Awoo.

Sonic Forces- Classic GHZ Gameplay

Tracker_TD

Overall it looks not too bad. In comparison to the Direct footage it looks fun.

Still looks a bit off at times. Level design seems not too bad. Hate the zippers being forced along sections which should feel natural based on how much momentum is gained. It doesn't really show much confidence, unless it's really just some tutorial stage...but not fully convinced of the confidence from Sonic Team to make a true Sonic 4 anymore. It looks more scripted as a result. 

Exactly like what Sonic Mania has done right in comparison, hence why I mention Sonic Team instead of Sega. Everything which has been done in Mania is all based on how much momentum has been gained beforehand in comparison to invisible zippers.... Sonic Mania is easily looking to be Sonic 4 as we truly wanted.

Still think this game will provide some enjoyment. But feel a bit disappointed.

Edit: the screens for this game are gorgeous. 

IMG_5574.JPG

IMG_5575.JPG

IMG_5576.JPG

• Thumbs Up 2

Just about the graphics again:

18156124_10155224569127418_2573623654684

If stuff like this had been our first look at..."X Hill Zone" then I think people would've definitely been far more in favour of the visual style than how things played out.

Is it just me or is the camera pulled out a bit further than it was back in Generations? It zooms in at points but during platforming sections I swear there's more of the environment on show than in Generations' Green Hill.

• Thumbs Up 5

22 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Random observation, seems they've replaced the helpful but garish "WARNING BOTTOMLESS PIT!!" signposting from Generations/Episode 2 with wooden "X" panels surrounding offending pits that fit into the zone's visual style.

Frankly there's kind of... a lot of them if this is Classic Sonic's first stage, but still, an aesthetically pleasing touch.

Wait there are bottomless pits in th-

why am I acting surprised of COURSE there are

• Thumbs Up 2

19 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's not my fault Sonic Team is stupid. I will not be held accountable for Sega giving us a monkeys paw with us wanting to see more of Classic Sonic with improved fidelity. I wanted Mania, and I'm getting Mania, but I didn't want another Generations, let alone one that manages to not learn anything from past endeavors, and I'm fairly certain I'm not the only one around here who feels that way.

Kinda like that time where people were sick of playing as characters that had nothing to do with Sonic's core gameplay, therefore we get a game where you technically play as Sonic, but half of the time he's a furry Mr Fantastic on steroids. Doesn't quite satisfy what people are asking for, does it?

It's no one's fault Sonic Team is stupid, and it actually never has been in the history of this franchise, not even when they outright polled Shadow fans to make ShtH, because Sonic Team is always responsible for the end product at the end of the day.

But, we've been living in a hostile fan and community environment for nearly a decade now where SOME section of the fandom has to hold the L for their part in communicating to Sonic Team- accidentally or otherwise- that the awesome things we want are actually the mediocrity we've been getting, because A.) It's fun to blame other fans for supposedly being indiscriminate and not having standards, and B.) We've always gotta remember that communication with a developer implies a two-way street here (otherwise it's not communication, is it?) Sonic Team can't get confused if there's nothing to get confused from. And frankly, the clearest message they've probably gotten in years from the public is that Generations was obviously the best thing ever (because Sky Sanctuary Zone; I will never let you people forget that shit) and they should just do more of that. And they did. And now they're probably gonna get confused again because they might've thought people wanted a mechanically copypasted sequel.

So yeah, so long as this fandom's gonna keep up the charade that about a quarter to half of this fandom is definitely shit because they put the rubber stamp and their dollars down on the disagreeable stuff from the 2000s regardless of nuance in their positions, and thus them continually asking for some of that stuff back is a definite roadmap to disaster, I'll be more than happy to dish out a little ribbing to classic fans for basically making the 3D games boring AF now, and for helping lead the charge on this situation where the dumbass fan split between classic and modern to maintain whatever veneer of integrity and dignity the former had actually became a real boy.

Or, we can let bygones be bygones, and I can happily ask for my SA3 without having a deluge of overreactions pouring down on my head. The choice is yours. >8D

• Thumbs Up 3

in an era where people want little more than superficial nostalgia huehuehuehuehuehuehue.

I have yet to find a single human being that's excited for this game because Green Hill Zone and Classic Sonic are in it.

Assuming you're not just being funny. Because holy halibut this forum in the past few months.

Don't spit on the plate you eat. Jun is a great composer, he's just not great at composing something classic-like, ergo why the Sonic 4's soundtrack is a hit or miss. It's like giving a veteran guitar player a saxophone and expects him to be good at. He's great at composing rock and pop-rock tracks, see the fucking Sonic Adventure soundtrack.

I did it in 2010 and I'll do it in 2017, if he can't play the Cat-o-thizer, don't give him a Cat-o-thizer. I'm allowed to have standards.

Well, of course Indigo, but c'mon, don't ya think using someone's else name as an insult is kinda rude? I agree with you that this music is quite meh, but let's not shit on people's work. For all we know, it was probably under Sonic Team's request that Jun had to use the cat-o-thizer for Sonic 4's soundtrack, as we seen him playing those songs in events on a regular piano and guitar and they sound MUCH BETTER, because the melody was always pretty good. Same with the new not-Green Hill, as Jez and Nepe pointed.

Still wish SEGA would've called Naofumi Hataya and Richard Jacques to compose at least the classic half, but O have faith in Ohtani.

So enjoying a game is wrong because the developers will think we want a rehash of that game as a followup and we should know better...?

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Sonic Team's learned nothing.

I don't think they know that they need to learn something. 

8 minutes ago, Jango said:

Well, of course Indigo, but c'mon, don't ya think using someone's else name as an insult is kinda rude?

you're a Jun Senoue

The music sounds bad, Sonic 4's music sounds bad, they sound similar, it sounds like he made it. the end.

• Thumbs Up 4

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

Well, of course Indigo, but c'mon, don't ya think using someone's else name as an insult is kinda rude? I agree with you that this music is quite meh, but let's not shit on people's work. For all we know, it was probably under Sonic Team's request that Jun had to use the cat-o-thizer for Sonic 4's soundtrack, as we seen him playing those songs in events on a regular piano and guitar and they sound MUCH BETTER, because the melody was always pretty good. Same with the new not-Green Hill, as Jez and Nepe pointed.

Still wish SEGA would've called Naofumi Hataya and Richard Jacques to compose at least the classic half, but O have faith in Ohtani.

I don't blame Indigo for doing it, It's whoever's in charge that really screwed up, they're inviting this. Like I said in my previous post:

It saddens me as a Jun fan that they keep having him do classic style music. He's not good at it, let Naofumi Hataya do it.

Jun makes great vocal songs and great rock style level themes, but he hasn't been allowed to do either since Generations, and it reinforces this misconception that he's a bad composer. He's not, he's just working out of his element.

Why is Ohtani(He's the sound director on this right?) even putting him on Cassic duty? Let him do modern stuff, you have Hataya for Classic style music.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, ChikaBoing said:

I don't think they know that they need to learn something. 

See this is not true, because they are constantly listening to feedback in some way or another.

They heard "We want to play as Sonic only".

They gave us Unleashed where you technically play as Sonic only. (More on this later)

They heard "We want more of Unleashed day stages" 

They gave us Colours

They brought back Classic Sonic for Generations with the boost for Modern

Then they heard "We want something different, the boost is growing stale"

They went with Lost World

Then they heard "This sucks, go back to the boost formula, I would've been ok with a Generations 2"

And this is what they're doing, literally.

Now, the point is not that they don't listen to feedback, but the way the interpret the feedback itself, it sounds like they do what we say almost in a literal way, and that's not the way to understand what your fans want.

Do we want more Classic Sonic? Of course we do, but Mania is doing that in the right way, bringing back momentum and momentum-based level design, with virtually no automation.

If you're listening to the Classic Sonic demand, you should take the whole feedback in consideration.

When the Classic Sonic discussion was brought up, right after Generations came out, the general consensus was "This is good, it doesn't play that bad, but it needs lots of improvements, it doesn't feel quite right. It doesn't need to be 1:1 with the classic games but at least make it less automated and feel more natural to play." And they did the exact opposite, they brought it back, didn't improve on it at ALL, they actually took a couple of steps backwards (especially in Unleashed's case), that means they heard the "We want classic back" feedback, but they didn't understand WHY and HOW to do it. And that's a point that can be made for every feedback instance I pointed out before.

It's not that we should not give our opinions, it's that they need to understand them better.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 minutes ago, Ratcicle King said:

So enjoying a game is wrong because the developers will think we want a rehash of that game as a followup and we should know better...?

Not at all! Enjoy whatever you want! Voice your opinions when you're happy, and especially when you're not.

Just don't spend years of time and energy shitting on and putting down another half of the fanbase for ruining things or not understanding what's best for the franchise, and then expect different treatment when your shit starts to smell, because that pendulum never stays in one place, and Sonic Team is not the horse you wanna bet on.

Like, I've said for years I kinda feel sorry for Sonic 06 fans because, even as much as I don't like their game, I know it sucks to have an environment where you can't outwardly enjoy something with others without either having to bat away a bunch of tired debates that really don't need to be had after a decade later (I remember that period where people deluded themselves into believing that debate with Sonic 06 fans was necessary because "it was good for them"), to be accused of not having the skin to tolerate "debate" because you're just tired of the unwritten expectation that you have to respond to every single post directed to you (elitist sealioning), or to actually be considered stupid for liking it. Like, I've been there. It's not a fun place to be, so I've afforded them the respect I would've liked all those years ago and leave them alone to enjoy their game. They're ultimately not hurting anyone.

But now! Now we're in a position where some of those same people who leveled that kind of nonsense on Sonic 06 fans and others are unwilling to take even a dust mote's amount of the dragging other sects of the fandom got, even when their ideas and principles are being applied in stupid or boring ways in the games just like ours was. It's like Sonic Fan Privilege or something, and it's hilarious in hindsight, and you better believe with as bitter a person as I am at this point that I'm not gonna take every opportunity to revel in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Indigo Rush said:

you're a Jun Senoue

Says the Tomoya Ohtani.

Also what kinda bothers me is how the desert stuff is background only. I could be wrong if this stage turns out to have more acts, but so far, if you replace the sand with water, it's the same Green Hill we've been getting the past 6. If they made the Sand and desert nature of the stage be more relevant on the level design, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be as big of a backlash. Like how Seaside Hill isn't just another Green Hill, it focus a lot more on the tropical beach aspect.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 minutes ago, BubbleButt TV said:

V4WZR4s.jpg

Anyone see this? 

Not sure what you're trying to say? It's just a shield.

That music is unbelievably bad. Like, I really hope it's a WIP or even straight up a placeholder because wow. And the Classic tracks in Gens were the best ones, too...

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

They weren't in Generations, outside of specific missions to unlock them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Marcello said:

In fairness, Generations never had the shield monitor so that's interesting they've gone and added it. I'm surprised it wasn't included last time.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Patron Night said:

Why?

why.png

I don't really get it. In generations the game just locked Sonic's speed when he went through one of those anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Blue Blood said:

They weren't in Generations, outside of specific missions to unlock them.

Just now, Joy said:

In fairness, Generations never had the shield monitor so that's interesting they've gone and added it. I'm surprised it wasn't included last time.

Oh, right. OK, then. I was confused by the sad face.

2 minutes ago, Patron Night said:

Why?

why.png

Man, Classic Sonic is so tiny.

20 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Or, we can let bygones be bygones, and I can happily ask for my SA3 without having a deluge of overreactions pouring down on my head. The choice is yours. >8D

Should probably open up that SA3 topic then. :P

Just now, Captain Fun said:

I don't really get it. In generations the game just locked Sonic's speed when he went through one of those anyway. 

That's the point. WHY IS IT THERE. WHY IS IT NEEDED. IT'S NOT.

• Thumbs Up 6