Awoo.

Disney Afternoon Collection (PS4, Xbox1, PC)

Badnik Mechanic

Full press release...

SAN FRANCISCO — March 15, 2017 — Capcom, a leading worldwide developer and publisher of video games, today announced The Disney Afternoon Collection, a compilation of six games that feature beloved Disney TV characters from the 80s and 90s in fun-filled adventures. The beautifully restored classic games feature crisp 1080p HD support and include all-new modes that can be enjoyed by first-time players and long-time fans. The Disney Afternoon Collection will be available as a digital download across North America and Europe for $19.99 / £15.99 / €19.99 starting on April 18, 2017 on PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system, Xbox One and Windows PC.

Players will be able to relive their childhood afternoons with Disney and explore these pieces of gaming history with classics including:

Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers – This classic lets players team up with a friend in co-op play as they assume the roles of the mischievous Chip and Dale as they take on memorable villain Fat Cat and attempt to solve the mystery of a missing kitten.

Chip ‘n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 – Fat Cat has escaped and his plans are even more dastardly this time. The titular heroes and supporting cast Monterey Jack, Gadget, and Zipper must stop Fat Cat from his evil dream of world domination!

Darkwing Duck – Play as the original caped crusader and fight a city full of criminals from the infamous F.O.W.L. organization in this action-packed platforming epic.

DuckTales – In this iconic platforming adventure, players help Scrooge McDuck fill his feathery pockets with vast riches from across the world.

DuckTales 2 – The sequel to the original game comes jam-packed with more action and an even bigger caper set in new locations like the Bermuda Triangle and Niagara Falls!

TaleSpin – Take to the skies as Baloo the bear navigates his plane through exotic and dangerous locations in this side-scrolling shoot-em-up.

All six games are new and improved HD versions of the originals and feature a number of filtering options that replicate a classic retro look and feel. This collection also offers new ways to play with Boss Rush and Time Attack modes for each game. In Boss Rush mode, players battle through challenging boss encounters consecutively, while Time Attack mode encourages time-based gameplay and provides online leaderboards that track the fastest times for each game. A new “Rewind” feature makes these challenging titles more accessible for newcomers, with the option to rewind time and enjoy a swift recovery from blunders. Additionally, the in-game Disney Museum will provide history buffs with a wealth of content to celebrate the era of the original releases, such as concept art, advertisements, character art, and music – all preserved in their original glory.

All NES games so no Mega Drive Alamein. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, so far it seems pretty neat for them to do this, as long as they don't fuck it up. 

Also all the negative comments are about Nintendo ports not being released on the Switch, teehee. 

It's a good idea for this so the younger generation can play these NES classics, some of the better games from the console and most of the games have held up decently, just with TaleSpin being the weaker one of the bunch. Besides I'm sure Capcom will also do a DuckTales Remastered bundle too even if its just on Steam. It's also pretty neat for preservation of the older games even though it could be argued that it didn't have all the NES Capcom Disney games (there's just two but they aren't part of the TV package, Little Mermaid and Adventures of the Magic Kingdom).

Just hope that Digital Eclipse does a better job this time as in improve the problems that the Mega Man collection suffered from (e.g. that sound bug, stealing a sound pack from The Spriters Resource and others that I can't remember) and if there were any problems at least Capcom should fund a patch.

Not gonna happen immediately, but people who are interested but not planning to get it in a while should keep an eye on it nonetheless since Capcom has been known for losing the rights of 3rd party properties and having the games removed from the online stores like in the case of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Heritage for the Future and Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Either way, this is not my cup of tea nor do I have nostalgia for those games nor the cartoons they're based upon, but it's nice from Capcom to make those titles available in anything that isn't a 30 years old console.

So in regards to a Switch version

HterV9V.jpg

It's just a matter of demand. Reason it probably wasn't in the original announcement it's so close to the switch launch the division just couldn't get the ok for a dev kit.

I would hope that's the case. Releasing a collection of NES games on every system but Nintendo would feel...wrong.

7 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I would hope that's the case. Releasing a collection of NES games on every system but Nintendo would feel...wrong.

Well, the demand is definitely there, 98% of the responses to the announcement tweet are for a Switch port

56 minutes ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Well, the demand is definitely there, 98% of the responses to the announcement tweet are for a Switch port

Totally not a made up statistic.

• Thumbs Up 5

What about achievements.  I know many may not care but I'd prefer this on my switch but I'm not sure if  Nintendo has plans to include any form of a progress tracker :(

Looks pretty neat. It's weird how it isn't on the Switch, but I think it'll get a port later on.

If I have complain to make about this, it's the fact that none of the SNES Capcom games aren't on here. I know it's based off the Disney Afternoon Block, but it still would have been nice to play the Magical Quest games in 1080p.

F*CK! I came here running thinking they would be like the Duck Tales Remastered, but it's just the original games. It's cool, yeah, but the Duck Tales Remastered is amazing.

• Thumbs Up 2

Love that 8 bit remix of the Disney Afternoon intro (despite us Brits never actually having the shows through that, it's still nostalgic through our own Disney weekend programs we had).

I have to agree putting NES games on every platform BUT Nintendo's seems a tad odd, hoping Capcom will answer to the demand, I wanna give these a shot.

It's nice to know a lot of classic licensed games aren't fading into obscurity.

• Thumbs Up 1

This was quite a surprise to wake up to! Really neat that Capcom went for this angle and gave us all of these at once plus extras as opposed to individual releases. Also quite nice to see the rarer sequels included as well. Definitely picking this up and especially excited to play the Darkwing game, as I love DW, but I've never actually played his game before. 

Though, I'll also echo people's hopes that this does well enough to warrant a SNES collection (I'd KILL for a port of the Magical Quest games and Aladdin) and that Capcom get the message and bring it to Switch. (Something like this would definitely benefit from on-the-go play.)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I'm late to this. Only realised thanks to @Gabe mentioning this in the Castle of Illusion topic.

Yeah, it looks nice. I've not played any of these games, never owned a NES. So will be nice to give them a go. My main interest is DuckTales 1&2. Having played the excellent DT Remastered I'm keen to see what the original game was like and it's sequel. I would love to see a DuckTales 2 Remastered.

This is quite interesting:

I'm glad DuckTales 2 is finally getting some love.  It always seemed to overshadowed by its predecessor, which (don't get me wrong) is a great game.

Can't wait to play all these games in good quality and not on an emulator that is sort of finicky.

IMO, Duck Tales 2 was always better than 1. More levels, much more secrets, harder. It's actually the one I've played back in the day on the NES, I've only played 1 on emulators.

As for the quality of the games... Well, it's Capcom themselves developing??

10 hours ago, Jango said:

As for the quality of the games... Well, it's Capcom themselves developing??

That's not an assurance of quality, but it will probably be better than playing on an emulator in any case.  As a comparison, a lot of people had problems with Mega Man Legacy Collection, from what I hear, but I'm not sure why.

• 3 weeks later...

So, has anyone played this yet? It was released on 18 April but I totally forget about it because I've been playing Sonic Time Twisted which was released on the same day, lol! 

I'm now downloading the Disney Afternoon Collection :P