Awoo.

Arms! (Nintendo Switch, June 16, 2017)

Mando-Whirl-Wind

Nintenddo's newest heavy depth competitive game! Boxing on steroids. here's the treehouse explanation then the overview

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/arms-switch

GAME DETAILS

The first fighting game of its kind!

gSLM319V-f1p6vJ9_U9LhmddmtFlpRZS.png

Choose a fighting champion from around the world, equip your own combination of extendable arms, and then use a mix of button presses and quick hand motions to really take the fight to your opponent. Throw punches and guide them midflight to hit agile fighters, avoid incoming attacks with dashes, or trampoline high into the air to rain down fists from above. Power-up your punches to deal extra damage or curve your fists around obstacles to hit skittish opponents. Fill up your special gauge to dish out devastating combinations and finish them off. Unleash your inner fighter in this unbelievable sporting event!

• Fight via simple motion and button controls – Grab onto your Joy-Con with a unique "thumbs-up" grip and use simple motions and button presses to outthink your opponent. Toss and curve punches when you find an opening, and dodge a flurry of incoming attacks. It's fast-paced fun for everyone!
  • Select from a variety of fighters – Select from brand-new fighting superstars like Ribbon Girl, Master Mummy, and more! Each fighter has their own special attributes to learn and master.
  • Fight in arenas with unique obstacles – Throw punches around (or through) mysterious liquid-filled columns in a spooky laboratory, or in certain arenas, toss fighters onto trampolines for epic aerial skirmishes.
  • Choose your arms carefully – Each weapon has its own strength. Some are slow and do tons of damage, while others are fast as lighting, but will only serve to set up larger combinations. It's up to you to mix and match your arms to fit your play style.

Honestly, could be the new splatoon

• Thumbs Up 3

Watching the trailer makes it look like you have to throw full out punches to activate anything, when in reality all you do is flick your wrist. Talk about misleading. Well, I much prefer it this way, it actually looks pretty fun and intuitive with those controls. 

3 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

Also, its confirmed you can use traditional controls.

Really? If you can do it on a single joycon, then well that'd be great

This has the potential to be a solid new IP for Nintendo, if they can handle it properly like they did with Splatoon.

Also, Spring Man for Smash: it fits like a glove.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm liking the look of this IP. I think it could prove to be pretty successful. It also gives Nintendo a unique take on a competitive fighting-style game like they have a unique take on shooters.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really like the character designs for this one. If they make amiibos for this game I might just pick a couple up like I did for splatoon.

Can I point out that this looks like the cup one character lineup, and if this follows fighting game standards there'll be 4 more cups each with at least 3 additional unique characters, and a few variants? I'd say 20-30 roster is quite possible

Actually really interested in this. When Nintendo announces a new IP, it's usually not something I'm drawn in by most of the time, but this kinda has a bit of that Splatoon vibe in terms of the visuals but with a genre I'm more interested in. Plus, it just looks like something that'd be a blast to play with friends. Definitely adding this to the Switch buy list.

• Thumbs Up 1

I love how ridiculous the character designs are. Those hairstyles are really weird, lol. Game itself looks fun, seems like a evolution of Punch-Out. The only thing that had slighty turned me off of it was the motion controls, but with the confirmation of traditional controls being an option, I think i'll keep an eye on this game now.  

...is it weird that I'm actually kinda disappointed that there's optional button controls? Like, am I actually crazy to think that way?

My first thoughts on Arms was like "It's basically Wii Boxing fleshed out into a full game, and that's kinda neat". But the second control option tells me two things. One, that the motion controls aren't going to be particularly fluid and more nuanced motions aren't going to matter much for parity reasons, and two, it's putting itself into a Punchout Wii situation where you have no reason to use the motion element anymore because simple button presses are an order of magnitude more responsive (not to mention, less physically painful). You may as well have billed it on the fact that most of the fighting can take place from opposite ends of the arena and not mentioned the motion controls at all for all the difference it makes.

I'll still probably give the game a shot, but I feel like they missed some big opportunities by not making the game exclusively with the gyros in mind.

Oh. Springman won.

• Thumbs Up 1

the character design looks appealing if anything,

however the value of the game seems like its those game that launch on the system, that have minimum lasting value once people are done with the story-mode (like Knack or Ryse: son of rome)

i also don't feel like playing an motion controlled game again, i'm done making my arms (lololo) hurt.

2 hours ago, Fr0zenanus said:

the character design looks appealing if anything,

however the value of the game seems like its those game that launch on the system, that have minimum lasting value once people are done with the story-mode (like Knack or Ryse: son of rome)

i also don't feel like playing an motion controlled game again, i'm done making my arms (lololo) hurt.

It has traditional controls which have been mentioned on this page. We have no idea of it's full content because we've only seen a first impressions demo, albiet one that already has a ton of depth and options(each character has around ~12 layouts you can do, with 3 weapons, that you can put on either arm or both, and which side you choose also makes a difference). They've also announced Single Player Story, Online and Local Multiplayer. The game also has major potential to become a new E-sport and seems to be birthed from the same initiative as Splatoon, and that game is doing amazing in Japan, and wound up a lot deeper than people thought.

This doesn't really compare to either game you mentioned

Ok, so a better look at the gameplay depth from JC coaching a pair of Smash players(NAIRO)

This game is going to be deep. Also we've had confirmation on a bunch more characters in the game

Woah, here's a really great breakdown from a gaffer who spent 90% of the event playing arms with his buddy, this game is going to have a crazy MEta, this all the stuff gleaned from a SINGLE day of playing, wait till stuff really develops with more gloves and the Full cast

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=228511981&postcount=276

Here's our matches with pretty much everything put into play. We played it so much that by the end of the event, we played for 30 minutes nonstop as there weren't many people there or looking to play ARMs in the end.

Here's everything we picked up on(I've put times tamps in here for the video.

Characters
Ninjara (my friends main) is top bloody tier -
Bloody hell this character has the best mobility within the game (see 1:48 for amazing speed and dodges). He is nimble, quick and his air dash is a mini teleport which results him him being invincible AND you can control which way you air dash.
****Prepare to get sick of seeing this character because he is exceptionally good.

The Mummy/Fat Kan-ra (my main) -
He has the worst mobility but has a nice double jump. If you block you also gain health back. It's this characters special block property. (See 5:50)

Mechanic or which we called her, Tronne Bonne -
She basically is Tronne from Marvel. She has an air dash you can hold.

Ribbon girl -
Has a decedent throw which leaves the opponent still flying in the air. If you play on a stage with a bounce pad. She can get some nice combos from enemies that land on it from he grab. He grab is also nice in that it's a great keep away game. Her grab throws enemies nearly back to the full arena.

Stages:
You can break the test tubes on the chemical plant stage can be broken (see second match)
There is a grave yard stage to which the middle of the arena can be broken. This reveals a bounce pad for an dynamic stage change.
The main stage (see Match One) that my friend and I referred to as "Final Destination of Arms" is an amazing stage. Mainly because of how absurd it can be for any rocking the Massive Purple ARMs I was using.

Now the good stuff (The tech we found):
There is a mechanic in the game where your Arms will power up with an attack with an elemental ability whereby you will gain, fire, electric and some other properties. In the case of fire, you take burn damage, but with electric powered up Arms, you gain stun. Stun is important because it means the opponent is looses all control of their character AND their Arms.

The stun+grab combo:
*** The name of the ARM is called Sparky (see 0:07 for Ninjaras loadout. ARM slot 2 (the gloves) are called Sparky)).
(See 2:55)
At this point I get hit with an elemental Stun Punch which leaves me open. The stun time is around 1.5 seconds but you can easily follow up for a combo which means you can grab or even go into your Super Barrage. It really is the best and easiest combo set up we found.
In the video you can see I get hit by this twice in a row from that time stamp into the same stun grab combo (see again at 6:10). It's a nice bread and butter.

Why Sparky is a good ARM and how it works:
If you charge up your left and right ARMs (providing you have Sparky on both hands) you stun that side of the opponent. So if you get hit with a Right Sparky punch, you can move but lose the right side and the same and vice versa. However, if you get with BOTH Sparky Punches, you lose access to your whole body leaving you open for even more punishment.

So why Sparky?
With Sparky you only need to hit your opponent once which will stun that side/body them. However, any followup attacks which knock them out of stun.
Trident is the name of another Arm which has electrical properties. At 5:50 I hit my friend with a charged Trident. Since it's a triple hit unlike Sparky which is a single, the first hit of Trident causes the stun (what you want) but then the second and third hit cause a heavy knockdown which means you can't really get a follow up combo. Maybe some Oki but I prefer the grab.

The instant charge:
There is a mechanic in this game where you can gain elemental properties to your punches by holding in Dash or Jump or just not attacking for about 2 seconds. Doing this gives you the advantage of elemental damage if you the land a hit. However, we found that by jumping, air dashing and then holding air dash, upon landing you gain the elemental property immediately upon landing. Once we found this, we implemented this into our games on grab knock down.
Perfect examples here:
Mummy - 1:40 and 4:39
Ninjara - 4:03 and 5:17

Stage combos
If you knock the opponent into a bounce pad, you can keep punch them for insane combo damage. I mean I almost managed to do do a 75% combo by activating Super then doing one punch into another punch while my friend was flailing on the bounce pads being knocked back into them. I think for characters like Tronne and Ribbon Girl, this can be pretty good due to their throws. It also give characters like the Mummy a bit more mobility. It's a good stage but can be stupid with Supers activated and when you chain your punches. (see first 40 seconds of the first match. My friend and I utilising the stage pads around us)

Super Cancels:
You can cancel into Super at any point from your punch arm. This means from startup, active, and recovery frame. You can cancel into Super on hit. You can also cancel into Super from Grab on hit and from when the animation shows you throwing the opponent.

Oh and yes, you take chip damage from blocking.

There is still so much more and I'm sure I'm wrong on some stuff but you get the idea. Great game. If you're excited about ARMs, you should be. It's a game to look out

and a video where they demostrate

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting stuff. Definitely seems very Splatoon-esque in having a simple concept, but with added depth once you get down to playing it a bit.

I'm...unsure about this one. I love the character designs, and the game looks fun, but as a primarily single-player gamer, I need a decent story mode to get me pumped for a game.

I wasn't particularly interested in Splatoon until they divulged information on a story mode. I'm hoping history will repeat itself with this game, but it doesn't seem like it lends itself nearly as well to a fun story mode as Splatoon did. *shrug*

I have high hopes for this one. I love everything I've seen so far. The characters are already immediately grabbing me, the visuals are wonderful, it looks like a blast to play, there's a lot of hidden depth there and the soundtrack is already set up for greatness. I think the people who turned their noses up at this one, like they did at Splatoon, are going to be really, really surprised. I have no doubt there will be a single player mode of some sort. The characters are already fully voiced, from the footage we've seen.

So for anyone with doubts, We are getting more characters, Also the director is the same one from MK7/8

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-has-more-characters-to-announce-for-arms/

Nintendo has announced five characters for Arms so far. Players will be able to control Springman, Ribbon Girl, Master Mummy, Mechanica, or Ninjara.

During a stage show for Arms at the Nintendo Switch Experience 2017 in Japan last week, Kosuke Yabuki confirmed that there are more characters than are currently announced. It’s worth noting that Yabuki had been working on the Mario Kart series – with some other games sprinkled in – for ten years before becoming the producer of the Switch title.

There wasn’t a ton of other information shared at the event, but there were a few small tidbits. For example, some stages will have destructible objects. Also mentioned is that special attacks can be guarded, so you have to carefully use it. And the special gauge fills when you punch or get it.

Ultimately the big takeaway is that, yes, more characters are coming for Arms. It’ll be very interesting to see what the designs are like…

• 2 weeks later...

Some really really awesome news, including a simplfied single joycon mode for two player out of the box!!!!

http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-producer-on-the-games-origins-more-news-about-content-to-come-controls-more/

Arms producer on the game’s origins, more news about content to come, controls, more

Posted on February 5, 2017 by Brian(@NE_Brian) in News, Switch

arms-2-656x369.jpg

Famitsu continued its extensive Switch coverage this week by publishing an interview with Kosuke Yabuki, the producer of Arms. This is the first time we’re really able to hear from Yabuki about the game in-depth since its reveal at the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017.

Yabuki explained to Famitsu how Arms came to be, talking about how it emerged as one of Nintendo’s various prototypes and wanting to try something new in the fighting genre. He also teased more content news to come (including characters, arms, and modes), touched on the controls, and more.

We’ve posted our translation of the interview in full below.

Arms was announced at the presentation. How did its development come about?

Nintendo is always coming up with various prototypes for games, and we were involved in that process where ideas go on to become new games. Out of these numerous prototypes, we chose one that would fit well alongside the Switch’s launch, and it became the basis for Arms.

I’m assuming that these prototypes are created to test very basic gameplay concepts. So, what kind of concept did Arms originate as? I would imagine it started as a boxing game where the characters’ arms would stretch out…

No, it was not originally a concept for a boxing game. There are many fighting games, like Street Fighter or Super Smash Bros., or even “3D fighters” like Tekken, where the game is viewed side-on. Since the beginning of fighting games, the side view has been the mainstream, but I’ve always thought, why couldn’t we do it a little differently? However, it can be difficult to gauge depth in games where the camera is behind you. So I was absolutely convinced that it would not be suited for fighting games, which require precise distance control. But the fact that your arms extend, and that it takes a bit of time for them to impact, makes it quite likely your attacks will succeed. My idea was to have the game’s tactics revolve less around whether your attack would hit or not, and more around the timing and delay between your attacks connecting. So in pursuing a new kind of fighting game where the camera is behind you and your arms extend, Arms was born.

When playing, it almost feels as though there’s a shooting mechanic in the game.

They’re punches, but there is an aspect of them that’s similar to missiles, which you’re aiming and looking for a chance to fire.

Honestly speaking, when I first saw the game, I thought it would be like the boxing in Wii Sports, where you’re engaging in very exaggerated punching motions. But, even though you can play Arms like that, if you become skilled enough, you can also evade your opponent’s attacks perfectly, and predict their movements to land your own attacks. So if you put some effort into playing, you’ll be able to enjoy that sort of strategical gameplay.

We had no reason to create another Wii Sports. As someone who worked on Mario Kart, I’m always coming up with ideas to spice up the gameplay by adding unrealistic movements and gimmicks.

At this event, there are five characters available, each with three different types of arms. Will there be more characters in the retail version?

There will be more characters, with more arm types. What we have available today is just a portion of what will be available in the full game. You can look forward to more information gradually coming out as the release date approaches.

I see. And the five characters available here can be divided into the Balanced type, Power type, and Speed type, correct?

That’s right. Everyone has unique basic actions available to them, and stats such as movement speed and the amount of damage they inflict are also dependent on the character.

Surely some are more effective in certain matchups?

Of course. Not only the character, but the type of arms they have equipped as well.

A character can reverse their weaknesses and strengths depending on their arm choice, so players can balance them out.

For example, the Power-type Master Mummy has heavy attacks that can deflect almost any attacks thrown at himself. But if his opponent chose something like the Boomerang Arm, they could bypass his deflection by going around it.

I see. It seems like it would be strategically sound to keep at least one arm ready at all times, instead of sending both out to attack at once.

We’ve let all sorts of people play the game, and after spending some time with it, most of them decide “I shouldn’t punch too often”, and wait to react to their opponent’s attacks instead. But once they pass that stage, they do things like manipulate their opponent’s movements with constant attacks or force them into corners. Their strategic capabilities grow more advanced, so there’s a big difference in how people fight depending on their skill.

You announced a single-player and online mode, but will there be any other modes available?

There are many more that everyone can look forward to… but I can’t talk about them (laughs). Having only 1v1 matches in the online mode would be too exhausting, so there are other modes being prepared. However, the game is boiling down to 1v1 battles in the end, with them as the main focus and the other modes being on the side.

So will those modes be challenging, unlike, say, a party game?

We’re trying to make the kind of game where your skill in 1v1 matches naturally increases as you play the various different modes.

The character designs are quite interesting too. Their arms are things like springs, ribbons, and bandages.

The five characters in the demo are all pretty straightforward, with the ‘spring’ motif as their basis. Well, aside from the girl riding in the robot (laughs). There will be more bizarre characters like her appearing in the game. The cast will be very varied, with everyone having their own unique features.

Is the time period of the game supposed to be set at some point in the future?

I hear that a lot, but it’s not quite ‘the future’. It feels kind of like older comic books to me, but everyone views it differently depending on where and when they grew up.

It’s difficult to explain this game using others as an example, isn’t it?

There are games like the Virtual On and the Gundam VS series that used this kind of camera, and some people have been reminded of them. We spent a lot of time playing games like those, so there are probably some influences from them in Arms.

I see. What was the reason you chose to use the ‘thumbs up pose’ out of the numerous control schemes available?

During the Switch’s development, we were wondering how we could hold the Joy-Con to play games. Even though it supports the standard grip, the Joy-Con fits in your palms nicely if you tilt them. I thought, if we were to make a game that involved swinging the Joy-Con around, it should use that kind of grip. So, we decided to combine the prototype that became the basis for Arms with that grip style. And, since the internal sensors are more accurate, you can control it with much lighter movement, so I don’t think it will be that tiring. Since there will probably be some people who aren’t good at the physical controls, we made it possible to play using the buttons as well. They can use the buttons on the Joy-Con, or the Pro Controller. It is also possible to play using just one Joy-Con, so you can share the fun and play with others.

Can they play without any problems, using only one Joy-Con?

Yes. But their available actions might be a little limited. So you should use two Joy-Con when you’re looking to get serious… that’s how we designed the game.

What were the reactions from people who played the demo at this event?

I think they were able to understand the controls immediately. But many people were using wild movements, perhaps because they were used to doing that on the Wii. Of course we are making it possible for people to enjoy the game like that as well. But we think that once they move past that stage, people will be able to fight more calmly and aim at their opponents, so I think we’ll have to give people different kinds of advice to help them reach that level.

Well, I’m sure if we watched the skilled development staff fight each other, we’d see the kind of intense action you see in international sporting events.

We used the version of the game available here to hold a tournament with members of the development team as participants. When it first kicked off, the people around were like “something’s going on”. But by the semi-finals and the final match, many people had gathered and were causing a ruckus (laughs).

Yeah, I bet they would. After the game launches, it would be exciting to see skilled players gather for some sort of tournament as well.

I’m hoping the game will be able to generate that kind of hype.

Finally, could you say something to the readers who are looking forward to the game?

Arms is a brand new IP, so we’re starting from scratch. Our goal is to make a game with an enjoyable physical control scheme, that also has a lot of strategy and technical gameplay. I look forward to getting feedback from everyone, because I believe this game has aspects that will evolve together with the playerbase. So I hope you’ll look forward to it.