Nepenthe

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (April 2017)

For those wondering why Deluxe doesn't have much new content, it's because a majority of the Mario Kart 7 and 8 team are busy working on the new Nintendo IP Arms. The director of Mario Kart 7 and 8 is directing that game as well. It's safe to say that after Arms is released in the Spring, production on a brand new Mario Kart for Switch will start.

11 hours ago, Zippo said:

For those wondering why Deluxe doesn't have much new content, it's because a majority of the Mario Kart 7 and 8 team are busy working on the new Nintendo IP Arms. The director of Mario Kart 7 and 8 is directing that game as well. It's safe to say that after Arms is released in the Spring, production on a brand new Mario Kart for Switch will start.

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Its debatable. Maybe they'll instead consider different racing game by another team and that team will do something else.

43 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Perhaps. Perhaps not. Its debatable. Maybe they'll instead consider different racing game by another team and that team will do something else.

I don't see that happening. Nintendo knows Mario Kart is one of their biggest sellers, there's absolutely no way a Nintendo console is not going to have a new, original installment of Mario Kart. MK8D is just a stopgap until a new one for Switch is released. Nothing more. Given how Arms is just now finishing production, it'll be awhile, but I absolutely believe MK9 will be released on Switch in a couple of years.

Ever since Mario Kart DS, each new game has released three years after the last.

2005, 2008, 2011, 2014.

Deluxe is launching 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if the next game after Deluxe is released 2020. In fact, I'd expect most Nintendo series releasing this year to get another game three years or more down the line.

4 hours ago, Marcello said:

To be honest, I'd rather have had this game simply be Mario Kart Switch and it being updated with DLC throughout the life of the Switch. With this being 8 Deluxe, I have to assume a new one will be coming out in the near-ish future.

While that would be great, I'm sure Nintendo finds it much more economical to make an original Mario Kart for the Switch and then sell you DLC on top of that.

Thought I'd bump this topic with some major updates:

-Gold Mario (UGH) is unlocked by beating all Cups on 200cc

-It seems Deluxe is adding a third level of drifting

-8 Battle Courses include: 

• Battle Stadium (New)
  • Sweet Sweet Kingdom (New)
  • Dragon Palace (New)
  • Lunar Colony (New)
  • Wuhu Town (MK7)
  • Luigi's Mansion (MKDD)
  • Battle Course 1 (SMK)
  • Urchin Underpass (Splatoon)

-5 Battle Modes:

• Balloon Battle
  • Shine Thief
  • Coin Runners
  • Bob-omb Blast
  • Renegade Roundup (New- Basically cops-and-robbers with Potted Piranha Plants; chase renegades as a "cop" with a Piranha Plant, or evade cops as a "renegade")

I'm really hoping that if they did nerf the speed in 200cc like derrick said, I hope that brake drifting is still a prominent thing and that the speed change isn't too noticeable. 

And gold mario has to be the most insulting reward you could possibly give anyone for completing the game at its hardest.

On 3/10/2017 at 4:26 PM, VEDJ-F said:

So there's a weird thing where you can select an antennae thing and it prevents you from falling off the track. Seems to be for novices [It's called Smart Steering]. 

You can brake while drifting now, also there's a new drift mini-boost, confirming the GameXplain speculation.

You could always brake while drifting (it just wasn't optimal in anything below 200cc) unless your talking about something else.

You could brake while drifting in the Wii U version, yeah. In 200cc the devs even changed the engine to allow braking to control your speed more easily during a drift. 150cc and below you'd need extra care tapping those brakes because one tap too long could take you out of a drift quite easily, but yeah, it's doable, just doesn't see much use here.

I noticed someone on a Mario Kart 8 Discord server pointed out that kart stats seem to be wildly different this time around. Take a look at Mario here in a full standard set for instance:

statchanges.png

I thought the game was just going to be Wii U MK8 with added sprinkles on it, but this picture makes me think they've gone an extra mile to rebalance parts of the game too. Maybe lightweights and heavyweights will see stats that are better geared towards their affinities and disadvantages now? Probably not enough to stop you from using an heavyweight with acceleration and handling parts as before, but we'll see either way.

Looking at those stat spreads, I'm suspecting that they might have tweaked the weight classes more than anything else.  I remember that Mario was essentially a "heavy-medium" before, so he slightly favored speed and weight, but now his stats are just perfectly balanced.  I'm crossing my fingers that they've cut things down to just five weight classes.