Awoo.

I tried to make my Windows 10 looks like Windows 95, look at the result!

Solister

Important Note: I don't made anything showed in this topic, I just installed on my computer, I made a few changes and make some screenshot. For this reason, I don't know if the correct place would be Chit-Chat.

It makes a bit of time that I'm searching for some way to make my Windows 10 looks like a old Windows. Searching in many sites and compilation information, I made my own pack based on many other aside the web. So, here is the result:

D0hec5m.jpg

My Desktop. It doesn't have too much difference from Windows 95.

nGnZKnV.jpg

The Start Menu. Note that looks like a bit from each Windows System. The Start Menu style is from Windows 95/98, some icons are from Windows XP and Windows 7, and the OS name is from Windows 10.

9BGrjtZ.png

It would be cool, if our problems just stop on it. But, look what happen when I open a Windows Folder. You can't understand nothing! Some texts are hard to understand, and it seems that the folder just have one color.

jlLcdch.png

When you open a program, here I used Word, you have a similar problem than the folder. You can't understand the text, and the paper it would to be white, and not dark beige.

So, that is. I mixed up some packs to try to make a Windows 95 visual on my Windows 10. Somethings worked perfectly, others definitely not. I'll try to fix some of these problems and add some other things (Sounds and fix the icons), and may I make my own pack and share it on the web. Hope you liked and enjoyed!

• Thumbs Up 4

Impressive work, though I'd say the XP graphics make it resemble Windows 2000 (or XP using the Classic Windows skin) than it does the true Windows '95.  Just my opinion.  Very nostalgic, nonetheless. XP

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow! As someone really nostalgic for that era of computing, I love this. I'd like to try do to something like this someday. Hope you find solutions to those nasty problems you ran into!

• Thumbs Up 1

Hey can you teach me how to make my windows 10 look like this? I'd really appreciate it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Everyone is talking about the computer and I'm like "Look, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World" haha. That looks very cool. Once you finish this, you can use "the way back machine" and go to the websites from the 90's, put on some Will Smith rap and some neon clothes and really go back to the 90's.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Saturday Morning Kirb said:

Hey can you teach me how to make my windows 10 look like this? I'd really appreciate it!

No problem!

To install the theme:

1. Download this rar file from here (MediaFire).
  2. Extract it to somewhere in your computer. After, open the folder
  3. There you will find some programs installers and others things. You don't have a correct order to install it. If you fell insecure, make a Windows restore point.
  4. Start doing what you want first. In my opinion, install Classic Shell first.
  5. Open the program and there you will find some options to edit the start menu. Put the classic style and click to replace the Start Button. On the Wallpapers' folder, you will find a Win95 start menu image, just use it.
  6. To make looks like real. Go to the start menu, press right-click and goes to settings. There you will have a option to use small buttons on the Start Menu, enable it
  7. Go to the folder which start with "Windows Classic Theme", install the theme inside it.
  8. Use Ribbon Disable to have a better style
  9. If you don't have closed the Settings window, open it, If you closed, re-open it. Go to Wallpaper, and put to use an image. On Wallpapers' folder, you have an image which is an HD version of Windows 95 Wallpaper, if doesn't meet with your resolution, just do a Google Images search an you should find a cool Wallpaper for You.
  10. After selecting and applying your Wallpaper, go to Colors. Scroll down at the bottom of the page and click on High Contrast Settings. Use the Windows XP Classic. This should be a better version of the showed in the image.
  11. Back to the Windows 95 Theme folder. You will find two folders, one called Sounds, and other Windows 98 icons. Unfortunately, you will need to add this sounds and icons manually. Search on the web where you should find a better tutorial explaining how to do this.
  12. It's finished! May you want to do some minimum changes.

Uninstall

1. Fortunately, to uninstall it is very easy. If you made a recovery point, try to use it. If not, follow the next steps.
  2. On the customize screen, you possibly will have an option to back to you old theme, just click on it. If not, use the Windows 10 "generic" theme and re-customize to how like.
  3. In Classic Shell, you can only do right-click on the Start Menu (At the Win95 Icon), and click exit. But may Classic Shell start annoying you by starting with the Windows. If this happen, just Uninstall it.
  4. Back to the Start Menu Settings and disable the small icons option.
  5. Re-Open the Ribbon Disable folder and the program and make to back like Windows 10 (It would be the unique option available).
  6. Unload your sound and icon scheme if you used it.
  7. That's, you should now have your normal Windows 10.

I'll try to fix some problems and try to make a better version. Sorry if some Windows option name is wrong, I tried to translate from my Windows version (Portuguese), to English, I hope that be understandable.

35 minutes ago, The Chairman Of The Board said:

Everyone is talking about the computer and I'm like "Look, Sonic Generations and Sonic Lost World" haha. That looks very cool. Once you finish this, you can use "the way back machine" and go to the websites from the 90's, put on some Will Smith rap and some neon clothes and really go back to the 90's.

It would be cool inf my old Sonic CD for Windows 95 (DINO) works here. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 4

I installed the theme and it works perfectly! This is so awesome, thank you!

• Thumbs Up 2

UPDATES!!!!

I was researching methods to make it better, and here it is!

First all, I want to announce the Windows 98 alternative theme! it's just a few changes from 95.

Windows 98

c4eeoVC.png

Windows 10 with 98 theme. (With 2 classic Windows 95 games)

hixUeaa.png

Start Menu

ifYyIOG.png

My Computer Folder (Note that it isn't too strange like the previous version).

5QHff0J.png

Office 2016 with the theme. No problems to use it.

cnvapNd.jpg

The Windows 98 Boot Logo was turned into my lock screen. Shoted with my Cellphone, Window don't support print screen on the Lock Screen.

Windows 95

The Windows 95 background version:

Xbc7z6q.jpg

There no more changes in Windows 95 that cannot be found in the older version or some change equivalent to Windows 98 version.

An important change present on the new version, is that the 2 wallpapers have a beige line on the Wallpaper bottom, This will be useful to use transparent Start Menu, but looking like Windows 95/98!

Installation:

Looking that both themes are similar to install, I just wrote one tutorial for both themes. Pay attention to file nasm differences:

1. Download the themes from Media Fire. Windows 95; Windows 98
  2. Extract the files to a separate folder. Make a Windows Restore Point if you fell insecure.
  3. Intall Classic Shell, where can be found in the folder that you extacted the files. If Classic Shell starts annoying your life everytime you Turn On your PC, just press Ctrl + Shft + Esc to open task manager. Go to the initialize tab, and disable Classic Shell. The program will work normally everytime you open it by clicking in the icon.
  4. Open Classic Start Menu. Using Search Settings, search for Customize Taskbar.
  5. In the subsection Taskbar Lock, check the Transparent option. Also put Taskbar opacity to 0, and Taskbar color to 382000, and Taskbar text color to 000000. This will make the taskbar semi-inivisible, you will see the beneficts when finished.
  6. After that go to Start Menu Style tab and put Classic Style. In this same section change the Start Button to the 95/98 style using the custom option. The Start Button can be found in the Images Folder.
  7. Go to the start menu, press right-click and goes to settings. There you will have a option to use small buttons on the Start Menu, enable it
  8. In the Settings window, config also your Wallpaper (Found in the Images folder), and the Lock Screen if you want (Also found in the Images folder). If your resolution didn't meet this specs, try searching something related on Google Images.
  9. Go to Ribbon Disable Folder where is located on the folder you extracted the pack. Run the correct version of the app according to your Windows Version (32 or 64-bits).
  10. Almost Everything is finished. If you want to have icons and sounds like Windows 95/98, follow this step, if not and you are satisfied with the Windows 10 icons and sounds, just skip it. To chage icons, do a little search on the Start Menu search box for icons. You will find an option to customize the Desktop icons, click on it. Change the icons to the 95/98 equivalent. To the sound, press right-click on the sound button at the Start Menu and click in Sounds. There you have the possibility to make your own sound scheme, change the Windows 10 sounds to the 95/98 equivalent. The Windows 95/98 icons are found in the folder 'original_windows_95_icons_by_ipapun", and the sounds in the "Sounds" folder.
  11. That is! Now you should have an perfectly Windows 98 in you Windows 10 system!.

To Uninstall;

If you made a restore point, use it, if not, follow these steps:

1. Uninstall Classic Shell.
  2. Back to the Original size of the Start Menu, using settings. Also back to your original Wallpaper and Lock Screen.
  3. Use Ribbon Disabler to return to the original. (It would be the only option avaible).
  4. Return to the Windows Sound Scheme by the same way you changed it. And click to restore all icons on the page you edited it.
  5. That is! Now you should have your original Windows 10.

Sorry if some Windows option name is wrong, I tried to translate from my Windows version (Portuguese), to English, I hope that be understandable. If you have some trouble to install/Uninstall the new version, talk with me and I'll try to help as soon as possible. Hope you enjoy the new and (probably) the last version.

• Thumbs Up 1