Awoo.

Why do/don't you like Mighty?

libertyernie

When you think of scrapped characters, Mighty the Armadillo is often in the list. You know the story; he was in that one arcade game, made an unlikely reappearance in Chaotix, and hasn't been seeeen since (except for Gems Collection's picture collection.)

Discussion topic: Do you like Mighty or not? Why? (design, personality, etc.)

As for me, I think he's OK, but not one of my all-time favorites. He's just my avatar because I know how to draw him. :P

The comics made me like Mighty at first, but now that I'm older and wiser, the only thing I like about him is his character design. His character doesn't make sense, he's a travelling pacifist who just happens to be really strong? Yeaah... Other than that we hardly know anything about him, but I guess he's a friend of both Sonic and Knuckles now through complete coincidence huh?

Gotta agree though, when someone says "scrapped characters", Mighty is DEFINITELY the first thing to pop into everyone's head.

Considering that he was created to have the exact same capabilities as Sonic, I think he would be more useful as a multiplayer skin or something like that.

Maybe it´s just the design or because he only appeared in one game and we don´t know anything about his personality.

I agree with Phos, but somewhere in my mind I reaaaaaalllly wanted him to be in Heroes instead of Vector...I feel as if it would make more sense for Charmy's weight flying capabilities and I don't like Vector as much as I like Mighty.

I think I just didn't like the fact he was just a Sonic rehash made me slightly sad. I kind of thought they'd have put some more effort into him but I guess at the time that was the best they could do. What I do like though is his design it at least makes sense why he can roll into a ball and do all the stuff Sonic can.

I'm not sure how many people know this but Mighty's not actually a member of Chaotix, just a traveller, so it's not all that surprising he wasn't in Heroes.

Honestly I think it's the notion that he was quite literally a "recolored Sonic" in Knuckles Chaotix. To me? Not so much. He had a few things going for him that made his appearance original. First, he is one of the few characters whose real life counterpart actually rolls into a ball for protection (lol sense in a Sonic game) so he works easily with classic Sonic gameplay. Second, he was the one that originally had the ability to wall kick. I don't think it was picked up again until Sonic and Co could do the triangle jump in Heroes, and more recently gained in Sonic Unleashed. Even then it is still unique in control, since you could aim it. Third, you could simply give him a small redesign like all old characters post Sonic Adventure and add an actual personally to distance himself from the cast.

Another reason is that people believe there are more deserving characters to be brought back first. We have Fang, possibly the most sought after older character ever. Bean, Bark, and Ray also make the cut as being designed more "unique." We also have the unused character Honey the Cat from Sonic the Fighters which would add another female to the cast.

Honestly I just want the older characters to come back instead of introducing character of the week who becomes important to a plot defeat monster of the week. :/

EDIT: Link added for those who don't know who Honey is.

Edited by Rauzaruke

Oh really? I haven't played the game since it was never on anything I could access. That's interesting though. I still feel as if he's been around the Chaotix to be a member :3 But that's still just me not wanting Vector to be in the new games.

Oh god, Mighty. Fuck Mighty. Of all the characters in the series whose popularity baffles me, none do as much as Mighty.

First game, they make 2 throwaway characters so they can have a 3-player arcade game. Mighty is nothing more than a Player 2, he plays the same as Sonic, he's got no personality as far as I know, and his design is very obviously just Sonic with a shell and funny ears. He's a complete nonentity.

Second game, Mighty only gets in because they took Sonic out. Mighty's sprites are edited straight from Sonic's sprites from Crackers, so pretty much everything Mighty does is just what Sonic would be doing. Again, the character is just filler; shoved in as just another face to play as, no personality to call his own, nothing unique about him (and this in the game with some of the most unique characters in the series).

And that's the entirety of his existence gamewise. He is filler, a Sonic clone with nothing to call his own. His name doesn't even make much sense, considering he hasn't shown any sort of exceptional physical strength.

What is there even to like? Anything besides the unfitting name and rip-off design belongs to Sonic, and anything else is just in your head.

I agree with Phos, but somewhere in my mind I reaaaaaalllly wanted him to be in Heroes instead of Vector...I feel as if it would make more sense for Charmy's weight flying capabilities and I don't like Vector as much as I like Mighty.
If Cream can carry Big, Charmy can carry Vector.

I'm not sure how many people know this but Mighty's not actually a member of Chaotix, just a traveller, so it's not all that surprising he wasn't in Heroes.
But here's the thing, no one was a member of the Chaotix until Heroes. Everyone in Chaotix (the game) just ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time coincidentally and had to work together to get out.
  • Thumbs Up 2

well, this is coincidence, I was looking for images of Mighty at deviantart just now Xd

Well, I played chaotix long ago. At first I didn't thought it was a great character, he was a copy of sonic after all. But recently I downloaded Sonic 1 megamix(where he is playable) and for some reason he got on me. I realized I liked his character design more than most of the characters(sorry shadow, you're just a supersonic copy). I don't know anything about his personality though(in the games ha had none¬¬)

Oh god, Shadow. Fuck Shadow. Of all the characters in the series whose popularity baffles me, none do as much as Shadow.

First game, they make 2 throwaway characters so they can have 3 evil characters match the 3 on the good side. Shadow is nothing more than a Player 2, he plays the same as Sonic, he's got an angsty personality as far as I know, and his design is very obviously just a black Sonic with red stripes. He's a complete nonentity.

Second game, Shadow only gets in because they couldn't have Sonic for all the speed characters. Shadow's model is edited straight from Sonic's model from the same game, so pretty much everything Shadow does is just what Sonic would be doing. Again, the character is just filler; shoved in as just another face to play as, no personality to call his own, nothing unique about him (and this in the game with some of the most unique characters in the series).

And that's the entirety of his existence gamewise. He is filler, a Sonic clone with nothing to call his own. His name actually makes much sense, considering all he is Sonic's Shadow.

What is there even to like? Anything besides the fitting name and rip-off design belongs to Sonic, and anything else is just in your head.

Good god I am so sorry everyone. Diogenes, I simply couldn't resist. XD

Edited by Rauzaruke

Maybe it´s just the design or because he only appeared in one game and we don´t know anything about his personality.

I think that's the issue.

We don’t know nearly enough about Mighty from the games to form any opinion about him.

Archie Mighty however, is simply brilliant. He’s funny and has an interesting back story. (Both of his origins and connections to Sonic). He brings a lighthearted approach to fight scenes (Gray always draws him playing rather than fighting) and even when in the background shots, he is a joy (sleep wrestling with Espio FTW). Its hard not to like that iteration of the ‘Dillo.

Mighty had a cool design, but he feels too much like Sonic. He might be cool as having lived in Blaze's Dimension with Ray, but overall he's just Sonic with a shell and wall kick.

Fang has far more potential, and Honey and Tiara just for the fact that they are female.

Basically everything that Diogenes said. Mighty and Ray have absolutely nothing going for them, and really never had a purpose except to be extra filler characters in two far drawn-out games. Mighty is a Sonic clone through and through, with nothing really to work with at all. Even some other "clone" characters at least have in-depth personalities and backstories, and have other abilities that are not things Sonic use (and some of the things Sonic can do they cannot), as is the case with Tails, Shadow, and Blaze, among others (these three were listed because they WERE nothing more than a Sonic clone in their debut game; though Shadow had slightly more going for him than the others as Sonic had a couple abilities he did not).

And yes, "Team Chaotix" itself wasn't created until Sonic Heroes, and it was merely named after the game that the three characters first appeared in. Frankly, they were the best choice, as when you look back to the past, the most unique characters you see that were not in the present games were Espio, Vector, Charmy, and Fang. Bean and Bark were close behind, but their SOLE appearance was Sonic the Fighters, which wasn't really much of a Sonic game, so it makes sense that they weren't added (heck, in Fighters Megamix Bean and Bark were chosen because they were created by the same team that created the game).

The only way Mighty is coming back is if they severely revamp him, as the only thing unique about him is his appearance.

EDIT: Yeah, people mention Shadow. Of course. I knew they would, despite the fact that Shadow had a lot going for him other than gameplay, and even then, at least he had abilities which could be added in to enhance his gameplay; something which Sonic hardly had anything of (Sonic can only use small amounts of Chaos Control). Shadow's backstory, personality, and abilities are a lot different from Sonic. Mighty doesn't even have that, so you can't bring up the argument.

Edited by UltimaHedgie

XD That made too much sense for what it was.

Boring character made to fill space with no sort of backstory, personality or character. The video game character equivalent of increasing the font size and row width on your school essay to make it seem longer and fill more pages.

I will never, ever understand how on earth he's managed to gather this cult of rabid fans around himself but then again, this is the fandom where a glitched up recolour ended up becoming an unofficial official character in people's eyes.

Edited by Flint

As valid as some of those points are, and as much as I dislike Shadow, even he has a hell of a lot more going for him than Mighty. Shadow actually had a personality of his own, generic as it may be, and he was essential to the plot when he was introduced. Plus, moreso recently than when he first showed up, they've dug into the whole Chaos Control thing as a way to separate him from Sonic.

As I mentioned in my edit above, Shadow had something that Sonic did not--Chaos Control. Sonic had a small amount of it, but that's about it. And even then, he barely uses it. Mighty doesn't have anything unique about him except appearance. The argument is somewhat comparable, and Shadow's return sucked ass, I'll agree, but Mighty is far, far worse.

The argument isn't comparable at all because Shadow's become an established character in his own right, he's got his own gimmicks, own storylines and such things despite starting off as a Sonic clone. Mighty on the other hand has never got any sort of character development because he was thrown into the trashbin after he had served his paperthin purpose. When you talk about Shadow, you can ramble about his special Chaos Control skills, his past, his personality, his story and whatnot. With Mighty you can state his name, species and the games he appeared in and that's it.

Edited by Flint

That is a good point, he hasn't even gotten past any sort of game to even have a storyline. And for that I kind of almost tried to think about what would happen if he had gotten attention after his games. That would be interesting.

I don't like him, he's just a really undeveloped character who rarely appeared so I don't know much about him, really. He had no personality in the few games he was in, I never read his stories in Sonic the Comic and the Archie Sonic comics, so I really don't have an opinion on him. I don't like him because he looks boring and uninteresting, plus he's pretty ugly, I hate his design.

In that case I feel like many more popular characters share the same raw label. Maybe I'm just trying to provoke more opinions, but what about the other characters who were only in two or so old games that seem more popular than Mighty? Ex: Fang and Bean? Are they just cooler and more original, cos that's probably what it is.