Awoo.

Square Enix/Marvel Games

AlphaRuby

Marvel Entertainment and Square Enix announced today a multi-year, multi-game partnership, leading with the reveal of The Avengers project. This newly established partnership pairs the creative minds at Marvel and Square Enix for one of the most powerful alliances in interactive entertainment.

A game based on beloved Marvel heroes, The Avengers project is being crafted by Crystal Dynamics – longtime developers of the award winning Tomb Raider series – in collaboration with lauded Deus Ex developer Eidos-Montréal.

The Avengers project is being designed for gamers worldwide and will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise. Featuring a completely original story, it will introduce a universe gamers can play in for years to come. More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018. 

I don't particularly care for the Avengers, but this could be cool with those teams working on it. Just keep Nomura away from the designs ;D

The announcement is crap, though. If you have nothing to show, don't bother. Don't just show a generic CG trailer and say "Stay tuned for next year!"

Spoiler

Now give me X-Men.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's kind of frustrating that Marvel and Square Enix go to all this trouble of announcing a huge partnership but don't actually explain what sort of game is being made. This 'Avengers project' could be interesting but thus far there is absolutely nothing to go on.

Besides, on a more personal note, I'd rather see Crystal Dynamics making a new Legacy of Kain game. Give me Blood Omens 3 and/or Soul Reaver 3!

3 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

If it comes out on the Switch I might give it a try.

Same basically.

Ok, so now we have Sqe, Capcom, and Insomaniac(backed by Sony) making Marvel games... I wonder if Next-Level Games backed by Nintendo may be in the cards, they've improved greatly since their Spiderman Friend or Foe days(which was still a pretty solid game). Could totally see them pitching something fun and quirky like an Ant-man or squirrel Girl game

17 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I don't particularly care for the Avengers, but this could be cool with those teams working on it. Just keep Nomura away from the designs ;D

Seeing as the project is fronted by Square Enix Europe, not Japan, you'll have nothing to worry about lol

At best it'll just be their CG studio doing cutscenes like with the recent Tomb Raider games

It excites me knowing this is happening. But I'm a little annoyed that I have to wait a year for more info on this.

It's a bit silly having an annoucement for an announcement with nothing to show off until next year. Great that they starting work on the project but nothing to show for it and could end up being cancelled. Wasn't there plans for an Avengers game a while back? Judging by the two developers in charge though, I'm assuming that it'll be either something like Deus Ex with the Avengers or an action-adventure game, maybe even both. I can see some Deus Ex/modern Tomb Raider style upgrade elements with Iron Man, the Tomb Raider 2013 bow & arrow gameplay for Hawkeye or Black Widow being like Agent 47 with stealth. It'll be interesting how they handle the other characters that are more combat based such as Captain America or the Hulk since it'll be a bit out of their comfort zone.

It's most likely for the PS4 (Pro), Xbox Scorpio and the PC. I can only see a Switch version if Straight Right/Tantalus decides to port the game. Then again it could easily be a mobile game and would have gotten the prediction all wrong.

Well we do need more big non indie switch games so I'd like that but honestly if there doing this and making it a true action type game I'd rather see it running on all 4s instead of diminishing what could be done with the game on ps4 and pc just to get running on switch

It's so bizarre seeing Marvel passing from having almost all its licensed games to SEGA and Activision to being extremely close-minded and removing everything not related to Disney Infinity to now resurrecting Marvel vs. Capcom and striking a deal with Square-Enix of all people.

I have no idea what will come out of this, one way or the other.

• Thumbs Up 2

This has me very interested. I love the Avengers and I love Square's games(even though the company itself is bleh), so I'm hoping whatever this is is worth the long ass wait for news.

Marvel and Square Enix is an interesting team-up, and I am hoping the games are multi-platform, not just Playstation exclusive like Kingdom Hearts

Kh was ps exclusive for long time cause xbox sales in japan were horrid and still are. And at that point Nintendo wonky disc also cut down on data storage if I Remer correctly

3 hours ago, Meta77 said:

diminishing what could be done with the game on ps4 and pc just to get running on switch

There's not really any evidence to prove this assumption of your's that suggests that a downgrade for the Switch would be all that required though.

• Thumbs Up 1

The switch is not have the same power output. The game or games for it will be good. I am saying I'd rather a game be pushed to its full potential without trying to figure it will run on all three if one can't run something then don't waste resources looking for a way.

If it's in unreal 4, it's not that big a deal, it's an engine designed for scaling that Nvidia and Nintendo have absolutely catered the Switch for. It may not have the same raw power, but every part of the switches hardware is more modern than whats in the main consoles, and a lot more efficent. It's not a matter of raw specs here

2 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The switch is not have the same power output. The game or games for it will be good. I am saying I'd rather a game be pushed to its full potential without trying to figure it will run on all three if one can't run something then don't waste resources looking for a way.

Well no duh, it doesn't have the same power output; no console's got the same stats. But there's no evident difference in power that supports the claim that it would be requiring of a notable notable downgrade. Having UE4 also is a good benchmark of showing that it won't be as liable as the Wii U to fall behind.

With flimsy reasoning like that, you might as well be complaining that multi-platform games are being held back by Xbone compared to the PS4.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how we just found out about these games and we literally only know they exist, and yet it's already spiraled into a "will Nintendo get it" debate.

Anyway, I'm not thrilled to hear that Square Enix is the one that's making Avengers. I'm not a huge fan of how they've handled their other franchises. The Deux Ex devs being involved gives me a little hope though.

It's already showing the usual Square Enix bad signs though. 2018 for more info? Are they getting any game out anytime soon?

2 hours ago, Josh said:

I like how we just found out about these games and we literally only know they exist, and yet it's already spiraled into a "will Nintendo get it" debate already.

Anyway, I'm not thrilled to hear that Square Enix is the one that's making Avengers. I'm not a huge fan of how they've handled their other franchises. The Deux Ex devs being involved gives me a little hope though.

It's already showing the usual Square Enix bad signs though. 2018 for more info? Are they getting any game out anytime soon?

Announcing things early and announcing announcements?

• Thumbs Up 1

Square Enix's shift in focus to its recently-announced multi-game Marvel project, combined with underwhelming sales of last year's Mankind Divided, mean the Deus Ex franchise has been placed on hiatus, Eurogamer understands.

(...)

Back at Eidos Montreal, a small team is currently aiding Crystal Dynamics' Avengers project and, Eurogamer has heard, in the early stages of production on the second Marvel game based around Guardians of the Galaxy. This project will be lead by Eidos Montreal.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-30-dont-expect-another-deus-ex-game-anytime-soon

Fuck :-(

• 11 months later...

https://www.polygon.com/2018/1/24/16927574/marvel-avengers-game-crystal-dynamics-development-team

Crystal Dynamics (one of the Square Enix-owned developers working on the new Marvel project) have hired quite a few industry veterans, including ex-Naughty Dog creative director Shaun Escayg and Stephen Barry who was a 27-year veteran of EA and Visceral Games.