the challenges, as well as the secret boss.

I've gotta say, for the level of challenge that each station provided, along with all the neat little expansions to the Splatoon lore... I can say that it was worth the price of admission.

Admittedly, some levels were pretty infuriating to finish, but it was never quite bad enough to make me outright quit a level. (Well, except for one time early on, when I basically landed into debt in-game...)

And then, there's the secret boss...

Spoiler

It only took about an hour for me to finally defeat Agent 3, but DAMN was it frustrating! One false move, and it was back to square one! I think the worst phase had to be the either the Autobomb rush, or the Tenta Missiles.

But I did it. I got that toothpick. And I shall never touch that locker again.

Overall, this was a great expansion pack. I really hope they take cues from this DLC if they ever do a 'Splatoon 3' in the future.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly it's a pretty worthless item. It reminds me of the trend Nintendo games seem to do now for those focuses on 100 percent zelda you got pop, Mario a spinning hat, and this a hair pik with stats any three star item can give you

Eh, I suppose. There are definitely other headgears that I vastly prefer wearing. But at least I have it, for completion's sake.

tumblr_pamrjy0jRI1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Here are the results for the Pulp VS No Pulp Splatfest:

• Votes: 32.65% < 67.35%
  • Solo Wins: 50.62% > 49.38%
  • Team Wins: 52.61% > 47.39%
  • Final Results: 2 > 1
  • TEAM PULP WINS

Pearl: PULPIN' ALL DAY! PULPIN' ALL NIGHT! UNNNGH!

Marina: ...

Pearl: Gettin' delicious pulp with every nutritious gulp!

Marina: Disgusting...

Pearl: So Team No-Pulp didn't have any real substance? SHOCKING. Get good, chumps!

Marina: ...

This game just continues to hit all the right notes for me. After fully digesting and enjoying the Octo Expansion, Splatoon 2 is probably the first game in a long-time that's not Sonic that I'll happily re-play several times a year. It's so easy to hop into single player, Turf Wars or Salmon Run for a few days, then kick back and forget about the game for a little while. The Splatfests are a great opportunity for that. The game is absolutely brilliant. While it still suffers as a sequel because lifts so much directly from the first game and refines rather than adds or changes, it's not exactly to its detriment because it's so unique. The atmosphere of the game is so completely perfect. Especially in the Deep Sea Metro with it's storyline, the game manages to get darker and more sinister, without losing is charm, whimsy or absurdity for a moment. The things not explicitly stated but instead heavily implied through subtext and finer details are very clever. If I had to criticise one thing, it's that I don't care about the player characters at all in the storyline. I get that they want to keep the theme going that your character in single player is the same one you use in all of the multiplayer modes, but I hate it. Silent, customisable protagonists blow. Give me a real character for single player.

And I'm firmly in the camp of Off The Hook > Squid Sisters. Marie was always fun, but I never cared very much about Callie. The dynamic between Pearl and Marina is so much richer, more fun and endearing. I can't pick between the two of them.

• Thumbs Up 3

We're having an Global, Anniversary Splatfest of Squids VS Octopie! :D

tumblr_pb9g544J181u3akyno1_540.jpg

tumblr_pb9g544J181u3akyno2_400.pngtumblr_pb9g544J181u3akyno3_400.png

July 21st marks the first anniversary of Splatoon 2, and we’re celebrating with a global Splatfest! Which sea creature is your favorite, Squid or Octopus? This hotly contested Splatfest will occur from 7/20 (Fri) 9:00pm PT - 7/21 (Sat) 9:00pm PT.

To make the event more special, players on Team Squid will play as Inklings, and players on Team Octopus will play as Octolings. Even if you don’t have the Octo Expansion, if you’re reppin’ Team Octopus, you’ll play as Octolings. On the other hand, those fighting for Team Squid will play as Inklings even if their usual character is set to Octoling.

By the way, your appearance will only change during Splatfest battles. In the Square, you’ll appear as your usual rad self.

Which team will be declared the winner in this cephalopod conflict?! Will you take your time and deliberate on which team to pick? Or are you ready to declare Muck Warfare?
(Please note that the global nature of this Splatfest means Judd and Li'l Judd will need some additional time to calculate, so results will be posted 7/22.)

Also, here are the Maps for Ranked Battles for July.

tumblr_pb37gh2Ej51u3akyno1_540.jpgtumblr_pb37gh2Ej51u3akyno2_540.jpgtumblr_pb37gh2Ej51u3akyno3_540.jpgtumblr_pb37gh2Ej51u3akyno4_540.jpg

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:

Are they nuts?! Nintendo have now gone and done it, they created a race war.

Well, even if I don't have the Octo Expansion, the Octolings look pretty nice (and cute)...

So they're obviously gonna be the popular winner. Inkling it is.

They may likely end up winning the popularity vote (which, judging from the last Splatfest, I'm pretty sure means jack-shit in the long run) but I'll be going with Team Octo on this one.

Besides... black and purple shirts? I can't argue with that!

13 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Welp. I think the Inklings are going to be officially thrown under the bus after this one is over. Part of me really wants me to wish the squids to win. Merely out of respect to the fact that Inklings have been running Inkopolis for longer than the Octolings have been around. Though the other part of me want to go Octopus sooooooooooooo bad. I generally love the design of the Octolings and wish more of the best for them.

I know this one is going to leave a mark for Pearl and Marina, considering.

11 hours ago, Polkadi~♪ said:

Are they nuts?! Nintendo have now gone and done it, they created a race war.

Well, even if I don't have the Octo Expansion, the Octolings look pretty nice (and cute)...

So they're obviously gonna be the popular winner. Inkling it is.

Yes. Yes, Nintendo is crazy enough to do this as a Splatfest. I think they maybe more aware of who the winner will be than we realize, since they made a purposeful jab at the popularity wars between octolings and inklings.