Awoo.

Arms! (Nintendo Switch, June 16, 2017)

Mando-Whirl-Wind

That's awesome anybody else thinking we're getting weekly reveals till E3?

Hm. I hope this game gets an eShop demo. I don't think I'll really enjoy the gameplay, motion controls or not. Fighting games just aren't my thing. But Nintendo is Nintendo, and they've surprised me more times than I can remember. Plus, the character and charm of this game is just undeniably wonderful. It's so out there and whacky that it couldn't be made by anyone except Nintendo. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I feel the same.  I can't imagine playing this because fighting games just aren't my scene, but I'm always really interested in whatever they announce for it.  For the people who like this sort of gameplay, I hope it's great.

I want this game!

When I first was this game at the Switch Reveal I wasn't that interested but everytime I see a new video of this game I want it more and more.

This is far from a traditional fight game. Doubt this is esport league but I saw tights and leggings so I'm sold

• 3 weeks later...

Direct completely sold me on it. A ton of modes and options. Looks incredible. 

M5xWa6k_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Demos for Switch owners starting next week all the way to the Sunday before E3 week. 

aURMplO_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

Also. All DLC is confirmed to be free. Meaning new characters, stages and arms. 

So, someone managed to screencap the mysterious opponent from Grand Prix mode. Looks like he has two forms, as if he's the Champion, then gets possessed by the Arms GOD perhaps? He is so going to be unlockable, well his regular form at least

kQwhCXz.jpg

Allthough the fist head kinda looks like... Biff?!
  • Thumbs Up 1

I was pretty sure that during the Direct I noticed a ? on the character select screen.

The game seems to lack a real story mode, so that kind of kills it for me. I still think the game looks good, but I'm unlikely to use the multiplayer, so it doesn't seem worth it.

6 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

I was pretty sure that during the Direct I noticed a ? on the character select screen.

Probably for Random.

6 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

What's the new girl with the super thick hips name?

Twintelle

• Thumbs Up 1

Still completely uninterested in this game. I just don't see it having much lasting power, when it's just boxing match after boxing match. I dunno. It's original, looks like fun for those who want a different fighting game and the creative design is wonderful. But the gameplay? No thanks. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel the same way. Looks fun, but not $60 fun. Maybe if I had more friends.

• The title was changed to Arms! (Nintendo Switch, June 16, 2017)
  • 2 weeks later...

Testpunch was awesome, also we got our first 2 dedicated arms ads! these will do great on tv

Honestly I still feel motion controls a huge gimmick. I mean watch that ad and tell me it doesn't look goofy as hell.  I'll just keep using my pro

On 5/30/2017 at 8:26 AM, Meta77 said:

Honestly I still feel motion controls a huge gimmick. I mean watch that ad and tell me it doesn't look goofy as hell.  I'll just keep using my pro

Analog controls are gimped, AFAIK there's no way to independently control punches unless you're using the double joycon motion controls, which sounds like at that point you're basically playing with an imaginary twin stick...   Which is probably no coincidence considering that this looks like baby's first Virtual On.  

I tried using joycons to me its way to hectic to use them for this. The pro dis me well

• 3 weeks later...

Just got the game.  It's definitely going to give my arms a workout.  Can't figure out the block - after the practice round, the only time I managed to get the cross-arm block was when I accidentally dropped a joycon.  Tipping the cons toward each other invariably give me a couple of punches.    Smashing up the stage props is fun, as well as throwing a hook around said prop to hit an opponent you can't see.  I doubt my husband will play it with me, but I can probably enlist my brother and nieces next time I visit my folks, so I'll definitely need to get a second set of joycons.

The only problem I've got, really, is that the joycons are just too long for me to put a finger beneath them while still reaching the corner buttons.  Thus I have to be careful I don't push them down out of my grip.  Definitely require the wrist straps for this one.

Bought this today, this game rules.

Haven't played with analog controls, but motion controls are mostly fine - it has a bit of a problem with registering blocking in the heat of the moment, though. However, it feels very fluid in play, and I didn't have many issues with the 'Oh, I didn't want to do THAT' issue of motion controls. Many fuck ups were my own.

The online is actually great, as a guy who didn't really fancy it. It even connected here in China (which is more than this website can say...) and the lobby system is very fast and matches a bunch of players easily. No voice chat, pretty balanced on launch, too many Ninja men, but each game felt fun. I got into a mini rivalry with some dude called Tetsuya (who had a mean Mechanica main and a Spring Man that had decent tech, but exploitable) who I ran into in 2 different lobbies. GG in all sincerity, Tetsuya, GG. If you're out there, friend me. 

I mained Twintelle (because She Thicc, but I may experiment more in the single player mode and find someone who actually has decent default arms) and the game is pretty balanced, although the arcade mode is weird on lower difficulties - some other combatants are bitch AI who wait to die, which surprised me when I got online when those same characters gave more hustle. That's more my fault for playing on baby difficulties and then jumping into online, I guess, but it was a lot of fun finding this out. I think this game might actually have legs.

I was honestly surprised by the fact that this game has a bunch of traditional fighting game tech stuff that I can't do on a controller, and by the fact I could do it by motion controls! It's super fun to throw punches and have them land, or do shit like block your opponents super with your own super, or all die to the fucking Hedlock fights online, all by your own locomotion and power. 

I'm shocked by how much I like this game, Nintendo are on some next level shit here. Buy it.

I hate online games that decrease your rank with a lose but lord is it hard cause unlike most fighting games you can't stop moving

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a new arms fighter for you guys, Misango

Tribal warrior(heavy aztec/mayan influence), has spirit that turns into a mask to give him different buffs

• Thumbs Up 1