Awoo.

How many types of Sonic's are there? (VIDEO)

smooth4lyfe

Wassup yall!

Sooo I'm wondering why do some Sonic fans say there are more than 2 types of Sonic (for the games). To me there are only two: CLASSIC and MODERN (Boom doesn't count). I hear people say there is Adventure Sonic, Dreamcast Sonic, Colors Sonic....but THATS STILL MODERN SONIC...yall agree?

Two - Sonic before his design, and Sonic after his redesign. And beyond that, Sonic is Sonic - there's only one character and Generations was merely a cute nod to the series' history. But the fact that there's even a debate speaks volumes about how much division SEGA has created (and how dumb some people are...). 

• Thumbs Up 2

It depends on how you're measuring it. There's obviously quite a few if you're counting all continuities-Archie, Fleetway, X, AoStH, SatAM, Underground, OVA, etc etc. Focusing on just the games, you could make some arguments based on gameplay or characterization/writing style that there are a few distinct "Sonic"s. In terms of "who should've been in Generations", 2 was the right choice, assuming they were dead set on the idea. Personally though, any more than one is too many.

• Thumbs Up 4

Once upon a time, Classic Sonic was just "Sonic but drawn the old way" and it wasn't really an issue except for a few select fringe groups.

The actual meat of the debate these days is moreso about gameplay, and what SEGA have done is enable the idea that a particular gameplay style is inherently linked to the visual design of the character. Sonic 4 didn't need Classic Sonic's black eyes or short stature, it needed the gameplay from the era in which that design was used. Now, I'm very fond of the Classic's design, and I can understand the marketing clarity intended by separating Sonic into two fundamental variations (old and new, this is how you can tell them apart), but instead it's encouraged this idea that every individual gameplay style ought to have a representative design. This is where Adventure Sonic somehow comes into existence; but unlike the differences between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic (where there were changes not only in art style, but coloring, shoe design, stature, etc) the difference between so-called "Adventure Sonic" and Modern Sonic is.... what, the presence of that toothy grin? Does this mean that Sonic in Adventure 2 is a entirely different design because he's wearing the SOAP shoes?

The differences between Sonic in Adventure and Sonic in, say, Unleashed is just as nebulous as the differences between Sonic in Colors and Sonic in '06; his body and spines are lankier, longer and the bottom of his shoes are different, see. It's a different character. Meanwhile, I suppose there's a difference between Classic Sonic in Sonic 3 and Sonic 2 since the sprites are different; or between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3D Blast or Sonic R, or between Sonic in the CD animations and Sonic in... okay you get my point, I hope. While the differences between Sonic in the Genesis/Saturn days and Sonic in the Dreamcast/Modern era are significant enough, it unintentionally enabled yet another fanbase split that's been misdirected in their intentions; they aren't a hivemind, but you see plenty of fans of the Sonic Adventure games asking for "Adventure Sonic," when they're actually intending to refer to the way he plays, or the kind of stories the games told. Instead, they're asking for a design, as if that's going to fix the problem. It won't, obviously; and all I can see happening is SEGA hearing a group of fans asking for a Sonic design that's not a significant iteration in any way, and rightfully they'll ignore it. Dreamcast Sonic is Modern Sonic, just styled slightly differently. The gameplay and story is where the meat of the dissatisfaction comes from.

Of course, I haven't even gone into how they made the situation even worse by redesigning Sonic again, not as a next iteration, but as a totally separate entity with the Boom sub-franchise; giving us promotional artwork featuring three blue hedgehogs together. SEGA have created a brand that's split to reflect the fanbase, and encouraged it.

• Thumbs Up 8

There really is only one Sonic. The largest schism that will get people to divide Sonic is obviously Adventure, but it wasn't even that big of a design change. If you look at SoJ art through the 90's Sonic fluctuates in proportions but he does start to get slimmer in the Saturn era. It's been noted on SSMB before that the main reason for Sonic's adventure design was so he would work better in 3D, so he got a bit slimmer so his back would be easier to see. Sonic was always meant to be treated as the same entity, but Generations was where I think the classic vs modern really came alight. This is an honest question: how did people treat Sonic's designs pre-Adventure and post-Adventure before Generations? And how many people called pre-Adventure "classic Sonic"? I've always wondered how most people treated it before Generations came along. And like Indigo says above modern Sonic, along with classic fluctuated in proportions and details between every single game. 

I think one thing to take away is that Sonic's changes in design are a lot more "long-term" in duration of change if you know what I mean, more of a transition than a jarring change. Like I said Sonic's changes in Adventure came from several years of making Sonic slimmer and taller to work in 3D better. If you look at Sonic The Fighters Sonic his legs are a bit longer than they were before. 

Image result for sonic the fighters sonic model

If you look at Jam's model, his legs are also longer here than previously, so his running would be easier to make out. 

Image result for sonic jam sonic model

Related image

latest?cb=20111128162226

If you look at the artwork for Sonic from the same time, you'll notice his legs and spines are longer than before. 

Related image

Image result for sonic jam

Also a more subtle thing here, but his cuffs are starting to resemble Adventure Sonic's more, with how they fold out more. 

Image result for sonic 3d blast sonic

This art made very close to the time of Adventure shows many traits of Adventure Sonic such as the spines that fold down immediately, the more curved shoes, the more wavy ears, the eyebrows, the long curvy legs and all that. 

And of course we can't forget these 

Image result for sonic concept art

The true moment of Sonic transitioning into his Adventure design. 

Right now everyone tends to like the dichotomy but just looking at the SoJ art you can tell this was just a natural evolution and it was always meant to be the same Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Before Generations, I think everyone can agree that there was just one, at least in the games. He had different designs occasionally, yeah, but generally he was the same character, just at different points in his life. Sonic from Unleashed, Sonic from Riders, Sonic from Sonic 3... all the same character. Sonic is Sonic is Sonic.

After Generations, though... Technically, all of them are "Sonics" now?

Generations introduced us to the concept of there being more than one Sonic, just based on his other self being from another point in his timeline, and having a different design. And, while his leap from Classic to Modern is the most recognizable, that doesn't discount the fact that other designs have different properties, as well.

So while some may not like it, and it's definitely unnecessary outside of a theoretical Generations 2 with 3 or more Sonics, technically they're all equally as valid as one another, in the sense that they are past selves of the now Modern Sonic. If he can travel back in time to meet his self from 5 minutes ago, it still kinda counts. There is no limit to the periods of Sonic the "Prime" Sonic can come across anymore.

Though, with the "alternate Sonic" details going around for Forces, I dunno if Classic's main distinction being "Sonic from the past" will stick around for much longer...

Basically, outside of die-hards actually arguing for one design to override the other for the sake of their love for it, or misguided biases for gameplay... think of the "types of Sonic" reasoning as a Doctor Who situation from now on, just on a much subtler scale :V

68f7401d778bc1c6927303e0df0c0b7d.png

Officially, there's two, classic Sonic and modern Sonic. Sonic Team and SEGA consider them different entities, not the same Sonic but time-shifted. They represent the two different brands (that aren't Boom), and any changes in modern's design are still under the umbrella of modern Sonic. This has not changed since even as far back as Adventure.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well then I guess I'll just disagree with SEGA and Sonic Team then and say in my mind there is officially only one Sonic because there really is only one bloody Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Two - Sonic before his design, and Sonic after his redesign. And beyond that, Sonic is Sonic - there's only one character and Generations was merely a cute nod to the series' history. But the fact that there's even a debate speaks volumes about how much division SEGA has created (and how dumb some people are...). 

I agree, I think fans just look way into these things and makes these arguments even more sad and funny tbh lol. I mean Mario has changed over the years but HE IS STILL MARIO!

5 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

Officially, there's two, classic Sonic and modern Sonic. Sonic Team and SEGA consider them different entities, not the same Sonic but time-shifted. They represent the two different brands (that aren't Boom), and any changes in modern's design are still under the umbrella of modern Sonic. This has not changed since even as far back as Adventure.

Yes Thank you!!

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

It depends on how you're measuring it. There's obviously quite a few if you're counting all continuities-Archie, Fleetway, X, AoStH, SatAM, Underground, OVA, etc etc. Focusing on just the games, you could make some arguments based on gameplay or characterization/writing style that there are a few distinct "Sonic"s. In terms of "who should've been in Generations", 2 was the right choice, assuming they were dead set on the idea. Personally though, any more than one is too many.

See if we bring Archie an comic book Sonics then its gonna get way too complicated lol

46 minutes ago, ShroomZed said:

Well then I guess I'll just disagree with SEGA and Sonic Team then and say in my mind there is officially only one Sonic because there really is only one bloody Sonic. 

There is one Sonic in the main series, we just have a younger and the current versions of that Sonic and another Sonic representing a spinoff branch but why make brands out of 2 Sonic when you can make 3?

I mean, SEGA just say "fuck everything, we're sticking to only Sonic and that's it." And it is possible to get the best of both worlds of Classic and Modern design philosophies and make them work in a game. But eh, if that means axing off everything Boom related then I ain't a happy camper. The show has given me great enjoyment even if it's not my ideal Sonic cartoon but Boom is pretty much its own thing and I consider the show to be the good kind of different. 

It's a tough situation for me to consider making Sonic just this one design only. Cause I like Classic, Modern and Boom. 

I like Classic for its simple but intuitive way of storytelling with CD, 2 and 3&K and its solid gameplay. I like Modern for its more cinematic and MODERN presentation values and it's just more exciting and immersive to get into. I like Boom for being, personally, the best comedic take on the characters by far in the series' lifetime with clever, thoughtful and brilliant writing from the show and while the games aren't great by any means, I can still see potential for a pretty good Boom game.

Archie, Fleetway, the other shows and stuff are their own take on Classic/Modern so I consider them secondary branches of 2 of the main primary 3.

It's certainly possible to fuse all 3 of them but as we see in Forces so far and Lost World, mixing different elements together into one product isn't something I would like to see.

There needn't be any distinction between the Sonics, except Boom obviously. 

If there's a Classic game, characters can use their classic designs. If there's a modern game, they can use their modern designs. Like it literally doesn't matter. Sonic is Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

There needn't be any distinction between the Sonics, except Boom obviously. 

If there's a Classic game, characters can use their classic designs. If there's a modern game, they can use their modern designs. Like it literally doesn't matter. Sonic is Sonic. 

I do agree with this, but SEGA started the distinction between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic, so now people are creating that distinction

It doesn't help that SEGA deliberately made classic look more different than modern in Generations and continued that path. They really exaggerated classic's shortness to make him look smaller than he actually ever was, so it's easier for everyone to go "look how distinctive they are!!". 

Image result for classic sonic and modern sonic

Now this is super crappy and quick, but I just threw a picture of SoJ Sonic from 1994 and some modern Sonic art, and you can see how they actually compare for yourself. 

0cffef5056b54947b3b09fa5306c02d7.png

Their farther away shoes start at roughly the same height so you can see how they actually compare to each other in size and height. As we all know Sonic fluctuates in proportions in just about every game but this is a pretty good analysis of how their overall designs compare. 

I can't fault them too hard since I understand why they would want to make classic look more distinctive but it gives a false impression of how he actually scales to modern and it's just another thing that undermines how Sonic evolved over time.