Awoo.

ULTRA STREET FIGHTER 2!(Switch)

Mando-Whirl-Wind

Trailer:

There is a new Co-op mode! where two players can work together against an Ai opponent, and even more modes are unnannounced, like that 3D first person mode at 2:10.... This is a completely new version of SF2 with new balancing, modified art, modern and classic appearance.

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/ultra-street-fighter-2-the-final-challengers-switch

• Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers

ESRB RP

Nintendo Switch

•  

•  
  •  
    placeholder-carousel-size.gif
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
GAME DETAILS

The game that rocked the fighting genre in the '90s is back with a host of new features on Nintendo Switch!

Features:

• Features a stellar line-up of characters, including all the original fighters and bosses, the characters added in Super Street Fighter II, plus new additions Evil Ryu and Violent Ken!
  • Choose between classic pixel-art graphics for a retro nostalgia trip, or enjoy a refined new modern look!
  • Use the Joy-Con to challenge a second player anytime, anywhere. Pull off flashy super combos and show your opponent who the strongest is around!
  • In addition to versus action, you can now team up with a friend to take on a CPU opponent together in the new Buddy Battle mode!

This looks AWESOME

Edit: treehouse footage

• Thumbs Up 2

Ew.

It's HD Remix with co-op. Okay.

Also, why do they still feel the need to: "Ooohh, look at these MISTERIOUS characters, who could they be?!"

Bullcrap.

33 minutes ago, Jango said:

Ew.

It's HD Remix with co-op. Okay.

Also, why do they still feel the need to: "Ooohh, look at these MISTERIOUS characters, who could they be?!"

Bullcrap.

But it's not, it's a completely new balance and game setup, with a ton of new modes, including a number we don't know of yet

2 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

But it's not, it's a completely new balance and game setup, with a ton of new modes, including a number we don't know of yet

Stop lying to yourself, it's the same game. What you're saying is exactly what Capcom wants.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

That completely new balance and game setup looks suspiciously like an in between beta of Hyper Street Fighter II and Turbo HD Remix; with what sounds like horrifically compressed voice samples from CvS2 or SFIV thrown in for flavor. It even has some of the same shading errors on the HD character sprites.

Plus, far be it from me to crap on Switch exclusive games, but I'm not sure it's 1996 anymore.

36 minutes ago, Jango said:

Stop lying to yourself, it's the same game. What you're saying is exactly what Capcom wants.

'I'm not the one saying this, the fighting game players who have tried it have. there's all new tech throws

They added a feature from a 1996 game and a feature from a 1997 game in their 2017 revision of a 2008 enhanced port of a 2000 port of a 1994 revision of a 1993 remake of a 1990 game?

So what happens when fighting game players (inevitably) abandon it in favor of Dreamcast Super Turbo again?

• Thumbs Up 1

The Japanese site: http://www.capcom.co.jp/usf2/

There's a price listed. Converting it would make it around $40. In a seemingly continuing trend for the Switch, that's ridiculously overpriced. Hopefully, it's different in the West.

On a side note, a lot of people seem to find HD Remix ugly, but I quite like the look. :-/

1 hour ago, Hero said:

This game is different, there are some new features and new characters added. Casual players won't really care about this, but for people who actually play fighting games often, it's pretty significant

Which would hold more relevance if there was any reason to believe that hardcore players will stick with it beyond the year or so that Capcom hypes it.

Part of the benefit here is that you can now have SF2 portable.

It's still not 1996.

SSFIV 3D edition is a similar case, yet it did fairly well.

SSIV 3D, a port of a year old game?

My two 30ish year old cousins are pretty amped for this. I guess having the last time they played SF be SF2 on SNES is dredging up those nostalgia juices and pumping it through their brains. 

I like SF2 well enough, but it's a shame this wasn't like a street fighter mega collection with SF3 and SFA as well. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

The Japanese site: http://www.capcom.co.jp/usf2/

There's a price listed. Converting it would make it around $40. In a seemingly continuing trend for the Switch, that's ridiculously overpriced. Hopefully, it's different in the West.

On a side note, a lot of people seem to find HD Remix ugly, but I quite like the look. :-/

I've seen it pointed out that Capcom tends to price higher in Japan than here, and so we just have to wait on the official announcement. It's also possible a physical release may be more expensive than the digital too, although it'd hopefully be a $20/$30 ratio.

I also don't mind the artstyle

11 hours ago, Hero said:

This is the very same fighting game that people have played since 1991, but with new added features. What makes you think people will drop it after a year? I'm not quite sure why you're leaning towards people dropping it, when there's only reasons for people to keep playing it if anything, given it's new features and the platform it's coming out on. 

You mean like how they kept playing Hyper Street Fighter II? Which added dozens of "new" characters, all sorts of fun little settings options and tons of customization and had a console release on the lead console of the time that was even packed in with Third Strike?

You mean like how they kept playing Turbo HD Remix, the game this Switch version is obviously sourced from that the fighting game community hated everything about? The obvious basis for this Switch rerelease whose art overhaul the fighting community hated, whose character balance changes the fighting community hated, whose mere concept and the way Killian justified the execution thereof the fighting community hated?

Because I know you're just here to correct some misconceptions, but there have been two full blown new iterations of Super Turbo with major changes released since the Dreamcast port, yet somehow the Dreamcast version is still the only version that gets played short of building a Supergun. It's certainly possible that another version of Super Turbo will this time be the one that everyone flocks to and overthrows the 17 year old Dreamcast version, but there's little reason to actually believe that.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by this, are you saying it's adding a feature from Alpha? That game was released in 1995. 

I'm saying that 1996 is about as late as people would realistically care about a standalone port of Street Fighter II with some gimmicky bonus stuff added on (incidentally, the same gimmicky bonus stuff console ports of Street Fighter games had around 1996) with the amount of reverence people in this thread are acting like it has.

SSFIV 3D edition was a port of SSFIV, which was an updated version of SFIV. Going by that logic, it's really a port of a 3 years old or so game. Alongside that, I'm comparing it to USF2 because it's in a similar boat, and filled a similar niche - both are an updated version of a SF game that gave people the option to play SF on a portable Nintendo console with other features added into the mix. 

Yes, if you strip absolutely all that pesky context surrounding this title with the 3DS version of Super IV, it is quite similar indeed.

I mean, all you have to do is ignore how even at the time of Super IV 3D's release, the game this Switch version is sourced from was already older than Street Fighter IV (nevermind Super); and how it's been 6 additional years since then; and how Super Turbo was already a 14 year old game even when Turbo HD was released; and that the Switch isn't the same thing as the 3DS just because it's portable; and that Turbo HD was originally made as part of the SIV marketing train rather than to stand by itself; and that...

I just came here to say that being a fighting game player myself, there's a lot more significance here than just "It's just SFII again" that I don't expect the casual audience to really understand.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Kuzu the Boloedge said:

I just came here to say that being a fighting game player myself, there's a lot more significance here than just "It's just SFII again" that I don't expect the casual audience to really understand.

Yeah, although it's SF2 is the selling point for the general consumer. It was a massive Phenomena back in the day, and it's supposed to help draw in the nostalgia of parent

• 1 month later...

So we've got a release date (May 24) and the US price: $40

Still ridiculous.

40 I ridiculous for this. I've been playing fighters since the early 90s. No one's flipping tables on this  oh new tech throws. Ok? Honestly most us in the fg community look for new games and things that make tournaments. Sf2 is not really up there in importance

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree with you guys that the price for this is ridiculous. With that being said though... *sigh* I'll probably end up buying this anyway. I plan to take my Switch around with me a lot, and this game will be perfect to load up and play a few rounds with friends from time to time. There are definitely worse ways to spend $40.

Also I really like the HD Remix art...

Shrugs, part of it is probably physical premium as well.

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Shrugs, part of it is probably physical premium as well.

And yet there's several indie games that have gone physical, and still retain either their original price point as their digital counterparts, or at most, add a tiny amount on. So no, that's no excuse.

• Thumbs Up 1

And here I am still rocking The King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match on my PS2. Granted if my 360 still worked I'd still be hooked on SoulCalibur V, and the big reason that I'm playing the former is because I can no longer play the original at the arcades (not that there are any arcades where I live). With that said I'd certainly wait before purchasing an update of an update of an update of an… sure, I bought the mobile version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2, but that came with a full, "new" level (Hidden Palace Zone) and it only cost me 'bout $4.

On 1/14/2017 at 5:03 AM, Hero said:

Part of the benefit here is that you can now have SF2 portable.

Remember Super Street Fighter II Turbo Revival on the GameBoy Advance? redneck.gif

Man, I sure am glad this Completely New Title for the Nintendo Switch is still not at all a Warmed Over Port of a 9-Year-Old PS360 Remake of a Game From 1994 that costs 300% more than the one where they did most of the actual work on.

Along with the returning convenience of Friend Codes, I'm sure the community will accept it with open arms after shunning the Completely Unrelated, Honest title from 2008. Especially since it even features that helpful functionality from the CvS2:EO and SSFIV:3DS that allowed you to play Guile and similar characters like the AI played Shang Tsung in MKII.

EVO 2018 GotY, I'm sure.

• Thumbs Up 2

I believe the Advance still had shoulder buttons which I'm used to after playing Street Fighter games on the PS2.

Honestly my only problem with SSF2TR (besides that ridiculously long name) is that, at least in the Western version, if you successfully performed all of the requirements to fight Akuma the game would crash… and not only that, it would subsequently glitch out all of your records.

• 2 months later...

So... has anyone else picked this up, now that it's been released? I know there understandably hasn't been a whole lot of hype with this game, but I figured I'd give my impressions anyway. I accepted the fact that I was being ripped off a bit and bought this at launch.

Yeah, basically, this is just Super Street Fighter II on the Switch with a few extra things. I personally like the remastered graphics, but if that's not your thing, you can always switch to the original, same as with the music and voice samples. As for the new music, it's kind of all over the place. Some of the new remixes I really like, such as Cammy's, Ryu's, and Ken's themes, but a lot of them just don't sound very good to me at all. Guile's theme sounds disappointingly un-epic.

As for the extras: The art gallery is pretty nice, and there are quite a lot of pages of artwork to scroll through, including a lot of stuff that I personally had never seen before. I probably won't be going back to it any time soon though. The custom color set is a cool little feature that's fun to play around in for a bit. After creating a few color sets though, the novelty starts to wear off. It was still nice being able to make a version of Cammy with dark hair and tan skin.

Way of the Hado... what the hell, Capcom? This just makes me think of a forgettable experience from the Wii launch era when everyone was trying to get in on the motion control fad. No one wanted this.

So yeah, when it comes down to it, the price is way too high for what you're getting, and I don't think I could necessarily recommend it to people. With that being said though, I personally don't regret buying it myself. I knew exactly what I was getting, and I've been having fun with it. Also, it will be good to have a version of Street Fighter that I can take with me at all times and set up randomly if I find someone interested in a fight.

Even though I stil have yet to get a Switch (damn scalpers and supply shortages), I do know that this would be the closest we can get to having a remake of the finale to the Street Fighter II animated movie (which is 100 times better than the live action film, despite what Bennet may say).

The way I can see it being done in Dramatic Battle Mode would be Violent Ken and Dictator vs. Ryu (mainly because Violent Ken technically debuted in the animated film) and then the classic Ryu and Ken vs. Dictator, as presented in Street Fighter Alpha.