Awoo.

THREE New Fire Emblem Games Announced (Switch, New 3DS, Mobile)

Zippo

Fire Emblem Heroes, the previously announced mobile game, was confirmed for February 2nd, on Android and iOS devices.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/821844046083538944

A remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, was confirmed for 3DS, releasing May 19th.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/821841059613315072

Fire Emblem Warriors was confirmed for a fall release for both Switch and New 3DS.

https://mobile.twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/821841707901722625

Last but not least of course, a new main series game is coming to Nintendo Switch in 2018. More details to follow, presumably at E3.

Screenshot_2017-01-18-16-07-50-1.png

I'm most excited for the Gaieden remake. The character art is lovely, and it looks like a pretty faithful reimagining.

I skipped out on Fates, but I'm intrigued by Echoes; its more conventional RPG framework tilts a little closer to my interests.  I could see myself giving Fire Emblem another shot if it's like this.

Also, I believe Echoes is the first time a Fire Emblem game will release everywhere globally within the same week. Crazy.

C2fiUISWIAIIikY.png:large

So, why two subtitles? Why call a game "Echoes" when "Shadows of Valentia" would suffice just fine? The game could have been called Fire Emblem Gaiden: Shadows of Valentia and it would work just fine, because we still know its indeed Fire Emblem Gaiden, just an enhanced version of it.

So, why Echoes?

noun

plural noun: echoes
a close parallel or repetition of an idea, feeling, style, or event

Calling it right now. This is a new subseries. We are legitimately, genuinely, holy **** really, getting remakes of the older FE titles now.  <33333

• Thumbs Up 6

I pre-registered Heroes on the Google Store as soon as I saw the link, can't wait to try it out! Gameplay looks addictive and the chibis are adorable.

But that is, being a gacha game...I'm prepared for the salt xD

7 hours ago, -Robin- said:

C2fiUISWIAIIikY.png:large

So, why two subtitles? Why call a game "Echoes" when "Shadows of Valentia" would suffice just fine? The game could have been called Fire Emblem Gaiden: Shadows of Valentia and it would work just fine, because we still know its indeed Fire Emblem Gaiden, just an enhanced version of it.

So, why Echoes?

Calling it right now. This is a new subseries. We are legitimately, genuinely, holy **** really, getting remakes of the older FE titles now.  <33333

Here's hoping. I really would like to see Geneology, Thracia, and Binding Blade get Echoes releases, too. (Well, maybe they'd merge Geneology and Thracia's events...)

I just wish this was also on Switch.

20 minutes ago, Ristar said:

I pre-registered Heroes on the Google Store as soon as I saw the link, can't wait to try it out! Gameplay looks addictive and the chibis are adorable.

But that is, being a gacha game...I'm prepared for the salt xD

I kinda expected it to be a gacha game tbh.

Love the next main title is Switch exclusive for 2018, Warriors in 2017. While there is another option to Switch, its only new 3DS, so its not that bad.

I really hope they dump child characters this time. It was neat to see it come back but it was shoehorned into Fates and right now its holding the series back.

I really wish we got more info on FE Warriors than just some brief gameplay. But it makes sense they wanted to focus a lot of time on explaining everything about FE Mobile.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

I really hope they dump child characters this time. It was neat to see it come back but it was shoehorned into Fates and right now its holding the series back.

Completely agreed. The idea that every character boned off-camera and then went on a maternity leave inside a Hyperbolic Time Chamber so that they could pop out a kid to neglect completely killed any sense of believability the world had to begin with.  I hope they drop kids, and I also hope we get fewer romantic supports + characters marrying on the spot. Support system in general needs scaling back, IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

Fire Emblem Heroes is available in all regions on Android and iOS.

I just finished the Prologue, and the game is exactly what I expected: Fire Emblem Lite.

Few points to make about the battle system:

- Everyone's got a single weapon, which has infinite durability like in Fates and Gaiden. This weapon can be powered up. 

- Experience Point acquirement is done at an inflated rate compared to the main titles. Healing units gives 30 EXP, while defeating enemies can net you EXP upwards of 70-100 in a single go. Standard combat Exp, when you deal damage but not kill the enemy, however is pretty typical of main games.

- There are no hit rates. Every hit is 100% accurate. 

- There are no critical hit rates. 

- The Attack stat covers calculation for physical hits, and magical hits. The values for healing with staves are done with set values, aka Heal will always restore 5 HP.

- Every unit can learn an Assist Skill, which activates by dragging the unit on the interface over to the unit you want to assist. This can be done for advanced healing, stat boosts, etc.

- Units do not die, only retreat. There are maps where a perfect run is required for completion.

- Every unit has a Special Skill, which is kept track of via a point gauge that increases with every turn of combat the unit partakes in. By filling this Special Gauge up to full, units get a special bonus to their attack for the next time they initiate combat - 50% more power, and area of effect bonus before battle begins, etc. 

- Skills, Special or Assist, and new Weapons are learned via a new SP stat, which increases as you level up, and comes with its own growth rate. You are guaranteed to get SP with every level up, but the amount gained with each level up might vary. The SP is not a tiered system: rather than having instant free access to skills once you gain enough SP, you instead pay for Skills using the SP you've allocated. Some Skills and Weapons are gated off until you have learned prerequisite Skills, or the unit has leveled up in Star Value (3 Stars to 4 Stars, etc.)

- Not all units start out with a SPecial Skill or Assist Skill, and the Clerics in traditional fashion don't start out with Weapons. These can all be initially unlocked via the aforementioned SP system

All in all, it's a basic battle system with enough depth in it to make up for the lack of risk-reward that came with Hit rates and Crit rates. I actually really appreciate the concept of the Special Skill system, I'd love to see this implemented in main Fire Emblem games.

• Thumbs Up 1

So far my file has seen the completion of the World of Conquest as well as unlocking several characters:  Robin, Cain, Sophia, Cherche, Niles, Lazslow, Fir, and Tiki.  My file is currently named "Kamui" as a nod to Corrin's Japanese name.

Also I am satisfied that the previously unvoiced now have a voice to go with them.  Especially our boy Roy, now voiced by Ray Chase.  Although seeing Lani Minella replaced as the voice of Lyndis by Wendee Lee has me worried: are they replacing the original Seattle cast from Radiant Dawn as well?

And I am going to say that Arthur looks hilarious in his battle portraits, making him look more like a comic book super hero.

• 3 months later...

592d0110e8bf6.jpg

592cffffd69aa.jpg

Promotion for Warriors is finally starting to ramp up. Marth Confirmed.  The game's story will star brand new characters. We should be getting a blowout two weeks from today. 

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/fire-emblem-warriors-adds-twin-original-protagonists-marth-chrom

The characters that appear are generally from Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light and Fire Emblem Awakening, as well as Fire Emblem Fates. This won’t be a gathering of the protagonists from across the series.

1473672761748.thumb.jpg.037f1eeb552cd8f39249e87c267b41fb.jpg

And here i was hoping Lyn was about to get more recognition these days.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought this might happen after they showed those weapons in the original CG trailer. It was always obvious that series weren't going to get equal representation but this is pretty lame. Hopefully there are a few exceptions, or others make it in as DLC. 

Awakening and Fates have some of the series' worst characters. 

I think "generally" is the key word there. Even if the bulk of characters come from the more recognisable entries, we know Nintendo knows what characters are popular, thanks to the Heroes poll prior to that game's release.

Pretty much anyone who was in Smash or scored highly in the poll (which Lyn actually topped, if I remember right?) has a good shot of making it into Warriors, and even if they don't make the initial cut, well, Hyrule Warriors boosted its roster with DLC by about a third, so, y'know. There's hope.

Yeah, I've seen mixed statements. Some things state "only" from the newer games, others say "mostly."

If its "mostly", we can easily anticipate to see Ike, Lyn, and probably Roy as well. I'd say maybe every character with an amiibo but I don't know how popular Celica and Alm are yet and for most people, they only have just been able to get to know them.

Really hoping for Celica, though, because I just love Celica in Valentia so much

Spoiler

Other than a bit of idiot ball they give her in her Act 4

Been playing it to death for the past week or so and I really love it a lot. (I don't expect Celica but I'd like to see her.)

I do expect Ike and Lyn at least, though. If we get anyone not from those games, we'll definitely see Ike and Lyn (with Roy as a distant third).

1 hour ago, ProfessorZolo said:

I think "generally" is the key word there. Even if the bulk of characters come from the more recognisable entries, we know Nintendo knows what characters are popular, thanks to the Heroes poll prior to that game's release.

Pretty much anyone who was in Smash or scored highly in the poll (which Lyn actually topped, if I remember right?) has a good shot of making it into Warriors, and even if they don't make the initial cut, well, Hyrule Warriors boosted its roster with DLC by about a third, so, y'know. There's hope.

I waited all the lifespan of HW (twice counting the encore with the 3DS version) waiting for Vaati. Same goes for Warriors All-Stars waiting for Monster Rancher or Gitaroo Man content.
Pardon me if i don't exactly have hope at this point.

I've only ever beaten Awakening and Fates, so...

I'm trying to play through Sacred Stones too though, so Eirika would be cool... But I feel like she'd be pretty much identical to Marth.

Since it says "generally", I'm gonna assume Alm will make it in. Echoes seems very popular.

On 5/30/2017 at 8:16 AM, ProfessorZolo said:

Pretty much anyone who was in Smash or scored highly in the poll (which Lyn actually topped, if I remember right?) 

Lyn topped it, but if you combined both the Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn iterations of Ike, he actually got the most votes out of any character. 

Anyway, the official site is out. (Japanese)

http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/fe/

chara04_01.jpg

chara03_04.jpg

More screenshots on the site itself. The game sure looks pretty, if nothing else. 

• 2 weeks later...