Awoo.

What would it take to get a ost of sonic the hedgehog 3

Meta77

Oh all games 3 always had some amazing tracks but legal mess held it back for a long time. What would it take Sega to do to get an official release?

If Michael Jackson is truly involved and holds some kind of rights over the music, probably dark magic or Dr. Frankenstein-esque science would be necessary.

For what it's worth though, stories about composing for the game (and Jackson's frustration with the sound output) suggests that unlike Sonic 1 and 2, the music team were much closer to the process of putting the music into the game, and thus "full quality" demo versions of the tracks like Sonic 1 and 2 had may not exist.  So what would we get from this that can't already be heard in-game (and thus, in fanmade rips of the music)?

Sonic & Knuckles did get a re-arrange soundtrack though, for what it's worth.

• Thumbs Up 2

I know the biggest give away is the mid boss track. No one can say that's not Michael wooooing all over the place. Just sad as that one ost would complete my collection of old school tracks

Long explanation:

In order to get a Sonic 3 OST SEGA would need to either buy the rights to re-release the music which would be very complex and considering how many artists were involved it would cost a shit-ton of money. SEGA could buy the rights to the ost out-right which would incur an even greater expensive. Not to mention the (fanbases) interpretation that SEGA owed (maybe still owe) a lot of parties money/royalties for re-using the music in future releases (like the 97' Saturn "Sonic Jam" port) when they were not allowed to legally.

Short explanation: 

Would cost too much money.

• Thumbs Up 4

17 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Do you guys think a though I know it won't happen. A kickstart to get funds?

Well there is the Sonic 3 Remastered petition launched in 2014 (which incidentally has passed 15,000 supporters) and Sonic 3 Remastered still hasn't been released. So, I can't see a kick-starter doing much better.

Well, I think the best answer is Sonic & Knuckles Collection. The PC Collection substituted all the songs that is supposed to be composed by Michael Jackson with new songs. The substituted songs was Carnival Night, IceCap, Launch Base, Knuckles' theme, Competition menu, and the credits music.

6 minutes ago, Solister said:

Well, I think the best answer is Sonic & Knuckles Collection. The PC Collection substituted all the songs that is supposed to be composed by Michael Jackson with new songs. The substituted songs was Carnival Night, IceCap, Launch Base, Knuckles' theme, Competition menu, and the credits music.

Yes that pc version was horrible replacements:(

Just now, Meta77 said:

Yes that pc version was horrible replacements:(

Yep. But may they would try to make a clean version of that songs. A remix or something, just to look like the originals.

5 minutes ago, Solister said:

Yep. But may they would try to make a clean version of that songs. A remix or something, just to look like the originals.

Maybe. I just really want to finish my sonic ost collection. This and adventure and heroes is what I'm missing atm. Oh and unleashed

I'm not too optimistic about it. I'm actually a little curious what rights actually belong to Jackson and what are owned more by his collaborators and the other composers who worked on the soundtrack. We know Buxer composed Ice Cap Zone music thanks to the release of the previously unreleased "Hard Times" by the Jetzons. Sonic 3's ending was the basis for "Stranger in Moscow" by Michael Jackson, and Carnival Night Zone sampled a tiny piece of Jackson's "Jam," not to mention a few tracks have a clear influence by Jackson (the mini-boss theme--i.e. the best mini-boss theme).

Whatever the case is, though, it's a kind of legal mess that I think SEGA is trying to avoid and settling on emulations of the original Genesis game since I guess that keeps them legally in the clear versus a complete remaster/remake which would essentially be a new game (this is the explanation I've seen before, but I can't say I fully understand it). And they're in a tough spot with altering the music, even using the stuff they legally own like the PC songs because it will likely upset fans and harm sales (though, realistically, I would expect fan-made mod patches to be released for, say, a PC version remaster or something).

So pretty much no hope of this than oh well.

Ok let me ask what about the ova? Is that possible?

32 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I'm not too optimistic about it. I'm actually a little curious what rights actually belong to Jackson and what are owned more by his collaborators and the other composers who worked on the soundtrack. We know Buxer composed Ice Cap Zone music thanks to the release of the previously unreleased "Hard Times" by the Jetzons. Sonic 3's ending was the basis for "Stranger in Moscow" by Michael Jackson, and Carnival Night Zone sampled a tiny piece of Jackson's "Jam," not to mention a few tracks have a clear influence by Jackson (the mini-boss theme--i.e. the best mini-boss theme).

Whatever the case is, though, it's a kind of legal mess that I think SEGA is trying to avoid and settling on emulations of the original Genesis game since I guess that keeps them legally in the clear versus a complete remaster/remake which would essentially be a new game (this is the explanation I've seen before, but I can't say I fully understand it). And they're in a tough spot with altering the music, even using the stuff they legally own like the PC songs because it will likely upset fans and harm sales (though, realistically, I would expect fan-made mod patches to be released for, say, a PC version remaster or something).

Due to Lego Dimensions, I feel that even their ownership of the PC music is in question... 

1 minute ago, It's a Very Merry Miru said:

Due to Lego Dimensions, I feel that even their ownership of the PC music is in question... 

First I'd heard of that. What happened with Lego Dimensions?

14 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Ok let me ask what about the ova? Is that possible?

Couldn't say, but the second Best of Sonic collection album (True Colors, was it?) featuring "Look-A-Like" so I assume they might have access or it'd at least be easier to license. It might be too niche for them to even bother, though. It'd be cool, though.

8 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

First I'd heard of that. What happened with Lego Dimensions?

Couldn't say, but the second Best of Sonic collection album (True Colors, was it?) featuring "Look-A-Like" so I assume they might have access or it'd at least be easier to license. It might be too niche for them to even bother, though. It'd be cool, though.

Yea I have that CD but it's listed as short ver I'd live a hd version of the full song.

I'm also interested in the Lego dimensions issue?

1 hour ago, Meta77 said:

Yea I have that CD but it's listed as short ver I'd live a hd version of the full song.

I'm also interested in the Lego dimensions issue?

In Lego Dimensions, they created new tracks for the Sonic 3 music instead of re-using the PC ones. In addition, they also didn't get the Nakamura music rights, which I assume are either easier to get and/or Sega are more willing to do so.

This sounds so similar to the problems Sega has trying to re-release Shenmue 1 & 2. All those brand licenses they had on buildings and signs having since expired in the years since the games' original release makes it impossible for them to put them on current marketplaces until they either remove them or renew their licenses.

Do we even know which composers hold the rights to which songs used in Sonic 3? If Michael Jackson's estate holds the rights to the songs he is credited for, those will be expensive to acquire. The only thing to do at this point would be to convince Sega that after they buy the rights to those songs they could turn a profit from it, which no one can guarantee.

3 hours ago, Zaysho said:

And they're in a tough spot with altering the music, even using the stuff they legally own like the PC songs because it will likely upset fans and harm sales (though, realistically, I would expect fan-made mod patches to be released for, say, a PC version remaster or something).

This is what I did with Sonic CD, to get the lyrics back into the cutscenes of the Japanese soundtrack. If Sonic 3 were to get remastered for PC I'd just do the same, it's not difficult. It's just a shame I'd have to do it in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 4

It seems like what it would take would be Sega having a lot of spare money it has nothing better to do with and being able to get everyone who might have any legal claim on the music to sit around a table and agree on how much they want both for themselves and in relation to everyone else in order to hand over their potential legal rights to Sega.  That's a very tall order.  It might even be impossible.

Alternatively, they could wait, I don't know, taking into account the lifespans of everyone involved, maybe a century?  And then the music might be out of copyright and anyone can just use it.  That might be easier.

5 hours ago, FFWF said:

It seems like what it would take would be Sega having a lot of spare money it has nothing better to do with and being able to get everyone who might have any legal claim on the music to sit around a table and agree on how much they want both for themselves and in relation to everyone else in order to hand over their potential legal rights to Sega.  That's a very tall order.  It might even be impossible.

Alternatively, they could wait, I don't know, taking into account the lifespans of everyone involved, maybe a century?  And then the music might be out of copyright and anyone can just use it.  That might be easier.

We will all be dead then lol. But I see what you mean. Sega is not the powerhouse they used to be in the 90s. So spare money is most likely a no go. Though i think they stay afloat thanks to miku, pso2, and those arcade machines with the silver balls.