Awoo.

New Classic Zone Revealed for Sonic Mania

Wraith

After we were told that Green Hill was the tamest of the old levels, it's disappointing to see that, besides some trash heaps, this looks exactly like it used to.

• Thumbs Up 6

35 minutes ago, Marcello said:

After we were told that Green Hill was the tamest of the old levels, it's disappointing to see that, besides some trash heaps, this looks exactly like it used to.

Considering their statement that Green Hill is meant to feature the tamest of changes, I'm hoping that what they showed is simply early on in the level.

EDIT: I somehow missed the gravity-shifting parts. Perhaps Flying Battery is more about gameplay changes than visual ones.

12 minutes ago, TailsBot said:

There was no need to make this topic. It's already posted in the main one.

It's actually perfectly allowed to create new threads for specific pieces of news.

Hmmm. Pretty cool choice of a returning level, and it certainly looks like there's potential for some cool new ideas, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish they'd included some more parts of the level that actually look different from the original. Not that I doubt they're there, it's just a little disappointing we didn't get to see them, especially right on the heels of the Green Hill Zone Act 2 reveal, which was clearly full of originality.

Overall, while they did certainly give me what I wanted (a new returning level reveal!), the news we got earlier about Green Hill Zone Act 2 and the Hard-Boiled Heavies was actually more interesting than the stream news IMO.

• Thumbs Up 3

Flying Battery was one of my favorite 3&K Zones, so I welcome it back!

I love the new magnetic-ceiling-with-a-Lightning-Shield gimmick, and the piles of dead scrapped Badniks makes me curious. I'm sure they're intentionally hiding the main change of the Zone so-as to focus all attention to the fact that this place is back at all. My only question is how it was able to become airborne again after Sonic (& later Knuckles) sent it crashing down. Why would Eggman go to all the trouble of repairing it instead of investing in a new craft? Guess we'll find out this summer.

• Thumbs Up 5

I reckon once he gets under that big pile of garbage is when shit gets new and exciting.

Cause as of now it's old and I always hated Flying Battery anyway.

34 minutes ago, Chili Dawg said:

I reckon once he gets under that big pile of garbage is when shit gets new and exciting.

Cause as of now it's old and I always hated Flying Battery anyway.

Agree with the bolded! It's such a tease having the trailer fade out at that point too!! 

I like flying battery a lot tbh, although I'm not sure how much of that is just because the music is dope as fuck. Really keen to see how the mania version turns out.

Flying Battery was one of the best zones in the 16-bit games, so it pleases me to see it return. I recognized much of the level design from the original, so it'll be cool to see what's changed over the years.

• Thumbs Up 3

Flying Battery feels like a bit of an odd choice at first, it's not one of the 3&K levels that springs immediately to mind to me, but it's a pretty rad level so I'm cool with it. And I like how they keep incorporating level-specific interactions with the shields; we had the fire shield burning the GHZ spike logs and now the electric shield being attracted by the magnet ceilings. Stuff like that adds a nice extra wrinkle to make each run more unique.

• Thumbs Up 9

I noticed that a part of the background seems to be in 3D. I also think Flying battery is a solid choice, I'm just currently wondering if we'll get anything from CD and what stage will be picked from Sonic 2.

as much as I love everything about this, I have this fear that we won't get the same treatment for music as we did for S3&K when Act 2 is like a slightly altered/remixed version of Act 1. It seems like they mixed Act 2 into 1 and just overall remixed it a bit. I hope I'm wrong.

18 hours ago, LunarEdge said:

as much as I love everything about this, I have this fear that we won't get the same treatment for music as we did for S3&K when Act 2 is like a slightly altered/remixed version of Act 1. It seems like they mixed Act 2 into 1 and just overall remixed it a bit. I hope I'm wrong.

If Act one and Two are both in the act one theme now, perhaps we will get a brand new theme for act 2?

Also, the cloud sprites for the outside sections look Gorgeous 

22 hours ago, Jetronic said:

I noticed that a part of the background seems to be in 3D. I also think Flying battery is a solid choice, I'm just currently wondering if we'll get anything from CD and what stage will be picked from Sonic 2.

Pretty sure they have confirmed at least one stage from CD.

• Thumbs Up 2

I always thought this level was ridiculously underrated in the series. Everybody loves it but it never got the shine it deserved

Considering this is my personal favorite from Sonic&Knuckles, hearing it was in there. I was half expecting Ice Cap, though