Awoo.

Japanese Sonic Chronicles Changes

KIRBY

So, some of my friends who got their paws on the Japanese version of Sonic Chronicles said there were some changes in the game compared to ours:

The Font of the Dialogs

The Japanese font is bigger compared to the other version.

Changes in Dialog

We know that Sonic tends to speak English from time to time, right? (Under Japanese audio option)

Apparently, ALL the dialog that involve with "Sonic's English" are all in Japanese...

So no ENGRISH >A<

OTL

Change in Enemy System/A.I

Swat Bots, remember they'd regenerate under the condition of "If there are any enemy on the field, they'd regenerate themselves many times"(I think...Correct me if I am wrong)

In the Japanese version, the rule is changed into "They'll regenerate 3 times, but under the 4th time it is knocked down, they WILL NOT regenerate anymore"

Minor Changes in some Terminology Explanation

To let the Japanese audience understand more, terms such as "Atk" is changed into "Hit", "Def" changed to "Eva"(Evasion??)

Will update if there are anymore differences!!If anyone is interested...XD

Edited by KIRBY

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JaidynReiman

• KIRBY

• Gabz Girl

• BakingBluePotatoe

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read at least one review where the person making the review didn't realize that increasing ATK also reduced your chance to miss with regular attacks. I think that's the reason for the change.

Edited by Phos

It was a bit confusing to me. It's counter intuitive. You wouldn't think to look up ATK points in an RPG.

But I know Chronicles isn't the first to mix terms like strength and accuracy. It doesn't add depth, it just confuses people.

Eh, its good that they changed ATK to HIT. That was always quite annoying that "Attack" doesn't really increase your attack, same for DEF. Regardless, these changes really aren't that big...

What do you mean that "Sonic speaks English from time to time." He speaks English all the time in normal versions of the game. Are you referring to versions of the game other than the English version?

As for the Swatbots... damn... that was annoying... Cool that they changed that. Again, though, its nothing really significant.

What do you mean that "Sonic speaks English from time to time." He speaks English all the time in normal versions of the game. Are you referring to versions of the game other than the English version?

He often throws in an English phrase in Japanese-language Sonic X; I presume that's what it meant - that he DOESN'T do likewise in Japanese Chronicles.

I was hopeing to find out that they'd actually put in the clearly missing missions, like the Voxai Beta trader and whatnot.

Hmm hmm, interesting changes. especially the Atk to Hit one. I didn't even know it made your hit chances less until now! The SWATbot regenerate thing is good too.

Now I wonder if there are any more changes~

..... I knew they'd change something...

... someone clear up what's with the engrish thing? So does he say English phrases or not?

^ Well, it decreases the chance of missing.

Anyway, I knew there'd be -some- differences. I'm mainly wondering, though, if there are any major changes, such as special additions not available in the original. I think it would also be interesting for Eggman to be available throughout the rest of the game (in a non-plot role, of course; simply for gameplay purposes) in New Game Plus. Highly doubt it, but still, it'd be interesting.

^^ I don't know what it's called in Japan, but in Korea it's called Conglish. It's basically using English words in Koreon, for lack of a better term (battery is pronounced bah-turl-ray, and so on). It can also be used as slang (like in Sonic's case).

Edited by BlazingTales

He often throws in an English phrase in Japanese-language Sonic X; I presume that's what it meant - that he DOESN'T do likewise in Japanese Chronicles.

..... I knew they'd change something...

... someone clear up what's with the engrish thing? So does he say English phrases or not?

Me and my bad English...OTL

Sorry for the confusion..><

Apparently, he DOES NOT SPEAK ANY ENGRISH in the JP version,

that's what I meant>_<

Edited by KIRBY

Oh, I get what you're saying...

You're saying that oftentimes, in SONIC GAMES, Sonic (and perhaps other characters) tend to speak some English phrases in the Japanese version. I thought you were referring specifically to Sonic Chronicles. That's not really a change from the original at all, then, since that's in relation to other games, not specifically this game.

You probably should've clarified that. Of course, I suppose I could be wrong, too, but after re-reading it, I'm sure that's what you're saying, correct?

Oh, I get what you're saying...

You're saying that oftentimes, in SONIC GAMES, Sonic (and perhaps other characters) tend to speak some English phrases in the Japanese version. I thought you were referring specifically to Sonic Chronicles. That's not really a change from the original at all, then, since that's in relation to other games, not specifically this game.

You probably should've clarified that. Of course, I suppose I could be wrong, too, but after re-reading it, I'm sure that's what you're saying, correct?

Yes, that's what I meant originally.

Sorry for the confusion...>_<

Therefore, to sum things up:

Sonic, contrary to his other games that in which he uses English from time to time, DOES NOT use English phrases in Chronicles.

Such as:

"Hey guys~", "Alright!"...etc

Is that clear enough? :P

From what I heard that the music in the original was bad, so you think they could change the music as well?

^ Well, it decreases the chance of missing.

Ohhh. I thought it wrong.. ^ ^;

I honestly didn't know that though. I thought Atk was for making the attack damage higher, and Luck was the decreasing chance of missing one! If Atk was not what I thought it was initially, then what is Luck exactly? O-o *confused*

Luck is the chance of landing a 'critical hit', or the enemy missing. If your attack strikes high damage, the word "lucky" will appear. Sometime when enemies miss it will also appear.

From what I heard that the music in the original was bad, so you think they could change the music as well?

Apparently the music and the audio are exactly the same...T_T

Another add on difference:

The Minor Changes in the Title

No, not the name of the title change....eh, how should I say this...

The font is more beautiful?

09080916000595cd0911cdb4bf.jpg.thumb.jpg

Oh, also a little arrow is added on...XD

Wh-Wh-Wh-What?

No Engrish!? Bu.. But that's the best part! >.<

they better have some DAMN good stuff to make up for that. >.>

A Sonic with no Gratuitous English? Surely the Gods have gone mad!

Though I guess it's understandable. There's no Junichi Kanemaru, after all! Since he's known for doing this on any role.

Well, I was thinking about that, and it does make sense. There aren't any voice actors in this game. Not that I really thought it would be any other way, since, well, there aren't any voice actors in this game. I thought it was a fairly pointless reference, personally.