Awoo.

Sonic Forces- Classic GHZ Gameplay

Tracker_TD

Jumping on enemies doesn't cancel or cut Sonic's momentum, some people were quick to assume right there...he jumps on enemies multiple times without that happening.

So there's that. But it looks like Sonic is heavier and faster than in Generations, which is making his movement look jank when he decides to stop after bouncing on an enemy.

I just wish Sonic Team would try a bit harder with these types of things, so I don't have to feel like the odd one out when I end up liking it.

Eh. It doesn't look bad to me. But that's probably due to me not being into the Classics that much. I have a very untrained eye when it comes to level design.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

The fact the word cutesy is being used to defend it has me shaking my head

I mean I don't see the issue there honestly. I'd put something like Dessert Ruins Act 2 from Lost World in the same boat. I don't know, I could just as easily call it easygoing, playful, cheery whatever. Honestly I don't think the original Green Hill is far removed from it's tone.

I can see why this isn't to everybody's taste though, even those who are generally fine with this more innocent sounding songs. The instrumentation is definitely questionable I can't deny that.

• Thumbs Up 2

What the fuck is that music? It sounds bad.

See guys it's not Green Hill, it's got different music and sand, so it's different.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know, the music came off as placeholder-ish to me. It didn't start right away, for one thing.

The level itself looks bleh, though. Especially gameplay-wise.

That... wasn't bad. There's been better, but the Direct made it look much worse than it actually is.

Why the Direct decided to use the most automated sections in the level is beyond me.

4 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Oh boy, what am I in for...? ?

Remember Sonic 4?

There ya are.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

Remember Sonic 4?

There ya are.

I'm at the office.  just the way you said this had me laugh out

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Captain Fun said:

Eh, you shouldn't care about what other people think. Plenty of people will like the game and they don't have to justify it to anyone. Hell, I've been up and down and all around on it and I think at the end of the day I'll still have fun with it. 

Yeah, that's true. I suppose it's just a sensitivity issue on my part. I'll get over it eventually. Probably once I actually play the game.

I mean, I'm still looking forward to it, and I'm super curious about the 3rd style. Just gonna pray it's not a beat em up type thing. I liked the Werehog and all but no thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Radiant Hero Ike said:

I just wish Sonic Team would try a bit harder with these types of things, so I don't have to feel like the odd one out when I end up liking it.

I mean, if you like it good on you. The game will probably be fine overall and younger/less scrutinizing fans will like it. Us here are just kinda old and whiny tbh. I don't mind owning it and I feel bad kinda bringing down the discussion with it, but it's how I feel.

The classic gameplay looked sweet. I love the Sonic CD spin, the rolling, the speed. Much better than Generations classic Sonic

• Thumbs Up 1

My ears are bleeding. What's with that "cutesy" crap? I hope this is some kind of placeholder, cause this doesn't sound good at all. Sonic Mania blows it out of the fucking water.

In terms of gameplay and level design though, I think it's a great improvement over Sonic Generations!

• Thumbs Up 1

I have two issues.

One - the Sonic 4 music.

Two - The clustered and short stage design.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Josh said:

I mean, if you like it good on you. The game will probably be fine overall and younger/less scrutinizing fans will like it. Us here are just kinda old and whiny tbh. I don't mind owning it and I feel bad kinda bringing down the discussion with it, but it's how I feel.

Well I don't want you to feel bad, nor anyone else for that matter. All the criticism it's getting is justified I think. I don't want people to feel like they shouldn't say anything negative about it.

It's fine. I'm pretty much always like this with the initial negativity, and then I get very chill about it afterwards.

• Thumbs Up 2

*snort*

I mean, I hope the level design improves as the game progresses, but man this is not hopeful.

Modern Sonic is hold forward and mash "A" to win. Classic Sonic is hold right to win. Literally, like

it's not even noon here this is too early

• Thumbs Up 6

I just noticed something. The video calls it "Green Hill Zone" gameplay, but a few days ago I remember someone saying that it's "not Green Hill Zone".

Welp.

• Thumbs Up 5

My only criticism of Sonic Forces so far is just anything having to do with Classic Sonic. It was that way with the initial trailer, and it's the same now. When they show Sonic and he's overlooking the destroyed city and he starts running into battle, it's pure "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"... then Classic Sonic shows up and I'm like "Oh." I'm not like "AUUUUUUUUUGH" I'm just like "Oh".

Same with the gameplay. When they showed Sonic running through the city taking out robots along the way with the big robot in the background and all that it was like "OK, YEAH, THIS IS KINDA COOL". When they show Classic Sonic going through Green Hill Zone AGAIN, I'm just like "Oh." It does nothing for me.

Same with the music. They shared the instrumental version of the main theme (and the fact that it will have vocals) and I'm like "YESSS! FINALLY, A MAIN THEME SONG AGAIN, YESSSSSSS" and now we have this retro throwback thing and I'm just like "Oh". It's not earbleedingly terrible, it's just "Oh".

I can't wait to see what the third gameplay/character is, because right now we've got one side of this game that has me going "YEAAAAAAAAAAAH" and is creating excitement for me while the other part is just pure "eh". Hopefully we can get two YEAAAAAHs and one "Oh".

Actually wouldn't be too sad if Classic Sonic took a break after this 25th anniversary stuff.

• Thumbs Up 6

3 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

My ears are bleeding. What's with that "cutesy" crap? I hope this is some kind of placeholder, cause this doesn't sound good at all. Sonic Mania blows it out of the fucking water.

In terms of gameplay and level design though, I think it's a great improvement over Sonic Generations!

It's a SEGA of Japan product man, to them Classic Sonic has always been about being cute, not cool. That was more of a Western strategy.

You're going to see remarkable differences in how Classic is represented between Mania and Forces.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Josh said:

I remember when everyone here was complaining about Sonic 4 and people like Jim Sterling actively made fun of Sonic fans for it, so yeah, the opinions here are definitely skewed (although still definitely legitimate). :V

One thing I'll say, though, is that the dying cat thing is definitely played out. Like, really.