Awoo.

Mario and Luigi discussion.

Crystal Kingfisher

Feel free to discuss the Mario and Luigi RPGs here.

For me, I just recently got Superstar Saga. Back when I was in 3rd grade, I didn't have the game but I always wanted it (and I still remember the commercial for it :D), but my friend Andrew had it. He was a huge Nintendo freak and on his GBA he had Pokemon Sapphire (or Ruby, I don't recall which), Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Whenever we had indoor recess, I would always borrow his GBA so I could play Superstar Saga. I loved it. But I was using his save file that was in the middle of the game, so I didn't know what was going on, but I still had fun with it. Just a few days ago I finally got the game, and I've been having so much fun with it.

I haven't played Partners in Time but I heard from many people that it's not as good as Superstar Saga, so I think I should get one of the Paper Mario games instead once I finish Superstar Saga. I might get Bowser's Inside Story once that is released in the USA.

My sis has got SS and I've got PiT, which i'm playing through again, battling and beating every enemy so I can get higher levels, the last time I played I was SO underleveled that I had to resort to AR to beat the game.

I now say 'SCREW THAT.'

My old save was about lvs 24 ish at the end

my new save i'm about 1/2 the way in, lvls 20-22-ish. ^^

I haven't really played SS, but I'll probably steal it from my sis once I've completed PiT again.

PiT is amazing. at one point near the beginning there's

hammer bros. that speak 13375P34K!! Best thing EVER!

And that comcludes my happy biased opinion on the games.

I want BIS when it comes out in the UK. D:

Edited fo typo.

fo sho.

Edited by Daisoku

This topic is hotness! It is the overheat! :) (reference to the second to last boss btw)

Never played the second one, but the first game was awesome thanks to it's wacky humour and simple yet fun mechanics. Ah i can still remember trying to find coffee beans on every single panel.

Eh? Try to contribute something to the topic at hand next time you post, please! -Jake

Haha i knew that would happen, you people never change. :D

Edited by killemoff

I loved Superstar Saga. Everything about it was great. The writing, the jokes, the characters, the gameplay, the story, the gimmicks (for lack of a better word). And I honestly tried to love Partners in Time. But I couldn't. Something just felt off, and I ended up quitting the game about a quarter way through.

I loved Superstar Saga. Everything about it was great. The writing, the jokes, the characters, the gameplay, the story, the gimmicks (for lack of a better word). And I honestly tried to love Partners in Time. But I couldn't. Something just felt off, and I ended up quitting the game about a quarter way through.

I think that it lost most of it's charm because what was in the first game, just wasn't available in the sequel. PiT's storytelling mostly used slapstick situations instead of witty humor and dialog, and most of them resorted on how much time they were able to abuse Luigi, to the point where they use an ENTIRE LEVEL just to torment the guy so that the story progresses. There were less characters to interact with too, which was something the first game always had. THE CONSTANT STRUGGLE OF TRYING TO RESCUE PEACH for about 1/2 of the game was just, UGH! The babies, while fun and interesting at first, eventually became annoying and contrived. Fighting by themselves and having to separate them from the adults became a hassle with their lowered stats having to resort on alot of health items to keep them from fainting in battle. The art design also somewhat looked a little less detailed and looks a little flat when compared to the first game.

Besides all that, at least the most important part of the game was still intact; the gameplay was still fun, if not for the over abundant use of keeping track of 4 buttons instead of 2 in battle sometimes became a hassle. It was mostly just one step backward from the original. Most of the music wasn't as catchy either, although the final battle was pretty kewl. :o The best part of the whole game for me, was finally being able to fight Bowser and his youger self with the Bros.

Edited by Emerl

Weirdly, I found Superstar Saga pretty boring, yet really enjoyed Partners In Time (except the boss battles - waaaay too long).

No idea why, just did.

Edited by JezMM

^ What was your first. Besides, I also found SSS a little more boring. Maybe its because the Bosses aren't that fun(Except Fawful).

As I said, I haven't really played SS as it is my sis's, that and I got PiT first. I never really noticed a lack of charm...

Hmm I don't know, I'm also one of the people that didn't really like PiT as much as SS. It was alright, but I think humor was lost from the first game to the second (I know there were some funny moments in PiT, just not as many of them for me). Still a fairly solid game.

Also about getting paper Mario games: yes, yes and yes! Those are definitely among my favorite games (well the first two are).

• Thumbs Up 1

^ What was your first. Besides, I also found SSS a little more boring. Maybe its because the Bosses aren't that fun(Except Fawful).

Superstar Saga was my first. Got bored of it around the Chuckola Cola brewery because I wasn't leveled up enough to fight the enemies. Just kept dying.

Yes, I had been avoiding battles, but that's the game's fault for having boring battles. I didn't have such a problem with Paper Mario.

SSS is pretty old now though... one day I want to try playing it again with my more adult patience.

Edited by JezMM

Also about getting paper Mario games: yes, yes and yes! Those are definitely among my favorite games (well the first two are).

I was actually recently thinking of getting into the Mario RPG series (both Paper and Mario and Luigi), what titles would you recommend to start of with (earing in mind I do lke a really good and humuros story) and which ones should I avoid?

PiT is such a soulless, ass game compared to the original.

The plot is shitty, the stages are shitty, the combat is shitty, the villian sucks, the revisions in combot sucked, and the writing has gone to hell. the whole thing, to me, reeked of cheese and half assed ness. Couldn't even bring myself to finish that shit.

SSS to me is a fantastic game, comparitively. I don't get the hubub about boring battles, sure not every attack has a delightful minigame like Paper Mario 2 (or does it?) but I felt they were fun enough, especially when compared to other JRPGs. The whole game was just such a grand quest

If you wanna try getting into mario RPGs, any of the games are a good start. My personal preferances are Paper Mario 1 and Superstar Saga, however.

I effing loved Superstar Saga. I don't have it now but I used to play the hell out of it when my uncle first bought it when I was 10.

Also I don't get why people hate SPM so much. It is for the Wii and is possibly the darkest out of the three games.

Edited by JTW

Well my personal favorite is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars of the SNES. It's classic, played through that like 30 times now (I'm obsessed)

I actually prefer Paper Mario 2 to Paper Mario 1, more for the characters and levels I guess. Still both the first 2 ones are great, 3rd one....not so much.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't played either of the Mario and Luigi RPGs so far, but after reading Nintendo Power's article on the newest game, I may just give it a whirl. Looks funny enough, and the gameplay concept seems interesting.

Also I don't get why people hate SPM so much. It is for the Wii and is possibly the darkest out of the three games.
Dark isn't one of the qualities I look for in a Super Mario game.

Well my personal favorite is Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars of the SNES. It's classic, played through that like 30 times now (I'm obsessed)

I actually prefer Paper Mario 2 to Paper Mario 1, more for the characters and levels I guess. Still both the first 2 ones are great, 3rd one....not so much.

Don't laugh at this, but I'm the only one who hasn't played Super Mario RPG. I am dead serious. The only Mario RPG I've played is Superstar Saga. (I have played Super Paper Mario too, but I don't count that as an RPG) I REALLY need to play Paper Mario 1 and 2 and Super Mario RPG, huh?

I got bored playing Super Mario RPG because it didn't feel like a Mario RPG - it felt like an RPG with Mario characters tacked on it.

Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario better captured the Mario theme; Paper Mario is one of my favorite titles in the franchise.

SPM crashes for me once I get to a certain part. It goes 'BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII' etc etc.

Thus I can't finish the game. :(

Liked it while it lasted...

SPM crashes for me once I get to a certain part. It goes 'BREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

Is this during Chapter 2, in the mansion? It's a known-bug. I'm sure there is a way to avoid it. Does it happen when you talk to the maid? If so, just... don't talk to her. Continue exploring the mansion and you should find a way through.

Edited by JezMM

Superstar Saga! I remember playing it the christmas is came out. I was amazed. How do they do all those animation sprite expressions? The graphics I'm wowed at how detailed and nicely original they are. And it's so funny. Not annoying funny... but it's actually funny to make anyone, any age laugh. It's challenging, long, and addicting.

When this happens, do you end up having to unplug the console to get it to stop? because if it does and it happens in the chapter JezMM mentioned (2-2 specificly if I remember right) then it most likely is that bug, and you can either contact Nintendo and see if they'll take it back and fix it/give you a new one (like I did) or figure out how to get around it (which is possible, and was even posted on the official Nintendo site :P).