Awoo.

Square Enix/Marvel Games

AlphaRuby

Lord knows that this game is already looking meh and average enough. They really don't need to be hindering it by moneyhatting and alienating potential buyers.

At that point time will be better spent just waiting for the inevitable Super Square Enix edition that includes everything.

Bad enough that Spidey likely won't be having any story significance. 

I'm super excited to see how this Spider-man will look, they said it's gonna be mostly based on Ditko's and Romita's work, so yeah, very classic. I demand web armpits.

And I'll pretend I'm surprised that Sony struck that exclusivity deal with Square, and that it was impossible to predict that if Spider-man was ever in this game, it would be a PS exclusive, considering he's basically Sony's golden egg goose. Even if they don't outright own Spider-man, they always had that close relationship with the brand, today more than ever. They obviously paid for that deal and are expecting some profit in return, most likely PS+ subscriptions rather than console sales. This is honestly no different than having a movie you want to watch that's exclusive to Netflix and complaining cause you only want to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video...

I’m actually going to be completely honest about something, I thought this game WAS PlayStation exclusive anyway 🤣 ...so as far as I am concerned Xbox gamers should be so lucky 😜

But heck, as annoying as it is it’s no different to what happened with Starlink... Although that’s not the greatest of success stories to use as a comparison. 

I suppose at least Spidey is not mainline story content being held to an exclusive platform. Business is business for Sony I suppose, but this isn’t going to go down well with potential Xbox buyers of the game I guess.

Still, I’m looking forward to it. “Generic” as it may look (and it does to some regard I will admit) this was a damn fine Superhero game I had the pleasure of demo’ing last year. It was certainly worth the 2 hour wait in queue for the rollercoaster ride to play as the avengers. 

Hopefully they’ll be able to keep that gameplay momentum up across the whole game - especially with Ms Marvel being the main MVP for a lot of it.

46 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

I suppose at least Spidey is not mainline story content being held to an exclusive platform. Business is business for Sony I suppose, but this isn’t going to go down well with potential Xbox buyers of the game I guess.

Not to mention, for all we know, who's to say that Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics was even planning on adding Spider-man had not Sony made a deal with them and injected some money to develop it? Spider-man is a popular character for sure, but he isn't even one of the most prevalent Avengers out there. I bet a lot of heroes were considered before the web-head, but since the time was right, Sony saw the opportunity and they seized it.

Man, I saw some reactions over the internet that are just comical on how exagerated they are.

It's baffling to me that people don't understand how releasing the same game for the same price but one version has less content is a shitty practice.

Stop defending companies for being shitty to part of their consumer base just so already rich higher-ups can stuff more money in their pockets. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Not to mention, for all we know, who's to say that Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics was even planning on adding Spider-man had not Sony made a deal with them and injected some money to develop it? Spider-man is a popular character for sure, but he isn't even one of the most prevalent Avengers out there. I bet a lot of heroes were considered before the web-head, but since the time was right, Sony saw the opportunity and they seized it.

There is no way Spider-Man wasn't going to be in this game. He is in quite literally every Marvel crossover release in the last 20+ years aside from cases where rights held him back. He is Marvel's Mario. Their Mickey Mouse. Whenever you see their logo he's usually not far behind it. 

The way I see it, either Spider-Man was going to be in this game for everyone, or he was going to be exclusive. People are allowed to be upset at this move. 

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Jango said:

And I'll pretend I'm surprised that Sony struck that exclusivity deal with Square, and that it was impossible to predict that if Spider-man was ever in this game, it would be a PS exclusive, considering he's basically Sony's golden egg goose.

Oh, so this is like microtransactions in Crash Bandicoot games.

40 minutes ago, Thigolf said:

It's baffling to me that people don't understand how releasing the same game for the same price but one version has less content is a shitty practice.

Stop defending companies for being shitty to part of their consumer base just so already rich higher-ups can stuff more money in their pockets. 

Understading and expecting the situation is one thing, defending is very different. Haven't seen anyone doing this, at least not here. There's obviously Sony fanboys running around and making fun of Xbox owners out there, because internet. 

11 minutes ago, Tornado said:

Oh, like microtransactions in Crash Bandicoot games.

I'll also pretend that you've mature enough to discuss without having to bring stuff that has nothing to do with the subject at hand, just to appeal to a few ones.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

Man, I saw some reactions over the internet that are just comical on how exagerated they are.

15 minutes ago, Jango said:

Understading and expecting the situation is one thing, defending is very different.

I mean, trying to paint people having a problem with this as having "comical" and "exaggerated" reactions is pretty much what you're doing. Not too different from the Crash team Racing Nitro-Fueled white-knighting incident.

Also, as has been stated, there was never really any precedent to think that the makers of this game would've handicapped it from the get go of only having Spider-Man on one platform without their being a moneyhat of sorts. That'd be just straight up incompetent on their parts.

17 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'll also pretend that you've mature enough to discuss without having to bring stuff that has nothing to do with the subject at hand, just to appeal to a few ones.

I think it's relevant context to bring up the fact that you have a history of doing this on this forum and it's this exact attitude of yours that drives worthwhile conversations out the door.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not attempting win brownie points with other members. I'm mocking your attempt to present yourself as an expert on the game industry to dismiss people being upset and surprised about Sony money hatting features in a game that will already sell best on Sony platforms when even when you put on this pretentious attitude to talk about a series you deify you look foolish.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

I mean, trying to paint people having a problem with this as having "comical" and "exaggerated" reactions is pretty much what you're doing.

I was talking about the over the top reactions I saw from people that spent an entire year talking bad about the game, basically giving the impression that they wouldn't even buy it, but when one character gets an exclusivity deal, suddenly these people begin campaigns to boycott the game and cancel pre-orders, like lol.

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

I was talking about the over the top reactions I saw from people that spent an entire year talking bad about the game, basically giving the impression that they wouldn't even buy it, but when one character gets an exclusivity deal, suddenly these people begin campaigns to boycott the game and cancel pre-orders, like lol.

That's admittedly more a failing of the companies at large, seeing as how they tend to be so full of themselves that only way to get their attention is with boycotts and loss of sales to send a message that they'll actually listen to.

Not that such should come as a surprise with how hard-headed companies have acted.

I think Jim puts it best when he describes it. Instead of “PlayStation gets spider-man” it should be “2/3rds of the market will not be getting the definitive version of the game that includes Spider-Man, but still need to pay the baseline of $60 for the game”

It's should also be noted that people are already so annoyed by Sony doing this sort of nonsense with Spiderman that even the fight they had with Disney over Spiderman films last year was immediately blamed on Sony even though Disney was the one who started it by attempting to tear up the agreement they had with Sony. To that end, it absolutely is a surprise that Sony would do something like this again; to draw attention to the influence on the character that not too long ago people actively criticized Sony for having the ability to exert.

The Spiderman game and Spiderverse movie coming out and being well received didn't wash away the previous decade where even big entertainment sites were openly stating how much they hoped Sony would have the rights to Spiderman taken away from them by Marvel.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Probably aren't the same two groups of people. This game has a lot of negative buzz around it but it's not completely unappealing or anything like that. There's probably at least some people that were excited before but aren't anymore.

https://www.ign.com/articles/marvels-avengers-how-spider-man-became-a-playstation-exclusive-character

This close relationship, though, meant that it was an obvious decision to include the web-slinger in the PS4 and PS5 iterations of the forthcoming game. However, Amos clarified, “That is the only character that we are doing that way,” confirming that no other characters are planned to become platform exclusives.

For anyone on the fence about the game, there’s a open beta coming in a few weeks - PS4 has two (14th to 16th August), all platforms have one on August 21st to 23rd.

So the betas got a lotta server connection issues. I’d hope that would get ironed out by launch, but given the track record of these GAAS titles...eh

The PC specs are finally out: 

The minimum requirements are a bit beefier than I was hoping for. The second beta's also available for preload right now, at least on Steam.

Fuck off Marvel, Square and Sony 

Inb4 anyone says it, yes I know “it’s just marketing sense” to advertise it to draw in people, but still, fuck them

Little Jimmy had a Xbox. He went to the nearest GameStop with his dad to buy the newest "Avengers" game. Upon arriving there, little Jimmy immediately noticed something peculiar while looking at the games' boxes side by side. The PlayStation one had a biiiiig label that said "Spider-man" was only available on this version. His father then explained that he couldn't afford another videogame console and little Jimmy had to settle with the Xbox one. Understandably disappointed, however, little Jimmy learned a valuable lesson about capitalism on that day. He would years later write a very bold comment about that event on his Twitter page, only to learn that nothing really changed since then, no matter how much he, or any other Jimmies around the whooooole world, complained or gotten pissed at these big big companies, because in the end: they will aaaaaalways have more money than you. Fin.

It's not really so much marketing sense as it is literally every time Sony has exclusive content for a game. Nearly every time Sony has some form of exclusive content in a game, they have a small symbol on the front cover about it. Assassin's Creed, CTR Nitro Fuelled, Modern Warfare, Monster Hunter World, just to name a few.

Spider-Man being exclusive to PS4 is still complete garbage, and deserves all the backlash it's receiving but complaining that Square updated the box-art accordingly, which is what usually happens every time a PS4 game has exclusive content is a bit silly IMO.

As to why it's there for all games in the first place, I mean that obviously kind of is marketing sense. Why would you go through the expenses of getting exclusive content, and then not advertise it front and centre? 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Jango said:

Little Jimmy had a Xbox. He went to the nearest GameStop with his dad to buy the newest "Avengers" game. Upon arriving there, little Jimmy immediately noticed something peculiar while looking at the games' boxes side by side. The PlayStation one had a biiiiig label that said "Spider-man" was only available on this version. His father then explained that he couldn't afford another videogame console and little Jimmy had to settle with the Xbox one. Understandably disappointed, however, little Jimmy learned a valuable lesson about capitalism on that day. He would years later write a very bold comment about that event on his Twitter page, only to learn that nothing really changed since then, no matter how much he, or any other Jimmies around the whooooole world, complained or gotten pissed at these big big companies, because in the end: they will aaaaaalways have more money than you. Fin.

This pretentious little pro-corporate apologetic story of yours really does sum up how you discuss shit on here most of the time 

@Ryannumber1gamer It pretty much right there makes it blatant by having that tag that if you buy any other version, you’re spending the same amount of money for a version with less content. That’s why it annoys me 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

@Ryannumber1gamer It pretty much right there makes it blatant by having that tag that if you buy any other version, you’re spending the same amount of money for a version with less content. That’s why it annoys me 

But, that's good... Sony buying exclusivity for Spider-Man sucks, but, they should make it clear that you're missing out on content if you're getting other versions.