Awoo.

Kirby's 25th Anniversary (Star Allies: Wave 3 DLC Update)

Sonictrainer

I was hoping those were just for the demo, but Nintendo Life have been showing some co-op from the full game and they're still there. Doesn't bother me too much as its only around five seconds or less, but it might get a bit annoying if the doors are close by each other.

The music is great to listen to, I'll give it that. There seems to be an orchestral flair to it that really comes out with the imrpoved sound of the Switch.

More official Artwork from the US site

switcher-character-4.png

Cleaning Kirby

switcher-character-1.png

Spider Kirby

switcher-character-3.png

Staff Kirby

switcher-character-2.png

Festival Kirby

40699081601_b16a9d9a04_b.jpg

In today's Nintendo Direct, it was revealed that Copy Ability Enemies aren't the only Allies Kirby can make in Star Allies.

These special Allies are called Dream Allies.

In #KirbyStarAllies releasing 3/16 for #NintendoSwitch, you’ll reach dream palaces where even fan-favorite legacy characters can become Kirby’s Dream Friends! More Dream Friends will also be added to #KirbyStarAllies via free updates after launch. The first update releases 3/28 and will include: Rick & Kine & Coo, Marx, and Gooey!

Here's some awesome pictures, thanks to GoNintendo's Flickr Account 

39988685614_790c091f57_b.jpg39988685664_be4d59301d_b.jpg39988685764_8529d29e43_b.jpg39988685854_9c7a714225_b.jpg39988685874_a26dca756c_b.jpg39988685904_0d4177921f_b.jpg

• Nice Smile 1

Kirby working alongside Marx.

Now THAT'S something I never thought I'd see. Love it.

• Thumbs Up 3

Marx is a Dream Ally

MY BOY MARX IS BACK AND HE'S A GOOD GUY NOW

Kirby never fails with bringing the fanservice and holy crap I don't see them slowing down with the possibilities of Dream Allies. Who could be next? Magolor? Ado? Taranza? Doroach? Maybe...maybe certain characters from the anime? 

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/13/2017 at 8:02 PM, Zippo said:

DJo5Fb7WsAEpOH3?format=png

wut

Okay,  seriously,  I must've missed the boat on whatever the heck is up with this muscular DeDeDE.

Dedede been brainwashed (nothing new) but this time by these purple hearts that came from space and crash-landed all across Planet Popstar. Meta Knight befell the same fate when you fight him as a boss. 

After the last direct and the japanese overview video, I'm officially sold on this game. All aboard the hype train!

c83fmvsjkg901.png

So just finished the first two worlds and well.... I'm disappointed so far.  the level design has been simplified compared to the last three games and all the collectibles are insultingly easy to find. The rooms for switches or extra stages and puzzle rooms involve the most basic of puzzles and youre told which abilities you need to clear the room. The bosses have been downgraded too, the ones i foughtcould all be defeated in a minute or less and they lack  any real challenge. This game reminds me of Forces, its not as bad, but its also the fourth game following a sucessful formula but manages to downgrade everything that made the last few games enjoyabke.

It's definitely a step down from the previous few games, but I still think it's a lot of fun. The hardest thing for me to get used to was learning how to handle the "ally" aspect, but once you get the hang of it, there are so many strategies you can employ to take out enemies.

• Thumbs Up 1

Finished Star Allies a few days ago, and having gathered my thoughts on it (there may be slight spoilers - at least for the number of worlds in the game)

I really honestly don't know how to feel. Kirby has always been a weird series for me. I usually always end up having a bit of a boring start and not being very invested until a few levels in and to be absolutely fair - it was the same for Planet Robobot before I end up usually having a ton of fun here.

And that did happen here. I had fun with Star Allies, but to say it's lacking of quality in terms of Robobot? Oh most definitely. There's a lot of design flaws here I have to wonder just what on Earth happened. Unless there's a lot of hidden abilities - Kirby's abilities felt far too limited this time around with not a huge selection, and some of my personal favourites like UFO and Wheel being gone completely here. There's loading screens between doors in levels, something that's never been in a Kirby game before to my knowledge and it destroys a bit of the pacing of levels. Not to mention the limited framerate.

I don't know how to feel from a technical level, it feels like while the game is the same great Kirby you love and expect - it's focused too hard on the allies mechanic and was ultimately rushed out the door a bit - especially given that there's only four worlds compared to the usual 6/7 in Kirby games and Star Allies' levels are around standard length for a Kirby game. And even while World 4 technically has more levels than other levels, there's a great deal of filler including having to go and refight the majority of the bosses bar two exceptions.

I didn't find the allies that engaging or fun. It was cool having my abilities be mixed up and I liked the return of Return to Dreamland's co-op but on the other hand, there's a severe disappointing lack of modes (I feel utterly gutted that there's no Meta Nightmare mode, and while technically there's a mode like it, I don't think it's as good or developed as Meta Nightmare is). What is there is easier compared to previous games in the series and the sub-games aren't a lot to write home about in my opinion.

There is a ton of fun to be had here. It is a Kirby game, unless it's a total format change - it will be fun, but there's so many issues with Star Allies, especially compared to Robobot which had more worlds, more levels, more modes, more sub-games, and on top of that - (in my opinion) better gimmick (Robobot Armour is probably one of the few gimmicks I actually really enjoyed in a game). 

Maybe I need to replay it, I don't know, but I ended up starting a Kirby binge to play through some of the games i hadn't played before, or have finished but haven't played in a long time - that line up including Nightmare in Dreamland, Squeak Squad, Return to Dreamland, Amazing Mirror, and Triple Deluxe so maybe I'll be able to better describe my opinion on the game then. In the end, it's a fun game, definitely, but it's flawed hard and there's a lot of technical quirks to it that seem to imply a slight rush job, which is a bit more disappointing compared to Odyssey and BOTW last year.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 12:59 PM, mayday2592 said:

The rooms for switches or extra stages and puzzle rooms involve the most basic of puzzles and youre told which abilities you need to clear the room.

You can turn the hints off in the options menu, but the abilities you need are always close by...

Spoiler

I wasn't expecting the scale of the adventure to shift so dramatically. You start in Dreamland, then move up to traveling all of Popstar and eventually an entire Galaxy. Perhaps it would've been better if they built up to that a little slower though, it felt strange having so few worlds in a Kirby game.

Even though you can mix abilities, it doesn't seem as varied as Kirby 64 was, at least to me. 

On a side note, art is featured an awful lot in Kirby games.

0918299234106125d3cf2d075d77507f.png

• Thumbs Up 2

The mixed abilities were  mostly underwhelming TBH. The elemental weapons werent all that exciting and some of them like the TK/Stone combo or Art/Stone combo were useless.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of mixed abilities - here's a tip. Bo-Staff + Fire is absolutely broken.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a Japanese Character trailer for the Dream Land 2 Trio & Marx.

I kind of wish they were separated but it's a minor complaint.

All of Marx's elementals attacks are this Boss techniques. (He seems a little broken)

• My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

Well, we have trailers for the trio and one of Marx, so I figured I'd link one of the last guy mentioned in this batch. Gooey.

He can literally give the enemy a tongue lashing.

I'll probably end up using these new characters, I still feel compelled to play the game despite already doing most of it. Just got to find the random blue puzzle pieces to complete the rest of the pictures and succeed at the hardiest boss rush difficulty. Not sure how much I'm willing to do. This title isn't as fun as past Kirby games and feels shorter too.

I hadn't noticed until it was pointed out in a youtube video, but a yellow and red butterfly has been appearing in cut-scenes since at least the Wii title, Kirby's Return to Dream Land/Kirby's Adventure.

I'll link the video in question but be warned. It's one of those videos that has a spoiler on the thumbnail preview, before playing it, bit...the spoiler is about a secret boss in Star Allies, so be careful if you don't wish to see it.

Spoiler

• Thumbs Up 1

@DanJ86

Spoiler

Most of those cutscenes just so happen to feature a single butterfly in them, all most likely the same. 

The problem is, in Robobot's ending with Dedede, there are three butterflies. Only one of them is given focus over the others, so maybe that one is the only one that can become "reborn/morphed."

• Thumbs Up 2

Marx was so wonderfully executed in this game. 

Anyway, I finished this game a few days ago. Fun time, but the lack of challenge is pretty disappointing. I know Kirby games have never been known for their crushing difficulty, but they have always offered some sort of optional challenge in there for people who wanted it. None of the extra modes in this game really do it for me.

On 4/1/2018 at 11:19 AM, Tito Lounge said:

Marx was so wonderfully executed in this game. 

Anyway, I finished this game a few days ago. Fun time, but the lack of challenge is pretty disappointing. I know Kirby games have never been known for their crushing difficulty, but they have always offered some sort of optional challenge in there for people who wanted it. None of the extra modes in this game really do it for me.

Soul Melter didn't do it for ya?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 9:56 PM, PC the Hedgehog said:

Soul Melter didn't do it for ya?

Minus the last phase of the final boss, no, not really. I beat it on my second attempt using Hammer, RK&C, Chef, and some other ability that I fail to remember. It was a fun time, though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The next waves of Dream Friends DLC has been revealed in a datamine.

Spoiler

Wave 2

• Adeleine (Kirby 64)
  • Dark Meta Knight (Kirby's Amazing Mirror)
  • Daroach (Kirby's Squeak Squad)

Wave 3

• Magolor (Kirby's Return to Dreamland)
  • Taranza (Kirby Triple Deluxe)
  • Susie (Kirby Planet Robobot)
  • ThreeMages (Francisca, Flamberge, and Zan Partizanne)

EDIT: Also, some concept art for the King Dedede Boss

DcsJkZcVAAEg05i.jpg:large

We’ve got some top secret #KirbyStarAllies concept art and it’s worth a look! King Dedede has got some really…impressive looking arms. The original idea to make his arms huge led to the macho King Dedede we know now!

DcsJzSwV0AANDf-.jpg

Here’s a rough sketch of King Dedede before his transformation. According to the designer, “I drew this to decide the design of his clothes - before he shreds through them during his transformation.” Attention to detail was key!

EDIT 2

Who's that Kirby character?

EDIT 3

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1