Awoo.

| SPOILER THREAD | The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nepenthe

The most impressive thing about BotW is perhaps just how broken it isn't. I've played dozens of games that give you nowhere near the freedom that this game does with its physics and progression, but they still fall apart relatively easily if you just start pushing. 

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

The most impressive thing about BotW is perhaps just how broken it isn't. I've played dozens of games that give you nowhere near the freedom that this game does with its physics and progression, but they still fall apart relatively easily if you just start pushing. 

Definitely. Actually, in an interview, the game's director revealed that when doing bug testing, they would send out "bots" of Link into the world, and would record bugs as the bots did stuff. It's actually pretty genius.

On 4/15/2017 at 1:59 PM, Blue Blood said:

Being as open as it is probably helped, to some extent. It's hard to break sequence when there's very little sequence to start with.

• 4 weeks later...

My little brother and I were playing a week or so ago. He was on the Wii U, I was on the Switch. We both decided to explore Hyrule Castle since I had never done that in my Wii U playthrough. I was amazed at how much there was that I just skipped over since I wanted to beat the game. Like, he and I both went in different directions, and we found all sorts of stuff and told each other where they were.

He was pretty behind I think. IIRC he either had only 2 or 3 Divine Beasts freed. But he actually managed to do pretty well and avoid dying for the most part (I think he may have stayed alive the whole time). He actually discovered the room with the Hylian Shield before I did (I somehow went right past it). I killed the Stalnox first and he was very excited when he saw me get the shield.

I found the diary of Zelda too, and it cleared a ton of stuff up. It was super sad too, and it made me wish even more that Link showed at least a little emotion... That's still my only major complaint, I think. I know they explain why, but he can be so snarky during everything that isn't related to the main quest.

Anyways. My brother also beat the final boss all on his own. He did not free the lava Divine Beast, so he had to fight Fireblight Ganon, but he did have the Master Sword already. He ended up beating it and Ganon without dying. Not bad for a 12 year old, eh?

This game is just so amazing. All the exploration you can do, all the well written characters, the great music... It's going to be very difficult going back to any of the previous Zelda games.

EDIT: Should clarify that the great music isn't a factor in making going back to older Zeldas a problem, whoops.

• Thumbs Up 2

As far as going back to old Zelda games goes, I hope that they continue to make 2D Zelda's that are more or less traditional, taking cues from both the older games, ALBW and BotW. 3D game have absolutely got to build off of BotW directly though. I can't wait to see how they top it. It's quite easily of the greatest games that I've ever played.

The other day I was talking to @Indigo Rush about ways to improve BotW. We both had similar ideas about enemy variety, cave/dungeons/interior areas and populating the world, but those are only ways to improve BotW as an individual game not build on or expand the formula. I fully expect Aonuma and everyone else at Nintendo to go much further, because they never settle for the obvious and safe. And just remarking on the game itself, it's already so good that any improvements wouldn't make it any better. Like, the package is already so complete and wonderful in every area. It's as close to perfect as anything needs to be.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, KHCast said:

So does beating calamity Ganon without doing any of the story quests effect the ending at all?

You don't get the post-credits scene unless you've completed all four main quest objectives, I think that's all there is to it.

It's a shame, I feel minimum% runners should be given just a small little nod to their unorthodox playstyle in the ending that only occurs if you did absolutely nothing but fight Ganon.