Awoo.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 2017)

Nepenthe

flVVgZ5.jpg

With Nintendo Switch, fans can enjoy the definitive version of Mario Kart 8 anywhere, anytime, even with up to eight friends in local wireless multiplayer. All your favorite tracks and characters return from the Wii U version, plus all DLC tracks and characters, and new characters join the roster, too: Inkling Girl and Inkling Boy from Splatoon, as well as King Boo, Dry Bones and Bowser Jr.! Plus, Battle mode has been revamped and includes Balloon Battle and Bob-omb Blast, with new courses such as Urchin Underpass and Battle Stadium, and returning ones like GCN Luigi’s Mansion and SNES Battle Course 1. Players can now carry two items at a time, including new items returning from previous Mario Kart games such as Boo (the item-stealing ghost) and the Feather, which gives players a high jump in Battle mode. Players can even choose to use a new Smart Steering feature, which makes driving and staying on the track easy for novice players and kids, even at 200cc. Play in TV mode in up to 1080p. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe launches in April.

Get hype.

• Thumbs Up 3

Battle and Bob-omb Blast

o4XweQW.gif

You have no idea how happy this makes me feel. Bowser Jr, Dry Bones and the Inklings too? Holy crap.

It's not even been a year since I bought Mario Kart 8... Welp, here we go again!

Well as salty as I am but probably rebuying it, I am liking the little roster additions. Was never happy with the surplus baby characters and Mario/Peach variants, so a few more to mix it up will be nice. Inklings are a welcome surprise, definitely think they'll fit right in like the Animal Crossing characters in the Wii U version. And it's nice to see Jr. again. Dry Bones was a bit of a surprise--any more of Bowser's army coming through? Hoping to see Diddy Kong and Birdo return. Not sure who else I'd like to see.

Looking forward to getting knocked around when I play with y'all again :,D (that and more Dashie gameplay)

I really wanted this game and almost bought a wii u for it. Glad I didn't cuz now I will get this gem.

Disappointing news unless they reveal an upgrade option for previous owners:

48 is the amount of tracks the original game had if you purchased DLC, i.e. there are no new racing courses in this version - all new maps we've seen are Battle Stages.

So if you bought the game on Wii U, you are paying £50+ for a Battle Mode that felt sorely missing from the original release, splatoon characters, and the new 2-item and easy driving system for new players.

Add on to the fact that come autumn, you'll have to pay to play online, unlike the Wii U version and... yeah they haven't sold me on double-dipping.  Very disappointed.

Now that it's confirmed that there are no new tracks, I think it's safe to say that this is just a stopgap to have something Mario related out in the launch window. I 100% believe there will be a new Mario Kart, or dare I say, Nintendo Kart in a couple of years.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, JezMM said:

48 is the amount of tracks the original game had if you purchased DLC, i.e. there are no new racing courses in this version - all new maps we've seen are Battle Stages.

So if you bought the game on Wii U, you are paying £50+ for a Battle Mode that felt sorely missing from the original release, splatoon characters, and the new 2-item and easy driving system for new players.

Add on to the fact that come autumn, you'll have to pay to play online, unlike the Wii U version and... yeah they haven't sold me on double-dipping.  Very disappointed.

On the bright side, the Miis in that screenshot may indicate that they'll be playable in the final version!

But yeah, no new tracks is just one of many baffling decisions Nintendo's making with their new system and software.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

On the bright side, the Miis in that screenshot may indicate that they'll be playable in the final version!

But yeah, no new tracks is just one of many baffling decisions Nintendo's making with their new system and software.

Given the fact that there's one slot left, that's definitely the case.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, looking on the bright side, when looking at the grand scheme of things Mario Kart 8 is the only 1st party game that feels like a direct port from all the games currently known. If anything it's there for those who don't own the Wii U version yet, or as a low priority purchase to Wii U owners if there's nothing else interesting to grab. Still it doesn't stop me from being disappointed though. :/

I hope we get a totally new Mario Kart near the end of the Switch generation. Usually it's been one new Mario Kart per Nintendo console, so I'm left wondering if that trend will still keep up or not. Kinda doubt it though, but we'll see.

Yeah, was disappointed to hear there's no new race tracks. I bought the MK8 Wii U bundle and that came with all of the DLC anyway, so I wouldn't be getting anything outside of Battle Mode which I don't really play. Plus with permanently free online, I've got no reason to upgrade right now. If the service is good and they create more DLC tracks, then maybe I'll double dip. But that'll be far later. However, with the revamped battle mode and extra characters, it's a good value for people who just didn't bother with the Wii U.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Yeah, was disappointed to hear there's no new race tracks. I bought the MK8 Wii U bundle and that came with all of the DLC anyway, so I wouldn't be getting anything outside of Battle Mode which I don't really play. Plus with permanently free online, I've got no reason to upgrade right now. If the service is good and they create more DLC tracks, then maybe I'll double dip. But that'll be far later. However, with the revamped battle mode and extra characters, it's a good value for people who just didn't bother with the Wii U.

And that would be me. I'm glad I'll be able to get all content out of the box. And hopefully there will be more DLC

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't be even half as salty if this stuff was added to the Wii U game as DLC.  I'd even pay for it as DLC, of course.  But obviously they're not gonna do that. =\

Man I love Nintendo when they're doing new stuff but this generation they have made QUITE a habit of fucking over those of us who were with them buying their games at launch every step of the way, huh.  First the expanded 3DS ports and now this.  At least this one doesn't require a graphical downgrade to access the extra content I guess.

• Thumbs Up 2

Looking at it logically I can kinda see why they aren't adding new tracks, I mean they already made 12 new ones for this game alone a few years back and they still do need to have some track ideas left over for their (inevitable) next MK game so I can't blame them for skipping out on those here. That said, I do think its stupid how they're charging us full price for features that should've been in the original to begin with and some new characters (some of which should've been in the original too and I honestly don't care too much about them anyway since I got toadette already) and all of this isn't even getting into the paid online crap...bah, I really don't mean to come off so negative about this since its cool for people who never played it on Wii U (which is probably who its for to begin with) but man Nintendo is really destroying my faith in them with this thing.

Hold up hold up...

BOB-OM BLAST IS BACK?!?

Man, I don't even think I need anything more out of Mario Kart anymore. They've got 48 tracks to race on as the largest amount of content ever, 200cc mode which I love playing and have wanted since the first Mario karts I played, and now the best battle mode ever made is back alongside it all? Yes. Only thing that could make this better is a mission mode comeback.

Dunno if I'm gonna double dip on this or not, though. At least not at full price. No new tracks is a kicker, and I dunno if I'll ever have enough controllers for the switch to justify playing this over the Wii U version, tbh. If more controller supports are announced, maybe, but otherwise I don't see it happening.

48 Tracks is already a large amount even by racing game standards, so I understand why they might not have more.

But jeez, no diddy Kong or Birdo again?....oh well, at least Jr. is in, honestly, he was the real WTF inclusion in 8 cause of the Koopalings.

20 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

48 Tracks is already a large amount even by racing game standards, so I understand why they might not have more.

But jeez, no diddy Kong or Birdo again?....oh well, at least Jr. is in, honestly, he was the real WTF inclusion in 8 cause of the Koopalings.

Don't mean to be that person but the word you're looking for is exclusion, not inclusion. Sorry, just felt I had to correct that. ^^;

On 15/1/2017 at 3:08 PM, JezMM said:

Has Nintendo already confirmed that this new updated version will not support patches and DLC?
Because if not, the possibility of getting more characters and tracks is still up in the air.

17 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Has Nintendo already confirmed that this new updated version will not support patches and DLC?
Because if not, the possibility of getting more characters and tracks is still up in the air.

Thing is, the 48 tracks is a perfectly good and reasonable deal for the asking price, IF you haven't bought Mario Kart 8 before.

If they do DLC that costs additional money, the problem that the new version just isn't worth the money for previous adopters is only worsened.

"Just don't buy it then it's not for you" isn't even a satisfying option, because that new battle mode?  Us early adopters were the ones who were asking Nintendo for it after we played the Wii U version's stinko battle mode and were in a position to give feedback.  It's a fantastic deal for a new player, but completely disrespectful to their loyal existing customers.

• Thumbs Up 2

Normally i would suggest to wait for a price drop in this case, but since this is Nintendo we're talking about you could have more luck waiting for hell to freeze over, so i understand.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm certainly confident it will do well, and even if not straight away, I'm sure I'll be getting it too.

Bob-omb Blast is my most favourite battle mode, so I'm glad of its inclusion. I'll use the new characters on occasion, but I'll stick with my mains for the most part.

I can understand the complaints about it being a full priced game and stuff but you could just trade in the old version and basically get this for almost half off.

That's only for people who have the physical copy. Mine came digitally installed on my Wii U. xP

• Thumbs Up 2