Awoo.

Favorite Sonic era

shadowfan94

24 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You're arguing 'Sonic 'running' in the game is boring, I want more characters with other gameplay styles, because based on your comments so far, you have to mix it up and give variety otherwise the game becomes dull and boring.

Yet you've completely ignored and factored out of this simplification the notion of game and level design which aid in the creation of interesting gameplay, it does not matter how many characters you have provided you build the support for the gameplay of one character and maintain that interest for the entire experience you wish to give.

Here's a very recent example. 

The_Last_Guardian_cover_art.jpg

In this game, you are pretty much taught every single aspect of the game in the first 10min with the exception of one core aspect which comes at the end of the first hour. 

Within the first 10 min, you are taught how to feel the creature, how to run, jump, push, pull, activate switches, climb and call the creature. 

Within the first 10 min, you do some of the most common actions in the game, climb, use the creature to climb, navigate the environment and even use a special attack ability.

So why is it then, this game can last for around 10-15 hours and still maintain interest if the actions are so basic and are all taught and mastered in the first 10min? When all I'm doing is running around pulling switches and climbing things? 

Because the way the game is designed means you are never caught or trapped doing the same tricks or moves or problem solving techniques over and over. The level design is so good that the basic gameplay mechanics have absolutely tons of possibilities and the developers are clever enough to use that instead of what a bad developer would do and simply force the player to do the same moves or problem solving tactics in newly decorated areas.

Sonic is a platform game, the level design is the primary factor to support the gameplay, not diversifying gameplay mechanics as you are proposing, if this were a beat em up, then yeah, but it's not, it's a platform game. 

And you can look at any platform game, Mario, Crash, Spyro, Ty any platform game, good or bad which has a small or one character, provided that the game isn't a complete technical mess like Bubsy 3D, the key thing to their success or failure is pretty much down to the level design. Granted the gameplay mechanics or abilities of the playable character should be nailed down and make sense both contextually and within the technical world created. 

Essentially all what platform games are is an object which can do *insert said abilities* which are just programmable applications within the environment you have created, you have to create an interesting environment for that object to interact with, 

Otherwise you just have a character which just can do X, Y and Z. But who cares if the character can do that unless you provide a full world for it to do it in.

So why therefore is one character who according to you, just apparently "running for 12 hours", who, no longer jumps, curls into a ball and increases speed on a downhill gradient, attacks enemies, is weak to certain enemies and objects depending on the state the object is in and everything else you have casually chosen to ignore... now boring?

Hmmm... what if we created an interesting environment for the player to navigate using those skills... and then what if we made a second environment, we could call it level 2, but instead of doing what we did in the second level, we change things just a little so it's not the same level in a new setting?

That sounds like a fun game. But this is Sonic. If your game gets 50 sequels, and keeps the same mechanics, we'll see how long they stay interesting.

You can talk down to me as many times as you want, that doesn't prove any points or bother me, I just keep wonder why you're doing it, although I'm starting to understand.

I talked about how Sonic does nothing but run as a figure of speech. That is what Sonic as a character is known for, being fast. I am well aware of the fact that he bounces, hurts enemies, goes through different environments, and has different strengths and weaknesses. 

So, basically, your point is; Sonic does more than run. Ok, cool. Maybe I should have detailed the fact that Sonic does indeed do more than run. I figured that went without saying, but since you wrote a huge reply attacking the fact that I focused on the main part of these games you think you want, I should have said that he does more than run.

So, here's a list of all the things you and the rest of the angry Sonic fans want in every Sonic game from now until the the end; you want - Sonic running, Sonic bouncing, different enemies, different environments, Sonic rolling into a ball and running, a few new challenges in features every new game(that's what COD does, basically make the same game but with a few new features)

I'm still not sure how that list of things are enough to keep Sonic games going for a long time. Those aspects would be a lot better if they weren't the only part of the games. That's why I think games should have other playable characters and like Tails, Amy, etc. To add more variety. If they made a game where Tails had really awesome mechanics and Knuckles had really awesome mechanics, people like you would still bitch because it's not what you want. You and other so called fans.

Some games can have the same basic mechanics better than others. I feel that Halo and COD are getting stale for just repeating themselves each game. GTA games are better even though they have the same basic mechanics- play as a person, complete missions, drive cars, steal cars, kill people, but they're always doing a lot of new things each game. GTA4 added a shitload of aspects that GTA3 did, like all the places you could go to, having a main character with a deep story, featuring this deep, detailed city you could explore. GTA 5 took that and added a lot mixed things up a bit- having the heists, and you can actually play as 3 main characters. No one complained about that, because it was DONE WELL.

I don't see Sonic having that kind of potential if the games just stick with the same group of mechanics. You can have him fight as many different enemies as you want, or change the environments as much as you want, or the challenges. It wouldn't stay fresh. It might work now, but probably not for the next 20-50 games.

You say that the level design is a big part of what makes a game good. I agree. But how many huge levels can game developers make for 10 minute levels each in multiple games? The Legend of Zelda has works even though most of them focus on Link having a mission and exploring and using the same mechanics through levels. But you actually have Link do things in one environment for more than an hour, or in games like Windwaker, he travels on the dragon boat thing and goes back and forth to the same areas in order to accomplish new tasks. Aspects like that are how those games continue to work. If Sonic just runs, bounces and fights enemies, it will take more than level design to keep the series fresh.

25 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

With all due respect sir, I have answered your points and I've not insulted you, I've pointed out that I don't find your argument a good one and provided more than reasonable reasons as to why, not once have I insulted your character, however I do find these two posts or yours very ironic since you've ignored both my own argument, specifically the points I made regarding why game design and level design is more important than just putting more diverse characters and their accompanying gameplay styles in a game to make for compelling entertainment, as well as pppp who posted a similar response which you've ignored on every occasion so far and instead focused on minor things which are not part of the main issue here.

Whoa, whoa, easy there, calm down. I was getting to the rest of your points. I just responded to that part of your quote first. I'm still relatively new to the forum, and haven't figured out how to use multiple quotes in one post, other than them getting merged automatically.

Make sense?

14 minutes ago, shadowfan94 said:

Whoa, whoa, easy there, calm down. I was getting to the rest of your points. I just responded to that part of your quote first. I'm still relatively new to the forum, and haven't figured out how to use multiple quotes in one post, other than them getting merged automatically.

Make sense?

Off-topic, but you can quote multiple posts with the + icon next the Quote button, and quote specific excerpts by highlighting the section and wiating for the "Quote This" dialogue to appear. (Else, you can use the more extrenuous method of quoting the same post multiple times and omitting irrelevan parts)

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, shadowfan94 said:

So, basically, your point is; Sonic does more than run.

That's not my point at all, my point was that in every platform game you essentially play as an object who you manipulate in an environment and the enjoyment the player gets comes from the challenges and the manipulation of that object within the environment. 

A player becomes bored if you simply repeat the same challenges over and over even if you change the decoration of that environment. 

However, if you are able to manipulate the environment to create new problems for the player to solve with the skills and tools you've given them, you do not need to keep adding different characters into the game since you'll have a strong enough game without having to try and design for multiple gameplay types.

you want - Sonic running, Sonic bouncing, different enemies, different environments, Sonic rolling into a ball and running, a few new challenges in features every new game(that's what COD does, basically make the same game but with a few new features)

That's not what I said at all.

COD's main problem is that a lot of their titles actually have a decent single player campaign, specifically MW2 and MW3, the issue is that they adopt a paint by numbers approach in every level so you can predict what's coming up and how to approach this. MW3 is great example, you can tell as you progress further into that game where the ambush is going to be, when you need to switch to that secondary weapon you got given at the start, when the next 'epic scripted moment' will come.

This is further compounded by the fact they tend to recycle this approach for most of their single player campaigns, if you're familiar with it you can predict what's coming, and that's not fun.

Whereas a FPS like TitanFall 2 or Wolfenstein the New Order is rarely repeating the previous levels tricks or tropes, or it puts a twist to them to keep the player entertained.

If Sonic just runs, bounces and fights enemies, it will take more than level design to keep the series fresh.

Why?

you and the rest of the angry Sonic fans [...]

people like you would still bitch [...]

You and other so called fans.

Charming.

• Thumbs Up 3

57 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

To be fair though, your point still pretty much stands since the boost technically debuted in Sonic Dash and everybody raved and loved it, then it came to the 3D games and stuck around ever since. 

Can't just leave this lying there, Rush was in 2005 and boosting appeared there:mellow:

But on topic... I actually like the adventure 1/2 era the most. I feel like 1 had all the variety they could think of into one giant hit or miss and it generally hit (big and gamma were a miss). The reason why I add 2 in there is because instead of having all those characters playable again, they brought the main 3 back and added Dark McChaosControl. Also spammable spindash 

2 minutes ago, Zoroark & Flare said:

Can't just leave this lying there, Rush was in 2005 and boosting appeared there:mellow:

DOH! Yeah, that's the game!

... ...I have a time machine and a Death Egg so I get confused. 

• Thumbs Up 2

28 minutes ago, Mightyray said:

Can you please not use the word retard to describe someone being a goofball please. It's a highly degrading word for people who deal with mental illness, have behavioural or intellectual disabilities and is just a plain old tacky word.  

Knuckles maybe a goof or a times doesn't think things through or in Boom's case can be very oblivious but I wouldn't use that word at all to describe him.

So please be a bit more considerate in your word choices please.

This is a PSA from the Aussie person with Aspergers and Anxiety. Thank you. 

I will respond to this as tastefully and respectfully as I can. If you don't agree with me, hopefully you will at least keep this in mind.

You can't stop people from using that word, so I wouldn't bother trying to. Millions and millions of people use that word when they talk, ESPECIALLY the internet. South Park uses it as slang. If you're familiar with game grumps, JonTron said "retard" on his twitter, and someone told him not to, and he said "sorry retard", lol. That's just how it is. I sympathize with people that have disabilites as much as the next guy, but you really can't expect the entire world to stop using it as slang. You can maybe ask them not to use it, but I personally wouldn't expect that request to be successful with many. Who knows, that's just me.

Is it a great word? No, but we don't live in a perfect world, and if using the word "retard" as slang is the worst thing I do, I'll probably always sleep at night.

Also, if someone on here just kept writing "retard-retard-retard" all the time, that might be different but I think I had reasonable grounds for using it for what I was talking about. Saying that it's a plain old tacky word is like saying the same thing about the word "gay". Retard is an actual word, and on google it says it's a noun meaning "a mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse)". As said before, Knuckles in Sonic Boom kind of acts like Patrick Star.

With all that said, I respectfully refuse. I hope you're not too mad at me, and if so, we could agree to disagree and avoid each other's posts. However, I do hope that you don't attack me every time I post the word on here, as then I will talk to a mod and find out whether it's a rule to not use it. And if there's rules against saying retard on here, I think that's ridiculous and will disable my account.

• Thumbs Up 1

If we want to get real technical about the Boost, Heroes' Special Stages was the first appearance of that gameplay style.

11 minutes ago, shadowfan94 said:

long defense of a slur against the mentally handicapped

This is your publicly-provided SSMB PSA on Proper Online and Social Etiquette.

~*~

You're probably wondering to yourself: "How do I tell if a word that crassly refers to a maligned social group of people is appropriate to use in any given context?" Good question. It's very simple. Just ask yourself, "Would I feel terrible or get immediately ostracized if the word I want to use was replaced by "nigger?""

If the answer is yes, don't use the word.

See? Now that wasn't so hard! Now you can go out into the world more confident that you're not going to throw any unsuspecting minority groups under the bus. And everyone is happier.

~*~

This was your publicly-provided SSMB PSA on Proper Online and Social Etiquette, which is currently brought to you by SSMB Administration™. "SSMB Administration: Where Rulings Are Final."

Spoiler

Yeah, we don't use slurs around here, of which retard is included. Don't do this again. Don't even remark about this again. Let's just pretend this didn't happen and move on with our lives.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, Tara said:

Off-topic, but you can quote multiple posts with the + icon next the Quote button, and quote specific excerpts by highlighting the section and wiating for the "Quote This" dialogue to appear. (Else, you can use the more extrenuous method of quoting the same post multiple times and omitting irrelevan parts)

Thanks, that helps a lot!

3 hours ago, shadowfan94 said:

I will respond to this as tastefully and respectfully as I can. If you don't agree with me, hopefully you will at least keep this in mind.

You can't stop people from using that word, so I wouldn't bother trying to. Millions and millions of people use that word when they talk, ESPECIALLY the internet. South Park uses it as slang. If you're familiar with game grumps, JonTron said "retard" on his twitter, and someone told him not to, and he said "sorry retard", lol. That's just how it is. I sympathize with people that have disabilites as much as the next guy, but you really can't expect the entire world to stop using it as slang. You can maybe ask them not to use it, but I personally wouldn't expect that request to be successful with many. Who knows, that's just me.

Is it a great word? No, but we don't live in a perfect world, and if using the word "retard" as slang is the worst thing I do, I'll probably always sleep at night.

Also, if someone on here just kept writing "retard-retard-retard" all the time, that might be different but I think I had reasonable grounds for using it for what I was talking about. Saying that it's a plain old tacky word is like saying the same thing about the word "gay". Retard is an actual word, and on google it says it's a noun meaning "a mentally handicapped person (often used as a general term of abuse)". As said before, Knuckles in Sonic Boom kind of acts like Patrick Star.

With all that said, I respectfully refuse. I hope you're not too mad at me, and if so, we could agree to disagree and avoid each other's posts. However, I do hope that you don't attack me every time I post the word on here, as then I will talk to a mod and find out whether it's a rule to not use it. And if there's rules against saying retard on here, I think that's ridiculous and will disable my account.

Forgive me mods for going off topic. 

Holy noodles. What a load a fish sauce. One, that word you've used is up there with the N word and the C word in terms of nasty words to describe someone. I wouldn't have politely asked you not to use that word to describe Knuckles if it didn't have the horrible connotations it does today. I rarely if ever do those sorts of posts because people here don't throw that word around at all because they have to common decency not to and that one time I did tell someone not to use it they quickly understood the ramifications and I have not seen them use that word since.

Two there are much better descriptions to use on Knuckles than that word. Silly, daft, foolish, goofy, stupid, childish etc. Or hell you could have used the Patrick Star anthology right from the word go. You still would have gotten you point across and not looked like an out of touch edgelord doing so. And I find it even more sad of you to say that you would rather disable your account because you got upset at someone politely asking you not to use that word because they find it highly insulting and degrading or finding out you can't throw around slurs wilily nilly due to not bothering to check the rules rather than say "Whoops my bad I'll pick something better. Got any suggestions?".

It's not a slang term, it's a slur people including yourself used to treat mentally ill/behavioural and intellectually disabled people like garbage. That word is not like gay where it has numerous meanings and has been thoroughly changed over time.

So, yeah, you've basically showed me that you don't really sympathise with people with disabilities that much since you really wanna use that word a heck of a lot more than actually listen to a person who is trying to tell you politely that word is a garbage word to use and there are better words to use.

Anyway that is the last I'll say on the matter.

Back on topic: I tend to love both Classic and Modern Sonic in different ways. Classic for the cool colours, level design and that sweet music and modern for the sleek designs the interesting stories and the adorable Cream the Rabbit. 

Also thanks so much for having my back again @Nepenthe you're a badass mod! Peace!

8 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

This is your publicly-provided SSMB PSA on Proper Online and Social Etiquette.

~*~

You're probably wondering to yourself: "How do I tell if a word that crassly refers to a maligned social group of people is appropriate to use in any given context?" Good question. It's very simple. Just ask yourself, "Would I feel terrible or get immediately ostracized if the word I want to use was replaced by "waffles?""

If the answer is yes, don't use the word.

See? Now that wasn't so hard! Now you can go out into the world more confident that you're not going to throw any unsuspecting minority groups under the bus. And everyone is happier.

~*~

This was your publicly-provided SSMB PSA on Proper Online and Social Etiquette, which is currently brought to you by SSMB Administration™. "SSMB Administration: Where Rulings Are Final."

Reveal hidden contents

Yeah, we don't use slurs around here, of which retard is included. Don't do this again. Don't even remark about this again. Let's just pretend this didn't happen and move on with our lives.

Wow, thanks. I needed this life lesson from some random guy on a forum. I sincerely hope that you don't act like this in real life, telling other people how to talk and what words to use. Because if you're as annoying as you're acting on here, I pity you. Don't tell me how to talk. If it's against the rules, then get me banned. You ever heard of the internet? You ever heard of sensitive people? Well, let me explain something to YOU that you're OBVIOUSLY too brainless to comprehend. 1. This is the internet. You're on it. Better get used to it. And 2. You're being way too over-sensitive if that simple word makes you that butthurt.

Retard.

(let the fireworks commence)

And I will be banned in 3......2.......

:P

6 minutes ago, Mightyray said:

Forgive me mods for going off topic. 

Holy noodles. What a load a fish sauce. That word you've used is up there with the N word and the C word in terms of nasty words to describe someone. I wouldn't have politely asked you not to use that word to describe Knuckles if it didn't have the horrible connotations it does today. I rarely if ever do those sorts of posts because people here don't throw that word around at all because they have to common decency not to and that one time I did tell someone not to use it they quickly understood the ramifications and I have not seen them use that word since.

Two there are much better descriptions to use on Knuckles than that word. Silly, daft, foolish, goofy, stupid, childish etc. Or hell you could have used the Patrick Star anthology right from the word go. You still would have gotten you point across and not looked like an out of touch edgelord doing so. And I find it even more sad of you to say that you would rather disable your account because you got upset at someone politely asking you not to use that word or finding out you can't throw around slurs wilily nilly due to not bothering to check the rules because they find it highly insulting and degrading rather than go "Whoops my bad I'll pick something better. Got any suggestions?".

It's not a slang term it's a slur people including yourself used to treat mentally ill/behavioural and intellectually disabled people like garbage. That word is not like gay where it has numerous meanings and has been thoroughly changed over time.

So yeah you've basically showed me that you don't really sympathise with people with disabilities that much since you really wanna use that word a heck of a lot more than actually listen to a person who is trying to tell you politely that word is a garbage word to use and there are better words to use.

Anyway that is the last I'll say on the matter.

Back on topic: I tend to love both Classic and Modern Sonic in different ways. Classic for the cool colours, level design and that sweet music and modern for the sleek designs the interesting stories and the adorable Cream the Rabbit. 

Also thanks so much for having my back again @Nepenthe you're a badass mod! Peace!

Aw, how touching.

Ugh, thanks, I got a headache from all your bullshit.

This is the second time you've asked to be banned in a span of a few days. Gotdamn, at least take me out to dinner first. No need to be so pushy.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.  This conversation has gotten ridiculously heated over the most simple and benign request.  I will kindly ask that we steer the discussion back on topic.  Anymore outbursts like this will be met with disciplinary behavior.

EDIT: Note that the above promise was already fulfilled on the guy trying to defend the use of the word. Do not use the word "retard," or any other slurs, in a pejorative way if you care about your account. Please and thank you.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I actually wasn't sure if this topic was asking us what our favorite era is or just the OP speaking about his favorite era, so I wasn't sure if the tangent was off topic or not.

That's what I figured was going on here. I may have jumped the gun, lol. 

I thought the OP was asking us for our personal favorite eras, as well; however, upon closer inspection, I'm not so sure.  So since he's no longer with us to explain it himself, allow me to steer the topic myself.  You may discuss your own favorite era, provided its done in a respectful and meaningful manner.  In addition, others are free to scrutinize and refute your points, again provided it is respectful and meaningful.

On that note, I'd like to elaborate on what I, personally, find to be disrespectful discourse in the context of this forum.  Others mods may disagree with me, and we'll discuss internally if any grey areas arise.  Basically, saying someone's point is "bullshit" (or any number of vulgar terms) is not a personal insult (provided they don't punctuate it with a personal insult, i.e. "Your point is akin to the ramblings of a cocky dumbass").  However, calling someone else a name ("you are bullshit" "you are an idiot" "you suck," etc.) is.  Attack points with a certain degree of tact (not exactly asking you to be super gentle and delicate here; just exercise commonsense), but not the person.

With that said, please feel free to continue the conversation.  Engage in thoughtful conversation, be firm if you so desire, but also be nice and be courteous.  I know you're all perfectly capable of it.  If you have any concerns about what might be appropriate, you're always welcome to PM me or another mod.

• Thumbs Up 4

Eh, I don't really have a favorite era per say. I like a lot of things from the different parts of Sonic's history.

The Classic Era had a solid line of main title games but the spinoffs can range from decent (Spinball, Chaotix) to pretty meh (GameGear games IMO except Tails Adventure). The only real flaw is that the Classic Era didn't really have a true 3D game yet but I do have some hope that with Mania being a thing, a true 3D Classic Era game would be in the horizons.

The Adventure Era is another era I liked, I can take notice of a lot of flaws in it but I still like it. Heck, played through the Adventures this morning actually and had some fun. Liked Sonic's gameplay in the Adventure duology, though I kinda prefer how Sonic controls in 2 than 1 tbh. Heroes/Shadow implemented a heavy combat focus into the formula which doesn't really fit with the established formula from the Adventures but I didn't personally hate it. ...what the heck is an 06? Yeah, I'm including the Storybook series and Unleashed into this era as well. The Storybook series had fun stories, which was an aspect I liked in most of the games in this era. And I love Unleashed HD, nuff said.

Modern Era, I'm considering Boom a big part of this era even though it's an much different take on the series. Love the show and Sanzaru's side of the games were enjoyable. Colors didn't really do it for me and while Generations is a good game, it feels like a stepdown from Unleashed in some aspects so I couldn't get into it either. Lost World is a strange game yet I love it because of how strange it is! Curious to see what 2017 is all about. Yeah, I don't got a whole lot to really say about the Modern Era in a positive light unlike the other two eras that doesn't involve Boom but I don't hate this era either.

Yeah, I chickened out but I don't care. I don't really identify myself as a fan of a specific era of Sonic. I just like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

The classic era is definitely my favorite. There's scattered bits and pieces beyond that that I like, but the series hasn't been as consistently good or as consistently...uh, consistent, as it was back in the Genesis era. Every main series game from back then is genuinely fun, even today, and they all share the same strong core mechanics and concepts, even as each pushes them in slightly different directions.

And I've never understood the argument that the series needs more "variety", in the Sonic Adventure sense. A few minigames and level gimmicks are one thing, but the series shouldn't need a bunch of radically different kinds of gameplay under the assumption that Sonic's isn't enough. I feel like any series worth a damn largely sticks to a few defining ideas and experiments with and iterates on them; the idea that "just running" gets boring is like saying you get bored of jumping in Mario, of battling in Pokemon, of shooting in (insert FPS of choice). If you get bored of a series' core gameplay, either the designers aren't doing their job right, or maybe the series just isn't your kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 5

Since I am a much bigger fan of the 2D Sonic games than the 3D games and Sonic almost always has good/fantastic 2D games it's a little harder for me to choose just one specific era. Especcially since I actually really like both the classic system and the boost system. 

Classic Era was fantastic 1991-1994, where most of the games were great (I absolutely love Sonic CD), but then from 1994 to 1998, there are almost no good Sonic games. Sonic Labyrenth, Sonic chaos and Sonic 3D blast are such an abomination, that had they been released modern day we would be slaughtering it as opposed to ignoring their existance. I will admit that I enjoyed Sonic 3D blast as a child though. All the racing games were bad in this period too, although Sonic R was pretty fun. Tails' Adventure is pretty good and Knuckles Chaotix is ok. They don't redeem much for me though. 

Adventure era is pretty similar. 1999-2004 had a few pretty awesome Sonic games. The Advance series is awesome (with the exception of Advance 3, which was still good). Neo Geo Adventure looks pretty sweet. Sonic Adventure had an annoying amount of unnecesary gameplay styles, although I really enjoyed playing Sonic and Omega who were both great. I really like Sonic Adventure 2, even though Knuckles/Rouge were just really mediocre and sometimes just plain bad. Tails' stages were not as good as they should have been. That said, to me Rouge was an endearing flaw, and Tails and Knuckles were bearable and occasionally fun, so most of the game was still increadibly fun. Sonic Heroes and Battle were pretty mediocre. Battle has a good story though. No games as good as Sonic CD/3&K, but no games as bad as Sonic 3D Blast. Quality was more consistant, but gameplay styles were jittering around too much for me to like this period more than the classic period. 

Experimental modern Era (as I like to call it) is quite different. 2005-2009 were just so full of mistakes and crap that it really just brings down the period as a whole. At least with SA1 and SA2, I could see Sonic Team learning and kinda polishing a gamestyle, here they just went full out crappy experimental mode. The storybook series were utterly underwhelming, although the characterisation and presentation was great. But yea, Sonic 06 and Shadow the Hedgehog were irredemably bad. It was just one bad/mediocre game after another. That said, Sonic Rush, and Rush Adventure were both pretty amazing games and Sonic Unleashed HD seems to be a pretty impressive game (although I havn't played it yet). Sonic Chronicles was fun... for the first half of the game at least. No comment on Sonic Riders/Rivals since I havn't seen much footage of them or played them yet. I would say I like this period less than Adventure and Classic Era. Rush is literally the only reason I don't hate on this period. 

Current Modern era (2010-present day) started off good again. It returned to the boost system introduced in Sonic Unleashed and decided to play around with it (thank god, I much prefer this to another experimental failure). Since I love 2D Sonic a good amount, I was more than happy. Sonic Colours DS seems like Rush 3 and I'm sure I'll love it when I get around to playing it. Colours was fairly good, Generations less so (although I found it more fun game). Sonic Racing Transformed is a pretty great and enjoyable racing game. Sonic lost World seems mediocre, although not particularly bad. I'll need to finish it though. I would say this period improved, but with the quality of 2D Sonic games sharply decreasing in quality after Sonic Colours, I'm slightly bitter. Sonic Gen 3DS is ok, and Fire and Ice seem decent, but honestly I want more good 2D Sonic games. Almost every period at least had good-fantastic Sonic 2D games, even during the worst of times, but this period has both awful 2D and terrible 3D games. I'm very greatful for Sonic Mania, and I hope Project 2017 will be decent at least. 

So overall, Classic and Adventure period are my favourite periods. I am pretty forgiving though, so if Sonic Mania and Project 2017 are good enough, I may consider Current modern Sonic a favourite period too. I consider myself pretty lucky for enjoying both Boost and classic Sonic, I don't feel betrayed no matter what path Sega chooses. Just please return Blaze/Fang to the games. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My favourite era is the classic era, hands down.

The artstyle, the gameplay, even the music..everything is spot on in my eyes. I have replayed Sonic 1-3k almost every day for the last 3 Weeks. Those games are Timeless, and in my eyes they have aged really well. I was not a big Fan of CD though.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Tara said:

Going to ask that responses generally be more detailed and thorough.  Don't just tell us your preference.  Tell us why.  Thanks! <3

OK.  Well I would say 1993-2004 were the best years for Sonic because that's when we had both quality & quantity, for the most part anyway, we had multiple cartoons, good games & of course the comics.  After Heroes though the quality of the games took a dip for awhile, and Sonic X ended around 2005 I believe and by 2006 the only constantly enjoyable sonic medium was the comics.

I am glad though that since 2010 the franchise has been picking itself back up off its feet, we have gotten solid games like Colors & Generations, and the while the Boom games have been, mixed, at least the handhelds are decent.  And we have a Sonic cartoon back on TV which is nice, and the comics continue to be enjoyable reads, even with all the annoying penders craziness & printing delays. But yea the 90's through early 00's will always be my favorite era for Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really have an favorite era, so I rather just say my opinion on each era.

The classic era is pretty good. It was the start of the series and pretty established many common aspects of the series. While I don't really like Sonic 1 or Sonic CD, Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles are probably my favorite games in the series, especially Sonic 2. I can play those two games and have a good time with them. Don't really care for most of the spin-offs from this era, though Tails' Adventure is alright.

I have mixed feelings towards the Adventure era. While I do like the larger cast of characters it has compared to other eras, I felt the games were left to be desired. Adventure 1 was alright, though I don't really find it all that replayable after beating it, I'm not really a fan of Adventure 2, Heroes was kinda medicore, and I don't like the Advance games as much as most people do. I will say I do really Rush Adventure, though I can't say the same for the original Rush, since I don't remember it very well. The less said about Shadow and 06, the better.

The Modern Era is alright. I remember Unleashed (HD) being my favorite Sonic game for a long while, but I haven't played it in a long time, so idk how I would feel about it now. Colors and Generations are pretty good, though I don't like Generations as much as I did back then (Although, I still really like Colors), Lost World was kinda eh, but nothing terrible, and while I'm not fond of the Boom games, the show's pretty decent, so there's that.

If I had to choose a favorite, then it would probably be the classic era, since I enjoy the games from that era the most, but really, I'm just a (sorta) allround fan.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Nepenthe said:

This is the second time you've asked to be banned in a span of a few days. Gotdamn, at least take me out to dinner first. No need to be so pushy.

that made me laugh so much, I've never heard that used in terms of banning someone before, lemonade came out my noise

On topic: Though It's not really an era I'm going with 1993-1995 as my personal 'best time for Sonic': Sonic the Comic  was at one of it's highest points with stories like Total Chaotix and Disaster; Sonic SatAM was on TV; Sonic 3, Sonic Knuckles, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic CD and Knuckles Chaotix all came out (I know lots of people don't like Chaotix, but I do, so I'm gonna namecheck it); the only thing really letting the side down was Archie!Sonic, which didn't really enter it's first 'golden era' (IMO) until the final month of 1995 (with issue 29) but there was still a few good stories in there. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Call it a nostalgia boner, but I adore the Adventure era. Well, my first game in the series was Sonic Adventure DX.
I don't know, something about it seemed always really cool to me. Realistic environments, Giant God Creatures, Scientists and a giant space station with a massive cannon, show me someone who says that it doesn't sound awesome and I'll show you a liar (in my opinion anyways)
While in personality I do prefer Modern Sonic because of his even more upbeat attitude and snark, Adventure Sonic still has those traits as well, just to a lesser extent. 
Some people may see it as weird, but I never found the Classic Era that interesting. I mean, I liked locations like Stardust Speedway or Sky Sanctuary, but everything else, while good, never really captivated me or made me obsessed with the Blue Blur as much as the Adventure games did.
Also, this should come as no surprise, but the Adventure era had some awesome OST tracks, like, holly molly and its all right up my alley, since I am a rock and jazz kind of person. They even made rap enjoyable for me lol. And let's not forget, Rouge's Stage themes are just smooth like butter and I love 'em. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine might be really specific but I was always partial to the short time after 06 but before Colours (so about 2007-2010). I guess you can call it the "Recovery Era". Unleashed and Black Knight were two of the best stories in the series with stronger and more coherent settings as well as developing and highlighting Sonic's character much more. I'm not saying these games are the best (well, I might say that for Unleashed) but there was genuine effort during this time.

Chronicles with its grander scale and use of Sonic's friends (playable again too!), Black Knight with its gorgeous score and meaningful story and Unleashed with its pristine look and lasting appeal. Hell, we had my personal favourite Riders game too with Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity. 2008 also saw the launch of the Mario and Sonic series which, while not amazing games, is pretty important at reestablishing Sonic and Mario's rivalry. 

Again, not a perfect time for Sonic but what was conveyed to me was effort and an honest attempt to climb back after Shadow and 06. It felt like Sonic could be relevant again and the following era starting with Colours is proof of that. Sonic may not have been on top of the world but I recognise how SEGA was really pushing the games to be better. I'm probably just biased because Unleashed is my favourite though so there's that. 

(Of course Sonic wound up in Smash Bros in this era too so even better!)