Awoo.

Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions Announced For 3DS (October)

Zippo

A full on remake of the first Mario and Luigi game, originally released in 2003, was announced today. Was leaked awhile back. Coming in October. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Allow me to locate a proper image to convey my reaction to this:

bLkyHwd.png

Mario & Luigi is like my favorite game series EVER and I wasn't expecting a new entry in it so soon after Paper Jam, so this has me BEYOND psyched. I'm also in the minority whose least favorite game in the series was Superstar Saga (Something about the world seemed kind of...flat compared to the other games. I dunno. Also wasn't huge on how a lot of the special moves were pretty similar.), so the idea of a remake of it to the visual and gameplay standards of the 3DS entries makes me freaking SALIVATE. Needless to say, this is something that I'll be awaiting an official announcement for with bated breath. :D

• The title was changed to Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga DX found on 3DS Eshop server By Renowned Hacker

....Not really sure why this is being made, but cool I guess. I don't have any problems with the original though so I can't see myself getting all that excited for it.

I...also don't really like the last 3 or so Mario and Luigi games. Can't help but fear they'll change it to make it more like those games. Eeeehh.

• Thumbs Up 2

I loved BiS and and Dream Team, and those were the first I played. But for some reason after those two, none of the others were very fun. I didn't beat SS for ages and I still haven't beaten Partners in Time nor Paper Jam. I dunno what happened.

Well, on the subject of this... If it's a remake, cool. But SS wasn't my favorite, so they'd have to change a lot of stuff to warrant a purchase from me.

This actually really excites me. SS is my favorite M&L game, so having it in more modern graphics on my 3DS would be great. I just hope they don't add an additional zillion tutorials.

I wonder if they'll announce it alongside a new Switch entry.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would 100% double-dip for Superstar Saga.  Astonishing game, and probably still my favourite of all the Mario & Luigi entries; I'm even a little surprised by the idea that it would need remaking at all, though I suppose an "updated port" or "remaster" is probably closer to the mark.  I really enjoyed all the original elements it added to the Mario universe, and the non-linear explorative elements to the world; those are elements which diminished in successive games.

Hmm, if they were to add additional content...  I think there are a couple of permanently missable special beans of some sort in the main town, and in my view no game should have irreplaceable permanently missable content.  They could also consider inserting the other Nintendo cameos they had planned for the coffee shop.  It's not inconceivable that they could add Ranks and thus Rank Up bonuses to bring it into line with the more recent games (but please, please don't bring back the Expert Challenges, they kill the fun for me).  An optional bonus dungeon never goes amiss, of course.  There'll probably be amiibo content, too.

3iys6.jpg

4 hours ago, Josh said:

I...also don't really like the last 3 or so Mario and Luigi games. Can't help but fear they'll change it to make it more like those games. Eeeehh.

Out of curiosity, what is it about the last 3 games that you didn't like?

Hmm,  haven't gotten around to playing that game yet. So far,  I've got Browser's Inside Story and Dream Team pretty much done,  and still in the middle of Paper Jam.  This might be a keen place to start with that. 

I'd rather a virtual console release than a full on remake honestly.  I love the game.  It's one of my favorite Mario games.  But it's already such a complete package that remaking it doesn't feel extremely necessary.

That and I worry that they'll overload the game with new mechanics that aren't very good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wasn't Superstar Saga already released on the Wii U Virtual Console, though?

Unless you meant for the Switch and/or 3DS. But then, it doesn't seem like Nintendo have any plans for a GBA Virtual Console on either system yet (despite the 3DS's Ambassador Program, which still confuses me).

Anyway, as someone who's had a mild interest in getting into the Mario & Luigi series, I think a remake/remastering of the original could be pretty neat. Here's hoping that Nintendo announce something at E3.

Of all the Nintendo games I wanted them to make a remake of, This was not one of them.

Still, Good chance for those new to the series I suppose.

5 hours ago, Depression Kong said:

Out of curiosity, what is it about the last 3 games that you didn't like?

Too many 2D sections, too easy, too many tutorials, generally a whole lot less funny, and they tend to focus on gimmicks that aren't very fun. (the second one is also guilty of this but unlike the other 3 I was really into that game's setting.)

The first game is really focused and had a lot of memorable characters and settings. The third game on just feels like they bumped up the graphics but didn't make many improvements elsewhere. 

I'll be fair and say I didn't even try Paper Jam but based on what I've seen I have no reason to. Looks pretty lame.

• Thumbs Up 1

I hope it doesn't kinda suck like... eh... every Mario and Luigi game after the first one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Would much prefer this on Switch, but I'm so down for a remake of this. It's my favorite Mario RPG after Thousand Year Door and Bowser's Inside Story. 

I'm skeptical of its quality. M&L has been in a rut and each game feels more charmless and tedious than the last. I haven't brought myself to replay any of them more than once, whereas Superstar Saga is my second-most played Mario RPG after Paper Mario. Hell, its 'inferior' GBA graphics are actually more expressive and likable than the pseudo-3Dish ones in Dream Team and Paper Jam.

I did think Paper Jam's battle system was the most fun of all the post-Superstar Saga games, but it was bogged down by every other aspect of the game being pretty shitty. And I still wouldn't replace SS's battle system with it.

• Thumbs Up 4

Gonna share in the apathy for this, I don't trust them at all in remaking this after whatever the heck paper jam was (even dream team has a lot of issues that make it hard for me to replay that game and I actually liked this one), i'd love to be proven wrong about this but considering that someone at Nintendo still thinks its a good idea to keep paper mario the way it is now for whatever reason, i'll continue to look at this with a very cautious eye.

Tweak the battle system to where the standard attacks are like in Bowser's Inside Story and make digging for beans like Paper Jam where you automatically get them after passing them.

That's all they'd need to change, honestly.

I share a sense of excitement and concern. On one hand, it's my third-favorite Mario RPG after Super Mario RPG and the original Paper Mario. If they do this right, they could make an already fantastic game even more fantastic.

On the other, it doesn't NEED remade. It still holds up perfectly fine almost 15 years later. And considering how much AlphaDream has lost their touch with this series (they objectively reached peak greatness during BiS, though the original is still my favorite), I can see them mucking it up with their current design philosophies.

Though heck, who knows? Maybe going back and seeing what made the original work will help them rectify their more recent mistakes for the next entry in the series.

• Thumbs Up 2

When I first saw the GameXplain vid on this, I was interested! I've never really played Mario and Luigi before, so maybe I could get a kick out of it...

We're not sure, its even weirder because Bowser's Minions don't play a big role until BIS. 

I thought as such, given how Superstar Saga was supposed to be in the Bean Kingdom, and about Cackletta messing things up.

2 hours ago, Zippo said:

https://m.imgur.com/QTaslvk?

The 3DS game icon just leaked. It's real. 

It's final title is Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions.

Okay, if there was a picture of the hype train coming to a screeching halt, I'd be using it.

I'm scared.