Awoo.

Layton's Mystery Journey (3DS/iOS/Android)

Klinsy

So she has of a bit, I guess wacky side. Eh it's better than her brother's personality since he would threaten to cut people's tongues out just to shut them up. Hmm... though now that I think about it, Alfendi actually manages to pick up on absurd clues as well that turn out to be correct in his game. I'm guessing this is something that both of them inherited from Layton.

I also wonder who their mother is, it might be possible that just like Flora, Layton adopted them since they don't really share any similar traits with Layton and with how different the two siblings are, I doubt they could have gotten features from the same mother. Also I doubt Layton would even marry considering how much he loved Claire. I know some people are hoping that it reveals their mother to be Emmy, but I don't think that's the case since neither Alfendi nor Kat seem to have any traits similar to Emmy.

1 hour ago, dwibs93 said:

My issue with the series as a whole is that, for the most part it relies on logic to build up the solving of the mystery and its tone is mostly down to earth, but then at the end, the revelation is so out there and the tone turns to absurd mode, it kinda feels out of place. Not to mention I think Hino just isn't good at trying to balance wackiness with down-to-earthiness, and is better at having one consistent tone all the way through (Yo-Kai Watch, for example).

It's mostly for the original trilogy, the prequel ones did dial down on the wackiness which I appreciated, only for the crossover to bring the "out there-iness" back with a vengeance and helped to really cripple that game's story near the end.

But, I am confident that whoever is writing this one (I'm guessing Hino and the writing staff) will have learned from the previous mistakes the other game's made.

To quote Eddie from ep 43 of Yo-Kai Watch: "Solving a mystery with a reasoning full of holes is amazing".

Hino is aware, he just finds it more fun this way. And so do alot of fans including Ntom from Hellfirecomms. We know its flawed but we just roll with it as long as its fun.

But I do agree that this game should resemble the prequels more than the originals.

I'm not sure about this talking dog. Hopefully it's a robot or something. I could be forgetting something, but while Layton did get weird at times, fantastical or super natural things were generally explained as bull shit. Would be kind of disappointed if they dropped that, just so the anime girl could have her cute animal partner.

I was just concocting a handwave theory for that, but then I remembered that the valet-looking chap in the trailer also replies directly to the dog at one point in a context which indicates that he understands it.  Okay, my new handwave solution is that Luke taught the dog to speak to humans.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'm not sure about this talking dog. Hopefully it's a robot or something. I could be forgetting something, but while Layton did get weird at times, fantastical or super natural things were generally explained as bull shit. Would be kind of disappointed if they dropped that, just so the anime girl could have her cute animal partner.

1 minute ago, FFWF said:

I was just concocting a handwave theory for that, but then I remembered that the valet-looking chap in the trailer also replies directly to the dog at one point in a context which indicates that he understands it.  Okay, my new handwave solution is that Luke taught the dog to speak to humans.

You guys are forgetting something: There were talking animals in Layton 3, this is not without precedent.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, pppp said:

You guys are forgetting something: There were talking animals in Layton 3, this is not without precedent.

Ah,  so a descendant of one of the experiments. 

So from that subbed trailer(Thanks Bolt2nd), it looks like this game will be more comedic and self aware than the original series, which I'm sure will please alot of people that complain about the supernatural elements in the original trilogy.

I just hope they remember to still have alot of great character development and suspenseful storytelling, Level-5 already has Snack World and Yo-Kai Watch for wacky comedy.

So Level-5 uploaded the actual on stage presentation:

Apparently the game will be dedicated to the recently deceased Akira Tago, the Puzzle Master that lead the puzzle design of the previous games. Really bittersweet to see those photos of him and Hino having fun.

• 5 months later...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-13-next-mainline-professor-layton-game-due-in-july-on-ios-and-android

A brand new Layton game, Layton's Mystery Journey, will release on July 20th 2017 (3DS in Japan only at present, worldwide on iOS and Android).

It'll have a new protagonist, Katrielle Layton (Hershel's daughter) and be a more comedic take on the series, yet still having the traditional puzzle-solving gameplay.

• 2 months later...

So there's a new japanese TV spot:

Here's an interesting screen from it:

layton.thumb.jpg.6ade56834ac9ed7436e3a329dea7b4f6.jpg

I look forward to see the payoff of when she finds him.

On 6/17/2017 at 9:10 AM, pppp said:

So there's a new japanese TV spot:

Here's an interesting screen from it:

layton.thumb.jpg.6ade56834ac9ed7436e3a329dea7b4f6.jpg

I look forward to see the payoff of when she finds him.

And then it'll be a spectacular lead-in to Trucy Wright and Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney vs Lady Layton: Battle of the Generations! :D

RPGFan.com released the english dubbed trailer:

Seems pretty good so far I'd say.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the answer to those that wanted to know about why the dog talks, it's a mystery that Kat needs to solve: