Awoo.

Shows You Want to See on DVD &/or Blu-Ray!?

SonicComicFanboy

So, what are some shows, recent or older you would like to see get proper DVD season/boxset releases!?

I for one would like to see...

-Elena of Avalor: The first Latina Disney princess is probably the best one so far, a great show for young and old Disney fans, even had a crossover that made the Sophia characters less annoying. (No offense to that show but my cousins kids used to watch it all the time and it really annoyed me for some reason XD)

-Gravity Falls:  A complete series Blu-Ray &/or Season 1 & 2 DVD boxset's with loads of Extra features would be awesome!  Sad Disney is too stingy to give us this!

-Justice League Action: More of a when then if, but hope we get the first season on DVD in time for the JLA movie this November.

-The Lion Guard: This is a great show for Lion King fans, we have gotten some singles, but a proper season set would be nice.

-Regular Show:  They released the first three seasons and then just stopped for no reason.  Now that the series has ended it would be nice to see the rest of it on DVD.

-Sonic Boom: A season one boxset from Shout Factory Would be nice.

-Star VS The Forces of Evil!: Another Disney toon it would be nice to see on DVD

-Steven Universe:  This Show is just as beloved as Adventure Time, it deserves proper Season set releases on BD/DVD

-Thundercats  (2011):  I need a blu-ray boxset of this NOW!!!

-We Bare Bears: This shoe is fun, relaxing and adorable would love to have season sets!

And for older shows, still hoping we get Darkwing Duck, Ducktales, Dexter's Lab, Ed Edd N Eddy, Gargoyles  Swatkats, The Tick & X-Men on Blueray someday!

So, how about the rest of you!?

33 minutes ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

-Gravity Falls:  A complete series Blu-Ray &/or Season 1 & 2 DVD boxset's with loads of Extra features would be awesome!  Sad Disney is too stingy to give us this!

-Thundercats  (2011):  I need a blu-ray boxset of this NOW!!!

A complete series DVD/BD of Gravity Falls would be amazing. They released two single discs which accounted for a little less than half of the first season and then fell off the face of the Earth with it.

As for Thundercats, there actually is a BD! For a while WHV, for whatever reason, was only producing these print-on-demand, but it looks like they stopped that in favor of a proper release. If I had a BD Player myself, I'd pick it up because the official DVDs are some bootleg quality stuff. Video actually looks okay, but the menus and some of the language options really had me questioning the legitimacy of the discs I got one Christmas! Another great series, shame it got cut short/wasn't given enough of a chance by CN.

Those aside, I'd have liked to have seen American releases of the Dragon Ball Dragon Box sets. I have the ones released for Z, but am a little disappointed ones for the original Dragon Ball, GT, and the movies never surfaced. FUNi's sets for these are perfectly serviceable, and automatically better than their orange brick sets for Z by virtue of being in the correct aspect ratio, but, ideally, I'd have wanted the sets based on the Japanese releases with the better restoration. I am glad, after so many years of picking up random DVDs, that I own the entirety of Dragon Ball via FUNi's season sets as well as their Z Dragon Boxes nonetheless.

And while it won't happen, I'd like to see Generator Rex have a complete home release. Warner and CN just sort of gave up on this show, which is a shame, because it was one of their best late action shows and I was always bummed about how unceremoniously it got yanked from its regular broadcast and then just quietly put on in the early morning MONTHS later to burn it off. There's one DVD set that covers the first half of season one, but then absolutely nothing. For something actually produced for their studios, I'm a bit upset that this show didn't get the same respect Ben 10 did, especially since it was by the same creative team (and was easily a better series).

Gravity Falls is definitely the big one, not much else to say.

Other than that I'd love an official subtitled release of Japanese Sonic X, genuinely.  That show is super nostalgic to me now despite it's flaws and I'd love a permanent, official copy of it, rather than fansubs with inconsistent fonts between episodes, swearing translated as-is and all that (though granted, it'd still be imperfect unless they re-licensed the OFF-COURSE songs).

I guess Kirby of the Stars (i.e. Kirby Right Back At Ya) I'd love to get the same treatment too.  The fansubbing for that show never even completed, I've still never seen the last quarter or so of the series due to refusing to watch the 4kids dub version, and I used to love it.

Finally, a slight tangent but... the most amazing thing ever would be a kickstarter or something to get as much of the original team and voice actors together, and finish off the original series of ReBoot as it was intended to be finished, as a direct to DVD/blu-ray special collector's edition.  Obviously it'd have no appeal outside of the existing fanbase, so that one would have to be crowd-funded and wouldn't be worth putting on TV unless they tied it into a digital re-release on Netflix and stuff too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really, REALLY want Sonic Boom on Blu-Ray, specifically the entire first season since it's finished. This show deserves it, in my opinion, and it would bring in the cash from loyal fans, I'm sure.

So far, only European territories have gotten home video releases while we're stuck with almost nothing (I say "almost" because of the DVD bundled with the Launch Edition of F&I), but it would certainly sell here in the West.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 minutes ago, blueblur98 said:

a blu-ray rerelease of the sonic OVA wouldn't hurt. 

I agree, though personally, I don't have Blu-Ray, so my priority would be just getting the DVD in print again. I've never owned it in any way and it kinda bums me out that there's no way I can actually own a copy of the thing unless I shell out a ridiculous amount of money, considering I like it quite a bit.

well I got a list here just a few shows some people might not remember but...

• recess complete series collection (roughly 125 15 min episodes and 2 half hour episodes)
  • buzz lightyear of star command series collection (65 episodes never released on a single vhs after the pilot tape)
  • mickey mouse works/house of mouse collection
  • Timon & Pumbaa series collection (85 episodes)
  • lilo and stitch the series collection (roughly 65 episodes 4 of which were crossover episodes)
  • kim possible complete series collection (anyone remember those last 36 episodes from that series that lasted 5 years?)
  • the emperor's new school series collection (52 episodes never released)
  • aladdin the tv series complete collection (86 episodes tons of dvd/vhs releases yet still no collection)
  • tailspin series collection (65 episodes)
  • the new adventures of winnie the pooh complete collection (50 episodes)
  • the little mermaid tv series collection (31 episodes)
  • hercules complete series ( 64 episodes one of which we get to see herc and aladdin duke it out)
  • super robot monkey team hyper force go! series collection (52 episodes)
  • chip and dale rescue rangers series collection (65 episodes)
  • tron uprising episode collection (19 episodes that you wouldn't know of unless you watched the episodes at midnight)
  • and lets not forget a darkwing duck collection (91 episodes)

also fun fact goof troop had 67 of its 78 episodes get released in 2013

• Thumbs Up 2

There are actually quite a fair few shows that I can think of. Blu-ray preferable but can settle for a complete DVD box set providing the price is right and quality is decent enough.

I Am Weasel being one of them that I can think of on top of my head. A bit more obscure but really enjoyed it enough and chances of a box set are slim.

Disney is pretty bad on this regard, they are fine when it comes to most of their movies but when it comes to TV shows it is a different matter. I would have at least considered buying a complete box set of Hercules, Tarzan, Aladdin, House of Mouse/Mickey Mouseworks, Timon and Pumbaa, Goof Troop, maybe Recess and Darkwing Duck but they have to be in good quality. Reminder of the time when I bought a box set of DuckTales (not complete either, first 33 episodes I believe) but had to return it to the store due to it was poorly done with constant interlacing and a bad NTSC to PAL conversion, my recorded version from the TV was better picture quality than the official release even though it was only a few episodes that I've managed to do.

What makes this worse is due to how each market is different and region locking as well. Many, many, many DVD or Blu-ray releases that the US got that other regions didn't get (and vice versa on some genres) and cartoons seem to get the short end of the stick when it comes releases either doing incomplete boxsets or random volume packs e.g. Ninja Turtles having 3 episode releases. Batman: The Animated Series only got the first two releases and would have bought Volume 3 and perhaps 4 except it wasn't released and a high price to import that might not even work since when it comes to region locking WB is hit and miss. Programs such as the Warner print on demand don't exist here. Also worrying that some series that I grew up with from Warner Bros such as Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, Courage the Cowardly Dog and Dexter's Lab (on Cartoon Network) are region locked or missing episodes such as Looney Tunes Golden Collection 4. Relating to that, I'm not sure if the 2003 TMNT series has a full box set.

Anime is even worse. I'm trying to get into Lupin the 3rd and the only releases are a Blu-ray of Castle of Cagliostro that is in worser quality than the JP/US region locked releases and heavily downplays the series as in marketed more as a Miyazaki movie, The Woman Who is Called Fujiko Mine that its own thing, a few hard to find out of print DVDs of Secret/Mystery of Mano and two random specials or even VHS tapes! All those Discotek releases in the US by comparison feels like luxury and as far as I know; there are still missing gaps such as Part 2, Part 3, Italian Adventure (rumoured to get a Blu-ray release here but got delayed due to unsure of a dub), the 3rd movie and many of the specials. Would be lovely to see a Region B Blu-ray of the series, even just Part 1 (a port of this with subtitles) and Part 3 will do me fine.

Also there are a couple of Blu-ray releases of stuff that is on DVD but in better quality. Sonic Boom was lucky enough to get Season 1 on 4 Volume DVDs however the show was made for HD in mind and would be great to see, plus I heard that there are a couple of issues with the DVDs being out of sync. Only problem is that cartoon Blu-ray releases are hard to get and apart from movies, perhaps the odd Simpsons season and I don't know how high demand is. The Sweeney did get a Season 1 Blu-ray to high praise however it stopped and would have loved to see Season 2 and 3, not just for me but also for the fans of the series. I'll also 3rd the Sonic OVA as well even though am happy enough with the DVD.

• Thumbs Up 3

17 hours ago, Zaysho said:

And while it won't happen, I'd like to see Generator Rex have a complete home release. Warner and CN just sort of gave up on this show, which is a shame, because it was one of their best late action shows and I was always bummed about how unceremoniously it got yanked from its regular broadcast and then just quietly put on in the early morning MONTHS later to burn it off. There's one DVD set that covers the first half of season one, but then absolutely nothing. For something actually produced for their studios, I'm a bit upset that this show didn't get the same respect Ben 10 did, especially since it was by the same creative team (and was easily a better series).

Takes the words right out of my mouth. Loved that show.

9 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I agree, though personally, I don't have Blu-Ray, so my priority would be just getting the DVD in print again. I've never owned it in any way and it kinda bums me out that there's no way I can actually own a copy of the thing unless I shell out a ridiculous amount of money, considering I like it quite a bit.

Same here, I had the OVA on VHS back in the day, but was never lucky enough to get the DVD.  Hoping someone like Shout Factory! Or Discotek licence it and put it out again someday!

I'd love it if Lupin III: Part III and The Legend of the Gold of Babylon got a North American release. Pink Jacket Lupin's my favourite Lupin and I need that in my life. Part III is getting a Blu-ray release in Japan though so that's making me a little bit hopeful. I'd also really love a Part IV release and I'm pretty sure it's gonna happen, but I don't think there's a confirmed date yet.

Wander Over Yonder is another show I'd really love a box set of. That show has some of the best animation I've ever seen in on television.

Also a Blu-ray set for seasons one and two of Ren & Stimpy would be great. Some episodes on the DVD set look so pixely on an HD TV and it really distracts from the great animation.

I would've also added that I'd love for a North American release of Nichijou, but that's finally happening like less than two weeks from now so yay <3

Tron Uprising. Tron (original) is my favorite movie, but I probably would've never watched it (or Tron Legacy) if it wasn't for Tron Uprising. It's really sad it lasted only one season, it was the best show Disney had in years :( It's one of the best animated shows I've ever seen.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Mighty max and bucky of hare

Having Bucky O Hare on DVD would be awesome!

I would love to see Teen Titans get a blu ray collection! Have all five seasons including the movie in high definition would be freaking epic! Sure I already own the series on DVD, but the quality could be so much better. I'd buy the complete collection in a heartbeat if they ever released it. :P

- The remaining episodes of Darkwing Duck, would be nice. Not sure why Disney stopped after 2 volumes.

Spider-Man: TAS, how this show has managed to elude a complete series release in the US is beyond me, when Disney has put out the other 90's Marvel shows complete on DVD. You'd think Spider-Man would be a given. 

Mighty Ducks: TAS, I'm sure the show hasn't aged well but I loved it when I was a kid, and I'd love to own it and relive it again.

- Transformers: Robots in Disguise (2001), my understanding on why this show hasn't gotten a US release is because the show is stuck in licensing limbo. Disney acquired the series when they bought the Fox Kids library from Saban in 2002. Since then Saban has reacquired some of their programming, but 'Car Robots', was not among those shows, and its unknown if whether or not Disney still owns the series. With the massive success of the Bayformers movies you would think Disney would want to capitalize on it by releasing the show on DVD like they did with the Marvel shows in the early 2000's.

- Shaman King, I don't care if its a redub (unlikely) or license rescue of the 4Kids dub by DiscoTek. This show needs a complete release on DVD.

- TMNT 2K3, Nick stop messing around with those shitty volume releases with 3 random episodes on them. This show deserves better than that. Really wish 4Kids finished their season sets before Nick bought the franchise.

It'll never happen. Not in a million years…

…but I want to see some sort of official release of Heil Honey, I'm Home. I'm linking to Brad Jones' review that provides a bit of background on the endeavor. It's not good… like, at all… I mean it's a 1950's-styled sitcom starring Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler, for crying out loud! …but it exists. It was made. Only one episode ever aired but …there it is. Apparently there were more episodes made and I guess the macabre curiosity in me wants to see what those were like and how the writers and producers planned to milk this insane concept.

There's gonna be a lot of Disney on this list:

• DuckTales Vol 4:  It's nearly five years overdue for this volume containing the final 25 episodes of the show.  Not only does this contain the rise of Fenton Crackshell as GizmoDuck (most of the season 3-4 episodes featured him), but it also has the debut of Dijon who was made popular via the 1990 film.
  • Aladdin the Series:  We've had all three movies, and a few episodes here and there on standalone VHS tapes, so why not have them released on a box-set?
  • Hercules the Series:  We've only have three episodes of the show on tape as one interconnected movie, and the show was in rerun for a long time on Toon Disney (up until they rebranded as Disney XD), but even then we were missing out on a lot of episodes, including one that had to be pulled after the Columbine Massacre.  And not to mention that it confirms that Aladdin and Herc share the same univers
  • The Muppet Show Season 4-5:  They just stopped at Season 3, when plenty of Muppet fans know that the series lasted much longer.
  • Muppets Tonight:  Disney has gone on record saying that they'll release this series on DVD after they finish up the Muppet Show.
  • Other Muppet productions: too many to list, but a few highlights include Classic Theater, both Jon Denver specials, the Frog Prince (the official debut of Sweetums and Robin), and the Great Santa Claus Switch (the debut of the puppet that would eventually become Gonzo)
  • Walt Disney Treasures Wave 10:  It would only make sense since there is a wealth of episodes/cartoons/films that haven't seen the light of day.  Perhaps they could make a second Oswald volume once they finally get all the shorts made before Mintz "stole" Oswald from Walt (A few have been found in recent years).  Perhaps even a set dedicated to other affiliates to the Senstational Six (Even though the Chronological Donald Vol 4 had some of his Mouse Works shorts, it's still missing some shorts with our favorite Duck) like some of the shorts starring Chip'n Dale, $crooge McDuck and Money, and some of the shorts featuring Ludwig von Drake.  How did they originally end it?  Just two tins dedicated to Zorro, despite the previous sets including at least one set of animation.
  • Any of the old Pooh shows prior to "My Friends Tigger and Pooh":  Please, Disney, please!  There's just so much that you can present of Pooh and his friends.  Take for instance Welcome to Pooh Corner, the first one of the three:  Live action/puppet show which is the only one to have Bob and Dick Sherman's classic theme as the opening theme, not to mention the only time that Tigger was voiced by Will Ryan.  The New Adventures has seen some episodes on home video, but never the whole series.  The Book of Pooh is a similar tale.  For that matter, why can't we have all three original shorts in their unedited form (that is not strung together as a single film)?  I used to have a VHS tape of all three shorts in that format plus the Day for Eeyore recorded on it as well, but Disney seems almost dead set to have the shorts released as the feature-length film with the fourth as a bonus.

I really want Kanon 2006 on Blu-ray. North America got Clannad but not Kanon (Air was a crappy upscale), and the HD version released in Japan is gorgeous.

Considering I'm in the UK, I have quite a few to say because we never got them in the UK.

Danny Phantom Seasons 1-3: One of my favourite shows of all time, and I believe it got a limited season run through ShoutFactory in the US. Everywhere else on the other hand is shit out of luck. Consider Nick is one of the better distributors of their shows in the UK, having a lot of DVDs for older Nicktoons such as Rugrats, Spongebob, and Avatar, I really want them to start getting out seasons of the other classic shows.

Proper Versions of Adventure Time: When I say this, I mean proper boxset releases that have all of the episodes on the discs. There is season boxsets here (I even have Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD) but Season 2, where the show began getting more story based, and even introduced The Lich IIRC has several episodes completely cut from it, and from what I've heard of Season 3, it's the same case.

Dragon Ball Z Movies: Technically a cheat, but since they're based on the actual series, and two of the movie specials directly tie into the series (Bardock and Trunks) it sucks that we haven't gotten them in the UK. Not only that, but we got a bigger insult. The first three did release, but they're the worst DBZ dub I've ever heard, only rivaled by the Speedy dub. If you need an idea of how shit they are:

So I'd love to see a proper release of the movies that Funimation have done.

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's not so much a matter of shows that need DVD releases, but existing DVD releases that need a freaking UK release.

A lot of the shows on my "need in a boxset" list have one already. It's just the people behind them seem to think "oh nobody in this country is gonna by the DVDs".

Like, in the US, nearly every Pokemon series is, or has been availble on DVD at some point or another. In the UK, nothing, nada (excluding Chronicles and the movies).

Nick is finally doing wide-releases for seasons 1 & 2 of Rugrats, they will be out this May.

Anywho back on topic...

I wonder if CN/AS will consider releasing Samurai Jack on Blu-ray if the Season 5 mini-series does well?

Also really hoping we can see more obscure CN shows like Mike, Lou & Og and Time Squad on DVD someday.