Awoo.

| SPOILER THREAD | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nepenthe

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

It's pretty strongly implied with the way that the Master Sword and makes Fi's signature chime when it "speaks" Zelda. I actually liked Fi, so it's cool that she still exists. SS and BotW do much more than the other games in feeling like they want to establish a story rather than a story for each game's sake. 

Well if we don't include the Toon games, but even then,there isn't anything as big as what Botw and SS have been attempting. They don't feel as much worldbuilding and lore centric as those.

i also just realized there are 3 different Fi's now since there are 3 timelines lol

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Well if we don't include the Toon games, but even then,there isn't anything as big as what Botw and SS have been attempting. They don't feel as much worldbuilding and lore centric as those.

Exactly. Nintendo finally clocked on to how much the fans will clamour to know more about the lore and timeline. That's why we got the Hyrule Historia and why Skyward Sword was chronologically the first game in the series, explaining things that had never really been alluded to before, like the Master Sword's origins and the design of the Hylian Shield/Royal Family Crest. 

EDIT: So the latest in my naked run through Hyrule... I thought I cheesed my way through a bit of the game the first run through, but I'm only now discovering what a game breaker Revali's Gale is. Puzzles to solve in Nabooris? Nah bro. Just jump over it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well, just beat the game. Managed to get all the memories. Got a hint on one, but did the rest myself. I literally walked over the forest one, and I missed the stable till I re-explored for it. Went Zora, Rito, Goron, then Gerudo. got the master sword in the middle, took quite a bit though. Needless to say I don't have all the shrines or Korok seeds, but I did find all 5 springs. boy the horse god is crrreeeeppppyyyy. Personally, along with hearkening back to the original game in exploration, I really love that the game had you work for the story. In many ways the world feels fleshed out in a  way none of the other games other than Skyward Sword have, but in a much better manner.

This being at the end of the timeline makes for an interesting starting point. Personally curious about what the story DLC will cover. Will it be related to the rebuilding of Hyrule and finding the reason behind the silence of the Master Sword? or a prequel setup. Mind you it's all topping on top of everything else. I still have tons to find, and the game is so rich in content that I'll be playing for fun for months.maybe I'll find all the dungeons by the time the DLC drops. Also this game can already be super hard at points, the new Hard mode is going to amp things up to eleven.

9 hours ago, KHCast said:

Love how the game heavily implies Fi is alive and talking to Zelda. I could just hear the collective groaning from fans when her theme slightly started to play haha. Kinda wish we saw her in the flesh vs just implied and referenced. She's honestly the only character that could theoretically show up throughout the franchise without reincarnating.

As someone who really didn't care about Fi as a character whatsoever, I can safely say no groaning happened here.  Bringing her back in a way where she doesn't actually talk frankly feels like compensation on Nintendo's part for what they put me through in Skyward Sword.

Also her theme song was the best thing about her so I am so incredibly game for that becoming a permanent lemotif for scenes that focus on the Master Sword's mystical nature in future games.

This is minor but was anyone else utterly disappointed with the credits theme just being a medley of the existing game themes (not even rearranged for the credits or anything) and the visuals being a dull slide show? 

Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask had long moving beautiful musical pieces coupled with great "where are they now" segments so seeing BOTW take the lazy way out was disappointing. Even Wind Waker which had terrible credits visually still  saved itself with its fantastic music 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Soniman said:

This is minor but was anyone else utterly disappointed with the credits theme just being a medley of the existing game themes (not even rearranged for the credits or anything) and the visuals being a dull slide show? 

Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask had long moving beautiful musical pieces coupled with great "where are they now" segments so seeing BOTW take the lazy way out was disappointing. Even Wind Waker which had terrible credits visually still  saved itself with its fantastic music 

Extremely disappointed, this game deserved so much better and has such a rich, vibrant world.  A montage of sceneries and locations would've been fine but an OoT/MM/TP "where are they now" montage of scenes with NPCs living their lives would have been ideal - they could have even made it like MM where it only shows scenes for characters whom you helped.

Starting the credits with the boring-ass Kakariko Village theme was so bizarre and such a downer.

If space on the disc/time to animate cut-scenes was an issue, even just a realtime flyover of various places in Hyrule (moving around at whatever speed the game can load everything in using regular gameplay loading systems), would've been fine too.

• Thumbs Up 2

Reading guides and watching videos, it appears that the Yiga Clan Hideout wasn't the only place that confused players. From the looks of it, the secret to the Lost Woods went way over people's heads too. The guides that people have made give directions using trees as landmarks, or tell you to simply watch the fog and go turn quickly around if it starts to get thick. It looks like a relatively small number of people actually paid any attention to the winds there, despite the torches making it really obvious. I only got booted out once, and that's before I even knew that  was entering the Lost Woods. I just saw a foggy area from the to of the nearby tower and glided down to it, which got me kicked out. 

unknown.png

I thought this game wasn't consistent with the others geographically but it seems a lot of stuff fits together better than you'd think. It's not perfect tho

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Reading guides and watching videos, it appears that the Yiga Clan Hideout wasn't the only place that confused players. From the looks of it, the secret to the Lost Woods went way over people's heads too. The guides that people have made give directions using trees as landmarks, or tell you to simply watch the fog and go turn quickly around if it starts to get thick. It looks like a relatively small number of people actually paid any attention to the winds there, despite the torches making it really obvious. I only got booted out once, and that's before I even knew that  was entering the Lost Woods. I just saw a foggy area from the to of the nearby tower and glided down to it, which got me kicked out. 

To be honest I love this though.  The Lost Woods is pretty trivially easy once you know the secret, so brute forcing it with other methods leads to a more memorable experience I think.  My method was to leave myself a breadcrumb trail on the map using stamps.  I'm glad they kept the hints on how to get through REALLY vague.

The only thing I'd LOVE in a future game is a Lost Woods that you can LITERALLY get lost in rather than the same "stay on the path" puzzle that Zelda has used numerous times.  I'm talking using invisible warp triggers and/or world portals to move the player around the forest without them even realising - most obviously when you reach the approach the edge of the forest, but also perhaps in other small disorientating ways - for example maybe going through a small hollowed out tree tunnel makes you exit a completely different one facing a different direction elsewhere in the forest.  Include familiar landmarks for that blair witch effect where you find yourself going past the same scenery again and again despite trying your best to steer away from them.  Make it so literally, if you get lost, quick travelling is the only way to reasonably escape.

My only other disappointment was that the Lost Woods looked so creepy and intimidating from the outside before I knew what they were.  The rock patterns on the border are almost skeletal in aesthetic, and when it kicked me out with a creepy laugh as I try to flew in, I was like "oh god what IS this place", was the first part of the game that seemed genuinely scary.  Once I got in and it revealed itself to be The Lost Woods though, it was easy to figure out what was going to be in the centre and it did lose some of it's scariness.  Would've been neat to just title it with "?????" first time you arrive or something, with it only becoming apparent that it's the Lost Woods once you reach the middle.

• Thumbs Up 6

Totally agree with the lot if what you said. I just wish I did get lost though. Literally the first thing I noticed in there was that the first fire you saw was pointing to the next, and so on. So when they then handed you a torch and the fires suddenly stopped... Yeah, it was obvious to me. Fun though. I actually felt really good for figuring it out on my first go. Especially since I didn't even consider that this game might have a Lost Woods (even though it should have been blindingly obvious).

The Typhlo Ruins can fuck right off though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally I find the Lost Woods annoying enough already. If everything needed to be literal, the Master Sword wouldn't lose its energy nor would it be a pretty mediocre weapon even at its most powerful, but then nobody woulre really use any other weapons after you get it, defeating the point of the durability system. :V

Right now I have less than 100 Koroks left to go and my map has about 91% completion. I'm at the tail-end of this game and all I have left to do are Koroks, Boss battles, finding locations, and getting/upgrading gear and some key items (like the boss medals). It's been a blast, though there has of course been some monotony with the grindign for stuff that I've been having to do.

Star fragments, Lynel stuff, and the Dragon pieces are going to be the worst part of upgrading all the gear to max.

Edited by Shade Vortex
typo lol

See, the Lost Woods actually really annoyed me. I stumbled upon them by chance and interpreted the teleport as the game telling me to come back later to get the Master Sword when the story had progressed a bit more, so I left. When I ended up face to face with Calamity Ganon I was incredibly confused at what was going on with the sword, so I left the fight and had to look it all up online. Kinda ruined those parts of the game for me to be honest.

Why on Earth everything with the Master Sword and Great Deku Tree aren't part of the main game I will never know, so much great content potentially wasted if the player misses it during their play through.

30 minutes ago, Gatestormer said:

Why on Earth everything with the Master Sword and Great Deku Tree aren't part of the main game I will never know, so much great content potentially wasted if the player misses it during their play through.

Well that's the fun of it, though, that there is this big important thing that you're never forced to get, that's only ever hinted at, that you can just stumble your way into even.

Also magic forest mazes have been a Zelda thing since the original, I'm not sure why you'd assume it was plot locked in a game as open as this.

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Well that's the fun of it, though, that there is this big important thing that you're never forced to get, that's only ever hinted at, that you can just stumble your way into even.

Also magic forest mazes have been a Zelda thing since the original, I'm not sure why you'd assume it was plot locked in a game as open as this.

Well, I still consider myself relatively new to Zelda, my only previous experience of completing one of the games was Wind Waker, and beyond that I've played Twilight Princess and currently working through Ocarina of Time right now. 

I think I was fooled after seeing the trailers for the game showing the sword in the stone and all the cutscenes, that these were part of the main storyline. At that point in BotW for me, I had been handling all the Divine Beasts first and had just finished the last one. I hadn't been bothering with the memory flashbacks yet so hadn't seen the cutscenes in context.

Up until this point I had felt the game was guiding me through it too, telling me to finish the 4 shrines before I can leave the Plateau, telling me to handle each Beast before I fight Ganon. That kind of direction on top of characters outright teasing the sword to me throughout the game, I had no reason to believe the game wouldn't direct me to it later on. 

EDIT: Also, The Master Sword is the sword that seals the darkness, the only blade that can kill Ganon? That's another reason why I expecting to need it. 

Well... If you were going after the beasts, all of the village leaders like mention that you don't have the legendary sword when you first meet them. And then upon defeating the respective beasts, they tell you that it's supposedly hidden in a forest somewhere. Impa talks about it too.

The game is all about hints and nudging you along, but rarely gives you specific tasks to accomplish. I'm surprised that you didn't see the massive pink tree and try to find it, because it's visible from all over the map, especially Death Mountain and the Woodland tower that's practically next-door. And there's an NPC at the Woodland Stable who gives you directions to the woods, along with a very blatant hint at how to get through it (it's literally written out in red text). Plus there's Hestu who tells you he's trying to get back home, that "home" is the forest just north of Hyrule Castle and asks you to visit him with the incentive that you have to do so in order to upgrade your inventory further...

I dunno. I'm more familiar with Zelda than you are, and in the other games the Master Sword is a required item. But the only reason you wouldn't find out about the Master Sword or the forest at least is that you don't find/acknowledge the hints and don't explore enough. It's a huge map. There're bound to be bits that your don't discover on your first play. 

The game never really tells you what to do though. You have to complete the tutorial, which on itself is very open ended. I completed it one way, tearing through every nook and cranny of the Plateau, learning how to cook and various other mechanics. I watched a friend play it for the guest time this week, he did everything totally differently to me. Following the tutorial, you're told that you can go to Kakariko, and by following that path you'll end up in Hateno wherein the game becomes obviously open-ended. Your quest list will show at least three different main quests that are all active (Free the Divine Beasts, Defeat Ganon and Locked Memories). Sticking to just one task is unnecessarily limiting. You have every tool to do whatever you want and however you want to do it and is constantly telling you to do so. The Sword isn't even necessary, nor is it a game breaker. It greatly helps against Guardians, but no more so than the guardian weapons got can farm from combat shrines or the ancient weapons and armour that you can buy.

It's just story content at the end of the day, and like the rest, you have to seek it out. 

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Well... If you were going after the beasts, all of the village leaders like mention that you don't have the legendary sword when you first meet them. And then upon defeating the respective beasts, they tell you that it's supposedly hidden in a forest somewhere. Impa talks about it too.

Well this is it, I thought these were all hints and teases at what was to come, not direct instructions if you know what I mean. Naturally I went Plataeu > Kakariko > Hateno, and from there had been following the Divine Beasts quest pretty closely, essentially just going directly between each respective town I needed to visit. I also went Zora > Gerudo > Rito > Goron. 

I did stumble upon the giant pink tree eventually, and I had heard from various NPCs the sword was hidden in the north so I figured that's where it was. I first tried to glide over to it from the west side and of course found myself getting teleported out, same thing happened at the main entrance so I figured I wasn't supposed to be there yet and left. I never encountered the NPC at the Woodlands Stable so I had no hints or whatever on how it to get through. I don't think how I progressed through the game is really at fault. 

This is not to say I haven't greatly enjoyed the game and overall, I think it's fantastic. But I did end up facing Calamity Ganon for the first time really confused, as a result of misinterpreting in-game hints and trailers of what I thought was essential content, and I felt that spoiled the Calamity Ganon moment for me. 

I think I would have rather seen something happen like for example, maybe you turn up to the castle entrance for the first time and Ganon puts a forcefield around it. To break through the forcefield you need to strike it with the Master Sword, and at that point Zelda tells you to go find it and you get a new quest. I don't think something like that would have damaged the open world design of the game. 

5 minutes ago, Gatestormer said:

I think I would have rather seen something happen like for example, maybe you turn up to the castle entrance for the first time and Ganon puts a forcefield around it. To break through the forcefield you need to strike it with the Master Sword, and at that point Zelda tells you to go find it and you get a new quest. I don't think something like that would have damaged the open world design of the game. 

It honestly would, though? Like, people are already doing speedruns where they go straight from the plateau to ganon, or just sneaking in to loot powerful gear ahead of time. It'd be a real buzzkill to psyche yourself up for it, rush past a bunch of guardians, and then get plot locked just outside the gates, especially considering how open the rest of the game is.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Diogenes said:

It honestly would, though? Like, people are already doing speedruns where they go straight from the plateau to ganon, or just sneaking to loot powerful gear ahead of time. It'd be a real buzzkill to psyche yourself up for it, rush past a bunch of guardians, and then get plot locked just outside the gates, especially considering how open the rest of the game is.

Yeah, this is a valid point. Maybe something not so restrictive then, say when you've completed the Divine Beast quest, maybe then Zelda would talk to you and give you a new quest to go find the sword, advising you to have it before you face Ganon. Or hell make Impa give you a quest for it when you return to her after the Divine Beasts.

I dunno, I'm spitballing - I think I would have just liked to have seen a more guaranteed encounter with it.

For what purpose though? It's all part of the mystery of the world. I could appreciate a quest given to find it, say, after defeating all the Divine Beasts. But I'm not convinced it would have necessarily been a good thing. As said, it's not essential. Some things are better left alluded too. It's a big reward to find it, and then return later with me hearts of you find it that you're not strong enough. And if you go about getting all the memories, you're shown where it is. They're a main quest too.

As for not being able to make your way through the woods... I dunno. The torches make it so obvious that there's a path to find some how. You came in from the side and got booted. You went in the entrance and eventually got booted. Even if you didn't solve the puzzle where the wind shows you the way, I just think so clear that there is a way through. The game virtually never says "you can't go here yet".

Finding the Lost Woods after spending hours looking for it by noticing the pink leaves and realizing the wind was guiding me through lost woods were two of the most satisfying "OOOOOOOOOOOH" moments I had in the game and I wouldn't change anything about how they went about them. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it is in the nature of the game that certain things will just get missed and lead to a less satisfactory experience for some players - for me personally it was the final few shrines I was missing, and the fact that I had two shrine quests which remained uncompleted because I had found the shrines of my own accord without talking to the related NPC who gives you a hint towards them.  Meanwhile the shrines I WAS missing had no hints towards them and were both hidden so didn't react to the Shiekah Sensor.  When I found out what they were I had no regrets about using a guide - I'd have never have found them otherwise as they were both in areas I considered to have been "checked".

I AM surprised that Impa outright tells you to go and beat Ganon after doing the four divine beasts though, rather than make any mention of the fact that you don't have the Master Sword.  I feel if anyone should weigh in and mention for the nth time that you don't have it, it'd be her.

But it is just an unfortunate trade-off to defying series conventions in such a big way.  While obviously the dungeons themselves are already not mandatory tasks, they decided to make the Master Sword even less of a mandatory one here even though it is categorised as a "Main" Quest.  The only thing that tripped up Gatestormer's experience here was expecations from past games, something that was out of the developers' hands when they made this design decision.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh right, yes I used a guide for the final few shrines as well. I'd completed all of the shrine quest shrines without triggering the quests, and the remaining two or three were hidden and would have remained as such if not for a guide or sheer luck by the end of it. I think the game could have automatically checked off shrine quests, and maybe helped a wee bit more when you had the vast majority of shrines uncovered. I felt a bit in the dark about that. With no clues, and such a huge map, it was exactly like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm still on the hunt for the remaining Taluses and Hinoxes for the medals though.

The Korok Seeds are fine though. They're in such crazy abundance and you need just under half of them to unlock your full inventory. The game actively doesn't want you to waste your time finding all of them, and offers you nothing but bragging rights for doing so. 

33 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Oh right, yes I used a guide for the final few shrines as well. I'd completed all of the shrine quest shrines without triggering the quests, and the remaining two or three were hidden and would have remained as such if not for a guide or sheer luck by the end of it. I think the game could have automatically checked off shrine quests, and maybe helped a wee bit more when you had the vast majority of shrines uncovered. I felt a bit in the dark about that. With no clues, and such a huge map, it was exactly like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'm still on the hunt for the remaining Taluses and Hinoxes for the medals though.

The Korok Seeds are fine though. They're in such crazy abundance and you need just under half of them to unlock your full inventory. The game actively doesn't want you to waste your time finding all of them, and offers you nothing but bragging rights for doing so. 

and actively mocks you

A golden poo is apparently a symbol of luck in Japan (there's a pun involved), so it's not really mockery, just sort of jokey.