Awoo.

Riverdale (The CW) - Archie's got a weird mystery on his hands...(Warning: Potential Unmarked Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

riverdale.jpg

Riverdale is the brand new CW series that's based on the Archie comics, taking the characters and taking a far more dramatic, and darker direction with them, placing the group in a town filled with mystery, secrets, and with the recent death of Jason Blossom, murder. The show is a murder mystery where there's an underlying conspiracy regarding a lot of the main families of the show, specifically The Coopers, and The Blossoms. With the show receiving an Season renewal for a second season before we're already half way through the current season, I thought it was time we got a topic going for this show. Before we continue however, I think I need to make something clear.

Do not use this topic as an excuse to complain about Archie Sonic. There's yet to be any definitive proof that Riverdale is why Archie Sonic is going through trouble right now, and there's no need for this topic to get bogged down with that.

But anyway, in terms of my own personal thoughts on the show, I'm really enjoying it so far. Admittedly, I wasn't excited because I thought anything that wasn't Archie Horror was going to be a pretty hard sell, especially since Riverdale is much closer to the standard Archie canon, rather than Afterlife. However, with a lot of the new twists it did with the characters, but still keeping in some comedy, having genuine mystery, and actually decent drama, I actually am really enjoying it thus far. The show is currently on Episode 7 and already we've got a huge ton of different twists and turns, even if there is a lot of downsides to the show as well (Betty's mother, Cheryl, The Blossoms as a whole, some other characters that have been completely flanderized compared to the comics). Overall though, I think the show is incredibly well done, and I hope they continue with the same quality they've been displaying. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Was considering starting a Riverdale topic myself for a while, so thanks for taking care of it :P

Anyway, I'm also enjoying the show. I love the twists they're taking from mainline Archie, my honest favourite has gotta be

Miss Grundy not really being Miss Grundy.

In terms of characters, I absolutely love the shows version of Betty: smart and sensible but with a bit of a badass streak.

I've also warmed up to Cole Sprouse as Jughead, who strikes me as an L-type (he even sits like him in one episode lol)

Unfortunately, the changes in characterisation has brought out a few duds too, like Betty's parents being a couple of psychos, Chuck Clayton being completely twisted into a slut-shaming monster, and Kevin Keller being reduced to the token gay.

Overall, the show has a great style, and a storyline that's keeping me hooked.

• Thumbs Up 2

I... Don't get this at all...

The series is all about the cast going to high school isn't it with harem complications and stuff...?

Seems to me a more suitable show would be some kind of Disney Channel series.

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

I... Don't get this at all...

The series is all about the cast going to high school isn't it with harem complications and stuff...?

Seems to me a more suitable show would be some kind of Disney Channel series.

Uh, no. That has absolutely nothing to do with the premise of Riverdale.

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Uh, no. That has absolutely nothing to do with the premise of Riverdale.

I mean the Archie series in general. The comics are always about what I just said.

(Edit)

Not a big Archie fan mind you. I just browse the comics now and then but all I've ever seen is cartoon comedy with the cast dealing with high school and relationship stuff, kind of like your usual Disney Channel live action series nowadays.

I don't really see the point in making the series look like some cringe inducing goth/emo thing, what it looks like from the promotional stuff anyways.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

I mean the Archie series in general. The comics are always about what I just said.

Uh, even then it's a love triangle, and that's pretty much it. A lot of it is more comedy-based, rather than romance based, and as mentioned above, the show as a whole is widely different from the comic. It's a murder mystery with dramatic and comedic moments.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Uh, even then it's a love triangle, and that's pretty much it. A lot of it is more comedy-based, rather than romance based, and as mentioned above, the show as a whole is widely different from the comic. It's a murder mystery with dramatic and comedic moments.

...Isn't that what Scooby Doo is for...?

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

...Isn't that what Scooby Doo is for...?

How the fuck is a dark murder mystery show with dark and twisted secrets comparable to a show that has a talking dog who eats giant sandwiches? 

And before you come back with "but archie is", Archie mainline got rebooted for teens, and Afterlife with Archie is an adult series.

• Thumbs Up 1

How the fuck is a dark murder mystery show with dark and twisted secrets comparable to a show that has a talking dog who eats giant sandwiches? 

And before you come back with "but archie is", Archie mainline got rebooted for teens, and Afterlife with Archie is an adult series.

It's like I said, I'm not the most diehard fan of Archie, just know whenever I have seen Archie content it has always been a cartoon comedy revolving high school life and romance, not Shadow the Hedgehog level Scooby Doo stuff.

4 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's like I said, I'm not the most diehard fan of Archie, just know whenever I have seen Archie content it has always been a cartoon comedy revolving high school life and romance, not Shadow the Hedgehog level Scooby Doo stuff.

Yeah, except Archie's rebooted for at least a year and has been aimed for an older image. And considering the series can fit with various settings and tones, it doesn't really matter. Judging a show with a completely different take and vision on a series that doesn't even exist anymore because it's been rebooted doesn't seem fair whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, except Archie's rebooted for at least a year and has been aimed for an older image. And considering the series can fit with various settings and tones, it doesn't really matter. Judging a show with a completely different take and vision on a series that doesn't even exist anymore because it's been rebooted doesn't seem fair whatsoever.

Huh...

Now if we could just place THAT mindset in every single Sonic community we'd be in paradise again and maybe get games with more meat in it...

That side-slap aside, I can agree on that. I'm glad you're a fan of it. I just personally don't see the appeal and find it awkward.

Lol the fuck?

Anyway. This show is basically Teen Twin Peaks. Which isn't a bad thing. 

It's somewhere between a good and great show, but tends to hover near good more.

Some of the writing is a tad headscratching and some of the decisions are utterly daft, like Jughead  and Archies music teacher looked younger than he did.

Also can't decide if I like the soft focus or not.

But been watching it every week so it must be doing something I like.

• Thumbs Up 2

i'm so glad there's a thread on this show. now, i've never read the archie comics besides the sonic ones, but i do very much enjoy riverdale. i don't talk about it too often bc there's not too many episodes on it so far but, i do enjoy it very much. i love the twists and turns and jughead is my favorite so far. he's such a mysterious character. it's a very good show to me in my opinion so far. i don't usually like shows like this but i watched one episode and got hooked. (that's what happened with me with glee.. *shifty side eyes* what is happening to me).

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

This is partially in response to something stated in the TL-SC topic but I didn't want to take the thread more off-topic than it had:

If Sabrina was introduced into the show, I think it'd be interesting if, instead of a literal witch (I feel like it's a bit too out there for the universe the show is in) she was, like, a wiccan or something.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 years later...