Awoo.

Square Enix/Marvel Games

AlphaRuby

Excuse me, what

After what happened to Ryan, I thought the game had actually crashed or that it was a loading bug or something. Not that the game literally stops occurring until you press the correct button prompt. It's like those 90s Myst ripoffs that do a 30 second animation to move you throughout the level after you push a button.

• Absolutely 1

Major oof. Beta or not, this game is coming out in 2 weeks.

If they're more problems like that, then we're in for far more trouble than expected. And that's saying something given the problem ms that have already arisen.

3 hours ago, Tornado said:
After what happened to Ryan, I thought the game had actually crashed or that it was a loading bug or something. 

I should probably also give an update about that. After some more testing of it today (I placed the game on an external hard drive this time to ensure that if worst came to worst, it couldn't literally destroy the console HDD again), it seems to work correctly again.

At this point, I can't determine if Avengers had an effect on my HDD, or if my HDD was literally just ready to caving in. The new info I've gathered from my tests today gave me more info. Before my HDD broke, Avengers had numerous loading problems. It would freeze randomly in online games, take five minutes to load, and even have stuttering problems loading the hero cutscenes during load screens. 

However, today, everything worked perfectly. Loading was done in about 30 seconds, load screens had no stutters, no freezes from what I noticed, etc. 

So again, it's possible that the HDD was failing already, and Avengers just kicked it over the edge. I'm still not sure because while Avengers was having loading issues, the UI and the other major amounts of slowdown didn't occur until after Avengers began glitching out severely, so it's hard to say either way.

And people wonder why most folk still prefer for the choice of physical media to be a thing.

7 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

And people wonder why most folk still prefer for the choice of physical media to be a thing.

Not much of a choice when the physical edition of a game ends up taking up about as much as the digital version.

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

the physical edition of a game ends up taking up about as much as the digital version.

That's just it. A physical version still takes a total amount of downloading space than the entirety of a full digital download.

1 minute ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

That's just it. A physical version still takes a total lestamount of downloading space than the entirety of a full digital download.

The image I posted above was the physical version. It requires 90GB for the initial install, plus whatever patches there is going to be too.

16 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The image I posted above was the physical version. It requires 90GB for the initial install, plus whatever patches there is going to be too.

Yes, and my point is that the digital  version would require even more space to download. 

22 hours ago, Tornado said:

Excuse me, what

After what happened to Ryan, I thought the game had actually crashed or that it was a loading bug or something. Not that the game literally stops occurring until you press the correct button prompt. It's like those 90s Myst ripoffs that do a 30 second animation to move you throughout the level after you push a button.

I feel like it's a bit harsh to judge the game for that. It's the start of the game, after all. It's supposed to get you into the action in a flashy way and makes you feel satisfied with what plays out afterwards.

I also wanna bring up something I discovered on twitter:

So, yeah. The same thing happened in Spider-man ps4, yet no one gave a damn about it when it came out, but with avengers, people seem to be looking for anything to complain about because it's trendy.

I wouldn't say it's fair to judge the game for that since no one would fail at it anyway. It's literally the first gameplay action and it's not that quick to get to the freezing point, but those are just my thoughts. It's such a minor nitpick that we could just ignore it, really.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Well I played a bit of the PC demo (I'm not calling this a beta when we're this close to launch) this weekend.

First impressions, it crashed on me on the start up screen... not a great sign. After some troubleshooting and tracking down a Square account I didn't even know I had... eh, it's alright.

The game certainly has some sever performance issues but once I got in there... idk, was expecting a lot worse given the current discussion surrounding it. Now for the rig I have, I'm probably leaning on the more lax side here as, realistically, the game should be smooth like silk at the settings I had it on. It certainly wasn't there, but again, it was smooth for the most part which was something I was hesitant on even seeing based on my initial experience lol.

As for the game itself... eh, that's also a bit of a mixed bag for me currently. I loved the opening mission and enjoyed the two more story based missions given afterwards. I'm intrigued on where they could take this in that aspect. On top of that, I did find myself enjoying the combat in these sections with most of the characters. It was just some good beat-em-up fun imo.

Though with that said... dear lord am I not a fan of this Destiny, rpg mechanic at every turn, live service approach they've taken with the game as a whole. I say that the beat-em-up gameplay is pretty fun but all of that momentum is killed when I constantly have to go into menus just to level up a character (and that's not even going into how I was running into damage sponge enemies this early in). Even back when I was hyped for this game, I was weary about these aspects of it. Those worries are still clearly relevant for me even now.

The nail was really driven in when I realized how much better the story missions ended up being for me vs the more online driven ones. Tight, compact, cinematic action with interesting story and character dialog/ cutscenes mixed in. That was the formula that worked for me here and is the one that I wish they had stuck to for the rest of the game. I don't know what the ratio for these sort of missions vs the more online driven ones will be in the end but I won't lie, if favor isn't given to the former then this game probably won't end up grabbing me at all.

Combine this with the Spider-Man situation and overall... eh, I think I'll be waiting for a price drop on this one. I mean, unless reviews come in like "holy shit, there's so much singleplayer/ story content in this" or something crazy like that, I just have other games I'd rather be playing over some Destiny wannabe. They have a good base here... I just fear that they've largely wasted it.

4 hours ago, GrammyGram said:

So, yeah. The same thing happened in Spider-man ps4, yet no one gave a damn about it when it came out, but with avengers, people seem to be looking for anything to complain about because it's trendy.

I wouldn't say it's fair to judge the game for that since no one would fail at it anyway. It's literally the first gameplay action and it's not that quick to get to the freezing point, but those are just my thoughts. It's such a minor nitpick that we could just ignore it, really.

Considering the fact that everytime we give companies an inch, they take a mile, the take away should be that both situations are bad to have regardless and that companies shouldn't be that lazy at all.

The main reason Avengers gets called out for it more is because it's shaping to be a mediocre-at-best game, though that doesn't excuse the Spider-Man game either,

1 minute ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Considering the fact that everytime we give companies an inch, they take a mile, the take away should be that both situations are bad to have regardless and that companies shouldn't be that lazy at all.

The main reason Avengers gets called out for it more is because it's shaping to be a mediocre-at-best game, though that doesn't excuse the Spider-Man game either,

That makes sense, but in my opinion it is still a minor nitpick for both games. My point was just to say that people actively look for things in avengers to deliberately complain to extreme measures.

Besides, later -- in both games, save for the first hulk "QTE" -- when you fail, you do get a failed cutscene, so it's not like they completely forgot about them, it's just they're not meant to be failed so you can feel cool about it when you do them.

Microtransactions, Battle Passes (With level skips you can buy), console exclusive content, company brand exclusive content, and a TIMED ROTATION FORTNITE RIP OFF SHOP, oh joy. I cannot believe this game is exactly what I was under the impression it would be ever since it was revealed to be a live service. This game is a pathetic joke of a “AAA” experience 

34 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Microtransactions, Battle Passes (With level skips you can buy), console exclusive content, company brand exclusive content, and a TIMED ROTATION FORTNITE RIP OFF SHOP

fortnite? FORTNITE? FORTNITE?!??!

this was a joke, I don't really love some Fortnite.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:03 PM, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Yes, and my point is that the digital  version would require even more space to download. 

Pre load info came out today, it's only 46GB for digital. 

Should be the same on physical, PS4 usually requires double the actual file space, but only actually takes up the required amount.

2 hours ago, SonicWind said:

Expect another hero reveal out of this one.

I've had the game for a few hours now (digital versions get access three days earlier), aaaand...

Spoiler

It's 99% Captain Marvel who's a hidden character. She's the only other character out of the main five/six Avengers with merchandise, comics and games during A-Day, and Kamala has a poster in her room of Captain Marvel's in-game model, complete with a legendary costume of her older Ms. Marvel design.

Spoiler

wq60kf8ufck51.jpg

46 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I've had the game for a few hours now (digital versions get access three days earlier), aaaand...

Hide contents

It's 99% Captain Marvel who's a hidden character. She's the only other character out of the main five/six Avengers with merchandise, comics and games during A-Day, and Kamala has a poster in her room of Captain Marvel's in-game model, complete with a legendary costume of her older Ms. Marvel design.

Ah yes, All fresh and ripe for the microtransactions train and whatnot.

The first post launch character is confirmed - Kate Bishop. Her storyline will tie into Hawkeye's disappearance.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, Strickerx5 said:

The nail was really driven in when I realized how much better the story missions ended up being for me vs the more online driven ones. Tight, compact, cinematic action with interesting story and character dialog/ cutscenes mixed in. That was the formula that worked for me here and is the one that I wish they had stuck to for the rest of the game. I don't know what the ratio for these sort of missions vs the more online driven ones will be in the end but I won't lie, if favor isn't given to the former then this game probably won't end up grabbing me at all.

Thought I'd throw in a word about this. The campaign and multiplayer modes are separate (labelled as Reassemble, and Avengers Initiative, retrospectively). There are a few of the multiplayer missions sprinkled in the campaign, where you can either do it with AI, or matchmake with other players (it's locked to the characters unlocked in the story at that point, so for example - one of the missions - Gamma Green - only allows Hulk and Kamala as playable options).

However, beyond those few random missions, the majority of the campaign is like the A-Day Bridge sequence, and the Hulk/Kamala infiltration of the HIVE Archive, all areas specifically built for single player, and taking advantage of that.

The beta also IMO didn't give the best share of missions. There's a fair share of stealth, parkour, and platforming missions in the campaign as well, specifically a level where Kamala is hunted down, which bridges the gap between the A-Day mission, and Kamala meeting Bruce and breaking into the Archive to find Tony. 

I haven't finished it myself, but the campaign apparently takes around ten to fifteen hours to complete, and as for me personally, I'm nearing around ten hours, and still feel like I've got a fair bit to go with the campaign. 

I will say this much, the single player stuff is absolutely great IMO. The beat 'em combat is super fun, especially since you can unlock far more skill trees for every kind of attack (ultimates, heroic, passives, etc), different moves altogether (Tony has missiles, lasers, and pulse beams), and so on. The platforming is pretty fun, and there's some really tense setpieces and sequences.

The performance in general is way better than the beta, and makes me wonder if Square pushed out a much earlier build for the beta. Apart from the starting sequence of the game, where there's ridiculous amounts of unique NPCs rendered at the same time, as well as when things get really busy in Multiplayer, the performance has been consistently above 30 for me on PS4 Pro in Performance Mode, so it seems the game has been generally fine-tuned since the beta.

Still, the multiplayer stuff - I can't comment on because I only played a few missions required for campaign, and on top of that, there was a fair share of annoyances (For example - I found a SHIELD Vault, only to immediately get forced out of it because one of my teammates progressed the mission into a cutscene, forcing me to leave them to backtrack back to the vault, grab the stuff, run back and revive them, because my online teammates went down in the time it took me for the trip).

But if you enjoyed the single player stuff the beta had, I think you'll enjoy the single player mode in this. It's pretty lengthy, all things considered, although if you definitely don't want to touch the multiplayer, it might be a good idea to wait for a price drop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Well that's good to hear. Around the 12 or so hour mark sounds great to me. I'm still probably going to wait for a price drop/ sale (as it's basically a 50/50 chance of it getting one through the Steam winter sale or something) but this news does peak my curiosity for the game again. Though, it's just that between both the Spidey situation still being a real sore spot for me and already having a number of games lined up on my ssd atm, I'm good with waiting a bit.

I've heard from people who started it today that the campaign is actually a solid 12 hour experience  and it's mostly the mulitplayer that has issues. I'm more willing to get it this year now.

I also just...really like Kate Bishop. I didn't think she'd be coming this early. 😔

6 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I've heard from people who started it today that the campaign is actually a solid 12 hour experience  and it's mostly the mulitplayer that has issues. I'm more willing to get it this year now.

This is pretty much where I am. I wasn't expecting the single player campaign to be this long, nor this detailed (with a solid gameplay loop of combat, exploration, and platforming). All of the characters feel fairly unique and fun to play with, in general. If the general plot of the game has interested you from the beginning (I.E - the A-Day disaster, Cap's death, and the Avengers being disassembled for five years, in which time AIM has taken control, and superheroics is practically outlawed), then I think you'll really enjoy this.