Awoo.

Sonic Forces- Classic GHZ Gameplay

Tracker_TD

1 minute ago, ProfessorZolo said:

...movement does seem rather stiff. Bouncing off the enemies (especially with that hilarious sound effect) in particular.

Again, bouncing on enemies doesn't cut Sonic's momentum. Stopping after hitting each Egg pawn on those small platforms looks intentional despite how jank Sonic's movement is.

He bounces on 3 enemies later in the video no problem and it looks fine because he doesn't stop moving.

I really didn't like the hidden springs placed before those small ledges, but then I noticed how much of your momentum they take from you. You'll only hit those springs if you don't jump for the ledge on your own in time, and the game punishes you for that.

But, dang, I really wish the springs weren't hidden.

Just now, StaticMania said:

Again, bouncing on enemies doesn't cut Sonic's momentum. Stopping after hitting each Egg pawn on those small platforms looks intentional despite how jank Sonic's movement is.

He bounces on 3 enemies later in the video no problem and it looks fine because he doesn't stop moving.

I'm sure there's some element of momentum at play here, but even I can see he should be getting more air from bouncing on enemies than that.

1 minute ago, MudHunter said:

So... was the Direct footage an early build....or the switch version? lol

I'm expecting the Switch version to have more than a few cut corners because of the mobile hardware and all, but I don't think screen captures from the direct vs SEGA's footage are going to be the best indication. 

11 minutes ago, HedgehogBR said:

Come on guys, more love with our old buddy. Sonic Team is doing their best :)

Dude, this is not elementary school, developers don't get a pat in the back just cause they try really hard, especially since by this point they should know how to make classic gameplay more interesting than this.

Also, how long till Tee Lopes makes a remix that shows Jun how it's done?

Sigh, it saddens me that they keep having Jun do classic style music. He's not good at it, let Naofumi Hataya do it.

Jun makes great vocal songs and great rock style level themes, but he hasn't been allowed to do either since Generations, and it reinforces this misconception that he's a bad composer. He's not, he's just working out of his element.

Why is Ohtani(He's the sound director on this right?) even putting him on Cassic duty? Let him do modern stuff, you have Hataya for Classic style music.

• Thumbs Up 3

20 minutes ago, HedgehogBR said:

Come on guys, more love with our old buddy. Sonic Team is doing their best :)

So did Waluigi, yet he still couldn't be playable in Smash.

-yes, i'm still salty af about it-

• Thumbs Up 1

"You guys need Whitehead like people need Jesus"

That's my feedback on the video over on YouTube.

Honestly that gameplay looked pretty boring and bland to me.

I'm indifferent at best about this game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Regarding the music, one thing nobody seems to be bringing up - When it loops about 1 minute and 29 seconds in, it's actually slightly louder than the first loop.

It could very well be a placeholder, fingers crossed.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

You know what would also punish you for not jumping in time?

Hitting the wall.

Yes, but this punishes you slightly less. I guess they prioritized keeping the flow in this scenario, will still making sure that there was room for the player to improve.

Look, I'm not thrilled about all the springs, but at least it looks like they put some thought into it.

1 minute ago, Kellan said:

Yes, but this punishes you slightly less. I guess they prioritized keeping the flow in this scenario, will still making sure that there was room for the player to improve.

Look, I'm not thrilled about all the springs, but at least it looks like they put some thought into it.

If it still stops forward momentum it doesn't really keep the flow at all.

This scenario doesn't allow players to improve anymore than it does without the spring there at all.

Regarding the music, one thing nobody seems to be bringing up - When it loops about 1 minute and 29 seconds in, it's actually slightly louder than the first loop.

It could very well be a placeholder, fingers crossed.

Huh, didn't notice that. What tipped me off to it maybe being a placeholder was the start of the video. There's almost a 1 second delay between the level starting and the music playing. Knowing these two details, I'd be kind of surprised if this was the actual level music.

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

this shows the complete breakdown of the very concept of platforming.

I, uhh. I definitely think that's a bit of an extreme conclusion to come to.

8 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

This scenario doesn't allow players to improve anymore than it does without the spring there at all.

Well, I guess technically it teaches the player to watch out for hidden springs (which, again, I really wish they weren't hidden).

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, BubbleButt TV said:

Wow. I don't think I've ever seen Mark down on something like that. 

5 minutes ago, Kellan said:

I, uhh. I definitely think that's a bit of an extreme conclusion to come to.

It's not the worst layout, but it does seem very, very basic.

I find it hard to say it being the first stage is acceptable since, hate to make the comparison everybody else will, look at Green Hill in Mania as an example.

You don't need a tutorial stage in a Sonic game, you need, well, fun stages.

Ok, what's up with those springs... Why can I just jump in that platform. WHY IS THOSE SPRINGS IN THERE

Ok, that's awful How they got worse.... That's is just.... UUUUUGGGHHH

C-RXPwMXcAA7S6O.jpg

Is that a motobug, but in a different design? First the Egg pawns have a color change and now this. Hmm...

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

Is that a motobug, but in a different design? First the Egg pawns have a color change and now this. Hmm...

Yeah, all the enemies in the game are super minimalist and ugly.

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Ok, what's up with those springs... Why can I just jump in that platform. WHY IS THOSE SPRINGS IN THERE

Ok, that's awful How they got worse.... That's is just.... UUUUUGGGHHH

Because Sonic Team was sprung :)

Yay, I know how the Split function works!

*ahem*

Yes, I split the gameplay discussion from the main Forces thread.

CUZ NEW THREADS FOR NEW NEWS GUYS.

Ain't nobody got time to sift through hundreds of replies in a mega thread just to see what shiny new thing everyone's talking bout.

• Thumbs Up 5

8 minutes ago, Fusion Ellipsis said:

C-RXPwMXcAA7S6O.jpg

You know, considering those motobugs have the same design of Eggman's pawns in the destroyed town, this could mean that Eggman somehow went back in time again and upgraded his bots for the past.

Spitballing, but I do love thinking ideas for stories.

I highly doubt it's a mere design change, and even if so, what makes these robot designs any different than all the ones we've in the other games?