Awoo.

Sega Report: Revivals of Old IP, New IP in Development, Making Bigger, More Multi Platform Games

Zippo

http://gematsu.com/2017/05/sega-planning-revival-major-ips

Sega announced in their "Road to 2020" report that revivals of old franchises as well as new franchises are in development. Daytona 3 appears to be just the start of this movement. 

sega27zs70.png

What do you guys hope to see return? I'm personally hoping for new Super Monkey Ball, Streets of Rage, Outrun, Virtua Fighter, Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi games. 

• Thumbs Up 3

And yet still no mentioning  of a new NiGHTS title! Pshaw!

2 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

And yet still no mentioning  of a new NiGHTS title! Pshaw!

I'm sure all hands are on deck for Forces at the moment. 

Considering every major fighting game had a new title recently, Virtua Fighter 6 would be nice to see. If the roster size is a problem, throw in extra characters from things like Fighting Vipers or Streets of Rage, those work and are a nice callback.
Also, Skies of Arcadia HD/Remaster/whatever pretty please?

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't trust SEGA with reviving their old series.

Give me some HD ports, though. Taxman console ports of Sonic 1-K (And CD since PS4, unlike XBO, can't play it), Jet Set Radio Future, Shenmue 1+2 come to mind. Taxman-like ports of more of their 2D games like Ristar and Headdy would be great, too.

• Thumbs Up 2

So many possibilities here. I'd love to see a new Streets of Rage, especially if Yuzo Koshiro returns to do all the music.

Plus, a port of Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder to modern platforms would be cool to see. This game has never left the arcades, it deserves to fine a new audience today.

The world needs more beat'em ups!

I doubt we'll see the likes of JSR or NiGHTS (not that I wouldn't love to see them done justice) but they really ought to try giving Streets of Rage, Skies of Arcadia and Super Monkey Ball a go. With the motion capabilities of the DualShock 4 and the Switch, the latter seems like a no brainer. Speaking of which, a Switch version of Samba De Amigo would also make a lot of sense.

I think it's interesting to note that they talk about outsourcing development of other IPs. I'd have personally thought they'd perhaps steer clear of that after Sonic Boom; guess Sonic Mania and technically Wonder Boy: Dragon's Trap made em think otherwise. 

Seeing how The Dragon's Trap and Sonic Mania are faring, then that isnt such a bad initiative.

...So SEGA mend those bridges with Platinum Games for that proper Streets of Rage game ok? Ok thanks.

• Thumbs Up 2

So nobody else going to comment on how there is no mention of Sonic Development from Japan?

13 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

So nobody else going to comment on how there is no mention of Sonic Development from Japan?

No need to mention Sonic games in the context of this announcement. Sonic games have been in continuous development since 1991. Sega's investors just naturally assume that more Sonic games are always on the way.

Wonder if any of these are being spearheaded by Nintendo  like Bomberman was, wouldn't surprise me 

18 minutes ago, Kintor said:

No need to mention Sonic games in the context of this announcement. Sonic games have been in continuous development since 1991. Sega's investors just naturally assume that more Sonic games are always on the way.

Erm... that isn't how business works, what you just said is like... completely wrong.

Stop with ports of old stuff and make new stuff go boot up a old system.

Give me a next gen jet set. A  new afterburner.  a new all stars racing.    streets of rage. With so many actual good fighters out no need for virtual to be sweeper under

49 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

I may be completely wrong but... it's possible they didn't mention it considering development was moved to the West for future titles.

34 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Erm... that isn't how business works, what you just said is like... completely wrong.

I trust you understand that you're not actually looking at a business plan. This is a facts free announcement, a broad declaration by Sega to revive old IPs and expand further into key markets - without having to make any specific promises. It’s the kind of thing that pleases busy investors without having to get into any nitty gritty details. To that end, there's no need to mention Sonic games specifically when the Sonic Franchise is always in ongoing development, consoles may come and go but more Sonic games are always being made.

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

Taxman-like ports of more of their 2D games like Ristar and Headdy would be great, too.

This. A thousand times THIS. Let Taxman remaster Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Ristar and Dynamite Headdy, then make "Ristar Mania" and "Dynamite Headdy Mania" XDD

Also a new Streets Of Rage game would rock.

It's exciting to see Sega is finally thinking on taking advantage of its glorious past. Not sure what will actually happen, but the fact they're thinking about it is already really cool.

5 hours ago, Kintor said:

So many possibilities here. I'd love to see a new Streets of Rage, especially if Yuzo Koshiro returns to do all the music.

Plus, a port of Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder to modern platforms would be cool to see. This game has never left the arcades, it deserves to fine a new audience today.

The world needs more beat'em ups!

Agree too. 2-3-4 player beat'em ups, please!

All I would need are Taxman remakes of other Mega Drive Games, more crossovers (Sega All/Superstars) and a new Jet Set Radio.

Then I can die happy...

Obsidian either has something cooking up (Alpha Protocol 2? I fucking hope not) or has plans for something in the near future. Looks quite suspicious.

Comix Zone, Streets of Rage (they're making a TV series of it, right?), Skies of Arcadia, Golden Axe, fucking Alex Kidd, fucking NiGHTS, fucking Jet Set Radio! SEGA has a lot of great IP's FFS. Any of these could return. Just put it in the hands of great developers.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll say it again. If we aren't counting Nintendo and Capcom, Sega has the absolute best stable of characters and properties in gaming. They have dozens among dozens of classics they can revive. 

• Thumbs Up 2

About time Sega realized about that. Does Sega have a new CEO or something? It's been years ignoring their past, and now... Wow.

I don't think it'll happen, but it would be so cool that they announce something about this on E3.

A bit of a long shot, I know, but a new Vectorman would be absolutely rad.  Realistically though, I'm expecting Phantasy Star, Crazy Taxi and maybe even Skies of Arcadia to make the big returns.

The problem with Dynamite Headdy or Vectorman is that technically they're not Sega IPs. Not sure if they can revive them as easily as Ristar, Streets of rage, Comix zone, etc.

• Thumbs Up 2