Awoo.

| SPOILER THREAD | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nepenthe

12 minutes ago, Speederino said:

What else could it be referencing, though? The only other game that seems like a sorta-possibility to me is Link Between Worlds, whose alternate world has kind of a twilight-ish feel to it. But that just seperates it from Wind Waker even further.

Btw just curious, what is Zelda's Wind Waker reference? I'm assuming you're talking about the same cutscene where she references Twilight Princess, which I need to watch again.

Its obviously a reference to Twilight Princess to us. I'm just saying, from an in-game perspective its vague.

She also mentions sailing across the seas and I think I read another thing she mentioned is something about a link to the past. I'd have to look up the cutscene again, but she makes several game references, and every single one of them is vague from an in-game perspective, even if they're obvious from our perspective.

Its not like directly referencing actual events, which is exactly what comes from the Zora carvings where Ruto is mentioned and it states her full role during Ocarina of Time, with her becoming a sage and helping defeat Ganondorf (it doesn't say Ganondorf directly, just an "evil man").

So beat the game last week. How or why do they say canons gone for now like he could come back. Wasn't this supposed yo be the end . He gave up on reincarnation he was so mad at losing all the time was calamity canons big deal

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

So beat the game last week. How or why do they say canons gone for now like he could come back. Wasn't this supposed yo be the end . He gave up on reincarnation he was so mad at losing all the time was calamity canons big deal

I think all they were saying is that he was trying to recreate a physical body (reincarnate), but for the final boss he decided to give up on doing that and just become a massive monstrosity instead.

6 minutes ago, JaidynReiman said:

I think all they were saying is that he was trying to recreate a physical body (reincarnate), but for the final boss he decided to give up on doing that and just become a massive monstrosity instead.

Yes so he lost that power for good. Best he can do is calamity form now?

They'll do with him whatever they want, the ending is open and vague enough that he could come back in any form. Of course, that's if there's even another game after this in whatever timeline it's in; there's plenty of other space for them to set games where they wouldn't even have to consider what happened to this game's Ganon.

12 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Saying he can't reincarnate and that he is finally sealed by Zelda was not vague though really

Yeah, it is, because we have no idea what they mean by it.

Eh I guess if you want to see it that way for me I felt closure instead of the same story every game or at least concerning ganon.

Well from what i did see, there a lot of close reference from the other previous games from the child timeline. Maybe that's just me exaggerated, but i do feel there chance this game is around that timeline, child one.

The only thing keeping me from saying it's the exact same one from OoT, is that this supposedly is far at the end of one of the timelines(likely child), whereas OoT is at the very beginning. If we're talking 1000's of years in between, I can't see these ruins being this intact. Not to mention some people have also pointed out the layout doesn't make sense in regards to its placement to hyrule castle if it's the ranch from OoT(though that could easily be retconned). 

What makes me iffy about Ganon being gone for good in this game is that you don't deal the final blow with the Master Sword, but a light arrow from the Bow of Light, considering the Master Sword is supposed to be Sword of Evil's Bane (or Sword that seals the darkness in this case) it's very much not the defining weapon you beat Ganon down with which to me is weird, since the Master Sword is generally the final act of sealing Ganon away again, since it's very purpose is to repel Ganon.

They weren't kidding about breaking the conventions of Zelda huh?

Well, it's not exactly unprecedented. Silver arrows were used to defeat Ganon in Zelda 1 and ALTTP. And considering how much the original game inspired this one, I wouldn't doubt they brought that back intentionally.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hmm... Perhaps, it would make sense. I'm just so used to fucking Ganon up with the Master Sword lol.

Zelda did say in the perfect ending that it's likely Ganon would be back do that theory is not unfounded 

Its not the same one from OoT, but it is identical in layout to the one from OoT. Its obviously a reference to it. Most of the ruins in Central Hyrule were likely destroyed 100 years ago.

To be honest, sly references to other Zelda games can't be used much here with timeline discussion.  Any number of these things could be mere coincidence - most notably the fact that Hyrule is full of areas named after characters and places from every single Zelda game in the franchise pretty much.  Names from Majora's Mask could be said to come from Link returning to Hyrule in the child timeline and telling his tales of Termina, which spread around and became legend etc, but even then we have names from games that we know conflict on the timeline branches etc.

But yeah, in-universe, the ranch thing is a coincidence - considering all the other ruins around have specific names, simply calling that one "Ranch Ruins" seems deliberate to not make the unbelievable scenario in which a humble ranch has remained exactly the same design/layout for over 10,000 years lol.  But meta-wise it's obviously meant to evoke Lon Lon Ranch.

I'm actually kind of surprised we didn't get more sly re-creations of recognisable areas from Zelda, considering the scope of the world and how much content they had to come up with to fill it... surprised and, obviously, impressed that they didn't resort to that more often.

Weren't past games hinted as just takes in this but then way the ranch and twilight mirror ruins?

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Weren't past games hinted as just takes in this but then way the ranch and twilight mirror ruins?

I think that sentence got away from you a bit there, no idea what you meant to get across by this.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I think that sentence got away from you a bit there, no idea what you meant to get across by this.

YEa it's this stupid update on my phone they messed up autocorrect.  I meant were not the older games basically fairy tales of sorts. But then said why have the ranch and twilight mirror. It's like they have all connected finally.

4 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

YEa it's this stupid update on my phone they messed up autocorrect.  I meant were not the older games basically fairy tales of sorts. But then said why have the ranch and twilight mirror. It's like they have all connected finally.

I do think there is a definite air of "the same story retold many times" about the franchise, hence why it is "the legend" of Zelda.  Like an ancient mythological tale that gets passed around different cultures and there are multiple versions of the story etc.  Like they intentionally evoke that, BUT there is also a strict canon... you just can't take every single bit of information the games present as fixed, they always take artistic liberties with it - the geography of Hyrule is a prime example.

With the exception of the ruined temple if time it is pretty surprising we didn't get much of the "ruined famous landmark from past Zelda game" trope. I'm kinda happy about it since it gives the game its own identity but I wouldn't have minded one or two more of those instances. The only other thing that springs to mind is TP's (?) ruined castle town 

23 minutes ago, Soniman said:

With the exception of the ruined temple if time it is pretty surprising we didn't get much of the "ruined famous landmark from past Zelda game" trope. I'm kinda happy about it since it gives the game its own identity but I wouldn't have minded one or two more of those instances. The only other thing that springs to mind is TP's (?) ruined castle town 

Arbiter's Grounds is along the southern edge of the Gerudo Desert. It's nothing more than the remains of a few structures barely sticking out of the sand at this point, and without the name, I don't think you'd be able to recognise it at all. There's Spectacle Rock as well. I think it's wherefrom Vah Naboris takes aim at Hyrule Castle.

Speaking of past locations though, was anyone else a bit "eh" towards Kakariko Village? Finally seeing the Sheika race en massé was interesting, and it makes sense that they would choose to go for a traditional Japanese theme considering the nature of the tribe. But it kinda bugs me that Kakariko isn't anywhere near Death Mountain. The geography of Hyrule is constantly changing, so whereabouts different places lie isn't a big deal. It's just that Kakariko has virtually always been close to Death Mountain. And even when it's not, it's never had anything close to the Japanese theme before. They didn't event use any of the Kakariko theme music. Bit of a shame, that. Location aside, Hateno feels more like what I expected from Kakariko.