Square Enix/Marvel Games

AlphaRuby

21 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

So, Avengers got delayed:

When was that game supposed to release?

3 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

When was that game supposed to release?

The original release date was May 15th.

More time to polish stuff. I actually thought May was a bit too early, and since The Last of Us 2 also comes out in May, September seens like a better fit for the Avengers to shine. Marvel's Spider-man also came out on early September ;)

• 5 months later...

Oh yeah, this game exists. I keep forgetting about it because it just went radio silent for the longest time 

It slipped my mind to post anything about this here when it was announced, but there's gonna be a stream today that reveals more info about the game. It starts at 1:00 PM EST.

Why would Kamala wear armor? It seems it wouldn’t work well considering her ability is all about shape shifting.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a date for the next War Table stream, and it's about the beta... which we now also have dates for:

• 2 weeks later...

Not surprised, given both the film and game deals Sony has with Marvel.

Still kind of sucks though. Even if I'm gonna be getting this on PS4, locking off Spidey of all people behind a console exclusivity deal is absolute shit.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Marvel really wants to build a game universe, and attaching the "Marvel's" in each of these game's logos is their way to separate them from the ones that came before them, which many actually even had Spider-man (MvC, Ultimate Alliance 3 and the LEGO games) in every console. Perhaps Spidey could end up being timed exclusive, since it's implied that this is not the same from the PS4 game. Who knows. Still called it :P Probably gonna learn more in this week State of Play.

Well, to say I have mixed emotions about this is an understatement. As a Spidey fan, I'm happy he made it into the game at all. As someone who pre-ordered the game on Steam, I'm really upset that he's exclusive (at least, for now). Still, considering he had a hit game on PS4, this was a likelihood.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go over there and seethe in jealousy.

2 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not surprised, given both the film and game deals Sony has with Marvel.

Still kind of sucks though. Even if I'm gonna be getting this on PS4, locking off Spidey of all people behind a console exclusivity deal is absolute shit.

Even in that context it makes no sense when Ultimate Alliance 3 released AFTER Spider-Man PS4 and Spider-Man was available there. 

Just now, KHCast said:

Even in that context it makes no sense when Ultimate Alliance 3 released AFTER Spider-Man PS4 and Spider-Man was available there. 

Ultimate Alliance 3 didn't release on PS4. Sony doesn't have exclusive game rights to Spidey as a character, but when a multiplatform game is coming to PS4, Xbox and so on, I'd wager it's fairly easy for Sony to make a deal for exclusivity for Spider-Man, especially with Miles on the horizon.

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Ultimate Alliance 3 didn't release on PS4. Sony doesn't have exclusive game rights to Spidey as a character, but when a multiplatform game is coming to PS4, Xbox and so on, I'd wager it's fairly easy for Sony to make a deal for exclusivity for Spider-Man, especially with Miles on the horizon.

I doubt that making him exclusive here will impact the hype or sales of the Miles game all that much, (if anything id say that would only limit the interest actually) so if that was the mentality at Sony regarding this decision, can’t say I think it’s smart. If anything, Spider-Man being available on all consoles, could have possibly allowed him to be more integrated into the story as a character, gotten people to enjoy him a lot because of that, and then they’d be more inclined to look up the PlayStation Spidey games and see if those are up their alley.

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

I doubt that making him exclusive here will impact the hype or sales of the Miles game all that much, (if anything id say that would only limit the interest actually) so if that was the mentality at Sony regarding this decision, can’t say I think it’s smart. If anything, Spider-Man being available on all consoles, could have possibly allowed him to be more integrated into the story as a character, gotten people to enjoy him a lot because of that, and then they’d be more inclined to look up the PlayStation Spidey games and see if those are up their alley.

My point isn't about building hype for Miles. My point is that Sony already has a number of deals with Marvel in regards to both game, and movie rights to the character, already has one of the most successful first party games starring the character released, and has another one in the horizon, Sony know full well how popular and beloved Spidey is as a character (regardless of if it's the PS4!Spidey or any incarnation of the character). 

The decision makes more than enough sense from Sony's point of view - having Spider-Man in their version of the game is not only a big plus compared to other versions, but would also be a fairly easy deal to make between their ties to Square, and their ties to Marvel already. 

It still sucks that Spidey is exclusive to the PS4 version, no character should be exclusive, and the fact it now means Spidey can't have any impact in the game's story sucks even more, but the reasons why Sony made the deal, and how easy it would've been with their current connections as is, especially with the semi-sequel to their last highly praised team-up with Marvel coming in a few months time, it would've been easy for Sony to make this exclusivity deal.

My point is that I don’t see how the decision to make him exclusive actually does anything to help this version or Sony both in the long and short term. The reasons for it while sound (at least by a corporations definition) don’t translate to working out in their favor reception or economic wise. By definition all they’re doing is excluding people. What is the actual hope in doing this? That Xbox and PC users that are interested, that likely have already preordered, will cancel them and buy PlayStation’s? 

25 minutes ago, KHCast said:

My point is that I don’t see how the decision to make him exclusive actually does anything to help this version or Sony both in the long and short term. The reasons for it while sound (at least by a corporations definition) don’t translate to working out in their favor reception or economic wise. By definition all they’re doing is excluding people. What is the actual hope in doing this? That Xbox and PC users that are interested, that likely have already preordered, will cancel them and buy PlayStation’s? 

Any little bit helps.

Little exclusive content deals like this are more to keep people on Playstation rather than convert people, I imagine. Keeps people thinking they're being rewarded for picking the right team and builds a lot of brand loyalty. 

It makes sense for them, but even from the perspective of a Playstation owner I don't gain much from it personally and I'd rather they didn't. 

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Jango said:

But what if Xbox gets... Deadpool?

Why would they even???

I've been thinking that they might have made a deal with Xbox to get them exclusive content of their own of some kind, but I can't imagine what it could be. 

If they split up characters (Or any content) based on the different versions of the game, that just makes this game ultimately not worth a damn in my book. Spider-Man being exclusive already is shit, but doing that with even more, doesn’t exactly make the situation better just cause it’s being dispersed around the 3 versions of the game. Sectioned off content is still sectioned off, and players won’t ever be able to get the full definitive experience of the game unless they happen to have all 3 systems. Ultimately, no ones gonna be happy.