Awoo.

Would you play a Mario anniversary game in the mold of Sonic Generations?

johnboy3434

As much as I loved Generations, I would personally love a game that gives Mario the same general treatment: A level inspired by each of the major titles in his library, available in both a 2D and 3D playstyle.

I know Super Mario Maker was supposed to be the franchise's big "celebration" game, but as amazing as the game is, the unfortunate fact is that it only really celebrates the 2D games.

I guess I would, if they made one, but I'd rather they didn't. Not because it's a particularly bad idea, but I'd prefer they just keep making new games instead of trawling for nostalgia buys.

Also it's really hard to imagine what an updated SMB level would look like. The graphics were so limited that I'm not sure how they could be updated while still being recognizable as SMB.

• Thumbs Up 3

I...might play it down the line, possibly, but I wouldn't be half as invested in it as I was Generations. 

If they pulled it off properly, I don't think a lot of people would say they wouldn't play it. There's more than enough levels in the 3D games alone to pull this off. It's only when you look at say, the NSMB titles where it starts getting iffy, but who cares about those

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, Josh said:

If they pulled it off properly, I don't think a lot of people would say they wouldn't play it. There's more than enough levels in the 3D games alone to pull this off. It's only when you look at say, the NSMB titles where it starts getting iffy, but who cares about those

Don't get me wrong, I would likely still play it. I just mean personally, I don't know if it'd work as well due to that issue I mentioned. You also have to keep in mind that if we were going by a Generations mold, then it would likely be one to two levels from each game, so I doubt they could just mix and match 3D levels and no 2D levels. 

Even in cases where a game didn't have distinct enough levels/worlds, I think it'd be easy to get around that by making levels that combine elements from similar themes, not just sticking to one specific level or world. Like, for SMB, they could use elements from all the "overworld" areas; not just the basic 1-1 levels, but the hills/mountains, the mushroom platforms, and the cheep-cheep bridge too. Or go even further and flavor the levels around the whole game; have a primarily overworld-themed level, but include dark blue-toned caves and watery bits lined with green stone and pink coral. So long as they didn't double up on level themes, I think the different flavors of each game would be enough to make each level feel distinct.

Just to throw some ideas out there, for the games with somewhat less distinct worlds:

SMB: Overworld, as mentioned above.

SMB2: Desert would be a good choice, it's got a lot of memorable SMB2 enemies like Phanto, Pokeys, and Cobrats, and it even fits the "world 2 is desert world" trend.

SMB3: Giant Land and Pipe Land are both memorable, unique worlds, either could work.

World: Forest of Illusion. Forests aren't a super well-represented trope in Mario, and this particular forest overlaps well with spooky tropes, so they can include some ghost house stuff since SMW introduced them.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also worth noting that Sonic Generations didn't mind being repetitive with it's level tropes at all, so it's very possible to pull this off with Mario, I think.

I don't really see the point in such an idea. Aside from World 1-1 in the original game, I wouldn't consider any Mario levels "iconic" in terms of public consciousness or memorable gimmicks. The series is best described as an obstacle course that's more interested in throwing tons of ideas and challenges at you in very quick succession without necessarily any of them making a lasting impression as inherent staples or experiences. The  aesthetics and the like of any given level exist in a more ambiguous context that serves little more than coincidental window dressing for the actual mechanics you'll be interacting with versus locations and places with reasonable narrative purpose and attempts to immerse the player. There also isn't much of a gameplay split to get me on board. There's a certain novelty to the idea of seeing Classic Sonic in a Modern Sonic level because of the mismatch between the gameplay each identifies with and their respective level design. What all would be different about any level in Super Mario World being translated into Galaxy gameplay?

• Thumbs Up 2

I dunno if I'd want an entire game like Generations, but I wouldn't be against seeing a few 2D levels re-imagined in 3D. They've already brought back older 3D Mario levels into newer ones, like Whomp's Fortress in Galaxy 2, so I don't see why not. It'd be kind of interesting to see how they'd go about doing it, especially if they used the more 'free-roaming' 3D Mario mechanics as opposed to 3D Land / World's 8-directional movement / pseudo-2D gameplay.

Honestly no mainly because I'm getting sick of them pulling the nostalgia card for the last 10 plus years and it's been in the other spinoff series as well. And having a whole game that's pretty much nothing but throwbacks would annoy me. I'd rather the series just branch out and go in a new direction and nothing more like what odyssey is doing. I'm a slave to this franchise anyways so I'll most likely buy it anyways

• Thumbs Up 3