Awoo.

1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread - FINAL UPDATE 9/APRIL/2019 (AT 4000 FILMS!)

Apollo Chungus

FINAL UPDATE ON THE 9TH OF APRIL 2019! NOW COMES WITH A SPREADSHEET VERSION WITH MORE DETAILS!

Hello, and welcome to the...

1001 Animated Films You Should Watch Suggestions Thread

This is a project inspired by the 1001 X Things in Y Medium You Must Check Out Before You Die books you find in bookstores, newsagents and whatnot, with the theme being focused on animated films. This is a project dedicated to finding 1001 animated films, shorts, TV episodes and anything else from all four corners of the Earth, and collecting them together into a document of some sort to give to people. From the famous films of Disney and Ghibli right down to innovative shorts on the internet, every fan of animation will find something new to enjoy!

I've spent the last two years looking for suggestions and recommendations to go into the project, and the limit of 4000 has finally been reached. So I'm closing this stage of the project, as I plan to figure out how to move forward with things. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to some way or another over the years!

Here's what was included as part of the last update:

Spoiler

1001 Animated Films: (3999 so far -- 18:29, 5/April/2019)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gNsbP_u5H6EDlV7ZqKJTxWusqWatcjol/view?usp=sharing

REMOVALS/CHANGES:

Before The 30s (1):

HARVEST FESTIVAL SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN MADE IN 1930, SO IT WAS MOVED OVER TO THE 30s

1930s (1)

THE DEVIL'S BALL SEEMS TO BE AN ALTERNATE NAME FOR THE MASCOT, SO IT WAS REMOVED FOR BEING A POTENTIAL DUPLICATE

1940s (4)

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: HARE RIBBIN' WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: EATIN' ON THE CUFF WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: WHAT'S COOKIN', DOC? WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

LOONEY TUNES/MERRIE MELODIES: THE GREAT PIGGY BANK ROBBERY WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

1950s (2)

GUMBASIA WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

GOLIATH II WAS ORIGINALLY RELEASED IN 1960, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED FROM HERE TO THE 60s

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY ONE FILM, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW REDUCED BY ONE

1960s (1)

TALES OF A STREET CORNER WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY ELEVEN FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY ELEVEN

1970s (1)

MAKE ME PSYCHIC WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

1980s (1)

ONCE UPON A TIME THERE LIVED A DOG WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY ONE FILM, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY ONE

1990s (5)

FRANZ KAFKA WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

"Chika Gentō Gekiga: Shōjo Tsubaki" WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THE JOJO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE OVA IS ACTUALLY A 6 EPISODE SERIES, AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK AS ORIGINALLY ASSUMED, SO IT WAS REMOVED

GUNDAM WING: ENDLESS WALTZ IS A 3 EPISODE OVA THAT WAS LATER ADAPTED INTO A COMPILATION FILM, SO IT WAS REMOVED

I GO SEEK WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY TWO FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY TWO

2000s (2)

REN & STIMPY: MAN'S BEST FRIEND WAS ORIGINALLY PRODUCED IN 1992, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED FROM HERE TO THE 90s

AMON TOBIN: NIGHTLIFE WAS RELEASED BACK IN 2005, NOT 2006 AS ORIGINALLY SUSPECTED, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED TO THAT YEAR

X & Y WAS RELEASED BACK IN 2008, NOT 2009 AS ORIGINALLY SUSPECTED, SO IT'S BEEN MOVED TO THAT YEAR

AMAZING NUTS! IS ACTUALLY A SERIES OF MUSIC VIDEOS AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK, SO IT WAS REMOVED

UNBALANCE WAS ACTUALLY PART OF THE ANIMATED ANTHOLOGY 'TOKYO LOOP', SO IT'S BEEN REPLACED WITH THAT ENTIRE ANTHOLOGY

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY TWO FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY TWO

2010s (7)

REDLINE WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE; ONCE IN THE 00s AND AGAIN IN THE 10s; AND HAS BEEN REMOVED FROM THE 10s SINCE IT PREMIERED IN THE 00s

INTO THE FOREST OF FIREFLIES' LIMELIGHT WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME, SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

CRASH! BANG! WALLOW? WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED IN 2009, SO IT WAS MOVED TO THE 00s

MADAGASCAR: A JOURNEY DIARY WAS ACTUALLY RELEASED IN 2009, SO IT WAS MOVED TO THE 00s

WANDERING SON IS ACTUALLY A TV SERIES AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK AS ORIGINALLY ASSUMED, SO IT WAS REMOVED

SHIRANPURI WAS ERRONEOUSLY FEATURED TWICE UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME (MINDING MY OWN BUSINESS - CREDITED TO THE SAME DIRECTOR BUT MISSPELT), SO ONE OF THEM WAS REMOVED

SCENES/"Jōkei" IS ACTUALLY A SERIES OF SHORTS AND NOT A SINGULAR WORK AS ORIGINALLY ASSUMED, SO IT WAS REMOVED

THERE WAS A SLIGHT MISCOUNT IN THE NUMBER OF FILMS INCLUDED BY THIRTEEN FILMS, SO THE OVERALL NUMBER IS NOW INCREASED BY THIRTEEN

---

BEFORE THE 30's: (118 so far - 8 films added)

. Pauvre Pierrot (1892), dir. Emile Reynaud -- SamsonSanchoSan
. Le Clown et ses chiens (1892), dir. Emile Reynaud -- JM
. Un bon block (1892), dir. Emile Reynaud -- JM
. Diseases Spread/Byodoku no denpa (1926), dir. Sanae Yamamoto -- Ren Fukuzumi
. A Story of Tobacco/Kemurigusa monogatari (1926), dir. Noburō Ōfuji -- Kōji Yamamura
. Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: Hungry Hoboes (1928), dir. Walt Disney -- JM
. The Nation of Fish/Sakana no kuni (1928), dir. Hakuzan Kimura -- Akira Tochigi
. Two Worlds/Futatsu no sekai (1929), dir. Yasuji Murata -- Kōsei Ono

1930's: (188 so far - 8 films added; 306 total)

. A Wolf is a Wolf/Okami wa okami da (1931), dir. Yasuji Murata -- Ren Fukuzumi
. Armies of the World/Rekkoku rikugun (1932), dir. Unknown -- Taku Furukawa
. A Day after a Hundred Years/Hyakunengo no aruhi (1933), dir. Shigeji Ogino -- Kōsei Ono
. Spring Comes to Ponsuke/Ponsuke no haru (1934), dir. Ikuo Ōishi -- Taku Furukawa
. An Expression [Hyogen] (1935), dir. Shigeji Ogino -- Akira Tochigi
. Rhythm (1935), dir. Shigeji Ogino -- Hirohito Miyamoto
. Rainbow Parade: Japanese Lanterns/Chinese Lanterns (1935), dir. Burt Gillett & Ted Eshbaugh -- Steve Stanchfield
. Mother Goose Goes Hollywood (1938), dir. Wilfred Jackson -- Andreas Deja

1940's: (262 so far - 2 films added; 568 total)

. The Quack Infantry Troop/Ahiru rikusentai (1941), dir. Mitsuyo Seo -- Mirai Mizue
. Arichan the Ant (1941), dir. Mitsuyo Seo -- Kōsei Ono

1950's: (172 so far - NO FILMS ADDED; 740 total)

1960's: (231 so far - 4 films added; 971 total)

. Pink Panther: The Pink Phink (1964), dir. Friz Freleng & Hawley Pratt -- ILDC
. Nudnik: Here's Nudnik (1965), dir. Gene Deitch -- JM
. Idea Man (1966), dir. Jim Henson -- JM
. Pink Panther: The Pink Blueprint (1966), dir. Hawley Pratt -- ILDC

1970's: (273 so far - 1 film added; 1244 total)

. Closed Mondays (1974), dir. Will Vinton & Bob Gardiner -- JM

1980's: (411 so far - 3 films added; 1655 total)

. Talking Heads: And She Was (1985), dir. Jim Blashfield -- JM
. Martin Dupont: Inside Out (1987), dir. Unknown -- JM
. The Dingles (1988), dir. Les Drew -- JM

1990's: (424 so far - 2 films added; 2079 total)

. Oruorane the Cat Player (1992), dir. Takahiro Okao, Mizuho Nishikubo -- JM
. Sailor Moon SuperS Plus: Ami's First Love (1995), dir. Takuya Igarashi -- JM

2000's: (724 so far - 2 films added; 2803 total)

. Aquatic Language (2002), dir. Yasuhiro Yoshiura -- JM
. "Weird Al" Yankovic: Don't Download This Song (2006), dir. Bill Plympton -- ILDC

2010's: (1196 so far - 52 films added; 3999 total)

. Ici, là et partout (2013), dir. Sawako Kabuki -- Adanusch
. "Weird Al" Yankovic: Lame Claim to Fame (2014), dir. Tim Thompson -- JM
. Welcome To My Life (2015), dir. Elizabeth Ito -- JM
. In The Distance (2015), dir. Florian Grolig -- Amid Amidi
. Way of Giants (2016), dir. Alois Di Leo -- Amid Amidi
. Sore Eyes for Infinity (2016), dir. Elli Vuorinen -- Amid Amidi
. Summer’s Puke is Winter’s Delight (2016), dir. Sawako Kabuki -- Adanusch
. Flying Lotus: Post Requisite (2017), dir. Winston Hacking -- Amid Amidi
. Link (2017), dir. Robert Löbel -- Amid Amidi
. The Northeast Kingdom (2017), dir. Alan Jennings -- Amid Amidi
. Grandpa Walrus (2017), dir. Lucrèce Andreae -- Amid Amidi
. The Bonds (2017), dir. Jonathan Gillie -- Amid Amidi
. The Blissful Accidental Death (2017), dir. Sergiu Negulici -- Amid Amidi
. Chuck Steel: Night of the Trampires (2017), dir. Mike Mort -- JM
. Candy.zip (2017), dir. Tomoki Misato -- Adanusch
. To & Kyo (2017), dir. Tsuneo Goda -- Adanusch
. Bookanima: Martial Arts (2018), dir. Shon Kim -- Amid Amidi
. Optics (2018), dir. Maxim Zhestkov -- Amid Amidi
. Jeom (2018), dir. Kangmin Kim -- Amid Amidi
. Raccoon and the Light (2018), dir. Hanna Kim -- Amid Amidi
. Kaal (2018), dir. Charlie Aufroy -- Amid Amidi
. Celebrating Mister Rogers (2018), dir. Melissa Crowton & Olivia Huynh -- ILDC
. Dennis the Dinosaur (2018), dir. Gabby Capili -- JM
. The Beatles: Glass Onion [2018 Mix] (2018), dir. Alasdair Brotherston & Jock Mooney (Alasdair+Jock) -- JM
. A Gong (2018), dir. Zozo Jhen, Tena Galovic, Marine Varguy, Yen-Chen Liu, Ellis Ka-yin Chan -- Amid Amidi
. War For Dogs (2018), dir. Felipe Di Poi Tamargo -- Amid Amidi
. Sonder (2018), dir. Neth Nom -- Amid Amidi
. Sketches (2018), dir. Vladimir Tomin -- Amid Amidi
. Tito and the Birds/Tito e os Pássaros (2018), dir. Gustavo Steinberg, André Catoto, Gabriel Bitar -- JM
. The Tower (2018), dir. Mats Grorud -- JM
. My Trip To Japan (2018), dir. Dante Zaballa -- JM
. Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018), dir. Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsey, Rodney Rothman -- ILDC, JM
. Lost & Found (2018), dir. Andrew Goldsmith & Bradley Slabe -- Amid Amidi
. Google Spotlight Stories: Age of Sail (2018), dir. John Kahrs -- JM
. Yama no Susume: Having Fun with Classmates!
 (2018), dir. Yuusuke Yamamoto -- Adanusch
. EVISBEATS: NEW YOKU (2018), dir. Saigo no Shudan -- Adanusch
. King Gnu: Prayer X (2018), dir. Ryoji Yamada -- Adanusch
. Violence Voyager (2018), dir. Uchija -- Adanusch
. Mogu & Perol (2018), dir. Tsuneo Goda -- Adanusch
. Hugtto! Precure: Shine! Operation Precure Scouting! (2018), dir. Yuuta Tanaka, Junichi Sato & Akifumi Zako -- AshitanoGin
. Hugtto! Precure: Charm the World!? Master Homare, So Tough! (2018), dir. Koudai Watanabe, Junichi Sato & Akifumi Zako -- Yuyucow
. Yama no Susume: Season of Misunderstandings (2018), dir. China (psuedonym), Yuusuke Yamamoto -- Yuyucow
. SSSS.GRIDMAN: Dream (2018), dir. Yoshiyuki Kaneko, Akira Amemiya -- Yuyucow, illegenes, AnimeAjay
. Doraemon the Movie: Nobita’s Treasure Island (2018), dir. Kazuaki Imai -- Yuyucow 
. Okko's Inn (2018), dir. Kitarō Kōsaka -- Yuyucow
. Lotte x BUMP OF CHICKEN: Baby I Love You da ze – (2018), dir. Rie Matsumoto and Yuki Hayashi -- Yuyucow
. Devilman Crybaby: Go to Hell, You Mortals (2018), dir. Takashi Kojima, Masaaki Yuasa -- liborek3
. My Hero Academia: One For All (2018), dir. Setsumo Doukawa, Tomo Ookubo & Kenji Nagasaki -- liborek3
. Violet Evergarden: Episode 7 (2018), dir. Takuya Yamamura, Taichi Ishadate -- Emily Rand
. Black Clover: Not in the Slightest (2018), dir. Tatsuya Yoshihara -- DestructoKitteh
. Dragon Ball Super: Broly (2018), dir. Tatsuya Nagamine -- JM

For archival purposes, I'm going to include the rest of the opening post for this thread, which you can read if you like:

Spoiler

To get as vast a wealth of films as possible, I'd like whoever comes across this thread to recommend animated films/shorts/episodes/whatnot to the list. If you want, you can even contribute a short piece about whatever film you think should be in the list. All contributors will be credited, either through their forum names or their real names, whichever you prefer.

Obviously, there are some rules to help clarify certain questions, but if you have any, please ask away. So, here's some rules:

Spoiler

-Anything animated will count (traditional, CGI, claymation, puppets, rotoscoping, and anything else).

-Short films will count as part of the list, and that includes entries from series such as Tom and Jerry, Looney Tunes and Silly Symphonies.

-However, for series that have dozens if not hundreds of shorts, only five shorts for every fifty can be included (this is to prevent the kind of overcrowding that saw nearly every Legend of Zelda game appear in the 1001 Games book).

-OVAs & TV episodes will count, provided that you can justify their inclusion with cultural impact, production values, etc. They will have the same 'five for every fifty' rule as the shorts.

-Mini-series will count, but must be listed by an episode.

-Package films are viable for entry, and will be listed in their entirety; not just one or two interesting shorts.

-Compilation films (that is, films made from episodes of TV shows) will only be considered for entry if they are made in such a way that they can work as a film, and not as a collection of TV episodes. (For comparison's sake, something like Evangelion: Death and Rebirth would be included, but something like She-Ra: Secret of the Sword would not)

-Live-action films with animated characters or elements will only be included if said elements play such a major part in the film that removing them would render said film pointless; or it's observed that the animated elements are a distinct part of the world, and not effects representing something else (so a film like Looney Tunes: Back in Action could get in, but a film with an otherwise animated intro like Charge of the Light Brigade could not).

-Animated music videos will count, since they technically are short films in their own right.

-FMV games with animated footage, such as Dragon's Lair, will NOT count.

Along with those are some longer answers to certain questions:

Spoiler

Q: Is this the final list?

A: No. This is simply just a basic list logging all possible/suggested films. When it gets to a stage where there are more than enough films listed (around 4000 at the very, very most), we'll start cutting down the list and only including the films that are deemed worthy of staying in the list.

Q: What happens to the films that aren't listed as the 1001?

A: They will be included in an honorary mentions index. They will be listed in the same way as the 1001 films, but will not have a write-up dedicated to them. This is to show to the reader that there are way more films out there to check out, and that they might enjoy them more than the 1001 films.

Q: How will the films be listed in the final project?

They will be listed in the same way as the official 1001 books: a screenshot that shows a distinct part of the film, an essay summarizing the film, its historical context and its quality, and details of its crew, the film in general and possibly awards.

The idea is to list those latter elements as follows:

-Director(s)
-Animator(s)/Animation Director(s)
-Storyboarder(s)
-Art Director(s)
-Writer(s)
-Music Composer(s)
-Major Cast Members

-Length
-Language
-Production Company
-Awards Won*
-Awards Nominated*

*May not be included; we're still at the prototype stage

Q: Why is X on this list? It's terrible/unworthy/whatever.

A: Again, we're only listing the films being suggested so far, and everything will be included. Doesn't matter what you think of it, or what I think of it; it's going in the list to be evaluated.

And with that, I'll leave it up to you to give me suggestions. If you have any questions or feedback, please let me know and I'll answer them as best as I can. Thank you, and have a good day.

-Jim McGrath/FrDougal9000

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm also a huge animation fan so why not? Add these to your list if you want. These are off the top of my head, so if I think of more later I'll edit it to include them.

• Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door (2001), dir. Shinichirō Watanabe
  • Fleischer Superman serials (1941-43), dir. Max & Dave Fleischer
  • The Secret of NIMH (1982), dir. Don Bluth
  • An American Tail (1986), dir. Don Bluth
  • The Land Before Time (1988), dir. Don Bluth
  • Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005), dir. Nick Park & Steve Box
  • Spirited Away (2001), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
  • Gorillaz music videos (2001-present), dir. Unknown
  • The Road to El Dorado (2000), dir. Don Paul & Eric "Bibo" Bergeron
  • Little Witch Academia (2013), dir. Yoh Yoshinari
  • Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade (2015), dir. Yoh Yoshinari
  • The Emperor's New Groove (2000), dir. Mark Dindal
  • Ratatouille (2007), dir. Brad Bird
  • The Incredibles (2004), dir. Brad Bird
  • Shaun the Sheep Movie (2015), dir. Mark Burton & Richard Starzak
  • Fantasia (1940), dir. Samuel Armstrong, James Algar, Bill Roberts, Paul Satterfield, Ben Sharpsteen, David D. Hand, Hamilton Luske, Jim Handley, Ford Beebe, T. Hee, Norman Ferguson, Wilfred Jackson
  • Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends T.V. Movie (2004), dir. Craig McCracken? & Lauren Faust?
  • Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck (1953), dir. Chuck Jones
  • Lupin the Third: The Castle of Cagliostro (1979), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
  • Coraline (2009), dir. Henry Selick
  • Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993), dir. Bruce Timm & Eric Radomski
  • Grave of the Fireflies (1988), dir. Isao Takahata
  • Sausage Party (2016), dir. Conrad Vernon & Greg Tiernan
  • Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 & 2 (2012-2013), dir. Jay Olivia

Apologies for them being out of order.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ooooh this sounds like fun~

As a cartoonist and on again off again animator this is right up my alley.

• Kiki's Delivery Service (1989), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
  • FLCL (2000-2001), dir. Kazuya Tsurumaki (Does this count? I'm not quite sure)
  • Sex & Violence with Machspeed (2015), dir. Hiroyuki Imaishi
  • Lupin the Third: Mystery of Mamo (1978), dir. Sōji Yoshikawa
  • Lupin the Third: Legend of the Gold of Babylon (1985), dir. Seijun Suzuki & Shigetsugu Yoshida
  • Fleischer Studios: Swing You Sinners! (1930), dir. Dave Fleischer
  • Fleischer Studios: Bimbo's Initiation (1931), dir. Dave Fleischer
  • Fleischer Studios: Minnie the Moocher (1932), dir. Dave Fleischer
  • Fleischer Studios: The Old Man of the Mountain (1933), dir. Dave Fleischer
  • Gertie the Dinosaur (1914), dir. Winsor McCay
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: The Mechanical Cow (1927), dir. Walt Disney
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: Great Guns! (1927), dir. Walt Disney
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: Ozzie of the Mounted (1928), dir. Walt Disney
  • Oswald the Lucky Rabbit: Oh, what a Knight (1928), dir. Walt Disney
  • Felix the Cat: Feline Follies (1919), dir. Otto Messmer
  • Felix the Cat: Felix in Hollywood (1923), dir. Otto Messmer
  • Felix the Cat: Felix Finds Out (1924), dir. Otto Messmer
  • Andy Panda: Knock Knock (1940), dir. Walter Lantz or Alex Lovy
  • Woody Woodpecker (1941), dir. Walter Lantz
  • Woody Woodpecker: The Barber of Seville (1944), dir. James Culhane
  • Woody Woodpecker: Wet Blanket Policy (1948), dir. Dick Lundy
  • Woody Woodpecker: Wild and Woody! (1948), dir. Dick Lundy
  • Woody Woodpecker: Drooler's Delight (1949), dir. Dick Lundy
  • Chilly Willy: I'm Cold (1954), dir. Tex Avery
  • Chilly Willy: The Legend of Rockabye Point (1955), dir. Tex Avery
  • Crazy Mixed Up Pup (1955), dir. Tex Avery
  • Sh-h-h-h-h-h (1955), dir. Tex Avery
  • Blitz Wolf (1942), dir. Tex Avery
  • Red Hot Riding Hood (1943), dir. Tex Avery
  • Who Killed Who? (1943), dir. Tex Avery
  • Screwball Squirrel (1944), dir. Tex Avery
  • Jerky Turkey (1945), dir. Tex Avery
  • Doggone Tired (1949), dir. Tex Avery
  • Ventriloquist Cat (1950), dir. Tex Avery
  • Droopy: Dumb-Hounded (1943), dir. Tex Avery
  • Droopy: Northwest Hounded Police (1946), dir. Tex Avery
  • Droopy: Wags to Riches (1949), dir. Tex Avery
  • Droopy: Deputy Droopy (1955), dir. Tex Avery
  • It's a Grand Old Nag (1947), Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Porky's Duck Hunt (1937), dir. Tex Avery
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Daffy Duck & Egghead (1938), dir. Tex Avery
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: A Wild Hare (1940), dir. Tex Avery
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Tortoise Beats Hare (1941), dir. Tex Avery
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Heckling Hare (1941), dir. Tex Avery
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Porky in Wackyland (1938), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Daffy Doc (1938), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Polar Pals (1939), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Wise Quacks (1939), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Wacky Wabbit (1942), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Bugs Bunny Gets the Boid (1942), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: A Tale of Two Kitties (1942), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943), dir. Bob Clampett (fair warning about this one, it contains and is all about African American stereotypes, so if you're uncomfortable seeing those you may want to skip this one. The only reason this is on here is cause it has some phenomenal character animation)
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Tortoise Wins by a Hare (1943), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Wise Quacking Duck (1943), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: A Corny Concerto (1943), dir Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Falling Hare (1943), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: What's Cookin' Doc? (1944), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Russian Rhapsody (1944), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Hare Ribbin' (1944), dir. Bob Clampett (watch the director's cut ending)
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Birdy and the Beast (1944), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Buckaroo Bugs (1944), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Old Grey Hare (1944), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Draftee Daffy (1945), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: A Gruesome Twosome (1945), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Book Revue (1946), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Baby Bottleneck (1946), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Kitty Kornered (1946), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Great Piggy Bank Robbery (1946), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Big Snooze: (1946), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Porky Pig's Feat (1943), dir. Frank Tashlin
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Scrap Happy Daffy (1943), dir. Frank Tashlin
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Nasty Quacks (1945), dir. Frank Tashlin
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Dover Boys (1942), dir. Chuck Jones
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Case of the Missing Hare (1942), dir. Chuck Jones
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: The Aristo-Cat (1943), dir. Chuck Jones
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Wackiki Wabbit (1943), dir. Chuck Jones
  • Tales of Worm Paranoia (1997), dir. Eddie Fitzgerald
  • Watership Down (1978), dir. Martin Rosen & John Hubley

Here's some fantastic ones off the top of my head. Also sorry for filling it with a ton of Bob Clampett cartoons but I absolutely adore his work and he's a giant inspiration to me. He always gets overshadowed by Chuck Jones, even though Clampett is way better than him  and I feel like more people should check out his stuff

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 21:28 - 9/APRIL/2017.

Thanks to everyone who's given suggestion already! Keep posting, and I'll keep updating! I'll likely answer questions tomorrow!

Out of curiosity is there any reason why some of the suggestions got picked and not others? I'm just curious about what the qualifications for something being on the list are.

51 minutes ago, Nightly said:

Out of curiosity is there any reason why some of the suggestions got picked and not others? I'm just curious about what the qualifications for something being on the list are.

I probably should've clarified this earlier, but my plan is to include the rest of your mentions with the next update. There was simply so many to include from just the replies in the three forums I've posted this in, that I felt I'd update the list with the films and solo sorts first, then include the rest later on. My apologies if it came off like I was being arbitrary (well, more arbitrary) in choosing what was going in the list.

On that note, I'm just gathering as much material as possible into the list, and will only start cutting down when I feel like there's no more ground to cover (which will likely take longer than I initially believe). I'll answer a couple more questions tomorrow, but I figured I'd clear things up while I had the chance. Sorry again about that, but I hope this reply helps.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah k, thanks for clarifying. ^^

Also I just remembered two other suggestions I was gonna add but forgot about.

• Jitterbug Follies (1939), dir. Milt Gross
  • Wanted: No Master (1939), dir. Milt Gross

These are two cartoons by comic strip cartoonist Milt Gross and they really bring to life the craziness of his comics . 

I don't think it'd hurt to embed these here if anyone wants to watch them. Fair warning though, they both contain some old racial stereotypes, especially Wanted: No Master. If you can look past that though these are both really fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here are some recommendations.

• The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926), dir. Lotte Reiniger, Carl Koch
  • The Tale of the Fox (1937), dir. Ladislas Starevich, Irene Starevich
  • Gumbasia (1953), dir. Art Clokey
  • Animal Farm (1954), dir. Joy Batchelor, John Halas
  • The Beatles: Yellow Submarine (1968), dir. George Dunning
  • Hedgehog of the Fog (1975), dir. Yuriy Borisovich Norshteyn
  • The Snowman (1982), dir. Dianne Jackson
  • Nausicaa of The Valley of the Wind (1984), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
  • When the Wind Blows (1986), dir. Jimmy Murakami
  • Transformers the Movie (1986), dir. Nelson Shin
  • Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA (1993), dir. Hiroyuki Kitakubo
  • Street Fighter 2 The Animated Movie (1994), dir. Gisaburō Sugii
  • The Wind in the Willows (1995), dir. Dave Unwin
  • Cats Don't Dance (1996), dir. Mark Dinal
  • Harvie Krumpet (2003), dir. Adam Eliot
  • Persepolis (2007), dir. Vincent Paronnaud, Marjane Satarapi
  • Waltz with Bashir (2008), dir. Ari Folman
  • The Blackwater Gospel (2011), dir. Bo Mathorne
  • The Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut (2013), dir. Richard Williams

Also, are we allowed to put in certain episodes of a series on the list?

Edited by AxelPrime

I'm really liking some of the choices added since this morning. I'm ashamed of myself for not suggesting Fantastic Mr. Fox earlier (if you ask me this is what Zootopia should have been). Here's a few more for the list:

• ParaNorman (2012), dir. Chris Butler & Sam Fell
  • It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966), dir. Bill Melendez
  • A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), dir. Bill Melendez
  • The Rescuers Down Under (1990), dir. Hendel Butoy & Mike Gabriel
  • The Great Mouse Detective (1986), dir. Ron Clements, Burny Mattinson, Dave Michener, & John Musker
  • Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001), dir. Gary Trousdale & Kirk Wise
  • Treasure Planet (2002), dir. Ron Clements & Jon Musker
  • How to Train Your Dragon (2010), dir. Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois
  • How to Train Your Dragon 2 (2014), dir. Dean DeBlois
  • Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (1964), dir. Larry Roemer & Kizo Nagashima
  • Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town (1970), dir. Arther Rankin Jr. & Jules Bass

A lot of Disney films this time, but I guess that's to be expected for this list like this. And why not add Sonic the Hedgehog OVA (1996), dir. Kazunori Ikegami and Man of the Year (1997), dir. Unknown to make it more somewhat relevant to the forum we're in?

Alright, time to answer some questions!

7 hours ago, AxelPrime said:

Also, are we allowed to put in certain episodes of a series on the list?

I'm sorry to say, but no. Considering how many episodes some shows have (and how many of those episodes can be considered to be classics), it would likely expand the size of the list tenfold. Besides, it would become somewhat nightmarish trying to compare a TV episode to a film after a while (and before people point out how the list includes shorts from the likes of Tom and Jerry or Looney Tunes, those were made as short films first, and then were then bundled together into syndicated TV shows - which is why people occasionally refer to the shorts as 'episodes').

I might consider doing something about TV shows somewhere down along the line, but's stick with the animated films for now and see where that goes. Thanks for asking.

15 hours ago, Nightly said:

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs (1943), dir. Bob Clampett (fair warning about this one, it contains and is all about African American stereotypes, so if you're uncomfortable seeing those you may want to skip this one. The only reason this is on here is cause it has some phenomenal character animation)

This isn't so much a question, but it did get me thinking about whether to include it or not. The idea behind this project is to show off many different aspects of animation, and part of me believes that even the stupid, racist aspect deserves some recognition - even if that recognition is just "it was a stupid thing people did for a while". I understand that it will make people uncomfortable, and I wouldn't want to do that, but what about the US propaganda shorts that are featured in the list? Propaganda's a deeply uncomfortable subject for a lot of people for numerous reasons, but it can still make for some great film that maybe even changes the medium in some way (there's a particular live-action film that I won't mention, since it's as obvious as the noon-day sun in the Sahara), so why should I leave out one type of uncomfortable animation while leaving in another?

This isn't a definitive answer, by the by. This is simply the thought process I have at the moment, and I'll try asking a few people what they think on the matter. However, I want to thank you for giving me pause for thought, and I hope whatever conclusion I come to will help create a stronger final result. I really do appreciate it.

---

And with that, I'll be off to log more entries - the list will likely get updated sometime tomorrow (and it's gonna be a big update, believe me). Thank you all again for your contributions, and I hope you have a great day!

Jim McGrath/FrDougal9000

• Thumbs Up 1

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 12:11 - 11/APRIL/2017.

Holy shit, I did not expect the list to be filled with so many films! To give you a comparison, the total number of films in the last update (only two days ago) was 128. Now, the total number of films is 276! It's more than double what the previous update what, and we're already over 250 films in just three to four days!

I can't thank everyone who's given recommendations, asked questions or given feedback enough! Seriously, that's incredible, and you guys are the best! Please keep contributing to this project, and I'll post the next update in a couple of days (I might need a rest after all this initial logging). Thank you so much, and have a great day!

Just remembered a few other good shorts.

• Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: You Ought to Be in Pictures (1940), dir. Friz Freleng
  • Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies: Rhapsody Rabbit (1946), dir. Friz Freleng
  • Tom & Jerry: The Cat Concerto (1947), dir. William Hanna & Joseph Barbera
  • The Tell-Tale Heart (1953), dir. Ted Parmelee
  • The Big Snit (1985), dir. Richard Condie
  • The Cat Came Back (1988), dir. Cordell Barker

You Ought To Be In Pictures

Rhapsody Rabbit

The Cat Concerto

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 17:09 - 14/APRIL/2017.

IN ADDITION, A SHORT Q&A SECTION HAS BEEN ADDED TO CLEAR UP QUESTIONS OR DETAILS THAT I NEGLECTED TO EXPLAIN EARLIER ON.

Once again, I cannot thank everyone who's contributed to this enough, even if I had a hundred corgis to give to you all. Your suggestions are encouraging me to check out more animated fare I might have otherwise ignored, and it's giving me more determination towards getting somewhere with this project. Thank you all so much.

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask you all a question in relation to the list - do you think we should include TV episodes in the list? I know I initially said no to that idea, but the more I think about it, the more I wonder if I'm just being arbitrary. I'll post the best argument I've heard towards including them, and let y'all decide what would work best.

"It feels like it would be a shame to exclude works of animation just because they happened to be released as part of a serialized television program. How much do the circumstances under which something was released ultimately matter as far as inclusion goes? Must it be theatrical? What about video-only? Internet-only? If both very short, odd films by auteurs AND jumbo-sized extravaganzas produced by thousands of people are prime for inclusion, what really makes serialized TV animation different? I'm not seeing any possible criterion other than "time required to view may be significant".

Granted, total run-time could well be a good reason in and of itself. Perhaps, similar to how massive series such as Merry Melodies will be ultimately represented by a select number, some of the stand-out TV animation could be similarly represented? For instance, you'll find particular episodes of Adventure Time that exhibit the show's willingness to occasionally experiment with technique, aesthetic, and format."

If you could help me out with this, I'd really appreciate that. Thank you once again, keep contributing to this project, and have a great day.

While I don't think that TV show episodes should really be considered "films", some of them are also just as important to animation and worthwhile as many films and shorts are. I think they're well worth including as long as they follow the same 5 for every 50 rule that animated shorts do.

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 23:52 - 18/APRIL/2017.

This update comes with a possibly substantial change to the rules: you can now suggest episodes for TV shows. After much thinking about it, discussing it with you guys and with people elsewhere, I've decided to include TV episodes into the list. However, like with the animated shorts, only five for every fifty will be included in the final list in order to prevent the possibility of overcrowding (and that's the maximum, whereas the reality will only have one or two episodes per show being included).

Once again, an incredible amount of thanks goes out to everyone involved for their suggestions and feedback. I want this project to be as good as it can possibly be, and the reception so far is going a long way towards ensuring that becomes a reality. Thank you all. Keep on contributing. Have a great day.

Here's some more suggestions off the top of my head.

• Lupin III Part II: Wings of Death - Albatross (1980), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
  • Lupin III Part II: Farewell My Beloved Lupin (1980), dir. Hayao Miyazaki
  • Lupin III Part III: In a Panic over the Treasure (1985), dir. Takashi Sogabe
  • Osomatsu-Kun: I've Had Enough of Fortune Tellers! (1988), dir. Hidehito Ueda
  • Ren & Stimpy: Big House Blues (1990), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention (1992), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • Ren & Stimpy: Svën Höek (1992), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • Ren & Stimpy: Son of Stimpy (1993), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • Ren & Stimpy: Man's Best Friend (2003), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • Ren & Stimpy "Adult Party Cartoon": Ren Seeks Help (2003), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • Short Orders (1995), dir. Pat Ventura
  • Boo Boo Runs Wild (1999), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • A Day in the Life of Ranger Smith (1999), dir. John Kricfalusi
  • FLCL: Fooly Cooly (2000), dir. Kazuya Tsurumaki
  • FLCL: Fire Starter (2000), dir. Ken Andô, Kazuya Tsurumaki
  • FLCL: Marquis de Carabas (2000), dir. Shôji Saeki, Kazuya Tsurumaki
  • FLCL: Brittle Bullet (2000), dir. Shôji Saeki, Kazuya Tsurumaki
  • FLCL: FLCLimax (2001), dir. Masahiko Ôtsuka, Kazuya Tsurumaki
  • Nichijou: Episode 6 (2011), dir. Yoshiji Kigami
  • Nichijou: Episode 8 (2011), dir. Yasuhiro Takemoto
  • Nichijou: Episode 16 (2011), dir. Yasuhiro Takemoto
  • Nichijou: Episode 20 (2011), dir. Yoshiji Kigami
  • Wander Over Yonder: The Picnic (2013), dir. Eddie Trigueros
  • Wander Over Yonder: The Box (2013), dir. Dave Thomas
  • Wander Over Yonder: The Void (2014), dir. Dave Thomas
  • Wander Over Yonder: The Breakfast (2015), dir. Dave Thomas
  • Wander Over Yonder: My Fair Hatey (2016), dir. Dave Thomas, Eddie Trigueros, & Justin Nichols
  • Little Witch Academia: Don't Stop Me Now (2017), dir. Keisuke Shinohara
  • Little Witch Academia: Sleeping Sucy (2017), dir. Makoto Nakazono
  • Little Witch Academia: What You Will (2017), (I can't find any info on who directed this one atm)

There's a couple other episodes of shows that I think are worthwhile such as Kill la Kill, but I'll have to rewatch em again to pick out the really good ones. Also honestly all 6 episodes of FLCL are fantastic and worth watching, but to fit it into the requirements I had to cut one out.

I've been thinking about it for a while, and I think this would actually belong in Showcase more than Chit-Chat considering there isn't really much discussion going on; the point is the end result of a great list. In fact, we don't really allow "list threads" due to the fact that they don't generate much actual conversation, but this seems like a special case with actual effort put into it, so I'd certainly rather move it to Showcase than shut it down.

Honestly, I'm quite impressed with the progress you made so far. Hope the finished product turns out as awesome as it's looking so far!

Anyway, it's not much so far, but there's some things I'd like to add myself. Hopefully I'll be able to think of some more.

First, some excellent, really funny Porky Pig cartoons.

• Looney Tunes: Get Rich Quick Porky (1937), dir. Bob Clampett
  • Looney Tunes: Porky's Railroad (1937), dir. Frank Tashlin
  • Looney Tunes: Porky's Garden (1937), dir. Tex Avery
  • Looney Tunes: Ali Baba Bound (1940), dir Bob Clampett (possibly a little racist, though it's mild)

I would also like to nominate Merrie Melodies: Prest-O Change-O (1939), dir. Chuck Jones, one of the first appearances of the "prototype" Bugs Bunny.

There will probably be a lot more of these from me in the future =P

As far as TV episodes go, I'd definitely recommend some from Batman: The Animated Series...for now, the main one I'm thinking of is Feat of Clay (Parts 1 and 2). That just blew my mind, to be honest. It's really, really excellent. Dark and disturbing in a very artful way.

One more thing for now...Bee Movie (2007). Not kidding either, I honestly think it's worth watching.

I'm really pleased to see the Fleischer Superman cartoons and Porky Pig's Feat were already suggested and added =)

I'll probably come back with some Spectacular Spider-Man episodes at some point.

• Thumbs Up 1

Gorillaz: Saturnz Barz (Spirit House) (2017), dir. Jamie Hewlett

Metallica: Murder One (2016), dir. Robert Valley

just two animated music videos

I'm biased of course, but I'd absolutely suggest putting Inside Out (2015, Pete Docter) on the list.

While it covers all the basics of generally being a good film with likeable characters, engaging plot and good humour it's also, in my eyes one of the most creatively clever animated films to come out of the 2010's so far. The way they managed to not only visualise human emotions, but also characterise them so well as to be able to stand alongside all the other classic Pixar characters is absolutely amazing. It's even had a positive change on how we can try to understand each other's feelings with some child psychiatrists even making use of pictures or figures of the characters to allow kids to more easily explain how they're feeling.

I think it's one of those films that truly is as equally intended for adults (more so arguably) as it is for children.

I may think of more later

-The Snowman (1982) dir. Diana Jackson

-Ernest & Celestine (2012) dir. Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, Benjamin Renner
-The Bear (1998) dir. Hilary Audus
-Summer Wars (2009) dir. Mamoru Hosoda
-The Land Before Time (1988) dir. Don Bluth
-The Wrong Trousers (1993) dir. Nick Park
-A Close Shave (1995) dir. Nick Park
-Chicken Run (2000) dir. Peter Lord, Nick Park
-Coraline (2009) dir. Henry Selick
-Spirited Away (2001) dir. Hayao Miyazaki
-Grave of the Fireflies (1988) dir. Isao Takahata
-Father and Daughter (2000) dir. Michaël Dudok de Wit
-All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989) dir. Don Bluth
-Anastasia (1998) dir. Don Bluth, Gary Goldman
-Prince of Egypt (1998) dir. Brenda Chapman, Steve Hickner, Simon Wells
-Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011) dir. Jennifer Yuh Nelson

LIST HAS BEEN UPDATED WITH SUGGESTIONS FROM DK VINE, EVAGEEKS AND SONIC STADIUM MESSAGE BOARDS, AS OF 09:50 - 23/APRIL/2017.

Once more, I can't thank everyone enough for their contributions, suggestions and feedback. We're literally one film away from 450 films, which is both insane and incredible at the same time. At the same time, it's encouraged me to go check out a lot more animated films than I normally would have otherwise, so thank you for inspiring me to watch some of the awesome films in the list. For this update, however, in response to the allowing of TV episodes, I have this point to make (as made on a forum elsewhere).

A CLARIFICATION ON WHAT TV EPISODES TO ALLOW:

A few people were asking how TV episodes are counted; do they suggest stand-out episodes of mediocre shows, do they represent shows through an episode, what episodes to suggest, etc. It's naturally going to cause a lot of confusion and could easily lead to the kind of argument-inducing nonsense that had me not include TV episodes at first. So, what kind of TV episodes will count?

The idea I think I had in mind (that again, I probably should have communicated better) was to list TV episodes that either did something unique in its production or had a massive impact on the medium in some way. It wasn't to list the best written/fan favourite episodes of a series, or to represent a show through it being listed, but to show individual episodes that could be seen as just as valid as short films for what they tried to do.

I'll use the TV episodes I've included myself as an example.

Cowboy Bebop: Pierrot Le Fou was chosen primarily for it being one of two episodes in a cel-animated series to be entirely digitally animated, and how this allows for previously undoable camerawork (the shaky cam, for instance), a greater blend between 2D animation and 3D animation, and so on. Bebop is a series mostly full of self-contained episodes, but I chose Pierrot in particular for disproving the age old myth that digital animation is automatically worse than cel animation - and back in 1998, at that!

Batman TAS: Two Face - Part 1 comes from a show I normally can't stand, but I feel I have to include for the fantastic animation provided by TMS. Yes, arguably Feet of Clay Part II (also animated by TMS) had better animation, but was held back by having to adhere to a dull script. Here, the animation is used to enhance a decent story through great character expressions, and well storyboarded shots that have come to define the episode visually. Could that final shot of Two-Face being revealed with the lightning have been anywhere near as effective if left to an inferior studio like Dong Yang (who handled Part II, which suffers greatly for that)? I think not.

Adventure Time: Food Chain is completely unlike the rest of the series in terms of visuals and storytelling, owing to it being directed by Masaaki Yuasa. It makes for a stylistically unique episode worth checking out, and one that chooses to convey a message mainly through its animation, transitions and music.

The Evangelion episodes I picked (4, 16, 22' and 25) were for how they would go for psychoanalytical sequences that used the medium of animation to get its point across, or would completely disregard the plot to focus on the characters' minds, or being completely different from what came before (4 has no background music beyond what's on the radio).

There's a lot of people who believe that for a film to be good, it just needs good writing and acting, and that perception doubles for TV shows. I can't tell you how many otherwise well written TV episodes I've watched that were marred by shoddy animation, boring storyboarding, or are told in an uninteresting way (especially for shows like The Simpsons, South Park or Batman TAS).

I want to avert this by only counting episodes that have fantastic production values, are stylistically unique, do something that has never been done before, or go on to impact the industry in some way. I hope this helps you guys suggest interesting TV episodes.

Either way, keep on suggesting, contributing and giving feedback, and I'll do what I can to keep improving what I can. Thanks once again, and have a great day.

• Thumbs Up 2