Awoo.

| SPOILER THREAD | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nepenthe

Is that even THE Twilight mirror? Apparently it was just a reference and not actually the mirror.(plus wasnt it flat out destroyed by Midna?)

36 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Is that even THE Twilight mirror? Apparently it was just a reference and not actually the mirror.(plus wasnt it flat out destroyed by Midna?)

There's no sign of the mirror, but it's still the same location.

17 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

There's no sign of the mirror, but it's still the same location.

Arbiter's Grounds is in name only. Even if you consider its buried under sand it still looks nothing like the original. Kinda disappointing.

The mirror is in the game I've heard. Also she only shattered it. But they hinted there was more than one way into the realm

It's the same place. You may not be able to tell from looks alone, but it's in Gerudo Desert and it's called Arbiter's Grounds. You don't really need much more proof than that. There's no plot relevance there. It's just Nintendo saying "hey look, it's that same place X years into the future. Cool, huh?".

10 hours ago, Meta77 said:

The mirror is in the game I've heard. Also she only shattered it. But they hinted there was more than one way into the realm

She shattered it, but in this game there are chunks of the mirror left around near the area for some reason. So that's leading me to believe this isn't the actual mirror of twilight.

Just now, KHCast said:

She shattered it, but in this game there are chunks of the mirror left around near the area for some reason. So that's leading me to believe this isn't the actual mirror of twilight.

well atm im hunting the dessert for random things. Hopefully ill find stuff besides these giant blind sand pig sharks

12 hours ago, KHCast said:

Its not (there's just a similar looking object), but it doesn't matter if it is. This game directly references events from multiple timelines anyway.

k, so, according to the internet, the Yiga Clan Hideout is the worst part of the game for reasons I don't understand. From what I can tell... hardly anyone realised how easy it is to distract the guards with Mighty Bananas, and then you 1HKO them when their backs are turned with a sneakstrike. And the only reason you don't get revived by fairies or Mipha's Grace and can't save is because the entire point of the stealth section is that you get through it undetected. I just don't get the hate. Honestly, the hardest thing for me was finding the damn place. Before I got as far as starting the mission, I'd already found the exit of the hideout and had marked it on my map for later. Didn't have a clue where the entrance was though, and I assumed the exit was the entrance and so spent ages trying to get in that way. 

I was starting to get annoyed at it because I hate stealth sections, but once I figured out a good strategy, it's trivially easy. Plus you get a shitton of bananas from it, and from bananas you get x3 attack buff food, which is great.

I think there's a fair argument to make that the instant-death swordsmen break the game's rules and go against its spirit of letting you do things your own way, but I think it's a pretty minor complaint considering you still technically can fight your way through and you have plenty of freedom in how you choose to sneak past them.

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I was starting to get annoyed at it because I hate stealth sections, but once I figured out a good strategy, it's trivially easy. Plus you get a shitton of bananas from it, and from bananas you get x3 attack buff food, which is great.

I think there's a fair argument to make that the instant-death swordsmen break the game's rules and go against its spirit of letting you do things your own way, but I think it's a pretty minor complaint considering you still technically can fight your way through and you have plenty of freedom in how you choose to sneak past them.

I suppose the insta-death swordsmen were a bit sloppy, because it seem as though surviving getting caught wasn't relatively impossible. They should have either chucked you out of the hideout, and given you a game over in a cutscene instead. I expect many people kept trying to fight their way through it, because the game kind of gave you the impression that that was an option. Like I said before, you can fight your way through it really easily, but only if they don't ever see you. 

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I suppose the insta-death swordsmen were a bit sloppy, because it seem as though surviving getting caught wasn't relatively impossible. They should have either chucked you out of the hideout, and given you a game over in a cutscene instead.

I don't think that would've felt any better; the Yiga clan's goal is to kill you so just kicking you out doesn't make sense, and getting an instant failure state for being spotted in a stealth section is always annoying anyway.

9 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I expect many people kept trying to fight their way through it, because the game kind of gave you the impression that that was an option. Like I said before, you can fight your way through it really easily, but only if they don't ever see you. 

It is an option, though; I've heard of people fighting their way through with multishot bows and bomb or ancient arrows. Obviously it's not easy, but if they're going to allow that as an option, they should've played fair with it instead of making the swordsmen one-shot you here and only here.

• Thumbs Up 1

That section got my anxiety soaring because they're very alert to noises and glimpses of you sneaking that they leave their post to come and investigate, which is like shitting bricks levels of scary as you SLOWLY try to crouch sneak out of view lmao. The mighty bananas was a neat goofy trick to distract them though, was quite a nice little stealth segment and I mean, 50+ bananas? Sold.

I actually sneaked all the way through without killing a single guard, lots of hair raising moments for sure but never got seen/caught.

My only complaint with the Yiga Hideout was that they didn't put in an autosave after the first of the two sections.  Would have eased initial frustration significantly.

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed it, it was kind of nice to actually have a closed in section that wasn't a dungeon that had unusual rules etc.

There is something to be said of disallowing freedom but I think there is plenty of freedom in HOW you sneak past them.  There are plenty of segments in the main quest where your freedom is more limited in how you go about something - boarding the divine beasts is an example.

Plus honestly the sound design when they're chasing the bananas is just one of those utterly classic charming moments you'd never get out of a more serious open world game like Skyrim.  So very VERY Zelda.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly it's like gamers can not take even a hint of difficulty in their games and want on track games as easy as can be like nioh adding a pause button. The game even told you flat out they really really like bananas.  I only got spotted once in second half because I didn't see a guard behind a block besides that it was easy and literally took what about 12 minutes at best to get through.  thanks metal gear solid years haha

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Meta77 said:

Honestly it's like gamers can not take even a hint of difficulty in their games and want on track games as easybas can be like nioh adding a pause button. The game even told you flat out they really really like bananas.  I only got spotted once in second half because I didn't see a guard behind a block besides that it was easy and literally took what about 12 minutes at best to get through.  thanks metal gear solid years haha

Tbh, I got frustrating after being caught a few times. I liked the section, but it was a little annoying to deal with. The couple times through I loved it.

At first, I felt like bananas was just cheesing it. Until I realize how smart they actually are. Yeah, they leave their post to go grab bananas... but they look around before picking them up. They can catch you even out of the corner of their eye. And that second section is so big and open and there's multiple guys in the same area, it can get really tricky luring them away.

The hardest one I found, and who I never managed to kill without getting caught, is the one just to the right of the central stand (as you walk in). If you carefully aim a banana toss he'll go through the two sets of crates (where one guy was walking back and forth at). However, I could never approach him there, he always caught me, and I failed to throw bananas and catch him from behind as well.

Ultimately, I took out the three moving guys with stealth, and the last two I ended up alerting (trying to kill the one next to the central tower) and I managed to beat them with arrows.

I like the challenge, though. I'm glad they didn't make it easy. I'm also glad they made these guys incredibly smart compared to stealth sections in past Zelda's.

I actually had no idea you could kill the guards with a single sneak attack as I never even tried. I did get a little annoyed at how far back you're dumped after you die, but otherwise I kinda enjoyed the stealth section. Plus you get a legit good boss fight at the end, so that made it worth it for me.

I normally hate these sorts of out of nowhere, unfitting stealth sections in games but for some reason it's never really gotten on my nerves in Zelda. I think it helps that they usually include some kind of actual stealth mechanic, like the barrels in Wind Waker or the noise meter in here.

2 hours ago, JaidynReiman said:

Tbh, I got frustrating after being caught a few times. I liked the section, but it was a little annoying to deal with. The couple times through I loved it.

At first, I felt like bananas was just cheesing it. Until I realize how smart they actually are. Yeah, they leave their post to go grab bananas... but they look around before picking them up. They can catch you even out of the corner of their eye. And that second section is so big and open and there's multiple guys in the same area, it can get really tricky luring them away.

The hardest one I found, and who I never managed to kill without getting caught, is the one just to the right of the central stand (as you walk in). If you carefully aim a banana toss he'll go through the two sets of crates (where one guy was walking back and forth at). However, I could never approach him there, he always caught me, and I failed to throw bananas and catch him from behind as well.

Ultimately, I took out the three moving guys with stealth, and the last two I ended up alerting (trying to kill the one next to the central tower) and I managed to beat them with arrows.

I like the challenge, though. I'm glad they didn't make it easy. I'm also glad they made these guys incredibly smart compared to stealth sections in past Zelda's.

I never tossed them. I figured letting them metal gear style "see" you with the question mark icon was the best cause they would check it out then when they walked back I'd one shot them with a sneak. Yea they are hard to kill but sneaking was not that hard. Shadow Moses  was much harder lol. Annoying is running after a dragon you know deep down your to far from

Least i got my house  :)

My main tactic with the stealth section was that I would always drop a whole set of 5 bananas at once, usually at a spot that made them visible for two seperate guard patrols.  I generally found while they were doing their animation of looking around and picking up the banana, their range of vision becomes generously small, and it was pretty easy for me to sail past them to a new vantage point.  Extending that so two guards are (at least attempting) to do that 3 times in a row with a pile of 5 bananas helped a lot.  I was even able to collect all the optional gemstones on that one's patrol route.

I would set 1 banana down.  than I'd trigger their I think under something animations and as their walking towards it sneak behind and 1 hit them. If they were at a odd angle I'd wait till they got their banana and turned around to walk back and sneak and hot but had to be fast. They are fast walkers

I just started a new file last night. I'm attempting to do it with as little armour or health and stamina upgrades as possible. It's instantly become so much more difficult again, and it still doesn't feel cheap. By the time I'd gotten so far thorough before, stealth became something of a non-issue. Now though, it's absolutely essential and I love it. 

Currently heading to the the Yiga Clan Hideout to see how it fares...

EDIT: Hmm. The hideout is closed off until you start the mission from Gerudo town. 

I do think for my next playthrough I want to try and do as much out of order as I can - head to the Divine Beasts and get them all done before meeting Impa for the first time - Purah/Hateno too, etc.  I'll probably save that for Hard Mode though - I'm STILL working my way through getting all the Shrines.  I've got about 6 left I think, have leads on about 2 or 3.  Along the way though I've also been trying to just sort of give every location a "general explore".  Every time I set my sights on a new place I scan around that location and try to recall if I've been to any points of interest I can see, generally using named locations on the map as a starting point, then looking around for other spots with unusual geometry that might be hiding something.  Generally speaking, zooming in and examining whether I've found any Korok Seeds in a place is my usual way of telling whether I've given that general vicinity a once-over for curiosity-piquing spots in person yet.  I've no plans to try and find all 900 of those buggers mind you, but I'd like to feel I've seen the entire world.to some degree.

Still, consistently, nearly 100 hours in now, I will often be astonished at how much this game can drain your time.  I went from "let's explore Tabantha canyon from start to finish on horseback, that won't take too long".  It didn't (though I did warp out halfway through as night fell to check whether there was a Blood Moon - and went to do the Blood Moon-related shrine because it was).  But then I was like "oh, first time I went into the Forgotten Temple, I just paraglided to the end dodging the guardians, I can totally take them all on now!"  I could and it was fun, though no new discoveries made.  "Oh I haven't checked the top of the Forgotten Temple though".  I did, surprisingly little to find other than a single well-tucked away Korok (as far as I could see).  I check the map.  "Oh up there is a road between Snowfield Stable and the stable up near the Forgotten Temple, I've never actually travelled that road, let's do that and then quit."  I warp up to the Snowfield Temple, and start heading down, but there's a gap in the mountains.  "Oh, I never explored the mountaside on the cusp of Hebra, between here and the Labyrinth".  I do so.  "And I've never been to the peak of the mountain on the right here", I do so.  "Actually I've never explored the outer edge of Hyrule between here and the great Eldin Skeleton".  I do so, and the path splits in two.  I take the inland route first, which takes me to the entrance of the pitch black ruins.  Already done those so I turn back around, but interesting to learn the "intended" entrance.  I head back down the other way, killing a Lynel.  I remember I ran from a Lynel at the back of Death Mountain near the great skeleton, the first time I came from Allaka direction, was it that one?  The skeleton is nowhere near so I guess not - I press on.  Again an opportunity to head inland, to a BIG moblin outpost this time.  I have a grand ol' time wrecking their shit.  I can see some ruins from here, but there's a shooting star back the way I came!  I try to get over there but fail before it disappears.  I warp into Death Mountain to shortcut myself back to where I was exploring and check out the ruins, which contain a Korok shooting gallery.  After that I see one way is to the pitch black ruins and the other to a part of Death Mountain I remember exploring, so I head back to the outskirts and find that Lynel I ran away from first time to settle the score.  Okay, that's everything right?  I've reached familiar ground again!  But wait... since I'm here... I could just quickly explore the outpost surrounding the Lost Woods tower, I kind of cheesed that the first time and just flew to the highest point of the tower I could.  Oh god I've been playing for a whole extra hour.  I save and quit here.

Remember when the plan was "explore Tabantha canyon and then check out the road between Snowfield stable and the Forgotten Temple stable", the latter of which I still didn't do and won't even be immediately doing on my next session due to deciding on a new goal before quitting?

This game.

• Thumbs Up 2

It really bloody is an open world like no other. And considering how devoid it is of settlements and inhabitants, it really is something special. 

EDIT: In my own world, out-of-order exploits so far, I've found that Purah has no interest in helping you before you meet Impa, which of course means no camera and no memories. Prince Sidon also greets you differently if you enter Zora's domain without meeting him at the bottom of the river first. You get a whole cutscene that you wouldn't otherwise see. Not that it's anything special, but it's still so nice that it exists. 

I already mentioned this, but you can't enter the Yiga Clan Hideout without speaking with Riju first. There's a stone wall blocking the way. A bit of a shame that you can't just show up to Gerudo Town with it and gain their respect that way.

Next on my list is the Master Sword, which means I've got to get a load of hearts as I'm still only on three. I'll just get the sword, then trade my the containers back in with that statue in Hateno. I've already taken down Medoh's cannons and got Riju waiting to help me take on Nabooris. Not been to the Goron City yet. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Love how the game heavily implies Fi is alive and talking to Zelda. I could just hear the collective groaning from fans when her theme slightly started to play haha. Kinda wish we saw her in the flesh vs just implied and referenced. She's honestly the only character that could theoretically show up throughout the franchise without reincarnating.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty strongly implied with the way that the Master Sword glows and makes Fi's signature chime when it "speaks" Zelda. I actually liked Fi, so it's cool that she still exists. SS and BotW do much more than the other games in feeling like they want to establish a story rather than a story for each game's sake. 

• Thumbs Up 2