Awoo.

S3&K or SCD?

The_Soul_Gauge

You could save Sonic CD? I can't remember. It's been forever since I've played it.

In any case, I did like Sonic CD and I did play it for hours on end. But no where near as much as I played S3&K.

That game was golden. But Sonic CD would have to be a close second for me. I loved the time travelling aspects as well. I missed playing Tails in that game though, but there was a cheat where you could get an image of Tails that said "See you in the next game." And then there was the "Sonic the human" image you could find on it as well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sean

• azoo

• Tornado

• JezMM

Top Posters In This Topic

You could save Sonic CD? I can't remember. It's been forever since I've played it.

It auto-saved using the Sega CD's onboard RAM.

But here is where we hit the boiling point. The boss battles. Despite Sonic 3 having some awesome battles the technique to destroy your foe was quite similar. And this is where Sonic CD does some innovation. Every boss has a different attack method and battle setup. We had the pinball machine, Tidal Tempest's bubble boss, and Metal Sonic. All of those bosses were defeated in incredibly different ways that opened up new possibilites to view Sonic boss battles rather than just hitting Ivo in the head.

I've been thinking a while and I don't think we are giving S3&K enough credit in the boss originality. I would like to mention that not all of the Sonic 3 battles were of the "bop the boss's weak point for massive damage" variety either.

While its true that many of them were of the "normal" variety, what about the Sandopolis mid-boss, or the Death Egg Act 2 sub-boss? For that matter, how about the Flying Battery and Carnival Night midbosses, where the player had to set the boss up for damage? The shooter-esque Marble Garden boss (especially as Tails)? Heck, I played Winged Fortress before Flying Battery, so I thought the Act 2 sub-boss of the latter was a pretty nifty twist on the same idea (even if it did throw me for a while). Even the Knuckles Heavyweight Bout in Hidden Palace was pretty entertaining when I found out Knuckles could knock your ass right out of Super mode if you got complacent.

You know... you didn't have to.

I've seen people try to pull this argument before, and what I think every single one of them neglects to think about is how damned easy it is to trigger completely by accident. Any time you're plus 50 rings and minus any shields, you're just one misjudged button press away from triggering the Super form accidentally. The sad thing is that it's actually an improvement over the way you triggered it in Sonic 2.

I've seen people try to pull this argument before, and what I think every single one of them neglects to think about is how damned easy it is to trigger completely by accident. Any time you're plus 50 rings and minus any shields, you're just one misjudged button press away from triggering the Super form accidentally.

I do understand it is very easy to activate, to the extent that you would very likely activate it without meaning to. However, rings and point markers were so common in Sonic 3 that you'd rarely be forced to slog very far if you activated it by accident, with the longest you'd usually have to go was usually if activated right before or during boss battles.

Edited by Tornado

I've never accidentally activated Super Sonic, ever.

If it bothers you then don't collect the Chaos Emeralds. In fact, Sonic 3 & Knuckles provides for the player a handful of solutions to avoid Super forms, including playing as Tails or collecting all seven Chaos Emeralds, entering HPZ, and leaving - and you still get access to the good ending and Doomsday Zone (just don't collect the Super Emeralds).

S3&K basically gave the player the option to collect all Chaos Emeralds and not have Super forms. The fear of accidentally triggering Super Sonic is an incredibly moot point.

I'll concede to Tornado's point, but...

In fact, Sonic 3 & Knuckles provides for the player a handful of solutions to avoid Super forms, including playing as Tails or collecting all seven Chaos Emeralds, entering HPZ, and leaving - and you still get access to the good ending and Doomsday Zone (just don't collect the Super Emeralds).
And you're supposed to know this in advance, how? That's like saying "oh hey, you can throw away that SAW machinegun if you want but you have to spin around in a circle 3 times, drop your pants and shoot yourself in the foot". Okay, maybe not quite that extreme but you get the point - it's an unusually obscure method when you consider this could be remedied with something as simple as a bloody OFF SWITCH.

This is also disregarding the possibility that the player has already finished the game with all emeralds and wants to stage select without them. Making and completing a whole new save file shouldn't have been necessary for that.

Well then, you better start finding ways to make your fingers less twitchy so you won't accidentally trigger Super Sonic, hmm.

I figured that out on my own - like when I played S3&K for the very first time and I gained access to the Super Special Stages.

No, seriously, you are overblowing this problem - anybody can figure that method out if they have the mental capacity to put two and two together (i.e. "Oh, I gained access to more Special Stages in MHZ, but now I can't turn Super Sonic anymore. Hmm... well, my save file still thinks I have the Chaos Emeralds, so if I don't want Super Sonic, then I can just leave it at that! Simple!"). Really!

Well then, you better start finding ways to make your fingers less twitchy so you won't accidentally trigger Super Sonic, hmm.
Who said anything about twitchy fingers? The majority of the time it happens, it's when the players trying to bunnyhop. It's easier to misjudge that one pixel between you and the floor than you might think.

I figured that out on my own - like when I played S3&K for the very first time and I gained access to the Super Special Stages.
I figured out the Carnival Night Zone barrel pretty quickly too. I don't think that changes the fact that it caused problems for other people, and the logic doesn't change here either.

No, seriously, you are overblowing this problem
I'm sorry, I missed the part where I was making this out to be anything more than somewhat of a pain in the ass. If anything, you're the one making mountains out of molehills here. Christ, I can't even complain about matters of simple convenience without SRS BZNZZ interfering in some way? Edited by Blacklightning

I hate to just quote another member of the forum in a topic like this but I honestly think Ashurbanipal expressed my opinion of Sonic CD perfectly.

I've always thought Sonic CD was something of a confused mess compared to Sonic 1, 2, 3 etc. The levels are just too unnecessarily complicated to negotiate, I never felt like I was going the right way, I always felt like I was missing something.

The whole structure of the game was just.. off-putting. Sonic 3 and Knuckles definitely is the winner in my opinion.

Edited by Chooch

I'm sorry, I missed the part where I was making this out to be anything more than somewhat of a pain in the ass. If anything, you're the one making mountains out of molehills here. Christ, I can't even complain about matters of simple convenience without SRS BZNZZ interfering in some way?

You did compare my solution to shooting yourself in the foot. I provided a solution to the Super form dilemma, take it or leave it.

Now seriously, try to calm down, please. Whatever I did to provoke you wasn't intentional, and there's no need for that tone.

You also have access to not just one, but more than 8 files in S3&K. If you don't want to turn into Super Sonic, just grab another file and don't collect the Chaos Emeralds. Simple!

Edited by Emerl