Awoo.

What if: Sonic Modern Collection for PS4/Xbox One.

Detective Kaito

Do you want to see a collection of the Modern Sonic games all bundled up in one package and released for PS4/X1?

The collection would include:

• Sonic Unleashed (HD version).
  • Sonic Colors.
  • Sonic Generations.
  • Sonic Lost World.

PC already has 2 of these games available on Steam (3 if you wanna count Wii emulator), but Sonic Unleashed and Colors never saw a re-release on PC for some reason, which they desperately need. Maybe discard Lost World from the collection to keep it a bit easier for the devs, that and it's the most recent game. Maybe release the collection for Nintendo Switch too.

Updated graphics, 1080p, 60fps, all DLC (which Unleashed has a quite a lot of), and best of all, easy money for SEGA.

Insert "I'd rather let Sonic Team work on new games rather than work on porting old ones!" comment here.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Detective Kaito said:
  • Sonic Unleashed (HD version).
  • Sonic Colors.
  • Sonic Generations.
  • Sonic Lost World.

Can I has Racing Transformed too?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Mayor D said:

Sonic Racing HD Collection:

• Sonic Riders.
  • Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
  • Sonic Free Riders (first time w/o motion controls)
  • Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing.
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

A man can dream, bruh.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

With 80s Trousers mode!

• Thumbs Up 1

I would go for that, the likelihood would probably be slim for it happening but wouldn't mind a copy for my PS4

14 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

A man can dream, bruh.

You have no idea though how close one of those titles came to reality...

Edit: Ok... can't leave it at that.

Basically, Sega was pitched one of those titles for the PS4/Xbox One by another company who had managed to get the title running at the specs, and Sega said no.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

You have no idea though how close one of those titles came to reality...

Edit: Ok... can't leave it at that.

Basically, Sega was pitched one of those titles for the PS4/Xbox One by another company who had managed to get the title running at the specs, and Sega said no.

Was it Zero Gravity? That game had a killer OST

6 minutes ago, Scar said:

Was it Zero Gravity? That game had a killer OST

I know you are kidding. But I will not be confirming the title for a few years yet.

52 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

Sonic Racing HD Collection:

• Sonic Riders.
  • Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity.
  • Sonic Free Riders (first time w/o motion controls)
  • Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing.
  • Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed.

A man can dream, bruh.

Maybe with Sonic R too? Yeah, I know many fans hate that game more than Sonic '06 and Sonic Boom, but it's impossible to run that game on a modern PC (In fact, if you don't have an original copy of the game, I think you also can't install it in a old PC or in a Virtual Machine). But I think a full HD remake of the game, adapted for new PCs, it won't be a bad idea.

If there was an Unleashed port, I'd want some rebalancing, so it doesn't take so long to kill enemies as the Werehog. It's just not fun. And maybe reduce the Sun/Moon Medal requirements.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah Unleashed would need a proper polish up to be viable, but obviously it's my fave 3D game so I'd be all about that.

My suggestions would be:

Revamp tutorials to make it clear when to use the boost and that you can just hold down the grab button as Werehog

Ditch medal requirements for all Act 1 stages, but keep them for the secret acts to serve as rewards.

Integrate all DLC into the main game (hub world entrances etc).

Ditch levelling up for Daytime Sonic, have his speed be whatever it was in Generations, going max sometimes broke levels anyway.  Boost meter upgrades could perhaps be purchasable with rings instead, I dunno.

Have Werehog's "combat" automatically level up so you quickly unlock more moves (have this happen in realtime too, with new moves unlocking and informing you as such as soon as all current active enemies are defeated following a level up).  Levelling up for the other stuff can be left as is I think.

Rebalance the medal placements or add some kind of hint system (a la talking to NPCs in Generations for Red Ring advice), put some into the DLC stages and perhaps include more concept art for collection in DLC stages.

Those would be the broad strokes but if we were getting into nittygritty, stuff like save points during Eggmanland (perhaps at the start of each modern section) reduced difficulty of QTEs etc would be nice.

I also feel it'd be cool to include the PS2/Wii version of the game as well as like a "bonus game"?  It'd be a shame if we're preserving history with a re-release and the museum of Sonic only has room for one version when the alternate one had it's fans/moments too.

• Thumbs Up 1

And also make it so that you don't hear "Dun-dun-dun-dun-dununuuuuun-DUN" at every battle or even at all. I love Unleashed's night music so much its a shame that one track has so much prevalence.

Heck maybe add some brand new enemies so that the combat doesn't get so tedious. If you're gonna replicate Devil May Cry and God of War you might as well go all the way with enemy department, right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't there like a "leak" awhile back of Generations and Colors getting Switch ports or something? It was taken down iirc.

As long as the potential Unleashed port reassigns the homing attack from the action button to the jump button I'm good.

I swear Unleashed is the only game with that completely random change and it's annoying as hell.

I could see it... on Switch. The proposal of taking all these games on the go would go over extremely well, and the fanbase is friendly to the games. add in that half of the titles you've named started as Nintendo exclusives, while it'd be the other two's first time for the full version being on the Nintendo platform

9 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

I could see it... on Switch. The proposal of taking all these games on the go would go over extremely well, and the fanbase is friendly to the games. add in that half of the titles you've named started as Nintendo exclusives, while it'd be the other two's first time for the full version being on the Nintendo platform

This makes no sense for why it would only be on Switch. Don't see why it matters of they started on Nintendo. Crash started on Sony and those games may be on other systems. Same with FF7R. Plus, Sonic is 3rd party. There'd be no harm in allowing for more people to access these. 

10 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Dude, come on. I like Switch, but this is kind of obnoxious.

I would like to see such a collection across all platforms, in any case, because I'd like to actually own and play Unleashed HD. I think as well, they can include some extras, like harder to come by games like the Advance trilogy and even Battle (Gems Collection had three headliners and the rest was backed up by Game Gear games and a few extra Genesis games, so I think the GBA titles would be a nice bonus).

11 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

I don't see these games running at 60fps on Switch.

That said, I don't see them doing this for Xbone or PS4 either. The reception of Lost World was pretty mixed and, hell, they delisted Unleashed because of its reception right?

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

You think everything is coming to Switch and then they keep getting announced and they're not :P

If this were to come, I doubt it'd have Lost World and it'd be multiplatform.

27 minutes ago, Captain Fun said:

I don't see these games running at 60fps on Switch.

That said, I don't see them doing this for Xbone or PS4 either. The reception of Lost World was pretty mixed and, hell, they delisted Unleashed because of its reception right?

The Switch is quite a bit more powerful than the 360 and PS3 even in handheld mode. I'm sure it can run them at 60 fps.

• Thumbs Up 3

Modern Sonic games have such a bad reputation that I don't even know how you'd go about marketing a collection of just the newer ones. 

15 hours ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Your entire argument can be flipped around on you when it comes to other series. Why should Crash N. Sane Trilogy come to Switch? The PlayStation fanbase is friendly to the games, add in that all three titles are Sony exclusives. Furthermore, considering Lost World is heavily debated as being decent, and Colours' rep has changed considerably since release, those Nintendy exclusives aren't looking so hot. 

I'm not against a Switch version either, but what exactly is up with this mentality of only Switch should get a remastered collection and such? Not only is that a rather biased way of thinking and contradictory to what you said in the past in relation to other titles (For certain series likely to be exclusive, they should totally be multiplatform so they can hit the Switch (Crash) or for series that would almost definitely be multiplatform, those are the ones that should most definitely be Switch exclusive! (Sonic)", but it's also completely counter-productive from SEGA's marketing side. What reason whatsoever would SEGA have for cutting their potential buyer market down that much just for a Switch exclusive collection? A move that for the record bit SEGA on the ass previously by making their games Wii U exclusively. In fact, it was that very same exclusivity bullshit mentality that lead to the disaster we currently know as Rise of Lyric because SEGA forced a major downgrade on something that could barely run on Wii U.

Alright, yes. Fair enough, different circumstances, but the point still stands.

Why would they do that all of that when Forces is releasing on all current gen consoles, so if they were to make a collection, the entire point would be to introduce that gameplay to new fans of the series, and entice them towards Forces, so what good would it do exactly to limit it to Switch? Especially when Sony/Microsoft already has a larger install base due to being out longer in the market. 

There's absolutely no reason, no benefit from making this exclusive, and I seriously can't help but notice the serious console favoritism being displayed here, because you did the very opposite in the Crash N. Sane Trilogy thread, arguing against the fact Crash was likely Sony exclusive, and that it should be on Switch. The ironic thing though is that Crash has valid excuses for console exclusivity, such as his most well-received games being on PlayStation, Sony owning the distribution rights to the original Crash titles, Sony possibly having some kind of stake in the ports, and Crash being considering one of Sony's main mascots. Meanwhile, there's absolutely no justifiable reason why Sonic of all things, whom's success recently on Nintendo consoles was an heavily mixed reception game, an game universally despised, a game seen as a missed opportunity and nothing above average, and said game's sequel which is seen as a decent improvement, exactly why should a collection be exclusive to Switch again? 

5 hours ago, Zaysho said:

Dude, come on. I like Switch, but this is kind of obnoxious.

I would like to see such a collection across all platforms, in any case, because I'd like to actually own and play Unleashed HD. I think as well, they can include some extras, like harder to come by games like the Advance trilogy and even Battle (Gems Collection had three headliners and the rest was backed up by Game Gear games and a few extra Genesis games, so I think the GBA titles would be a nice bonus).

Advance could be significantly more tricky to include unfortunately. The publishing rights are owned by THQ still, which is why they aren't on the Wii U Virtual Console to my knowledge, so the same could be the case if they were to re-release them in collections.

• Thumbs Up 6

If they did a port of free riders with controller support I think that'd solve a lot of problems with that game. Aside from that, the sega all starsracing games,  and the boost games, yeah, have no idea how they'd market any of their other titles and get people outside the fanbase interested, and even then free riders is heavily notorious by now, there's prob no saving it. They're probably just better off putting them on like a digital store like xbla or psn.(speaking of which, where the fuck is Sonic R sega? >:< ) Runners could also be neat to see on a console in a normal game setting without the aaa bullshit.

Oh, II didn't mean just on Switch, I just meant it makes the most sense on the Switch and there's no reason to exclude it, especially since the next game is coming to all 3 platforms

• Thumbs Up 1

Nowhere in Mando's post did he say "only on Switch". :V

Anyway, sure. I wouldn't mind having them all on one system. I wonder if they could make a few bug fixes or tweak some stuff as well.

3 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

Nowhere in Mando's post did he say "only on Switch". :V

Anyway, sure. I wouldn't mind having them all on one system. I wonder if they could make a few bug fixes or tweak some stuff as well.

When you say "I could see it...on Switch", it sort of means the same thing. It'd be different if he said "I could see it working well on Switch" then that's a different meaning altogether. Specifically focusing on one console for seemingly no reason and making it sound like it could only work on Switch can be misinterpreted as such. Even then, I'd argue it makes more sense on PS4/Xbox One, since if anything, those are the players that might need the reintroduction to Sonic since he's been absence since 2012. 

• Thumbs Up 1