Awoo.

Square Enix/Marvel Games

AlphaRuby

If I ever pick this up, it’ll definitely be on a mega discount. I’m still just so offput by literally everything outside the base story stuff, and even that isn’t really grabbing me a whole lot. It’s a game I feel will get very repetitive feeling with its gameplay loop once you exit the story. At its core, it’s still very obvious it’s aping off Destiny and Anthem. As it is, it’s definitely not seeming to be worth the full $60 asking price to me. I’m good with Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 for now. 

Yeah as expected, Jim don’t like it 

(But likes Camala and some of the story centric missions)

It takes until near the very end of the game to unlock all of the Avengers, and all of them are pretty evenly paced throughout the story, I have no idea what Jim’s talking about when he claims you get them all quickly lol.

Hell, the final two aren’t unlocked til quite literally the penultimate campaign mission.

I don’t know, I tend to agree with Jim on a lot of his reviews, but this one, ehhh, nah. Could get behind him with the multiplayer stuff, but couldn’t disagree more with his critique of single player.

The story isn’t that long. So getting all the main avengers isn’t too difficult.

most of his criticisms are pretty valid. Games generic and trend chasing even in many of its single player missions, and has literally no identity outside its brand name. Mechanically it’s repetitive with its missions and gameplay loop, and overly flashy and messy with its combat.  Story really isn’t anything to write home about from what I’ve seen, and yeah, the off brand, but trying to be MCU esque feel of the game can be distracting.

you could literally take the Marvel shit out and replace it, and this game would more or less feel the same tbh. That’s kinda what happens when you follow a formula like GaaS. It’s clear where a lot of shit was prioritized with this product m, and it wasn’t on making a satisfying depthy game. If it was, it would be the next Spider-Man PS4. But as it is, it’s just wannabe Anthem/Destiny but with ugly depictions of Marvel characters (outside Camela.) The game certainly didn’t live up to the expectations built from its years of development (running trend with Square Enix games it seems)

2 minutes ago, KHCast said:

The story isn’t that long. So getting all the main avengers isn’t too difficult.

The story is ten to twelve hours on average, if not more depending on how many side quests you do. Complaining that by the end of the story, you unlocked all of the characters is a pretty dumb criticism in of itself. Obviously for the story’s narrative to wrap up, the Avengers will be reassembled, and they’ll go for one last big fight, that’s common sense.

I don’t know what I can tell you, tons of other outlets have been discussing the story length and how surprisingly long it was, and I thought the story missions in of themselves was a blast, even discounting the random multiplayer mission in there. I was engaged with the story the whole way through, so I frankly can’t disagree with Jim more. I understand some of his criticisms, and they’re fair (multiplayer, bugs, the effects overload), but others are frankly downright silly to me, especially the complaint about unlocking the heroes. 

10 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Obviously for the story’s narrative to wrap up, the Avengers will be reassembled, and they’ll go for one last big fight, that’s common sense.

I think the point is, there really wasn’t any narrative buildup or hype since, by the nature of this game, we all knew all the characters would survive. There weren’t really any stakes that felt raised to him. The game doesn’t do anything unique or creative with this iteration of the marvel characters, and honestly, from what I’m seeing online, yeah, it’s on the predictable and bland side imo. I‘m finding Ultimate Alliance 3’s story more compelling than this honestly.

Also he literally says he enjoys quite a few of the single player missions, as they’re more developed and fleshed out, and uses them in his argument that at its core the game had potential as a linear narratively driven avengers game. So not sure why you’re trying to paint him as being unreasonably harsh to the games single player. 

• 9 months later...

A single player Guardians game is coming from Square! With a release date slated for October 26th 2021!

This is what I expected when the Avengers game was announced /smh Looks funny. It's confirmed if we can play as the other guardians or just Quill? Also, awesome use of licensed music. James Gun set a good standard.

1 minute ago, Jango said:

This is what I expected when the Avengers game was announced /smh Looks funny. It's confirmed if we can play as the other guardians or just Quill? Also, awesome use of licensed music. James Gun set a good standard.

From what I've heard, you can only play as Star-Lord. But I'll still keep my eye on this one.

So looking online...People were hyping Avengers and being optimistic as fuck for it despite it being a confirmed live service years in advance, but a single player guardians game that seems to be avoiding that shit is what has people pessimistic? Like yeah I’m not automatically thinking it’ll be good or anything, but like...already it has more promise in my eyes than Avengers if they keep true to their word on that. Least the game then won’t be compromised and have to be readjusted to accommodate for some shitty monetization ecosystem 

I'm getting low budget Ratchet and Clank vibes from that trailer. Semi-interested, but I honestly don't expect much. One plus is they don't seem to be aping the MCU when it comes to character design.

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

but a single player guardians game that seems to be avoiding that shit is what has people pessimistic?

I think it's more so a case of people being far more cautious after the colossal hype train crash of Project Avengers. 

Components like apparently getting to play as Quill haven't helped matters either. 

Whatever Marvel Games decides to do next they need to seriously reconsider this whole "uncanny version of the movie cast" thing. Directly comparing yourselves to some of the most iconic performances of an entire generation is always going to make you look bad. The guardians have had varied rosters in the comics, so they should have considered just shaking it up for the sake of it since it's a new universe. As it stands now it kind of just looks like a blander version of the films, and I'm not crazy about that. I'm not sure if it's the script or the delivery but the constant chatter is...kinda grating? I guess it wouldn't be a guardians game without that though.

The gameplay presentation made it look a little better. I was let down that I wouldn't be able to play as Gamora and Rocket but if the trade off is an actually functioning game I'll take it. It...mostly just looks kind of like a bland Mass Effect right now. Framerate looked kinda gross too for something that's coming out in a couple months.

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Whatever Marvel Games decides to do next they need to seriously reconsider this whole "uncanny version of the movie cast" thing.

MCU wanking has been a problem across so many divisions, across so many different platforms of media, even the comics themselves, to the point where it's beyond silly.

I was interested in the Black Panther content so much...until I saw it was just part of the Avengers game. Like had that shit been a stand-alone title, I’d have been hyped as fuck cause that shit was energetic and exactly how I expected a BP game would look. Ah well...

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

I was interested in the Black Panther content so much...until I saw it was just part of the Avengers game.

We knew that was going to be the case from the get-go. And yes, it is a major drag.

2 hours ago, KHCast said:

Like had that shit been a stand-alone title, I’d have been hyped as fuck cause that shit was energetic and exactly how I expected a BP game would look. Ah well...

It's frustrating that the potential for a BP game is currently being wasted on trying Shovel out of the sinking ship that is Project: Avengers.

• 3 months later...

So turns out, the Spider-Man PlayStation exclusive shit for Marvels Avengers isn’t just the character, but actual story stuff too. So the whole “argument” about how it’s just a ignorable extra character kinda got thrown out the window. Charming

https://www.thegamer.com/spider-man-avengers-story-cutscenes/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

That’s sucks, although NGL, I thought that was always assumed to be case anyway (that Spidey would come with Story/Campaign content). 

As far as I know they haven’t dumped in extra Marvel characters superficially yet have they?

14 minutes ago, Wraith said:

this game sucks anyway

Also this. Really tried my best to like this game (even the single player campaign which I heard good things about). But nope. 

It’s thanks to Avengers that I’m now cautious about Guardians. I know it’s from a different dev team within Square’s bracket of studios, and is single player exclusive… buuuuut….