Awoo.

A Certain Magical Virtual-On (Dengeki Bunko x SEGA... again!) (PS4, PSV) - 2018

Tracker_TD

C6theGPW0AAUphF.jpg

Well this came out of nowhere! 

SEGA and Dengeki have announced a new joint project; it's a crossover game between Dengeki's A Certain Magical Index and SEGA's Virtual-On series. This isn't without precedent; for the 20th Anniversary of Virtual-On there was an Index/VO crossover light novel (I'm somewhat assuming this game will be based on that), but yeah.

Trailer: 

The fact it's apparently being described as "a high-speed battle action game", plus the "MSBS 55.55" points to this actually being a new main entry in the Virtual On series, which has been dormant for like, 10 years. Just with 100% more anime

Anywho, I'm hyped to say the least. I'm not especially familiar with Index outside of its appearance in SEGA's other Dengeki collaboration, Dengeki Bunko FIGHTING CLIMAX, but a new Virtual-On game is an absolute blessing to see; after the rise of Border Break I was concerned it was pretty much doomed to wallow in that game's shadow. 

The game is due out in 2018, and it currently only confirmed for Japan. 

• Thumbs Up 2

i really liked the Railgun side series but Index is kind of garbage. That said, Virtual-On seems cool and if this game turns out to be more of that then maybe i might just be in

• Thumbs Up 2

More details from Gematsu: http://gematsu.com/2017/03/certain-magical-virtual-announced-ps4-ps-vita

The high-speed battle action that has become a staple of the Virtual-On series will be present, and Sega promises to make maximum use of the experience it gained in developing the series. The special abilities possessed by the characters of the A Certain Magical Index series will be amplified by piloting a Virtuaroid—fired as an attack from the mecha—and used as a new battle method. It is said to be “one of this game’s biggest appeals.”

Sounds like it is just a new Virtual On game. Fuck yes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On one hand I'm really NOT into Index but on the other hand I fucking love virtual-on. So I guess I'll meet this game in the middle and be somewhat excited for it! It's also nice that's it's not like... arcade only so I might be able to actually play it. 

I wonder if SEGA crossing over their awesome old franchises with anime/light novels is going to be a trend and what they finally need to get them revived. Are we going to be seeing  I Can't Believe My Little Sister is Sailing the Skies of Arcadia? No Streets, No Rage? Phantasy Star Art Online? The Devil is a Rent-A-Hero? The Irregular at Panzer Dragoon High School>?

• Thumbs Up 3

On one hand I'm really NOT into Index but on the other hand I fucking love virtual-on. So I guess I'll meet this game in the middle and be somewhat excited for it! It's also nice that's it's not like... arcade only so I might be able to actually play it. 

I wonder if SEGA crossing over their awesome old franchises with anime/light novels is going to be a trend and what they finally need to get them revived. Are we going to be seeing  I Can't Believe My Little Sister is Sailing the Skies of Arcadia? No Streets, No Rage? Phantasy Star Art Online? The Devil is a Rent-A-Hero? The Irregular at Panzer Dragoon High School>?

The real question: Where the hell is Toradora vs Sonic?

...what do you mean that makes no sense? 

Anyway, it'd be funny to see more Dengeki x SEGA crossovers. Dengeki have had plenty of them in the past (Taiga shows up in a staggering amount of RPGs for some reason), so I'd be down for it, even if I'm not hugely familiar with many of their series.