Awoo.

Most overhyped sonic game

Meta77

Is there any way in the series you consider overhyped or praised to hard? For me probably sonic heroes or the rush series. Both were ok but noting I myself couldn't live without honestly

Three games immediately come to mind when I think of games people consider as great but I find to be subpar at best.

Sonic Rush, Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations.

Sonic Rush is a good game but there's some things I don't like about it that really kills my mood about it. A big thing is definitely the level design, it's not the best and the levels don't really do a whole lot to make them stand out from one another so they feel a bit bland as well. Oh yeah and the slow-paced platforming segments really kill the pace of the levels them and good grief, those bottomless pits.

Sonic Colors was definitely the game needed to help bring back Sonic's credibility after the 06 fallout with people just willing to accept anything that's not as bad as that (except Unleashed for some reason) so when Colors came out and didn't have any of the stupid bullshit most Sonic games had, people praised it. But looking back at it now, it took away a good amount of the dumb gimmicks most Sonic games have (well the Wisps can be considered gimmicks too but I guess their inclusion was inoffensive at best) but it also took away a lot of the action elements that made most Sonic games exciting and entertaining to play. For the most part, the levels are in 2D which fine and nifty and all but it feels like I'm playing a Sonic game with Marble Zone's pacing except even more barebones. I mean, Colors looks amazing for the system it's on but holy shit, its level design is so boring and uninspired. Thank goodness, most of these levels don't last for more than 2 minutes because I'd be sleeping halfway through if it ever lasted for more than 6. Story is also subpar, Eggman is great and seeing Sonic and Tails bro out is also fun to see but Pontac and Graff try way too hard to bring in jokes.

Generations is another decent game that seems to get away with doing just the bare minimum. The levels look great and the level design is pretty solid (though Planet Wisp goes on for way too long) and the boss fights were also pretty good (except the Time Eater, both versions suck). Music is great as well but no duh and some of the Challenge Acts actually do provide a good challenge! But outside of that, good grief. Pontac and Graff were a poor choice to write for this story since this game could really relish with a lot of great referential humor and the works but since P&G barely know anything about the series and Sonic Team not giving enough of a shit to help them out on that front, the whole story is just dull and lame. The White Space hubworld is also pretty lame too, an over-glorified stage select disguised as a hub. Generations only seems to put all their effort into the gameplay, level design, visuals and music but said fuck all to the rest of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hmm does it seem the less they do these days the more people praise it? The adventure series took the most risk I think.sadly it's skipped by many not directly born in the 90s. And then proceed to praise colors or generations like a coming of greatness?

Sonic Generations hands down.

Considering how much there was that could have been in the game, it was so short/empty in the end it's like getting a steak somebody else already chowed down on leaving the bone and just tiny nibbles of meat stuck to it, and the final boss has to be the worst in the franchise to me, from the battle itself which was underwhelmingly boring and slow paced, and the composition used is nothing compared to Chaos, Biolizard, Solaris, Perfect Gaia and the final Colors boss. I mean, hell, they couldn't even be bothered to include the entire CG intro for the game that was cut up and used in all the trailers.

Considering the way the thread's going it's starting to seem self-defeating to say it, but, Generations. It's not a terrible game, but there's times that it gets hyped up like it's the best game in the series, and it's really...not. Not to go into another full-on rant about it, but Classic Sonic was cheaply done, Modern Sonic was just shallow, burnt-out boost gameplay again, and nothing interesting was done with the characters or story. It's the kind of game that's only a high point because of how low the rest of the series has sunk, and we should be asking for more out of the series than it.

I have to go with Sonic 2 on the Genesis honestly. Sure it introduced the spin dash and allowed you to play as Tails for the first time* but I still think Sonic CD and Sonic 3K are much better. (Yes I know they came out later still I even like Sonic 1 a bit more than 2. :P) I felt that the game was a bit more broken than the other Genesis games, the music while still amazing isn't as memorable as other Genesis titles. Also it's disappointing that you can't fly as Tails, despite knowing he can fly. I also find Sonic Unleashed to be overhyped as well. I found Sonic to be a bit difficult to control at times, and the werehog while looking epic, his gameplay style just doesn't fit with Sonic himself... I honestly think the werehog's style of gameplay fits Knuckles more than Sonic himself. Maybe many people enjoy it since it was the game that came out after Sonic '06 and was "better than '06." (I like '06 more than Unleashed, sue me. :P)

*Tails didn't debut in Sonic 2 Genesis like many people think. He debut in Sonic 2 on the Master System and wasn't playable, I know most people here probably already know that but some people might not. xD

• Thumbs Up 1

I just feel bad that I always fall for the hype * i blame the trailers honestly*. As stated generations seems to one game on many's list. I honestly just hope Project 17 is good. Though honestly besides a short 20 second clip we have not really got much on it.

It would have been nice if the trailer ended with a bunch of characters suddenly jumping on screen around Sonic and pulling off some pose before it went black and said something like

"Back In The Resistance"

or something...

But that's steering this into beating a horse long since dead.

While nowhere near most overhyped, I never got the love Lost World got.  I played both the WiiU & 3DS versions and didn't enjoy either.  Heck I had more fun with Rise of Lyric! (Sure it was mostly having fun in the sense of laughing at someone instead of with someone but it was still fun darn it!)  But playing through Lost World was just a chore!

Generations honestly hasn't been overhyped since like 2013. It got hyped to shit back in 2011, but not so much now. I'd say Unleashed is more overhyped than it now. I don't think any Sonic game is majorly overhyped at this point in time, but SA2 has probably been the most overhyped of all the Sonic games. Back in the day, SA2 was considered one of the best Sonic games for almost up until Colours, but when I finally played it in 2008, I was really disappointed and still find it disappointing considering I still like SA1.

8 hours ago, Semi-colon e said:

Generations honestly hasn't been overhyped since like 2013. It got hyped to shit back in 2011, but not so much now. I'd say Unleashed is more overhyped than it now. I don't think any Sonic game is majorly overhyped at this point in time, but SA2 has probably been the most overhyped of all the Sonic games. Back in the day, SA2 was considered one of the best Sonic games for almost up until Colours, but when I finally played it in 2008, I was really disappointed and still find it disappointing considering I still like SA1.

Up till the new game reveals all you'd see on Thier fb wall was either sa3 or young people  begging for generations 2 cause it was so great. Honestly the story for generations is what upset me the most

You know I never understand the point of topics like this. The subject is so subjective that the conversations never go beyond "I think x popular game is bad because I find fault with y." It doesn't seem much different than the trend of popular products receiving tremendous backlash purely because they're popular. If enough people like a game there's probably some quality to it that means it's not overhyped, but a legitimately good product.

Or they're probably being a contrarian just for the sake of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, SonicComicFanboy said:

While nowhere near most overhyped, I never got the love Lost World got.  I played both the WiiU & 3DS versions and didn't enjoy either.  Heck I had more fun with Rise of Lyric! (Sure it was mostly having fun in the sense of laughing at someone instead of with someone but it was still fun darn it!)  But playing through Lost World was just a chore!

I'll be honest, if all the stages followed a design like the Zelda stage from the DLC then Lost World could have been what the Adventure games should have been.

• Thumbs Up 1

None of the Sonic games seem to get enough praise for me to call any of them overhyped to be honest. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Josh said:

None of the Sonic games seem to get enough praise for me to call any of them overhyped to be honest. 

The problem is too much hype and too little time to make a descent product. The biggest lesson for the company is

tumblr_m54yrvVLs61qmt85zo1_500.gif

But apparently this is the motto they're operating by now so... Better games on the horizon perhaps.

23 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

The problem is too much hype and too little time to make a descent product. The biggest lesson for the company is

tumblr_m54yrvVLs61qmt85zo1_500.gif

But apparently this is the motto they're operating by now so... Better games on the horizon perhaps.

It worked out for Fire & Ice, probably not in sales but critically, it's an improvement. Not a vast improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

ijustloveboomok

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

It worked out for Fire & Ice, probably not in sales but critically, it's an improvement. Not a vast improvement but an improvement nonetheless.

ijustloveboomok

Here's the thing, we don't owe SEGA of Japan nor Sonic Team thanks/praise for that, it was all SEGA of America and their partners doing. We've seen first hand how SEGA of America can handle things over time, and in just a few years they're making strides the East has been attempting to make for over 10-20 years.

(Edit)

(Which is why I don't think anyone from Sonic Team or SEGA of Japan should be advertising Mania since it's all Whitehead/the Wests work, kind of taking credit where it's not due)

Hoo boy, I know I'm going to get some hate for this, but here are my humble opinions:

Sonic CD- I love the level environments and concept, but the level design was some of the worst I've ever seen in a video game. Hidden paths that lead to nothing, springs in weird places, odd enemy placement...it's like they grabbed some guy off the street, turned on construction mode, and said "hey, design some levels."

Sonic 2- It's a great game, sure, but Sonic 3 (& Knuckles) was so much bigger and better in every conceivable way that I can't understood how one could possibly like 2 the best.

Colors- It was heralded as Sonic's big return, but all it was was boring, blocky level design with a fun, Sonic-cy story that was unfortunately marred by incredibly grating, childish dialogue.

I wouldn't say there are really any games in this series that are overhyped. They usually get whatever score they deserve upon release, and Generations got a bunch of 7s, 8s, and even lower here and there, how could you honestly call that game overhyped?

Not to mention, most 3D Sonic games have pretty mediocre or bad stories, so Generations not having much of one (even if I don't like what was there particularly) didn't really bother me.

Sonic 3 (not & Knuckles) by a country mile. Did not like a lot of the decisions taken with that game, but I've already beaten that horse to death. 

Sonic 1 and Sonic CD also sort of fall into the same boat, but they've got their fair share of detractors too so not quite as much, plus I don't dislike them quite as much. And in Sonic CD's case level design was a much bigger factor. 

Sonic Colours was one of the blandest Sonic games I've ever played (despite being set in a theme park WTF), and I was definitely not upset when Jim Sterling gave it a 4.5. 

Sonic and the Secret Rings would have qualified back in 2007 when everyone was busy adoring it while I loathed it, but time has caught up and now it's getting the bollocking it deserves. 

I didn't think Sonic Rush is all that impressive. It was okay when I played it but there wasn't much to it. Same with the Advance games. 

Any and all Gamegear/Master System Sonic platform games that get hyped, I just cannot gel with their style at all. 

Sonic Unleashed [PS3]: Not from the critics, of course, but the praise from fans led me to purchase it and I hated it. The day stages were a disaster and the night stages were even worse. Graphically, it was very impressive, but the experience was a crushing disappointment. I may give it another shot down the line, although I'm not overly enthusiastic about doing so.     

Sonic CD: The level design is downright bad sometimes. I remember being really excited to finally play it when Gems Collection came out and while I liked it, I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed after years of reading about what an incredible game it was. I guess there's been something of a re-evaluation since then, but for years I remember it had this near-mythical status amongst some Sonic fans.  

18 hours ago, Maxtiis said:

You know I never understand the point of topics like this. The subject is so subjective that the conversations never go beyond "I think x popular game is bad because I find fault with y." It doesn't seem much different than the trend of popular products receiving tremendous backlash purely because they're popular. If enough people like a game there's probably some quality to it that means it's not overhyped, but a legitimately good product.

Or they're probably being a contrarian just for the sake of it.

Well if a products bad or has flaws and a company continues to want to push that model because their will always be a segment excited for it. Best modern example. MN 9 it was hyped to high he'll people jumped on bored. Praised the game for bringing back old school mega action just updated. And look what we got. Same for past games. Some might have been good but many carry a segment of fans that act like it was just mind blowing and life changing.

Take heed to say capcom and resident evil 2. Lord that game is definition of noting but overhyped nostalgia glass type game