Awoo.

Sonic 25th Anniversary Questionnaire Event-THE END!

Kiah

1. How long have you been a Sonic fan?My memory is a little jumbled on that considering how scattered my exposure to Sonic is in my mind. One thing I know for certain is that playing Sonic Adventure 2: Battle clinched my obsession with the series moving forward.

Before this session of Sonic Adventure 2 the earliest memory I have of Sonic was this video cassette tape we have of The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog where two episodes were on it. One episode was about Sonic being hit with a slow-slow beam. And the other was about an old washed up Raccoon Superhero.

2. What was your first Sonic game?

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

3. What initially attracted you to the Sonic the Hedgehog series?

I was already familiar with it thanks to that one video cassette tape I had with the two AoSth episodes on it. However, I didn't first really get attracted to it until I saw Adventure 2 being played at the Boys and Girls club and later that one summer that defined my life as a Sonic fan moving forward took place.

It was one particular Summer Vacation and my younger brother and I were sent to stay at our Grandma's apartment in New York City. The place is extremely nostalgic now but the city never feels as grand or as big as it used to nowadays, specifically because of how much I've grown. One thing I do remember though, is my Aunt got her then husband to bring the Gamecube over for us to play with during the Summer. We thought it was just going to be for one night but it stayed there the entire time.

I also distinctly remember going into one of my uncle's rooms in the place and playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for the Genesis while I waited. I was already familiar with Sonic Adventure 2 at this point because beforehand, one Summer before, I was sent to a Boys and Girls Club (aka Hell) where they had the Dreamcast version of the game played out in the game room on repeat. It looked like a lot of fun but I could never muster up the courage to play it because I was a wimp who was intimidated just watching kids play Pokemon on their Gameboys.

It wasn't until I discovered (BY PURE CHANCE) that my Aunt's then Husband had Adventure 2 so he agreed to bring it over for us to play during the Summer. When it got there, I couldn't have turned the Genesis off fast enough and rushed into the living room to play it. He also had Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball, Super Smash Bros. Melee, and some Dynasty Warriors Game I think. But all of them weren't as interesting to me as Adventure 2. The only other one we'd MAYBE play was Melee and even then we both kind of liked the first one for the 64 more.

4. How many Sonic games do you currently have? Feel free to count duplicates!

About 24 if you count the All-Stars games and the Mario and Sonic Olympic Games series. This is including duplicates and compilations too.

I actually don't own any of the original 2D Sonic games on their own. I have them in Mega Collection and Gems Collection so I suppose the number increases if you count them all individually.

I also have two copies of Sonic Heroes. I grew up with the PS2 one and YEARS later when I got a job and some money I got the Gamecube version to play on my Wii because I heard it was SO much better... and it was! It was great. It was like falling in love all over again.

I have two copies of Sonic Generations. One for 360 and PS3.

I've bought Sonic Adventure 2 three times. Once because I think a copy was busted. And again because it came out for X-Box Live.

5. Are you more of a Classic or Modern Sonic fan?

Modern. Definitely. I can't even beat any of the Classic titles without pausing Mega Collection and saving my progress. It amazes me that people find them easy.

6. Who is your favorite Sonic character and why?

If I were to count all three of the Chaotix together as one character then I'd pick the three of them in a heartbeat. As a singular unit, they're so misfit and unique that I was drawn to them immediately when one of my Uncles popped in Sonic Heroes for me to play and pointed to the last team and said "These guys are awesome!" And indeed, they didn't look like the kind of Sonic characters I was used to at all. None of them were mammals. The purple one was a ninja with a horn on its face. The crocodile looked cool but weird and had headphones on. And the last one was an insect wearing an orange pilot shirt and a helmet. So strange.

But I like them the best because I'm fans of characters who can contribute to the plot of a game without being in line with the main heroes. Characters doing covert things in the background that have special effects on the plot are my jam. It's what I loved about Knuckles in Sonic X when he was such a loner in the first two seasons. Or Rouge in the 3rd Season when her alliances would change depending on suited her needs the most. Or the Chaotix in Season 3 where they would show up from time to time but would never outright join the Heroes. I LOVE that kind of shit. People who go on their own adventures outside of the one the main character is following and end up contributing to the plot in their own unique way. It's glorious.

We_don_t_want_to_die.png

However, if we're talking about an individual character then it's gotta be Dr. Eggman.

He had that same thing about him in Sonic X's 3rd season too where he came off like a wild-card. Same with his role in Shadow the Hedgehog. I love seeing Eggman work that role, because you never know what to make of what he does. It's often more interesting then having him as the main villain (although he works that to his advantage too). I didn't realize I liked him so much until I saw a commercial for one of Sonic X's Season 3 episodes where he was just flying around in his Eggmobile with Bokkun screaming "GO EGGMAN! GO EGGMAN! GO EGGMAN! GO! GO!" And I started doing it too. He makes evil so much fucking fun!

7. What is your favorite continuity? (SEGA, Archie, SatAM, OVA etc.)

The SEGA one.

Yeah, for as much SHIT as I give that continuity, truly, it's the one I care the most about. That's exactly WHY I give it so much shit when things are done wrong. I care the most about it. Sonic X, while I like it a lot, has a lot of weird, out of place things about it that don't stick perfectly. Archie would probably be up there too if the weirdness of it's world were also fit to be more like the SEGA world, which they tried to do but it STILL doesn't feel quite right. It's mostly just because I really don't like the "Freedom Fighters" angle where Sonic is apart of this official, government/kingdom based SYSTEM that he works for. It takes a way from the whole Adventurous feel I like.

8. What is your favorite Sonic quote? This can come from any character.

"Who's THIS broad?!" - Vector the Crocodile, Sonic Heroes, 2003.

Close second goes to "No, it's not gonna end. My stories only end when I stop running." Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic and the Black Knight, 2009.

And third is probably, "This presents a problem........." - E-102 Gamma, Sonic Adventure, 1998

9. What is your favorite story in the Sonic franchise?

I have a lot of favorite individual moments from the Sonic series that stand out a lot more than the ones from the game I'm going to choose. However, when it comes to just my favorite story all-around that's still Sonic Adventure 2's story. The whole thing of playing BOTH sides, the heroes and the villains, having their stories and perspectives overall, and having set-pieces like the entire Prison Island section where characters were scattered all over the place doing different things... it's such a great feeling.

A close second would be Eggman's Dozen from the Archie Comics. It's like Suicide Squad done right.

10. What is your favorite Sonic cartoon?

Sonic X. The Japanese Version only though.

I grew up with the 4kids English version and I loved it back then. However, that love soon turned to "nostalgic tolerance" and just recently became "Okay, this is actually a bit painful now". Cream's voice used to sound good in Season 1 but her SUPER HIGH PITCHED SCREECHING in Season 3 is unbearable! Dear lord. What the fuck?!

Plus I like the music and the original script of the Japanese version better. It's just written better and it's a lot more pleasant to the ears. 

11. What is your favorite cutscene from a Sonic game?

You could probably go down the line of all the cutscenes from Team Chaotix's section of Sonic Heroes and pick any one and random and that'd be my favorite. However, I will highlight one in particular that I feel doesn't get enough love.

12. What is your favorite Sonic game?

I keep going back and forth between Heroes, Adventure 2: Battle, and Unleashed for this one. I think in the end it might actually be Sonic Heroes though.

13. What is your favorite Sonic track both vocal and non-vocal?

Non-vocal would have to be the upside down Hang Castle tune.

Vocal would have to be the Team Chaotix theme.

14. What is your favorite move from Sonic or any other playable character?

Favorite move? Hmm... does the boost count as a move? If so then that one I guess. Either that or the homing attack. I'm not too picky. I do find Vector's ability to fire off exploding bubblegum to be quite interesting though.

15. What is your favorite Sonic soundtrack?

Sonic Unleashed's soundtrack is perfect. It's just so fucking beautiful.

16. What is your favorite image from the series? Please post it here and mention the source. 

This one right here. I always think back to this image whenever I imagine Sonic characters getting to go on actual adventures again with graphics as beautiful as the ones from Unleashed.

Image result for sonic unleashed Tails

17. Which is your favorite voice acting cast?

The current English cast we have now. They're the best we've gotten to this point which is ironic because they're the least used outside of anyone who isn't Sonic,Tails,Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, and Eggman.

18. What is your main/favorite Sonic head-canon?

The rebooted Team Chaotix met under completely different circumstances than the one from Knuckles' Chaotix. Most likely, Charmy was a lost child that Vector took in and Espio was a bit of a rogue that Vector got to see his side of things. And now they solve mysteries together!

Also, Tails has a mental problem as a result of being bullied on Westside Island where the threat of someone else taking his cherished friendship away from Sonic makes him act out. And it's only gotten worse in recent years due to being left unchecked by a doctor. Now even Eggman is a threat! 

19. What is your favorite recurring level theme (e.g. green forest, space stations, lava ruins)?

Haunted houses and scary graveyard areas. Bit of a stretch to say it's recurring because it's hardly ever used but it's my favorite one.

If not that, then cities at night. Or something with rain.

20. What is your favorite level from the Sonic games?

Probably still Hang Castle.

21. What was your most memorable year in the franchise for you? 

Probably 2006. So much insane, crazy shit was happening at around that time. I was knee deep in the Sonic community around this time and dear lord was every bit of news that came out just the most... agonizing thing. I remember not having a 360 and really wanting to play Sonic 06 just because of the news that came out about there being 9 playable characters. I couldn't have cared less about that game before I learned that, which goes to show where my loyalties lie I guess.

22. What is your one favorite thing in the entire Sonic the Hedgehog series?

The ability to see these characters interact and go on adventures.

23. What is your favorite trailer for Sonic games revealed?

Agh. So many good trailers. Lost World has trailers I go back to a lot. Unleashed had a couple really unique ones. Generations had that Classic, Dreamcast, and Modern thing going for them... in the end I'd probably say the Unleashed trailer made me the most excited though. The one that played Endless Possibilities for the first time.

24. There are many versions of the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog in the quarter century he has existed across various forms of media. Which one is your favorite version of Sonic and why?

The way Sonic was in Sonic Unleashed was about perfect for me personally. I do like how Black Knight took him and made him more rounded though so I guess the two are interchangeable. Just so long as they don't go past that anymore then they should.

25. More than a quarter of a century and the Blue Blur is still running! What keeps you around at this point?

I just love this world, it's characters, and the potential for fun adventures ahead. Out of all the continuities that exist, this is the one that inspires me and interests me the most. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Part 5 - The Last Zone:

Last year without a doubt, i had so much fun with all those clues and ... more clues, the hype pre and post 25th anniversary party, the reveal of a brand new classic game and a teaser of, then called, project sonic 2017, also the shattered world crisis was wrapped up, yeah, it was a blast of a year, and i enjoyed it a lot.

The music, music is a thing i carry with me anywhere i go, and i always have a chunk of sonic albums as well (right now it's Digi-Log Conversation, Tales of Knighthood, Face to Faith, Multi-Dimensional, Runners Complete Soundtrack, Sonic R, the Sonic Adventure Music Experience cd, and Passion & Pride). I simply love almost all the soundtracks.

The Sonic Mania trailer, as revealed in the 25th anniversary party, everyone was super hyped and the trailer did payoff, a brand new 2d game with actual sprites? that's hype, i don't know how many times i rewatched it just that night.

edit: OBJECTION!!!:

this was revealed since i posted this and is a good contender for the spot.

24. There are many versions of the iconic Sonic the Hedgehog in the quarter century he has existed across various forms of media. Which one is your favorite version of Sonic and why?

The post-SGW Sonic, just like adventure 2 sonic, he makes jokes but takes things seriously when he needs to, and his personality is consistant

25. More than a quarter of a century and the Blue Blur is still running! What keeps you around at this point?

The complete package, yeah, the community, the hype and expectations for Mania and Forces, the Boom cartoon, the comics (yeahh...  but i keep coming back and re-reading my collection), everything, i think that i'll never truly leave this fanbase 100%, this franchise was and is a big thing for me, and as i said in a previous answer, i got back into sonic, and this time i think it's permanent. : )

Edited by NikoS
  • Thumbs Up 2

Phew, this took a few days to answer, couldn't even do it in order. Spoliered to make it easier to read:

Spoiler

1. How long have you been a Sonic fan?

Since Christmas 1993, as that is when I received a Mega Drive with my first Sonic game. I had played a little previously, but I think it’s fair to say I didn’t truly become a fan until I owned a game myself.

That was Sonic 2, bundled with the aforementioned Mega Drive Christmas present. I had definitely played it at friend’s once before, but I can’t for the life of me recall if I’d played the first game before then as well.

I was raised on Mario, so platformers were my favourite genre. Sonic was the trailblazing new platform star, and that’s all it took. I think the co-op nature of Sonic 2 helped though.

Back when I had my Mega Drive, I had 2, Knuckles, Spinball and 3D. Sadly, that all went to a charity shop many moons ago. So now:

• ·         Sonic Mega Collection, Sonic Gems Collection, Sonic Adventure DX, 2 Battle, Heroes, Shadow (GC)
  • ·         Sonic Colors, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (Wii)
  • ·         Sonic Generations, Sonic 4 Eps 1 + 2 (PS3)
  • ·         Sonic 2, CD (Android)

There was also Sonic Rush Adventure, but I never really got into it and sold it after I finished it.

I hate the idea of having to split the eras to be honest, and would much rather judge games on their own merits. That said, the original games consistently knocked it out of the park, and everything since has been uneven, with great highs and terrible lows. The early 90s also had that feeling of excitement for everything new, from comics to cartoons to the games themselves.

Spoiler

I’ve always had an affinity for Tails. As a kid, I loved his ability to fly, and the shortcuts that entailed. As an adult, I find him to be an exceedingly cute smegger. I even like some of the snark when he calls out Sonic on stuff sometimes.

As a kid I had over 100 issues of the Fleetway Sonic the Comic, it did a great job filling in the gaps for backstory, then tiding me over with new plots and ideas until the next game. The way Metal Sonic went from one robot to the Brotherhood of the Metallix over a couple of years was brilliant.

Omega’s “Worthless Consumer Models!” in Sonic Heroes. The first time I heard the line, I wasn’t sure I’d heard it correctly. Then it came up a few more times, and it’s a delightfully wry bit of humour.

Whilst I did enjoy Fleetway’s adaptation of Chaotix and the whole Brotherhood of Metallix arc, my favourite sole story is actually Sonic Adventure. Simple though it may be, I enjoy how the six characters’ plots interweave and give different aspects on each scene. Tonally, I think it’s the best fit for Sonic as well. There are stakes, but it never tries to go too dark and overblown, and there are enough lighter scenes to contrast. Gamma’s in particular is a highlight.

A toughie. I’m not really a fan of any of them. I don’t find Boom particularly funny, and the faults with Underground are well known. I’ve still not got round to watching the OVA. I found Sonic X to be ok for what it was, but didn’t bother watching the whole run (and didn’t see any of Series 2 with Cosmo). Growing up, I enjoyed Adventures and had a bunch of videosm though watching today is pretty cringey. I guess SatAM, as the couple of episodes I saw a few back did seem to hold up decently enough.

Spoiler

Hidden Palace Zone, Sonic & Knuckles, when everything starts to go down. It may be brief, but they achieve so much without using any kind of dialogue. Story was basic in those days, but they really did nail it. So much drama, first action based with Eggman stealing the Master Emerald and then character based, with Knuckles clearly having to re-evaluate his decisions before asking Sonic to follow him to Sky Sanctuary.

As a single experience I still adore Sonic 2. Putting 3 & Knuckles together is a guaranteed good time, but cheating for this question in my mind. With the exception of Oil Ocean and Metropolis, I love how the levels don’t go overlong. Those two are near endgame anyway, so they get away with it. Despite being short, each level is densely populated with numerous alternative routes, allowing for great replay value. Blast through in record time or explore every nook and cranny, this game allows you to do both and doesn’t pigeonhole you into either playstyle.

Vocal it has to be one of Crush 40’s (though Waking Up is also right up there), and I’m torn. There are a few that always bring a smile to my face, but nothing prepared me for the first time I heard them with Open Your Heart. Sonic Mega Collection had some “History of Sonic” video as an extra, and watching that for the first time, the sudden switch from Sonic Jam’s hub world to the power chord and final chorus made me sit up. Unlike anything I’d expected from Sonic, and a damn good song to boot anyway.

Non-vocal is tougher, there’s so much more to choose from! I don’t even know whether to start with chiptune or real instruments! I think today (because each day I’ll change my mind) I’ll go for the jazzy Be Cool, Be Wild and Be Groovy from Sonic Adventure. This track is just so fun, and fits well with snowboarding down a mountain.

Tails’ flight. I know, easy mode, it comes in so useful for correcting jumps or finding that hidden Giant Ring. Sonic Adventure coped with it well – I know it was game-breaking, but that added to the fun! I realise it’s hard to do, but this is why I want Tails playable again over anyone else, and not in a smegging mech.

You’re cruel. I think, as almost a Greatest Hits, I should give this one to Generations. Filled with music from across all eras and plenty of obscure fan service, there is something for everyone.

Spoiler

16. What is your favorite image from the series? Please post it here and mention the source. 

sa1.thumb.png.6f1c00a8b0b3287a6f3f871ad9d722d0.png

Sonic Adventure. Quite possibly the most hilarious moment in all of the games (that was intentional, at least). Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think that is the only time in the whole game Sonic’s eyes lower like that, and I love it.

Honestly, by the time Heroes came around I felt that cast had finally found their proper voices and were at their peak. Adventures 1 and 2 were very spotty in quality, but in Heroes everyone rose their game. The script doesn’t help them, but they still would have made Shadow more bearable than a still-new 4Kids cast struggled to. Roger Craig Smith’s Sonic to me sounds like he has a permanent head cold.

I don’t really have any head-canons, I don’t tend to get that deep into any franchise really. Any questions I may have had were answered by the Fleetway Comics, such as what the Special Zone is or filling in gaps with the different Metal / Mecha Sonics. The only slight thing is even based off that. We had Metal Sonic, then years after first teasing it, they introduced a Metal Knuckles (which later appeared in Sonic R). I’d like to know what happened with a Metal Tails, you’d think the air manoeuvrability would have been advantageous. Maybe it was too difficult to build, maybe the trade-off in speed, agility and strength didn’t work out. Maybe Robotnik (as it was then) didn’t see Tails as a credible threat, so why make a Metal version?

19. What is your favorite recurring level theme (e.g. green forest, space stations, lava ruins)?

If a game doesn’t start with a Green stage, it doesn’t feel right. Sonic 2 Game Gear and your Underground Zone, I’m looking at you! Colors almost got away with it as there was still plenty of decorative flora around, then Planet Wisp came along halfway through and threw me for a loop.

Again, nostalgia / tradition is involved here, but some of the best levels in Sonic games have been openers (start strong, right?), and a lot of them were Green Hill / Forest / Beach areas. I can’t help but have an affinity for them.

Geez. This may be nostalgia speaking, but I think I have to go for Emerald Hill. Like the incredible Green Hill from the original, this level sets up the rest of the game perfectly. It might not be quite as big as its predecessor, but Emerald Hill is just as densely populated, and even funner to speed run.

Spoiler

Going to take a 12 month period over a calendar year, if that’s allowed. The summer of 2003 saw me rekindle my love for Sonic, after a multi-year absence. Having missed out on the Saturn and Dreamcast, I hadn’t played a new Sonic game since Sonic 3D. Cue Sonic Mega Collection’s release on the Gamecube, which unleashed a huge wave of nostalgia. I quickly followed that up with Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and discovering this very website. That led me to the hype for Sonic X and Sonic Heroes, and I finally became a member after 100% completing that game. That led me to many fun discussions on the new game and new perspectives on the past and future on the franchise, and everything looked rosy. Things died down slightly after the summer of 2004 (and let’s not talk about the effect Shadow had on the franchise in 2005...). But what a year that was to come back into the Sonic fold.

The games, and if we have to be specific, Sonic 2.

Oh, tough one. It’s between Heroes and Generations. Heroes, as I’ve explained above somewhere, was the first game to be released after I came back to the franchise, and I bought into the hype. CGI Trailer with Crush 40 got me hook, line and sinker. Years later though, Generations got me with the surprise appearance of Classic Sonic and Green Hill Zone, and marks the last time I got mega hyped for Sonic. I think for where I was and memories, it has to be Heroes.

I think Fleetway’s Sonic would be my favourite. Yes, there is criticism of his attitude to others, and it is somewhat warranted, but for years that was the only Sonic with any personality I was getting. He got results, he dissed Robotnik, and would show a decent range of emotions, not just snark! I got pretty attached for those 5 years I read the comic to this interpretation.

Two things, I guess. I am no die-hard, I just want good games. I thoroughly enjoyed Generations, but haven’t bought a new game since, spin-off or otherwise. Oh wait, Sonic 4 Episode 2. Doesn’t count.

The other thing is the community. I am mainly a lurker these days, but part of that is I don’t often buy brand new games, so I haven’t had much to contribute in general. But Summer of Sonic is always a blast, and last year was fantastic. So a combination of both – a hope for new good games, and good fan spirit.

• Thumbs Up 1

11. What is your favorite cutscene from a Sonic game?

This answer ties into one I had for a question in my previous post, but that scene before the final Sonic VS Shadow fight in SA2 immediately came to mind. It's just those two having a brief conversation before duking it out but it's like...a weirdly iconic scene.

A very close runner up is Gamma's ending cutscene.

12. What is your favorite Sonic game?

Even after all these years Sonic Adventure 1 holds up for me in terms of how much I enjoy the hell out of it. It's a 3D game that came out in the 90s so it's a mess, but oh well. The charm of it all outweighs the technical issues for me.

13. What is your favorite Sonic track both vocal and non-vocal?

Vocal: Open Your Heart!

Non-vocal: Uhhhh I'll just pick randomly since there's so much to choose from. How about Windy Valley?

14. What is your favorite move from Sonic or any other playable character?

Never really thought about it before. I guess something I've recently been thinking about is how much I like the tricks in Rush (Adventure), it's more fun to me than collecting Rings or destroying enemies for boost energy. I know Colours (sort of) and Generations flirted with the concept but limiting it to just one or two objects (the special ramps and rainbow rings) was kind of a bummer.

15. What is your favorite Sonic soundtrack?

Honestly gotta give this to Unleashed, if I can only pick one. Day stages, night stages, bosses, they're all amazing tracks.

• Thumbs Up 4

Ever since I was a child, actually. I do not specifically remember when, or even what age I was, but I was young. So, probably a little over a decade?

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle.

Nothing, I just got a Sonic game given away to me. Before Sonic, my gaming life was dominated by racing and Wolfenstein. I'd play nothing else. Then a friend of my dad gave away their GameCube to us with some games, SA2 among them.
The cover looked cool, Sonic himself looked cool, everything looked cool. So I popped in SA2 for my first GameCube game.
Then that's when I got into Sonic.

...*whistle* I don't know. I actually attempted to count, and I still don't know.

There is no Classic, there is no Modern. He's Sonic, ain't he? :)

Um...
Hm.
Skip?
I've no bloody clue. Probably Sonic himself. Maybe ol' Knuckles, or Eggman. Metal Sonic? Blaze, probably? Dunno.
I honestly could not tell you. It's always been my quirk to not exactly play favourites.

Archie, no question.

"Way past cool!"
~ Sonic, many times in the 90s.

Sonic Unleashed.

Sonic Boom!
SatAM is a runner-up, though.

Probably Sonic and Shadow's second meet-up in SA2. Simple, yet powerful.

Tied between SA2, Unleashed, Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Colours.

Vocal?
Endless Possibilities. It perfectly encapsulates who Sonic is. A carefree guy who runs for as long as he can, never stopping and always looking for adventure.

Non-vocal?
Solaris Phase 2.
It speaks for itself.

I've always liked the Bounce Bracelet.
boing boing boing boing boing

Sonic Unleashed! Never has a soundtrack managed to be so multicultural, and sound so beautiful doing it.

Well, I do like the wallpapers from Sonic Screensaver. They're quite enjoyable, and colourful.

Current, but I do enjoy Ryan Drummond.

Sonic does have a home, in Tails' Workshop! Sonic and Tails are basically bros, it makes sense that they live together.

Levels of heavy machinery are fun to me (Metropolis, Final Egg, Crazy Gadget).

Seaside Hill Modern, Sonic Generations. So open, so fun, so COLOURFUL!

21. What was your most memorable year in the franchise for you.
2011, probably because of Sonic Generations.

Being able to strive for the high ranks! I'm very much a completionist, and Sonic games offer so much replayability for those kinds of people.

Sonic Unleashed E3 2008 trailer.
Current ones? Sonic Mania reveal.

Tied between SEGA Sonic and Archie Sonic. Why? I'unno....

Honestly? No damn clue.
Maybe it's the Archie comics. Maybe it's the fan games. Maybe it's whatever Sonic gets up to next in his next games. Maybe it's Aaron's wackiness on the official Sonic social media channels. Maybe it's the hysterics and humour (and occasionally, memes) of the fandom. Maybe it's all the fan content like art and stories.
Maybe it's Maybelline.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel like wanting to participate in this event to make up for my lacking presence, so here we go:

For as long as I can remember, I’d say since 1995.

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991).

I got attracted to the series by playing original Sonic the Hedgehog game on Sega Genesis.

About 20 of them, and that’s not counting duplicates.

I guess it all depends on whatever interests me at the moment, but I would have to be a Classic Sonic fan.

latest?cb=20120307011450

I’m probably gonna go with Tails. I always feel like Tails doesn’t ever get a chance to shine all that much, nor do the others for that matter, and I don’t think he ever will in the main games

Honorable mention:

1010133-advance3_knuckles.png

Knuckles, he's one of my favorite characters while growing up with the classic series. He is someone who I too feel that doesn’t get any chance to shine in the main games and nowadays is always getting treated like an absolute butt-monkey throughout.

I would have to probably choose the OVA's continuity.

This little quote here from Sonic Adventure 1: Tails: "That's Eggman! I wonder what happened to Sonic?"

Sonic Unleashed.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, but the Sonic the Hedgehog OVA comes a pretty close second.

The Opening cinematic from Sonic Unleashed was probably the best cutscene for me in any Sonic game.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

For vocal: it’s Open Your Heart from Sonic Adventure 1. For non-vocal: it’s the Perfect Dark Gaia Final Boss theme from Sonic Unleashed.

Tails’ flight, because I love flying over levels that Sonic had trouble with.

Well… this is rather a tough decision because I’m waning between plenty of Sonic soundtracks for many years, but it recently it was boiling down to Sonic Adventure 1 and Sonic CD’s Japanese soundtrack. I think I’m going with Sonic Adventure 1. I guess it’s been hanging around with me the most for a very long time.

Sonic-Mania-poster-artwork.jpg

The English voice cast that we have now, Studiopolis.

I don't really have a favorite headcannon per say but I guess I would probably have to choose the Multiverse one, because I actually like those more than the SEGA continuity one to be honest.

I genuinely have a love for lush tropical island levels.

Lava Reef Zone

1999, it’s when I played Sonic Adventure 1 for the very first time after getting a Dreamcast for Christmas, it was pretty set in stone for me there.

The soundtrack. It's really amazing to me how for the most part the series has constantly pumped out Sonic games that had fantastic soundtracks to them.

The Sonic Mania Trailer, without a doubt, has so far been the recent Sonic game trailer that got me excited and constantly thinking about it.

Classic Sonic, it's the one that I grew up with the most and honestly I like Modern Sonic, but I just tend to gravitate back over to the Classic side on more occasions than not. I just love the simplicity and charm that the classics had going for in the 90s and how playing through the levels was a joyful treat for me. that's not to say that modern games don't have that simplicity and charm, but I guess I just love it more. I can't believe I forgot the classic gameplay since that's where it attracted me to the series the most. It felt the most comfortable to pick up and play with for me too.

Everyone here in SSMB community.

• Thumbs Up 2

latest?cb=20150129021928

Okay there's a lot of good images to choose from, but this cover always makes me laugh, so

The current cast is my favourite, overall. There's some voices that could be better (Shadow's the main example) but I feel like they could easily be salvaged with different voice direction.

I still like the thought that GUN knew full well Sonic wasn't the one who stole the Emerald and just framed + arrested him to cover up Shadow's existence. I know this is the same game where Amy mistakes Shadow for Sonic but uh...yeah.

Hmmm...this might be an odd choice but beach levels have been on my mind lately. Emerald Coast is one of my favourite levels in the series for example, I'd love to see more of that.

City Escape. Yeah, okay, part of it is nostalgia but c'mon. It's still fun to run through to this day.

• Thumbs Up 3

A'ight, time for Round 4: Episode I (Of 1):

This image always me chuckle: (Unlike Knuckles)

3e3.jpg

(This image comes from the 1993 picture book, Sonic's Shoes Blues, by Golden Books)

After marathoning the entirety of SatAM, there's just something amusing about a SWATbot hammering in a sign like this. But what really makes this my favorite image is how usable it is on forums. Especially this one.

This one easily goes to the current cast. Sure, some of them had a rocky start in games like Free Riders, but the Boom tv show proves these guys can do incredible work when they all record their lines together and are given context for their lines. (Not having that is what killed stuff like Sonic X's cast) Even actors who have had little-to-no dialogue like Quinton Flynn (Silver), Kyle Hebert (Big), and Vic Mignogna (Omega) manage to sound top-notch with what they've said!

Remember the Super Genesis Wave at the end of Archie's Worlds Collide? The one that basically reset the Sonic multiverse? (And canonically erased the Underground and X universes) Since Sonic Boom debuted a little while after that phenomenon, I like to imagine that the Sonic Boom world was created by the SGW. So not only did Archie!Eggman erase the three worst iterations of Sonic (Pre-reboot Archie, and the aforementioned two), but he also created the two best! (Boom and Post-reboot Archie)

I've always been a fan of carnival/amusement park-themes Zones. Not so much Carnival Night (Not just because of that barrel, but it seems a bit too bland for my tastes), but Twinkle Park's roller-coaster/bumper-car track, the entirety of Sonic Colors's interplanetary attractions, and the nightmarish Eggmanland that never made me want to eat a hotdog again, all manage to be nonstop thrill rides- and there's no waiting in line!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again- Aquarium Park will always be my number 1! Not only does it have gorgeous Eastern-themes aesthetics, plenty of speed and platforming, and the best music in the history of anything, but it's also the only water level in which Sonic CAN ACTUALLY SWIM!!! Suck it, Hydro City!

• Thumbs Up 3

Yo, let me take a shot at this!

Since 1992 based on my mother's word.

Sonic's 1 and 2 for the Sega Genesis

To be frank, I have no goddamn clue. It was a blue hedgehog running at superspeed, and I liked it. Anything deeper than that is something of a mystery even to myself given I was at least a year or two old when I was said to have even had an interest in the series.

I'm a Sonic fan in general. I've been playing his games for as long as I can remember, and so I'm not too picky over Classic and Modern, and I find the divide to be one of the absolute dumbest things to ever happen among both fans and the folks in charge of the franchise.

If I were forced to pick between the two, I'd lean Modern, even tho I started playing Sonic around the start of the Classic era and that my favorite Sonic game is a Classic Sonic game. Not that I dislike Classic Sonic, but I like the taller, streamlined, flexible and green eyed Sonic by comparison--it's just much cooler and energetic in design, and I prefer detailed over simple designs.

I hate this question limiting me to just one, so I'm gonna go with a top 5 in no ranking order. First up:

Conquering Storm

latest?cb=20151021024422

Oh, like you didn't see this one coming...B)

I really like her design for one. She's one of Eggman's 13 most elite cyborg troops, and she's a cyborg ninja/samurai/i-don't-know-what-the-fuck-they-have-her-as-but-I-like-it. Not sure what really made me latch onto her so hardcore, but I guess that's just the beauty of it. A shame Ian doesn't get much of a chance to develop her, but it says a lot she's considered a fan favorite in the comics despite her minimal appearances.

Shadow the Hedgehog

200?cb=20140709104634

I've been fond of this character since his debut, and although his game has definitely been a screw up he still has a lot of flexibility, utility, and a large aura to his character. I primarily favor his Archie characterization which is basically his game self plus added humor and far less overpowered when other characters screw up around him or things just blow up in ways he doesn't see coming--he's still as powerful as he is in the games, and is not someone most people want to throw down with, but he's has enough weaknesses to keep him grounded and not so perfect (hell Amy even landed a good hit on him!). I can't really say all that much for him in the games after Sonic 06 tho...

Knuckles the Echidna

2701306895_e9dd71e52b_z.jpg?zz=1

Knuckles is the posterchild of what I feel is wasted potential in the games, as there is decades worth of material to expand and build upon with him. He has a massive island with a lost ancient culture, is the guardian of the ultra-powerful Master Emerald that can put the lesser Chaos Emeralds to shame, and is essentially the mountain to Sonic's wind in his firm and near-unshakeable resolve to maintain what he has left of that world. The games essentially chucked all that out in favor of him simply being a tagalong that is a weak shadow of his former self, but the comics certainly didn't let any of that go to waste. Chronicles also tried to build something out of that, which brings me to...

Procurator Shade the Echidna

latest?cb=20081027092444

An obscure choice, but one who I favor for her design and what she could have further built into along with the rest of the Nocturnus Clan. She's the top warrior of the Nocturne, practically second only to Imperator Ix (another favorite, but not one on this top 5), and has a very unique design for an echidna. A shame she was essentially Ms. Exposition in Chronicles, and an even bigger shame she's barred from appearing in the comics because boy do I know they would make excellent use of her if they got the first chance.

Nephthys the Vulture

tumblr_ny0r52Avi41rjln1bo1_500.png

Lastly, but not least, this woman! Just look at that goddamn, magnificent pose she's making, it just screams strict authority and power. Nephthys design is fearsome, and I can't help but love it on that basis alone, but there's a degree of complexity to her character that also makes me interested in seeing more of her. She joined the Eggman Empire on the belief that Eggman can't be stopped and doing so will only provoke him into bringing out even bigger guns in his quest for world domination to the detriment of the entire world in the process, yet she also tries to keep a balance of power so that Eggman never wins but neither does he lose--not the most loyal of Eggman's elite. I for one would actually prefer her to be genuinely loyal to Eggman as an anti-villain that sees the heroes as just as destructive and inconsiderate, and one who only joined Eggman in order to keep a degree of safety as opposed to fighting him and risking the loss of everything she holds dear in the process--now that I would find more motivating and believable.

Says a lot that I have more to say of her than that of Conquering Storm, who is actually my favorite over Nephthys.

Archie, Ian Flynn-era (pre- and post-reboot), hands down.

It has given me almost exactly what I want in terms of writing: world building, humor, dark and intense moments, breather moments, a mixing of the characters, characterization on the cast predominantly as individuals, and much more that I haven't gotten much, if at all, from the games since SA2 and Unleashed (to an extent). It's far more consistent (or at least makes a greater attempt to be compared to others), takes advantage of the everything in the franchise it can have, and is very rich, detailed and connected, which is what I really like in my settings, and has proven to me how these things could work if the games were to take more semblance of the world, characters, and plot devices it already has as opposed to the games just throwing them away for something entirely different with no regards to even trying to work with existing elements. On top of that, under Ian's direction, it gives greater prominence to the game cast that is neglected in the SEGAverse, like heavy-hitters Knuckles and Shadow, especially Knuckles as they don't just have him or--any character for that matter--tagalong just because he's expected. And I like how they keep Shadow serious and powerful while also adding levity to him, showing that humor does not make a character any less of what they are in itself. And it has surprised me with things I wouldn't normally have liked in the games, like Big the Cat actually being useful enough to be one of the main characters instead of a minor--and forgetable--side character, which isn't something I would have said or been fond of under any other conditions. Heck, pre-reboot, characters I didn't notice or cared about were a lot more interesting and likable when Ian went to work on them, which is why it's a shame that we can no longer use them again.

In addition to all that, it has shown that elements from a different continuities (mainly SEGA, SATAM, and to a minor extent AoSTH) can all work together in one combined setting, and has kept alive and even brought back to life old cartoon characters would would have probably been limited to just the continuity they were in. That, and I love the new elements in Archie, mainly the Egg Bosses, a group of 12-13 flesh and blood people of varying loyalties who willingly work under Eggman as his most elite soldiers--oh, and Eggman actually has an empire, even if it's not as large as it was pre-Reboot. Great that it isn't just Eggman working by himself trying to take over the world, as well as giving varying shades of conflict instead of the usual black-and-white fare while firmly establishing them as antagonists that must be stopped.

Aside from that, it fares much better with building things up that any other continuity, making sure that things make sense for why they happened, like Sonic and Tails having a legit fist-fight of their own free wills (despite how poor the motive was and it's resolution, but even those aren't entirely out of nowhere than they are misplaced compared to their random spat they had in Lost Worlds by comparison). And post-reboot actually manages to make me care for the characters or see them as a threat, like the Deadly Six actually being much more threatening compared to how they were in the games (and despite how much Worlds Unite sucked).

And more importantly, I'm glad that (for the time being) many characters I liked in other continuities I liked that have long since ended are able to live on in here.

What's sad is that my #1 favorite continuity would have been SEGA were it not for them disregarding much of the continuity they've established whenever they bring in something new, but I've grown to see it as disappointing over time.

Damn, this franchise is not known too much for it's quotes, but if I had to search for one:

"As long as they're nice, I don't care what anyone is." ~ Big the Cat, Sonic Universe Spark of Life Arc

Says a lot that I'm quoting Big the Cat of all characters, huh?

Rather hard to choose just one. You give me solid writing, with internal logic, consistency, and intensity or decently crafted, and just about anything can be among my favorites. But for this, I'll go with a top three:

Eggman's Dozen (Archie Sonic 83-87) - Because seeing Eggman in action with his Egg Bosses is awesome.

SA2 - poor aging aside, it was one of the most intense and decently written stories we've had before Unleashed. Seeing the story from the villians' side as well as the heroes and ending with both trying to save the world from utter annihilation? With that kind of high tension and stakes, there's a reason this game still holds up to many fans despite it not holding up as strong today as it did back in the early-2000s.

Unleashed(game)/Shattered World Crisis (Archie Sonic 252-287, excluding anything from World's Unite) - Okay, I put these two together because they're both a bit of a mixed bag even for me and have weaknesses that their counterparts strengthen. What the game suffers is how poorly in took advantage of its setting and stakes given that it was a world event that could and should have involved every known character barring a few like Silver and Blaze, but it handled it's endgame with intense flare and was decent in overall structure; what the comic suffers is pacing, which kinda led to characters like Chip not getting his full characterization given that he's pretty central to the plot as well as it rushing to the end just to be done with, but it blows the game out of the water in terms of it actually using most of it's known cast and giving them characterization they never got due to their absence or non-existence in the games, as well as making the world splitting apart a massive crisis that needed to be dealt with as opposed to something everyone on the planet really just shrugged and moved on like very little happened.

Honorable mention: Archie Sonic 175 - Eggman brings out his latest mech and wins a BRUTAL one-on-one fight with Sonic. That's hard not to like, and Sonic could only dent the mech's shield with his strongest ability barring his superform.

If I had to pick, it would probably be the OVA simply because the other cartoons don't seem to age well in writing (AoSTH, SatAM, Underground) or don't seem all that captivating to me (X, Boom).

This scene just really delivers the stakes between Sonic and Eggman, and how serious they are as they get ready to throwdown while freefalling to the Earth's core!

Runner up would be the scene where Eggman neutralizes Super Sonic, but I felt that one was too easy. lol

Sonic 3 and Knuckles. It has the most layered and explorative level design as of now, a diverse style of play between three characters that is simple yet game-changing between the three, and makes a rather easy to understand story even if it's not very elaborate. Now imagine if we could actually get this kind of quality in a 3D Sonic game?

Will post the rest later...

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Conquering Storm's Servant said:

Rather hard to choose just one. You give me solid writing, with internal logic, consistency, and intensity or decently crafted, and just about anything can be among my favorites. But for this, I'll go with a top three:

Eggman's Dozen (Archie Sonic 83-87) - Because seeing Eggman in action with his Egg Bosses is awesome.

SA2 - poor aging aside, it was one of the most intense and decently written stories we've had before Unleashed. Seeing the story from the villians' side as well as the heroes and ending with both trying to save the world from utter annihilation? With that kind of high tension and stakes, there's a reason this game still holds up to many fans despite it not holding up as strong today as it did back in the early-2000s.

This scene just really delivers the stakes between Sonic and Eggman, and how serious they are as they get ready to throwdown while freefalling to the Earth's core!

Holy shit. You chose SA2 and Eggman's Dozen just like I did.

You even remembered the Unleashed cutscene that I forgot to talk about. Mad respect.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'll say about 7 Years.

2. What was your first game?

Sonic Heroes.

3. What initially attracted you to the Sonic the Hedgehog series?

Really good Sonic Fan-Games.

7 or 8.

I'm a Modern Sonic Fan.

I don't want to be know as an "Edgy Sonic Fan" but it's Shadow, because the past is complicated and people can theorize about it, I love theories.

SEGA because I've never watched or read any other Sonic stuff other than SEGA.

Find The Computer Room!

Sonic Unleashed's story.

Neither Sonic X nor Sonic BOOM, I didn't watch the rest.

Sonic Unleashed.

Open Your Heart K-Klub Remix and Main Menu Theme From Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed.

I am not sure about this one, so I'm going to skip it.

Isn't question 13 the same thing? I am just gonna say it is, "Green Hill Zone" soundtrack

EDIT: Sonic 1, you mean? Yeah, let's go with that.

Image result for sonic images

Dunno, None?

I don't read Sonic Head-canons, so this doesn't have an answer.

I like City or Town-ish kind of level.

Rooftop Run Act 1 Day (Sonic Unleashed).

Custom Hero Character in the upcoming Sonic Game, Sonic Forces.

Lots of trailers, the best one is the Pre-order Sonic Mania Trailer

15th anniversary Sonic, he had so many emotions

I just didn't want to leave the Sonic Franchise.

That was alot to say, it took me 1 hour to type the whole thing, it was cool to share my opinion.

Edited by Kiah
Edited answer for Question 15 to make it satisfactory.

Since 2007, so that's 10 years

My first Sonic game was either Advance 3, Battle or '06. Not sure, but I think it was '06. Yeah, not a good start.

I began liking the Sonic series because of the character himself. At that time, he and Tails just seemed so cool to 6 year old me.

All of the main console games, plus some handheld games. I have about 6 copies of Heroes, and two copies of Sonic 2.

Still like Classic, but Modern has grown on me quite a lot.

My favourite Sonic character would be Sonic himself, with Tails in a close second. Sonic is my favourite, because he's the main character obviously.

Used to be Sega, but I started reading the comics two years ago when I was getting into Marvel and now Archie has become my favourite. Shame Archie have probably taken Sonic outside and shot him at dawn for Riverdale (a crap TV series if you ask me), just like Mega Man.

I have two:

• My favourite serious quote is "Oh yeah, this is happenin" from SA1.
  • My favourite cheesy quote is a tie between Eggman's infamous "Get A Load Of This" from SA1 and "We're on our way to the Ark, so I guess that means we're going too" from Shadow.

SA1 most definitely. 

Unpopular opinion here, but I actually prefer Japanese Sonic X to SatAM (I can't stand Jaleel's voice of Sonic!). The 4kids dub is terrible, but the Japanese dub has grown on me, probably influenced by my liking of anime in its original Japanese without the crappy dubs (with the exception of Dragon Ball Z, Super & GT).

A tie between the SA1 Station Square flooding cutscene and the Sonic 06 opening cutscene for Sonic's story. Y'know, the only good thing about 06.

For a long time, this was SA1, but it is now CD upon playing it properly for the first time late last year, which is being given a run for its money by Forces and Mania.

Vocal: Seven Rings In Hand (Crush 40)

Non-Vocal: Crank The Heat Up!!!... for Final Egg

A tie between Chaos Control and Chaos Blast. I've always liked the Chaos attacks, I don't really know why.

Favourite is a tie between SA1 and SA2. Both have great level themes, with SA1 having a greater mix of rock, jazz, electronic and orchestral themes, but SA2 has the awesome rock themes such as Gun Convoy Race, Green Forest, and Pyramid Cave.

htgfzs.png

Sonic Adventure 2 cutscene before the Finalhazard boss fight.

Original Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and Heroes voice cast, ie the one with Drummond in it. I dislike 4Kids solely because of Griffith's Shadow voice which sounds too raspy and too much like Batman. I hate it so much that I actually prefer Kirk Thornton's voice of Shadow.

I've liked this one: "The reason everyone thought Sonic stole the emerald instead of Shadow is because Gun didn't want the public to know about their secret project Shadow at all and changed the narrative."

19. What is your favorite recurring level theme (e.g. green forest, space stations, lava ruins)?]

I've always been a fan of the snow levels (Icecap, White Acropolis, White Park).

Tough one. My favourite level is probably Ice Cap from Sonic 3 or Crisis City (Modern) in Generations.

2011, because it was the 20th anniversary and Sega did so much to celebrate. A collectors edition for Generations which I regretfully never got, an AR app, a tonne of toys, pocket watches, a fantastic game that was too short in my eyes, a statue that is now worth a pretty penny, there was so much.

My favourite thing in the series is probably the sheer speed of the gameplay. It was the game's unique selling point, and continues to be a draw to the series.

Forces, because it's the only trailer I've watched along with Mania.

Probably Dreamcast Sonic, I've never been a fan of how linear the Boost formula is in Unleashed, Colours and Generations, however Forces may test that. I've also never liked how most Boost levels have a massive emphasis on 2D, especially in Colours.

The comics, the merchandise, and the two great upcoming games that we know well and truly by now.

• Thumbs Up 4

Possibly an odd answer, but 2005. Shadow getting a spinoff (even if it didn't turn out to be what I wanted) and the introduction of one of my favourite newer characters (Blaze) makes for a pretty memorable year for the franchise...for me, anyway. I think that's roughly around the time I started following Archie Sonic too?? That may have been 2004 though.

Oh jeez. Uhhhh...I guess I'll say the characters. In spite of the general writing quality, I sincerely think the series has a great cast that's unfortunately been misused (or ignored) over the years.

You can't beat those Mania trailers, though I certainly hope they try in the future.

Good ol' game Sonic. Although if I have to pick a design I'd say Modern from 2007 / 08 and onwards, especially after a few of the minor tweaks since then. Varying quality of renders and such aside, the base design looks great nowadays.

I still enjoy the games and the franchise in general. I'd say the friends I made here too, but not many of 'em are that into Sonic anymore anyway so...yeah, it's really just that I'm still invested in the series and don't feel that cynical about it (certain aspects of it, maybe, but not the thing as a whole).

• Thumbs Up 3

Phew, this became a long one. I hope I won't break anything with this. ^_^ 

Let's get started:

A casual not that active fan for over ten years, most active fan period for me started around 2-3 years ago though.

Can’t recall too much of it but I think it was a 2D game, probably from the Classic era.

First it just was around so it was easy (for example if I recall it right I did see Sonic X on TV at one point, around that Metarex part I suppose) to be a somewhat casual fan. I got more and more deeper into the fandom by reading Archie’s Sonic comics, which are actually the thing that has kept me around even now when the games are a bit lightweight –storywise-  (and occupied with different kind of ideas than those I enjoy most) for me.

Let’s find out:

result; at least nine games, some fluctuation may occur since my room is a mess when it comes to this kind of arrays. And I’m still on hunt for some games at the moment.

I’m not that sure, since what’s considered ‘Modern Sonic’ is a veeery fluctuating variable for me at least. Still, I suppose it’s consistent enough for me to pick it over ‘Classic’. -_-

Well, naming just one isn’t really that possible.

I like pretty much every character that are more or less exclusive for the comics (save one(?) main game cast one), pretty funny thing actually now that I think of it, it’s somehow easier to me find the 'comics-cast' really likable. :huh:

If I cut it down enough, there’ll be two guys left;

Tails and Antoine.

For example, somehow I pretty much felt for Tails (about his frustration(?))all the way down to the “House of Cards”. Actually I’d love to know where that alternate universe is (and how to get there) where Mr. Flynn could’ve made it a longer arc (as he has implied in one episode of the BumbleKast was in his intentions) than it ended up being and get to read it. It would’ve been interesting, but then again, I’m not that sour over this thing.

In games though… well, I’d like to think Tails is still a child even when he’s so overly smart/intelligent since that makes some parts in some stories more relevant, though they’d still need some more build-up so that my imagination wouldn’t be the only backup I have thinking about those might work at some level a bit better. Whew, that was quite a monster of a sentence.

Antoine is just Antoine, the way he can act in both ways (showing fear/pulling somewhat crazy stunts as he himself implied at one point in StH #272 by saying he must be a fool/crazy) is interesting aspect. It brings some ‘normal’ feeling in the scene, I myself would probably be worse in a situation like they’ve been in the comics, I wouldn’t probably be as much of use as he’s been even in his worst. :rolleyes:

… or maybe a bit better than in those ‘early’ cases, I suppose. And SatAM, maybe. It really depends on things.

And I do dig that brown colour he has nowadays, I’ve always loved that brown… :D

Archie Sonic, no contest. I dig both Pre- and Post-SGW continuities, maaaybe a tiny bit more the Pre- though… Mr. Flynn is just that good of dot-connecting it was growing even more and more interesting by every issue.

Then again the Post- version isn’t bad either; I just hope we’d see some stuff again at some point since we finally started to get out of worldbuilding phase. Though I think some stories would have benefitted of more pages for them, they started to grow pretty similar for a short period of time.

One of my favourites is from StH #205 when Eggman had it rough mentally speaking. *

latest?cb=20100420150309

And of course there’s that one from the OVA, “Strange, isn’t it?

Probably some arcs in Archie Sonic comic are going to claim this place. The ones I liked in Pre-SGW were that “Anonymous was A.D.A.M” –one, “Eggman Empire”, “House of Cards”, the whole Moebius thing in-between Enerjak and Iron Dominion, Iron Dominion arc(?), and what the build-up for “Mecha-Sally” arc(?), also I enjoyed a lot of Sonic Universe stories “The Tails Adventure”, “Silver Saga” and “30 Years Later”.

About Post-SGW, I liked “Countdown to Chaos”, “Waves of Change”, “Control”, “Champions”, StH #272, and for the Universe stories I think “Spark of Life”, “Eggman’s Dozen” and “The Case of the Pirate Princess” were the ones I liked most.

And I did like SA2 and S&tBK too, considering the games.

SatAM had some interesting plotbuilding and such but by all means it’s not perfect. I do think Robotnik’s voice fits this incarnation like a glove, and the voice acting is certainly one of the show’s strong points.

OVA had interesting takes, am I the only one here that considers President’s daughter more of a person inside of a furry fandom than an actual cat-thingy/something? Oh yes, Old Man Owl looked so hip wearing Sonic’s favourite clothes and all… that was pretty funny I think. But I think OVA could be a bit shorter considering the stuff happening on it, at some places it felt a bit slow for my liking.

Sonic X was interesting, but yeah, Chris wasn’t that interesting. The other people were much more interesting (those around him especially) but then again, when a character is bland some could think he’d be a good audience surrogate or something. Was it one of those things Japanese kids shows sometimes have, that they need to have surrogate character(s) if the other cast is too different from humans, like Sonic characters tend to be? Or have I got it all wrong? :huh:

AoStH is best when put into Robotnik poops on YouTube. :D Again he has a voice that fits the incarnation but while he could be intimidating in some cases he seemed to be pretty much that kind of a man who gets stomped over by women all too easily. And this cartoon really took the interesting cast idea to the next level… it’s sometimes like one of those shows that had episodes probably made on high, no offense. I just can’t consider many getting such high-flown ideas for a show like this. It’s still amusing all the same though.

This is in no order really, I’m just throwing those in I find amusing enough for my liking.

Maybe the first Sonic cutscene in SA2(B), that one before the City Escape stage. It had the spirit but it felt comfortable enough, not too cheeky and somewhat casual. Maybe it’s the background music or voice acting or word choices or the fact this was something akin to those quick ones people pull out when they feel stressed and try to lighten things up. B)

At this moment, I’d say SA2(B), it has the balance between different elements, like more than just one playstyle (though I find SA style structure more appealing considering this kind of element), easily one of best of the games I’ve played to this day as far as I’m concerned. I have motivation for playing it even if I’m horrible gamer when it comes to the platformers like this. I even managed to pull through that Air Necklace route of a death trap, actually on the 2nd try even, I felt amazed because of that…

And I do like S&tBK overall, not just one part but many, the music is fitting, plot has some weight in a good way, I love swinging around with a sword/Wiimote… ^_^

Jeez, these are going to be more of a lists than just one options. The order is what comes to my mind first.

Vocal: Live and Learn(SA2), What I’m Made of(Heroes), Open Your Heart(SA), His World(’06)(‘main’, Zebrahead and Crush 40 versions), Dreams of an Absolution(’06)(both ‘main’ and remix), Un-Gravitify(Zero Gravity)(‘main’ & Crush 40), Escape from the City(SA2), It Doesn’t Matter (SA2)…

Non-vocal: Masters of the Desert(SA2), Accordion Song(’06), My World(Heroes), This Way Out(SA2), That’s the Way I Like It(SA2), Keys the Ruin(SA2), Soarin’ Over the Space(SA2), Cannon’s Core (SA2)(all versions), Down in the Base(SA2), On the Edge(SA2), Chemical Plant Zone(StH2)…

There might be more of these, I’m putting in just the ones I remember( for obvious reasons). ^_^

…Spin Dash? Sorry, I’m not that creative in this answer. :rolleyes:

… though that Heroes move where Vector pukes out musical notes is always a hilarious one, let’s say that’s the one.

Yeah, Vector puking notes in Heroes is awesome. :D Team Chaotix Team Blast move though… well… too interesting for me.

Either SA2 or ’06.

There are many, but this just came to my mind, being one of the many;

StH # 230: Pre-SGW Eggman trying to reset the world but failing after he did it… long story, hilarious page. Just look all those expressions, I really love it when an artist has a knack for making expressions look like this. *

latest?cb=20130508173731

Naming just one cast is an impossible task for me to handle. I do like many of Dr.Robotnik’s/Eggman’s voices since they fit to the interpretations of him occurring respectively.

If I’d need to pick one, it would be maybe the one in SA2, say what you will but I enjoy it when the technicalities give me the permission of doing so, the Battle version at least has some difficulties technically speaking.

Multiverse consisting of different continuities rather than the Sega game ‘continuity’ being ‘the only one allowed’. It makes everything just so much easier to handle, for me at least. ^_^

The recurring elements I like most… maybe tech bases/space stations. They’re usually pretty nice as far as I recall. ;)

Iron Gate in SA2(B). I don’t know why but I just find it so amusing shooting down all those robots while marching and jumping around as Dr. Eggman on his Eggwalker. :D

Maybe last year since there was so much happening in a very short periods of time, Project 2017 being a good example of how quiet Sega kept for such a long time, and even when they released a tidbit of an info it was just that for some time. They really did stick to their guns this time I suppose.

Mr. Flynn probably, he makes stuff interesting. Very good at connecting dots I’d say which was extremely helpful in Pre-SGW continuity I think. Also the fact he can be so professional when it comes to explaining the decisions he makes when writing for the comics about certain themes is very awesome for me. The facts he can reason why somethings are done the way they are and the fact the reasons are logical and understandable are something I really appreciate about him.

:huh:

Actually, I’d say pretty much anybody working with the franchise with passion, since that kind of people tend to put a lot of effort into making stuff great. ^_^

After some long thinking, I came to the conclusion that at the moment “Sonic The Hedgehog (2006): E3 2005 Technical Demonstration / Reveal Trailer” would be my pick.

Maybe Archie Sonic, he shows such a large scale of emotions quite easily as far as I'm concerned, which makes him more natural and likable for me.

Plus I like the art style comics/artists have had for Sonic (as well as for the others) for ~10 years now. Maybe the way the art delivers the emotions is the reason why I consider that incarnation well made on that aspect. ^_^

The comics have been the strongest reason for me, I hope they do exist after this long ‘pause’ they’ve been in for quite some time. ^_^

*Pictures came from Mobius Encyclopaedia:

http://archiesonic.wikia.com/wiki/Dr._Ivo_"Eggman"_Robotnik/Pre-SGW

• Thumbs Up 3

Alrigty, I decided to do some more questions. And by some, I mean "all the rest of them."

Never was super clear on that....though I suppose the games would be the closest thing. Archie would be the second, though i haven't been keeping up lately.

"What you see is what you get. Just a guy who loves adventure." Sonic, Sonic Adventure 2.

Sonic Adventure 2 would probably be my fave, still. Admittedly, it might be because it was my first, but it still held up to me, in spite of its flaws.

SatAM. Or at the very least, it's the one I got the most enjoyemnt out of. I don't think it's the greatest thing in the world, and it's very much a product of the 90s, but honestly, I still had fun with it when my brother showed me the show on DVD.

Hm...I have liked a few of them over the years...what about the beginning of the Hero story in sonic Adventure 2; certainly did a good job of establishing Sonic's character for me.

Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, I admit. Yeah, I mention this game a lot, but it was my first Sonic game, and still the best, in my eyes.

Endless Possibly from Sonic Unleashed for vocal, non-vocal would be the orchestrated version in during the final battle with Dark Gaia in the same game.

The homing attack. It's simple, yet effective.

Sonic Unleash had a great The music team did a great job with that one.

I'll have to get to this one when I put up the post, but this is more to cover my butt in case technology screws me again. I'll edit it the post afterward.

EDIT: Just as promised, here it is.

kMCeOhv.jpg

This litte Christmas image. I found this on a Google search, and I first saw it on Sonic Mega Collection on the Gamecube. It's just a nice Christmas image, but it seems to speak to me for some reason. I don't know, I just like it, is all.

I'd have to say the 4kids voice cast or the current one. I admit, it took a bit, but the 4kids cast grew on me to the point that I kinda miss them. That said, the current cast also does a great job; I admit, when hearing Rodger Craig Smith's Sonic, yeah, he had a deeper voice, but he captured Sonic in my eyes.

I remember reading that Sonic wears colored contacts; I was amused by that, even if it isn't official in any way. Can't think of any others.

I admit, either space stations or cityscapes would be such. Just something about them that speaks to me.

I will always love City Escape, though Empire City's daytime stages were also awesome.

2009; it was when I really started to keep up with the series, at least the Wii installments (having gotten a Wii for Christmas in 2008).

The one thing I can almost always count on the series for is the music. No matter who makes the game, odds are, the music's gonna be entertaining.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric's first trailer. Too bad the game itself was released to negative reviews after the fact, but I was more impressionable back in 2014, and I admit, I liked what I saw there. That, and it was the trailer I really saw.

I'd have to say the games' version. Perhaps it's his versatility, or perhaps it's something else. He's the one I followed the most, at least, so he's my fave.

How did I manage to stick around for so long? Well, many of the games are simply fun. Have I encountered stinkers? Not gonna deny that one, that's for sure. But in my experience, the stinkers have been outweighed by the fun installments. And indeed, I've had a lot of fun with the games. They might not be perfect, sure, but a good chunk of them have been fun, and I'm not gonna lie, I've gotten some of my fondest memories from the games.

Well, that's all the questions answered from me. What will Sonic bring us for another 25 years? Who knows. But he wouldn't have lasted this long if he wasn't doing something right. But we'll see what happens.

• Thumbs Up 2

Alright, it's time for Part 3! 

Now to make my witty S3&K Jo- OH GODDAMNIT @Forte-Metallix

16. Favourite Image: 

latest?cb=20170128031601

This is how you sell a comic folks. Look at this image. It's Doctor fucking Eggman holding Sonc up in chains. With a legitimately threatening smile. Official artwork where Eggman beat Sonic the Hedgehog. No lackeys. No bounty hunters. Nothing. With his genius, and his wit, Dr. Eggman researched all of Sonic's stats and abilities and crafted a device capable of not only destroying Sonic, but to the point where when Sonic got pissed off and didn't bother holding back, even surpassing Eggman's research...he could only place a dent into his shield. 

Honourable mention goes to this: 

latest?cb=20170128035221

This remains one of my favourite images to date.

Also, I don't care if it's cheating, it's got Sonic in the crossover: 

latest?cb=20130705201948

17. Favourite voice cast:

My favourite voice cast is the current one, honestly. I enjoy a lot of their line delivers and while a lot of them started off really rocky (Amy, and Tails in particular), I like them. Roger is pretty much my favourite Sonic voice now, and Mike is just perfection as Eggman. Only voice I really out and out despise from the current voice cast is Shadow, because it's just a bad attempt to make a sterotypical edgelord voice, and combined with the fact Shadow doesn't even have proper motivations in something like Boom, it doesn't help matters.

18. Favourite Headcanon:

bb6.gif

Personal headcanon, and I've mentioned it a few times on SSMB, but in Episode 2 of Sonic Boom (Can an Evil Genius Crash on your Couch), Sonic is sleeping in Tails' house and obviously sleeping on his couch, This led many to believe that Sonic didn't actually have a home and lived with Tails. But it was revealed just a few short episodes later that Sonic did actually have a home. But then at the beginning of the episode, Eggman mentions that a storm destroyed his lair and Sonic buys the story. Obviously, it turns out his lair isn't actually destroyed, but there must have been a legitimately big enough storm to cause Sonic to buy the story, and on top of that, we've seen later in the series that Tails retains his fear of lighting from the OVA.

So my personal headcanon is that Tails ended up getting frightened by the thunderstorm that was upcoming, and Sonic being the big brother to Tails decided to stay with him for the night to help him ease his fears. Not only does this also work nicely with the previous episode which was all about establishing Sonic and Tails' brotherly friendship, but it also explains why Sonic remained by Tails' side after the night passed, likely because he didn't want to leave Tails in the same place as Eggman. 

19. Favourite Level Theme: 

City levels. Don't know why, but then they appear, they usually tend to be some of my favourites of the entire game. City Escape, Speed Highway, Grand Metropolis. When they usually appear, I just have a ton of fun with them. I think it's because one of the most memorable Sonic levels for me when I was younger was Grand Metropolis and that only increased further when I got my hands on Adventure 2 and City Escape became my most replayed level in the series. 

20. Favourite Level

Ah crap baskets, I just said it didn't I?

350?cb=20170402062846

To this day, this level remains my absolute favourite in the entire series. Not only is it the first time I really loved a Sonic level to replay it a lot, but on top of that, it's just a fantastic introduction level. The very idea of Sonic going through a city level, snowboarding using a plane scrap, and being chased a goddamn heavily armed truck at the very end was just a damn good impression to begin the game with. It showed a lot of SEGA's creativity back then. Taking a city level, and this time a more realistic city at that, and then adding a ton of elements and adding in a ton of cool features and concepts that could be done with the environment to make a hell of an opening level, and it remains one of my favourites to date. It's one of the few Sonic levels that I properly remember the level front to end. 

21. Most Memorable Year

Now then. I'm tempted to say 2006. I really am, because of 06. But this was my most memorable year, and considering I didn't get a next-gen console until 2010, and didn't even know about 06 til 2007, I can't really claim it as memorable for me. No, I think my most memorable year was actually 2011. 

I was on Facebook one night. I had been following the SEGA/Sonic Facebook, and I happened to be online at the time they uploaded a video so it appeared in my news feed. I watch it, and what do I see?

This looked so cool to me. A time travel adventure bringing back old game levels and remaking them? Context was back then, I was young, and more gullible. I read Wikipedia articles about this anniversary game for PSP, Xbox 360, and Wii that would be remaking various Sonic levels including stuff like Final Chase and Final Rush (which I despised at the time). So to see this trailer seemingly prove an idea like that was actually happening? That was pretty awesome, and then the hype for Generations began. This was the year where Sonic properly won back the crowd, with even critics and known haters of the game having to admit it was actually pretty fun. It showed SEGA had what it took to make a good game again that even the haters liked. 

22. Favourite Thing in the Series 

23. Favourite Tr-

09a-Annoyed-Sonic.png

Alright, alright fine. Serious answer. I guess my favourite thing was (Ian Flynn) Archie Sonic. I know, big shock "Ryan's a fan of Archie Sonic!". But yeah. Archie Sonic introduced me to some of my favourite stories that have come out of this cast. It introduced me to characters, villains and arcs that I loved following and I'm genuinely sad some of them were never even concluded like Nicole's arc, or Mina's arc, or the motherload of arcs, Mecha Sally. But the comic has given me a constant source of entertainment when the games faltered and made me dislike a lot of my favourite characters. When Knuckles was turned into a total idiot because of Potac and Graff, I had Archie Knuckles. When Tails was flanderized beyond recognition in Lost World, I had Archie Tails. 

Archie Sonic provided this massive world filled with characters improved from their game counterparts. It had original characters I really cared about, like Nicole, Mina, Scourge, and Shard. It had a world I was genuinely interested in, and expanded on a lot of characters and relationships we wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Archie Sonic is genuinely one of my favourite things to come out of this series in my honest opinion.

Well, that and evil ham. 

23. Favourite Trailer 

Ahhh the benefits of being late to the party. Didn't think they could top the announce trailer, but they did. I love this trailer. It practically sold me on Mania when I was a tiny bit iffy on it. The animation in it is spectacular. The music is catchy, and has a fun rhythm. The small touches like how Sonic, Tails and Knuckles interact off of each other. The art style of Sonic Mega-Drive (WHICH IS AN AMAZING COMIC AND YOU SHOULD ALL READ). The colours, the shading, the art. All of it is just so great. One of the major Sonic highlights of this year and the marketing push I was looking for SEGA to give to Mania. Now if only Forces could get the same. 

24. Favourite Sonic

can you guys guess what im gonna pick

latest?cb=20130528153418

Now, keep in mind I do like other versions of Sonic. I like the Boom version that's more of a straightman snarker. I like the OVA's version, I like the Modern version etc. But I like Archie's version the most, and that's because I liked the development he goes through. He isn't the same character from Point A to Point B. At the start of the comic, Sonic is a snarky prankster running with the freedom fighters, kicking Robuttnik's butt. But throughout the series, we've seen Sonic grow as a character. Still keeping that core attitude of being a chill, snarky dude but expanding, changing through the hardships he faces. Having to go through betrayal, having to deal with losing friends. Having to deal with failure. This Sonic has the upper hand on Sega!Sonic because of the fact for a period of time, SEGA allowed this Sonic to evolve, and show emotions. 

And I know that's the common bullshit argument. "Sonic does show emotions in the games!". Yes, he does. I won't deny that, but I'd argue it's handled better in the comics, especially compared to modern!era. There's one perfect moment that shows Sonic's developement as a character. In Issue 235, Sonic is at his lowest point. The Freedom Fighters are destroyed. Eggman broke Sonic. Sally is a brainwashed killer robot, Antoine is in a coma,Nicole is banished, Bunnie leaves due to feeling useless, and Amy and Tails are forced to repress their emotions to try keep things together. All Sonic can do is sit in his room playing a guitar and thinking back to Scourge telling him that "one bad day is all you need to turn as bad as me". 

But that's when Sonic finally decides to pick up the pieces and fix this mess. He admits the Freedom Fighters are dead, that no one can fix the group. So he rallies the remaining allies he has left, and decides to create two teams, Team Freedom and Team Fighters. The reason I like this is because to this point, Eggman had gotten a series of victories on Sonic. He destroyed his friends and his entire group he had been with for years. Sonic is at his lowest point. His "bad day". But when the time comes, he proves that he can move forward to try save everyone despite his anger and sadness. 

25. What keeps you around after all this time? 

Because I genuinely like the series.

Alright yeah, simple answer I know, but yes. It's true. I still genuinely like the series. 

Does it have it's issues? Yes, oh most certainly, yes. You won't see me holding back a rant on something I hate with this series let it be the godawful story telling, the shit jokes from the writer's of this series, and the terrible games. But I still like these characters. I'm still invested to them, it's a big reason why I like Archie Sonic after all this time. I grew up with Sonic and his friends, and I'm still invested with them as characters, especially when Archie writes a really good story with the group, or when SEGA manage to portray them excellently and create a geniunely good narrative with them. I like the gameplay style of the series. I want to see this series succeed, let it be modern or classic. I'm optimistic that SEGA can still make good titles, and even with my issues with Forces, I still see them taking ideas that worked in the past and changing them up so they aren't stale. Even Mania shows that SEGA are making genuine efforts to try give this fanbase what it wants and to satisfy both kinds of fans. Personally, I'm still a fan of the series and the Blue Blur, and genuinely hope the series pulls off good things in the future. 

Aaaaaand that's a wrap! 

Huge thanks to @Kiah for holding this event! It twas a fun one! 

Now it's time for a victory dance! 

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 6

ALHG4k1.jpg?2

And our countdown continues with Amy Rose indicating that we have FOUR days left! Along with this reminder is the next set of replies from me.

KmnwQCr.png?1 

That would be Sonic the Hedgehog himself. To the surprise of no one :P

Yes, Sonic: that blue anthropomorphic hedgehog with green eyes and red shoes full of personality that runs really fast! Not only is he my favorite Sonic character, Sonic is my favorite character of anything PERIOD. No other character in any other series comes close in regards to the admiration that I have for Sonic. 

As for the "why": Despite his cool and calm attitude, no matter what the issue is, Sonic has always shown himself to be a hero with a big heart willing to help out anyone in need and having no tolerance for evil. This is shown time and time again as Sonic aims to stop Dr. Eggman or whomever the villain may be in the games. So it truly delights me to see this awesome character doing his thing and be able to play as him in video games.

The games over the years have displayed a multitude of Sonic's excellent qualities in fine characterization, such as: being unselfish in thinking about others ahead of himself, even at his own risk and even doing so when he is suffering, his protective nature, always seeking to turn a negative into a positive, always seeking to cheer others up and even comfort someone when they are sad or distressed, is brave, daring, talkative, playful, energetic, animated and humorous, being loyal to his best friend Tails...and these are just some of the fine qualities that Sonic has. If anything has caused me to adore Sonic as much as I do, it's his awesome character.

That doesn't mean that Sonic isn't without flaws. He's overconfident, stubborn, impatient and obnoxious among others, and more times than none these qualities tend to get him in trouble as well as cause problems for others. Sonic being flawed has caused some interesting consequences to come about, and overall the flaws help give Sonic a balanced personality. Makes him more realistic as well, I think.

Overall, Sonic is awesome and full of character-strengths and flaws, and I have admired him for over a quarter of a century and will continue to do so.

q5x9Ey6.jpg?1

Archie simply due to the fact that so many characters in the franchise co-exist in this continuity. Before my 15 year hiatus from Sonic all I knew character-wise were the SatAM cast and Knuckles outside of them. I had no idea Amy Rose and everyone else outside of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Dr. Robotnik Eggman even existed upon my return and I can not even begin to tell you how disappointed to learn that there were various continuities in the Sonic franchise and the only relevance the majority of the characters that I knew were exclusive to comic books. In the end it's better than nothing and it was better that the SEGA cast was there with them so Archie in that sense gives me the best of both worlds seeing everyone together and seeing character interactions such as Sally and Knuckles for example.

4dVvpzO.png?1
"Do I need a reason to want to help out a friend?" -Sonic, Sonic Unleashed

This question is my favorite quote because it resonates with me so much. Like Sonic, I am fully committed to helping out those in any kinds of trouble or distress all within my means, even if doing so would have consequences and inconvenience me in the process. Sonic and I both are very loyal towards our friends. I enjoy helping people especially my friends. No reasons for doing so are necessary ;)

Sonic Unleashed

With the beginning of the plot, Unleashed's does a better job pulling you into the plot with its action-packed opening, I thought. Just so much goes on within the first 5 minutes of the game: including Dr. Eggman capturing Sonic not once, but twice! By the time the introduction was complete, Sonic had become the Werehog and the Chaos Emeralds were gray and useless. Also Dr. Eggman revealed his intentions with creating Eggmanland right after he fired the laser that woke up Dark Gaia and split the planet up and then sent Sonic down to Earth. That's a lot to happen in only in the introduction of the game with a lot more to come!

While they didn't contribute much, I liked how Unleashed had more characters involved to various degrees including Tails, Amy Rose, Professor Pickle, his assistant, and other NPCs, all having charm to them and not taking away from the plot. Chip on the other hand, has a story behind him that we know about, has a purpose, has a personality and had even allowed some of Sonic's characterization to shine through among their interactions among the story. 

Sure the middle of Sonic Unleashed's plot with the chaos emeralds being restored and whatnot was rather repetitive and really wasn't much in regards to being developed, but there were little things going on, including humorous, that kept your attention during these parts.

Granted, Sonic Unleashed's story wasn't perfect by any means, and was guilty of missed potential especially in the middle of the story, but it just didn't leave me dissatisfied wanting more after all was said and done. The ending was good and very heart-warming. Sonic Unleashed's story was actually a story, with its plot feeling more complete compared to the stories in other Sonic games and having that balance between humor and seriousness. Issues aside, Unleashed's story left me delighted and content with it's plot from beginning to end due to it being both entertaining and enjoyable.

Overall, Sonic Unleashed's story is really good and is one of my favorites in the series. That said though, while the story of Sonic Unleashed is my favorite, it isn't necessarily the best story IMO. That honor would go to Sonic and the Secret Rings for me for keeping me so emotionally invested.

SatAM is my favorite Sonic cartoon without a doubt. Despite its issues and flaws I absolutely love it. The cartoon really got me into Sonic more than AoStH and the games did and really defined his character in my opinion. Sure Sonic was obnoxious and corny at times, but he displayed many other fine qualities as well, putting his ego to the side on more than one occasion for the sake of his friends, for example. I appreciated SatAM's darker, serious tone because I already had a healthy dose of "laughs and giggles" already from AoStH, Animaniacs, and other cartoons. So SatAM going in a different direction from comedy was a nice change of pace I thought.

Overall I really liked the characters and thought that the majority of them had good characterization. Sonic, Tails, Sally, Bunnie, Rotor, Snively, Dr. Robotnik and Uncle Chuck, I thought they were all portrayed very well. The voice acting cast of Sonic SatAM was superb; one of the most talented and best collaborations of VA's I've ever heard honestly.

One thing I really appreciated about SatAM is that it gave Sonic an emotional side, including sadness. The episode that stuck out to me was "Ultra Sonic", where at the end of the episode Sonic was crying because the Freedom Fighters' efforts to save Uncle Chuck failed (Sonic cried tears of joy earlier in the episode when Uncle Chuck was able to temporarily get his mind back so Sonic actually cried twice in this episode!). I heard that Sega wasn't too happy about Sonic crying but that scene had a profound effect on me. It just made Sonic more real of a character to me and caused me to appreciate and adore him that much more. It was that moment in that episode that got me "hooked" on Sonic.

I can go on and on about why I love this show, but I'm going to stop here for now. It was very disappointing that Sonic SatAM was cancelled, but I'm thankful that the 2 seasons were put on DVD so I can always enjoy the episodes now and for many years to come as Sonic SatAM was an awesome part of my childhood.

And that's all for now. I will be doing a complete review of this topic at some point today so stay tuned for my next post/next point in the countdown in case there is anything I need to inform you all of then :).

• Thumbs Up 5

Alright: Let's dust this thing off with Round 5: Forte Mania!

As exciting as last year was, 2011 will always hold a special place in my heart. Between the hype for Generations, Archie's Genesis arc (I ended up getting Part 1 in the mail on Sonic's birthday!), and loads of Classic Sonic merch, I can't remember another year that had me constantly excited for the Blue Blur!

The unique sense of speed is the first thing I think of when I think Sonic the Hedgehog. Rushing through levels to beat your best time is always fun, but Sonic takes this to another level by letting you dash, boost, and parkour your way across Zones as you find new ways to shave precious milliseconds off your record time!

Both of Mania's trailers have been posted to death here, so I'm gonna go with something else:

This trailer definitely plays up the "Less is More" mentality by giving you a huge indication of what Unleashed is about whilst showing you so little. It starts out all hunky-dory, with Sonic tossing a Ring around....then the scene goes dark, you hear something horrifying happening to Sonic off-screen, and then WHAM! A massive, hairy, clawed arm comes out of nowhere and smashes the Ring into the wall! When I first saw this trailer, I actually jumped out pure shock! I couldn't wait to see this new monster in action!

Again, gotta give props to post-SGW Archie:

350?cb=20160921224604

He's funny, he's compassionate, he's incredibly skilled, and he actually learns from past mistakes. My favorite moments include when he was willing to throw his championship fight against Knuckles in order to let him get back to fixing the Master Emerald, nonchalantly calling his victory over Dark Gaia "Another God-like entity going down", and learning that's it's okay to rely on his friends in Mega Drive: The Next Level. (Still want Overdrive, btw)

Aside from the obvious- the games, the merch, the Boom TV show, the comics (;n;), and this wonderful community, I'm always curious to see where Sonic will go next. I mean, we've got a retro revival, a "Make-Your-Fan-Character-Canon" game, an upcoming movie, and who knows what else? After spending so long with this little blue critter, through ups, downs, and all-arounds, I can say that, if nothing else, being a Sonic fan is never boring.

• Thumbs Up 3

Seeing as time is running out, I'd better try to answer some more of these!

Unlike Sonic he don't chuckle...except he actually does, sometimes. Yup, it's Knuckles the Echidna.

Sonic%20R%20-%20Knuckles.png

Embarassingly, the original reasons I was attracted to him was because he's red (my favorite color) and because he's an echidna, an animal which I had heard of but which I knew was obscure. But uh...don't worry, I've come up with better reasons since then! Really.

I guess the more important thing I like about Knuckles is that he encompasses so many different things. In some ways, he comes across as a really cool dude - he's powerful, with great strength, martial arts skills, advanced abilities for navigation and searching (gliding, climbing, digging), and even a connection to chaos energy; he's the guardian of an ancient object that's one of the most powerful in the world and has an ancient heritage; and he can be very skilled and perhaps even clever when it comes to certain domains such as treasure hunting. On the other hand, his stubbornness, hot temper, and incredible gullibility often lead him to be played for the fool or even come across as incompetent sometimes, and in reasonable quantities, that's not only perfectly okay, it's an important contributor to why I like him. He can be cool and competent, but that's not all there is to him. He can come across as a buffoon, but that's not all there is to him. Y'know what I'm sayin'?

Knuckles is also perhaps the most fun to come up with headcanons about due to his mysterious and important backstory, occupation, and homeland. Knuckles doesn't just exist by himself, he's connected to the Emeralds, some of the most important objects in the Sonic series, and he has potential for a world's worth of lore with his unique heritage and position. And yet none of this changes him from being the loyal, naive, aggressive yet peace-valuing hero he is.

Even though Knuckles is ultimately "my favorite", there are some other Sonic characters I absolutely love, especially the following:

Sonic the Hedgehog: His character design, attitude and style make him an incredibly great concept for a character that deserves to be the main character and focal point of the series and the pop culture icon he is. To me, even before I was really a Sonic fan, his personality has always been so obvious to me even just from a glance at artwork of him. He's no generic hero because of his "attitude" - he does what he wants and he does it his way, as a certain song has put it. That's the kind of trait that has the potential to be obnoxious, but even when it is, it makes Sonic an amusing and fun character - and it's actually strangely admirable sometimes. Sonic is so pig-headed and self-confident that he will NEVER give up when he's set his mind to doing something, no matter how insane or impossible the odds may be. And that's what makes him such a hero - the same traits that can sometimes make him a jerk! And Sonic is still lovable despite this potential to be annoying due to him still being someone who cares immensely about his friends and about freedom, and someone whose disposition ultimately draws you in. That's what makes Sonic come across as an interesting, balanced and rounded character to me while simultaneously being delightfully straightforward.

Miles "Tails" Prower: I love sidekick characters in general and Tails is one of the best. He has unique abilities that are a huge help to Sonic, he's extremely cute, and I like his personality and dynamic with Sonic. He has the humble hero worshiper factor mixed in there, but he's balanced it out more and more over the years with the ability to hold his own and push back against Sonic, just like any real friendship, making them feel more like equals even though the admiration and sidekick status isn't eliminated. He really is Sonic's best friend and probably the only person the incredibly independent hedgehog can trust and depend on completely.

The Chaotix: They're a fun bunch with really creative character designs and personalities and they used to be affiliated with Knuckles is the past. What's not to love?

Despite the fact that there's a ridiculously large amount of awesome choices, there's no question about this one as far as the non-vocal track is concerned:

Even in a series full of awesome BGM, this one stands out to me for its incredibly catchy and engaging tune, rendered so powerfully even on hardware that may be limited by today's standards and not even using complex instrumentation, that makes it easily one of the most iconic songs in the series. Yup, this is the one for me - a true classic that's still as fun to listen to as ever.

As for the vocal track, it would probably be Open Your Heart from Sonic Adventure, especially due to some of the lyrics (particularly "can't hold on much longer / but I will never let go", which captures Sonic's never-give-up attitude).

I'm going to say rolling. Using it along with the level design to gain a huge amount of momentum and move at incredible speeds is endlessly enjoyable.

The runners-up is the spindash in the Adventure games. Not that I don't like it in the classic games as well, but I don't use it as often because rolling is more prevalent, and it's even more fun in the Adventures. The very fact that the Adventures don't seem to be designed for it as much as the classics were is what makes it so much fun. I notice in the SA2 manual they even tell you to use it sparingly! I especially like to abuse it in the SA2 multiplayer to get ahead of the competition, haha.

I'm glad I waited to answer this one. Wait...does the question imply that it has to be the initial reveal trailer? Ah, well. I'm doing this anyway!

I'm not even going to explain "why" for once...I think it speaks for itself.

~

My Tuesday is jam-packed so I guess I have to finish the rest on Wednesday!

• Thumbs Up 5

kAoLoJR.jpg?1

This is the first and ONLY time I'm glad to see Knuckles having fingers as we move right along in our countdown as we have THREE days remaining in this event. That said, it's time for the next round of my answers for this questionnaire:

Sonic and the Secret Rings-White Ring

This cutscene here, these 49 seconds in short, left quite an impact on me! It is clearly obvious that Sonic is in a lot of pain and collapses, yet he refuses to let his guard down nor allow Shahra to worry about him or place the blame on herself for Sonic being struck with that flame along with the assurance that everything would be okay. Sonic didn't want to show that he was in pain; therefore the half-hearted chuckle trying to cover it up (which I thought was some fine voice acting by Jason Griffith), which he was trying to do so Shahra wouldn't worry about him. This selfless attitude of Sonic deeply impressed me, as the last person he was thinking about was himself, even though Sonic was clearly suffering.

Also notable is how Sonic changed the situation quickly from negative to a positive to cheer Shahra up, even apologizing after he collapsed and at the same time worrying Shahra. This is all something a good friend would do and Sonic demonstrated that here and throughout the game as he always does.

I thought Sonic saying "It's gonna take more than some tiny flame to bring judgment down on me!" was a pretty convincing line that he was okay and still the same ol' Sonic amid all the pain he was in. Despite the fact that he was suffering, Sonic was optimistic. He usually is no matter what! He never gives up nor allows anything to get him down. This cutscene really showed me among many other times that Sonic has a lot of heart and is truly a hero as he was willing to continue on the journey to help Shahra despite the fact that he was suffering and in pain as well as really helping me to admire Sonic as a character even more than I previously did and is my favorite cutscene overall :)

Lltzcn8.png?1

Sonic Unleashed-I love this game! It's full of love, dedication and hard work from Sega and Sonic Team among other great things. I can go on and on praising this game but I'll try to sum it up the best I can...

Day levels are straight up fun, I really enjoy them. As for the night stages with the Werehog, not so much, but it's okay. Can't say that I hate them and I do appreciate them being around to slow things down and to lengthen the game. Say what you want about the Werehog, but he helps slow things down a bit and keep you busy. This is one thing I definitely love about Sonic Unleashed is the fact that this game keeps you busy-and for a while too with so much to do and discover. The whole thing with the medals didn't bother me too much. Pretty much nothing in this game bothered me actually, except for Eggmanland, which I found to be a real pain. 

The cutscenes! Sonic Unleashed provides almost an hour's worth of them in gorgeous CGI. I enjoyed every single second of them as they were beautiful and very entertaining. Putting them all together could make a nice movie. The hidden/bonus cutscenes I found hilarious as well. I enjoyed Sonic Unleashed's story as well. 

I thought Sonic Unleashed gave Sonic some good characterization, which is something that I am very big on. Even though his cockiness got him in trouble in the first place, Sonic didn't allow his transformation to dampen his spirit nor allow him not to help others in need. He actually made it a point to find a positive with the Werehog form when he learned he could stretch out his arms. Sonic showed his kindness and concern for people as various times throughout the game he asked if everyone was alright. Sonic was very protective of Chip and helpful to him. 

And there's much more where that came from but I'll stop here. From that amazing introduction to the engaging credits and everything in between, even among its flaws and issues Sonic Unleashed is a game that I deeply enjoy and still stands as not only my favorite Sonic game, but my favorite video game of all time :)

Favorite Vocal Track:

Dear My Friend-Sonic Unleashed: This song just happens to be my favorite vocal song because of the meaning behind the song. I find it very soothing and sad, yet beautiful, moving, and touching that definitely has you feeling very emotional at the song's end. I thought the song was rich in meaning in regards to friendship, which was a theme present throughout the game with Sonic and Chip as well as friendship being something that I personally highly esteem. 

Favorite Non-Vocal Track:

Sonic 3D (Saturn) Music-Rusty Ruin Zone Act 1: Upon hearing this for the first time I was immediately hooked. Despite the calm tune it has an adventurer vibe to it. This track is absolutely beautiful and I can listen to repeatedly for hours no problem. A few years ago I had said that Rusty Ruins Act 1 Saturn was going to overtake my previous favorite Sonic song of Planet Wisp Act 1 and sure enough that happened. It's actually the most played song out of all the songs that I have in my entire library OVERALL as I love this track that much.

UYvDyXw.gif?1

Tails' flight ability. I find it fascinating as well as adorable to see the kid having the means to fly himself courtesy of his twin Tails. Even more impressive is that he can do that while carrying his best friend around :).

Sonic's SpinDash would be a close second. This iconic move of Sonic is still fun to see and do revving Sonic up and letting him loose.

This is a tough one, as the excellency of Sonic music knows no bounds. If I had to go with what I feel is the Sonic game with the best soundtrack, I am going to have to go with Sonic Colors:

l5YGyI5.jpg?1 

The main reason why Sonic Colors' soundtrack is my favorite is because of this piece right here:

Planet Wisp Act 1. This has to be one of the most beautiful tracks that I have ever heard in my entire life. I remember the first time I heard it I felt like crying because it was so beautiful. I was totally mesmerized by it, totally amazed with the piano and bass together. I had listened to it over and over again for hours that night as I couldn't stop listening to it. I also enjoyed the Act 2 and Act 3 remixes of Planet Wisp as well as it is definitely the level in Sonic Colors that has my favorite music.

I liked how Sonic Colors provided 3 different versions of each track during gameplay, along with a introductory track for each level's menu/Act Select map, giving you more variations of each original track to enjoy. Even the Game Land music sounds good in its 8-bit glory, mimicking the sounds of each of the game's main levels. So in the end there is 4 different versions of each track, 5 if you include the Act Select music. Cutscene music is great too.

Tropical Resort and Sweet Mountain I find to be very catchy tracks, while Aquarium Park and Planet Wisp I find to be very peaceful and soothing pieces, Starlight Carnival sounds very festive like a party is going on, and Asteroid Coaster and Terminal Velocity never fail to get my adrenaline going. 

There isn't a single track in Sonic Colors that I dislike. I can sit down and listen to this whole soundtrack with no problem or the need to skip a track-all 82 of them. From Reach For the Stars to Speak With Your Heart, with everything in between, Sonic Colors' Vivid Sound x Hybrid Colors soundtrack is one I find to be enjoyable from beginning to end.

And that's all for now with my replies. As I mentioned previously, I was going to catch up with the tallying and do a complete examination of this topic. I did that and in the process I used all of my likes for the day as there were a lot of good and even beyond good posts here ;). Observations along the lines of concern were very few, but it was enough that some would be disqualified from getting a badge due to incorrectly answering a question or answering it in an unsatisfactory manner. My rule of no snark or negativity aside, I think it would be fair as well as a nice thing to do is to give a warning and a chance to make corrections. That said, for the few of you that this applies to, I will send you all a PM as soon as I can. I would of done it tonight but my computer crashed and I literally had to type this post all over again after trying to get it back up and recover everything for over 4 hours. If you are concerned or even curious about your completion status, please don't hesitate to contact me either via PM, Direct Feed in the statuses or Discord if you have mine.

The final stretch of this event is on! Let's wrap things up if you haven't already and be sure to have fun as well! :)

• Thumbs Up 4

It's  been a little while since I've posted here, I've been checking in once in a awhile to see what's been going on with Archie, but I've not posted. I've always loved these events, so I have to partake. Seeing as it's almost over, I'm glad I caught it now.

I'm not one hundred percent sure, but I believe 1995. It could have been 96 though, I was a little tot.

I couldn't tell you exactly, but it would have to be either, Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, or Sonic & Knuckles. My brother had 1 and Sonic & Knuckles, and my Cousin had 2 and 3, and we'd play them all at our grandparents' house, with some of our other cousins, if they visiting. 

I think it was a combination of the gameplay, visuals, characters, and music. So the whole package I guess.

This answers gonna take a bit, let's see...

(Spoilered, as it's a fairly long list)

Spoiler

Main Titles:

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (gen) - Sega Six Pack for Genesis/iOS

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 2 (gen) - Genesis (two copies)/iOS

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3  -  Genesis (two copies)

SONIC & KNUCKLES - Genesis

SONIC CD - iOS/XBOX 360

SONIC ADVENTURE DX - GAMECUBE/XBOX 360

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 BATTLE - GAMECUBE/XBOX 360

SONIC HEROES - PS2

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006) - XBOX 360

SONIC UNLEASHED - XBOX 360

SONIC GENERATIONS - XBOX 360

Spinoff Titles

SONIC 3D BLAST (gen) - Genesis

SONIC THE FIGHTERS - XBOX 360

SONIC ADVANCE - GBA

SONIC ADVANCE 2 - GBA

SONIC ADVANCE 3 - GBA

SONIC BATTLE - GBA

SONIC RUSH - DS

SONIC RIDERS - PS2

SONIC RIDERS ZERO GRAVITY - PS2

SONIC FREE RIDERS - XBOX 360

SEGA SUPER STARS TENNIS - PS2

SONIC & SEGA ALL STARS RACING -XBOX 360

SONIC & ALL STARS RACING TRANSFORMED -XBOX 360

Collections:

SONIC MEGA COLLECTION - GAMECUBE

SONIC MEGA COLLECTION + - PS2 (two copies)

SONIC GEMS COLLECTION - GAMECUBE (two copies)

And just for fun, Previously Owned (aka lost and/or damaged):

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (gen) - Genesis

SONIC & KNUCKLES -Genesis

SONIC ADVENTURE - Dreamcast

KNUCKLES CHAOTIX - 32X

So all together that's 36 games (not counting the previously owned ones of course). 

I like both, but if I had to choose between the two, I would go for Classic.

Miles "Tails" Prower

He's been my favorite since I started playing. I couldn't tell you why toddler me loved him, but I can tell you why adult me does. 

First off, he's got a cute and unconventional design. I'm not sure a lot of people would've come up with a fox with two tails, that flies, I don't think I would have, but I'm very glad Yasushi Yamaguchi did. Also, orange and yellow are two of my favorite colors.

I like his character too, especially in the adventure series. Even though I may not have realized it at the time, I can relate to his not wanting to rely on others, and trying to do things for himself.

Special mentions go out to Amy, Cream, Bunnie, and Rotor.

I'd have to go with pre boot Archie, especially during Flynn's tenure.

I loved a lot of the characters, and the world itself. And the fact that there was so much history behind it, seeing as how it was over 15 years worth of stories, even with a good number not being very good.

I thought Ian did a great job at tying up all the loose threads, while at the same time bringing in new ideas too. And he also brought it a little closer the games which was nice. And I thought Ian brought a good combination of action, drama, comedy, and a bit of politics too.

"You've turned into a big-time villain, Doctor!" - Sonic from SONIC ADVENTURE 2

I feel like this is the perfect Sonic line. Sarcastic during a very tense time, I can only assume it's something of a defense mechanism or him. And I love Ryan Drummond's delivery.

And now I'm going to name a few funny ones from the OVA here.

"SHUP UP TAILS!" - Sonic

"YOU'RE NO HELP!" - Tails

"I was pretty popular with the ladies." - Old Man Owl

"I'll stop being your hostage." - Sara

"STOP TALKING AND DRIVE ROBOTNIK!" - Sara

Oh, and one more from SA2

"Sheeeesh! There always seems to be a lot of police around when you don't need them" - Sonic Truer words were never spoken.

This is an incredibly tough question, hmm... I think I'd have to go with the Archie arc, Enerjak: Reborn by Ian Flynn. Its got every thing I mentioned from my favorite continuity answer, and I'd say it's some of Flynn's best work. And it has some fantastic art from Tracy Yardley, Jim Amash, and Jason Jensen.

The OVA: Similar to my love of the pre boot archie, the OVA has great action, hilarious comedy, and a little bit of drama too. And it's got gorgeous animation, and a fantastic soundtrack. Not to mention some fun characters, that have unfortunately have never been seen outside of this, (expect for that one little Archie story with Sara.) Oh and I can't not mention Knuckles' hat.

So I'm going to cheat and name a few for this.

English 

Japanese (with English subs)

The first one, is Amy's opening from Sonic Adventure cutscene from 0:00 to 3:00 minutes in both videos. 

I like that we get to see a glimpse of a character (in this case Amy) going through their everyday life. And I just like the cutscene overall. And Birdie is cute.

The second, also from Sonic Adventure, is the cutscene where Gamma lets Amy out of her cell, from 5:53 to 857 in the English video, and 9:46 to 12:49 in the Japanese video. 

I feel like this is a pivotal moment for both characters, and a great look into their personalities. And the dialogue is a little different in each version, but I like them both.

And my third and fourth are from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The cutscene from Hidden Palace to Sky Sanctuary, and the cutscene from Sky Sanctuary to Death Egg. 

I don't have much to say about them, other than I love them. I will say, the Hidden Palace cutscene is a pivotal moment in the story, Knuckles finally figures out who the real good guys are, and I've always thought the Sky Sanctuary to Death Egg cutscene was really cool.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG 3 & KNUCKLES

Truly the greatest Sonic experience, I think. It's got every thing great about Sonic, good gameplay, nice graphics and aesthetic, wonderful music, and a nice story. What more could you ask for?

I've done about half now, and I'll hopefully get the other half done before it's over. 

Thank you @Kiah for putting this together.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm all for these kinds of events, they're fun! And I seem to be doing this at the last few days because life has kept me occupied so that's nice.

1. 2017 marks I think 10 years I've been a fan of this blue pincushion, I've been in love with this series for almost half of my life. That's pretty crazy to think actually.

2. I still have yet to see someone who can say this but Rivals 2 was my first Sonic game. It was definitely interesting to see all these characters introduced to me for the first time but I enjoyed their personalities and yep, still do.

3. That opening from Unleashed was definitely the kicker to really look forward to future games, it still is the most amazing opening of a Sonic game I have ever seen.

4. Too many to count, from the 23 physical copies I can count on my room (24 if you count Sm4sh) and probably an extra 10-20 of the various digital copies I have on my phone, PSN and Steam. So yeah a lot of Sonic, pity me.

5. I like both equally, I don't have a strong preference. I like Classic for its solid mix of speed and platforming with plenty of personality and life and Modern is great because of its Modern presentation and overall just being a more cinematic and more engaging take on the series.

6. Sonic duh because he's an easy to understand character but has plenty of personality, it's definitely interesting to see how various media interprets him from the spunky teenager of the Adventure era to the more casual and laidback Boom Sonic to the chill and dorky but always adventurous Modern interpretation. It's just fun to see Sonic being Sonic.

7. Postreboot Archie is personal favorite, it makes the games canon more concise while still having some room to do its own thing. Bless Flynn and the Archie Sonic team for pulling it off and it's disheartening to hear that it might be over.

8. When Sonic was talking to Merlina about living life to the fullest, Black Knight isn't a strong favorite of mine from a gameplay perspective but that message really defined a lot of things I do actually. I try my best to make every day count and that kind of thing, so yeah I can thank Black Knight for that atleast.

9. Favorite story? Hmmm, if we're talking about Archie? Champions easily, that was just a very fun adaptation of Sonic the Fighters with amazing art by Diana Skelly. That's my favorite arc in Archie. In the games? Uhh, that's a bit hard; I can't say with full confidence any story in Sonic was truly great, they all have some flaws. But if I had to choose, it would be Adventure 2 because it's engaging to see how intense the story keeps going, a lot of stuff goes on; it really feels like an epic B movie so yeah, Adventure 2 had a fun story.

10. BOOM BAYBEE! It's funny, witty and entertaining. It really sucks that it's only on Boomerang but it's nice to see fans of the show do their best to keep the show running strong and the crew behind the show are really funny guys. I have nothing but good things to say about Boom! Really hoping for a Season 3!

11. I'm going to go for a unlikely favorite but that one short cutscene in Lost World where Sonic realizes he really screwed things up, it was short, quiet and very somber. A pretty powerful scene and one of the reasons why I really like Lost World's story.

12. 3&K for 2D because it's just the best, a solid mix of platforming and speed, huge levels and a interesting presentation for a simple story. 3D is Unleashed BAYBEE, definitely the biggest Sonic game I've played, so much content and charm has been put into that game and I just love it to pieces!

13. Favorite vocal track? Endless Possibility because yes, Unleashed but it's just a very uplifting song to listen to. I can always listen to it to get my positive vibes going. Non vocal? Uhhh, damn that's hard. But if I have to choose a track right now, it would be Strange Parade from Runners. Just such a good track from that game, also puts me in a good mood as well. Sonic just has good music ok.

14 .Favorite move? Hardcore Parkour with my boi Sonic in Lost World, just doing being able to run any surface is such a really fun idea and if done really well, could really help give Sonic that unique gameplay edge that he needs to stand out!

15. Favorite soundtrack? Lost World because I don't think it gets enough appreciation, Ohtani nearly composed every level and boss track himself except Sugar Lane and it's impressive how he managed to make every track sound unique. It really is the most diverse soundtrack in Sonic if you ask me.

Spoiler

Image result for sega sonic boom

That image of Boom is just filled with a lot of personality. You can really tell what their personalities are like based on that image alone, I just love it! I LOVE BOOM OMG!

17. The current cast is my favorite. Roger brought a performance of Sonic that I can really get into that Ryan and Jason couldn't really do for me, Colleen brought a very fun performance of a more snarky but still nice Tails, Travis is just a more fun Dan Green, Cindy from Boom onwards really did it for me to sell her performance, Mike is always great and Kirk as Shadow, I just love and I can't get enough of!

18. Favorite headcanon?

Eh, I don't really do headcanons all that much. But I always strongly believe that Generations is not canon and that after Colors, Lost World happened. Really holding out for Forces to prove me right.

19. Favorite level theme?

Greenhills Jokes aside, I was more enticed and interested in the more bizarre worlds levels take place in. Levels like Music Plant, Sweet Mountain, DeSsert Ruins are such examples. It really is interesting to see how Sonic Team implements a theme and just go nuts with it.

20. Favorite level?

Yikes, so many levels to choose from. You're just being mean here, wow ok let's see.

A level I can always get into without much complaints is frankly the OG Rooftop Run from Unleashed. It's one of the more lengthy Boost stages but it's no Jungle Joyride. The level itself is just really good, Ohtani's music, the European inspired setting and level design that reminds me of the best parts of the Rush series. Rooftop Run is always a fun stage to go through.

21. Most memorable year?

Well considering I really got into the hype of Sonic when Gens' teaser was first shown on the official Facebook page back at 2011. When I say it, I was like "Cool! The Sonic I know now and the Sonic I played in the older games are going to be in one game, that's cool!", just a casual response. But if I want to know what really stood to me for Sonic, it's a tie between 2014's Boom reveal and the party from last year.

I'm Boom trash, no doubt about it. Love me some Boom so when I first saw the reveal of the new designs while I was in a computer engineering class, I was really excited. I showed the new looks for Sonic and Knuckles to my teacher, who also played some Sonic at her days and I saw the strange look in her face, I think it's because of Knuckles but hey, watcha gonna do I guess. I was all for it. Tis a shame Rise of Lyric really bogged the entire series down.

And the party, oh boy the party. I remember telling my parents I had to see the stream of the party before I went to helped them out on their work. So I had to pull an allnighter for that faithful July 22nd and it was pretty fun. Yes, we can mock the technical issues for days, everyone has, even Mike does it as a running gag. But really, seeing Mania and Forces get revealed for the first time, seeing Crush 40 perform, neat stuff like LEGO Sonic, Classic in Dash or the Sonic/Sanrio merch crossover. Those were all great! And yes, we can not forget the legendary moment of the Totino's Pope, Skyler, meming it up for all of us to enjoy! Bless that guy, really!

22. My top favorite thing about Sonic?

Just how complex and fascinating it is. Sonic is a very messy series, no doubt. So messy that we're up to the point where we probably do need 3 different brands of Sonic to get some actual consistency in this series for once. But that's make so interesting to really dig into and figure out how things work and stuff, Sonic is a series I can really analyze if I want to and I could figure all sorts of neat and not-so-neat stuff about the various games, shows or comics. It's cool to analyze Sonic.

23. Favorite trailer?

Easily, the Pre Order trailer for Mania. No other trailer got me as excited or emotional for a game unlike that one.

Seeing Tyson Hesse's animations in his iconic Mega Drive artstyle is so goddamn beautiful and it really does make me excited to see if SEGA would be down to make atleast a miniseries of Classic Sonic cartoons with Hesse, that would be so cool! It could be our Pokemon Generations! And Hyper Potions' Time Trails playing in the background, pure bliss. Who would've thought something like this would happen when we first saw Fire & Ice's first trailer with their track, Porta Vista, fun times. I also really like how the trailers switches between Sonic, Tails and Knuckles according to the beat, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff! I could go on for ages about that trailer, it just has so much personality and passion put into it! Bless Webber for getting the idea of Hesse animating for Mania, even if it is for promotional purposes.

24. My favorite iteration of Sonic?

Woof, tbh it's actually not that hard.

It's another tie, Boom and PostReboot Archie.

Boom Sonic is a lot more casual and laidback than most iterations, but to my dismay, people interpret that as Sonic being a tired old grandpa (and extra points for using clips of the second episode of the series because of course! :^) ) but as more episodes get aired, more of Sonic's personality starts begin to show to me. While he is normally casual, he's very much in the go when it comes to fighting off Eggman or any other baddies or when he's goofing off with his friends. He's also a dick and can be pretty blunt at times. TBH, I could very much see this iteration of Sonic just saying it how it is, not sugarcoating or anything. It also makes sense to me when he feels down and people try to cheer him up, he's not really in the mood for it. TBH, Boom Sonic reminds a lot like me so yeah I gravitated to Boom Sonic.

Post Reboot Archie Sonic is pretty much Adventure-Black Knight Sonic but I guess with more natural dialogue? But yeah, he's a hog of action, very supportive of his friends and has a fun time kicking robutt as well and cracks some jokes along the way. Not much to say about that, just a more concise interpretation of the various portrayals from the games.

25. Why am I still stuck with the Blue Spikeball?

Because I just do? I mean, Sonic was a major driving force of my childhood, it was my escape from the crap moments of my life and it was my gateway to meeting friends and that kind of shindig. I guess it also helps that I do enjoy a good majority of the games, not all (still looking at you 06) but for the most part, I can pick up a game and have a fun time playing though it. Will I ever grow cynical of the series? Well I have been very critical of Forces ever since the SXSW reveal, I can still see myself have a decent enough time playing through it. I guess it helps that I'm just going with the flow with whatever Sonic product is out. New Boom episode? Sure, I'll give it a watch, it'll be a fun time! Mania? Hell yeah, AUGUST 15 HURRY UP YOH! Forces? Not really my cup to tea but it seems decent enough. Runners Adventure? Just tell me when Gameloft will officially announce it and I'll spend all of my damn money on it! BBFA3? Yes, just yes. Gimme the Big goodness!

Yeah, I like Sonic I guess. Late response is late but as I said, real life over internet life (most of the time).

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/15/2017 at 4:48 AM, Kiah said:

For as long as I can remember actually. I'd wager, since I was 3 or 4 when I played my first ever Sonic game: Sonic CD.

Image result for Sonic CD

"Toot Sonic Warrior!"

The Sonic Boom itself! Sonic CD!

Games like Crash Bandicoot had gotten me into the craze of animal videogame protagonists fighting evil doctor villains! Believe it or not, for a while, I used to actually think that like Neo Cortex, Eggman actually created Sonic or gave him his super speed! XD Anyway, the convergence of interests between the two series, is what brough me to be interested in Sonic the Hedgehog, and the rest is history!

1. Sonic Mega Collection +
  2. Sonic Advance
  3. Sonic Advance 2
  4. Sonic Advance 3
  5. Sonic Advance + Pinball Party Collection
  6. Sonic X (on GBA) if that counts! :P
  7. Sonic Heroes
  8. Sonic Adventure DX
  9. Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
  10. Sonic Adventure Director's Cut on PC
  11. Sonic Adventure 2 for PC
  12. Sonic Rush
  13. Sonic Rush Adventure
  14. Sonic and the Secret Rings
  15. Sonic Riders
  16. Sonic Riders Zero Gravity
  17. Sonic Unleashed for PS2
  18. Sonic 3 & Knuckles on PC
  19. Sonic 1 Remastered
  20. Sonic 2 Remastered
  21. Sonic and the Black Knight
  22. Sonic and the Dark Brotherhood
  23. Sonic CD Remastered
  24. Sonic Gems Collection
  25. Sonic Lost World for the Wii U
  26. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
  27. Sonic Lost World for the 3DS
  28. Sonic Colors for the DS
  29. Sonic Colors for the Wii
  30. Sonic Generations on PC
  31. Shadow the Hedgehog
  32. Sonic Battle
  33. Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
  34. Sonic and SEGA Allstars Tennis
  35. Sonic All Stars Racing

More of the modren type, but only by a hair. They're both awesome!

• Thumbs Up 2

NCs0Gmw.jpg?1

Today Tails tells us that we have TWO days left with this event! Time is definitely running out! That said, here's my latest around of answers to the questionnaire:

sox6pih.jpg?1

It's the infamous "Brofist" with Sonic and Tails from Sonic Colors towards the end of the game. Bright colors and gorgeous CGI aside I think the image speaks for itself with what it represents: Sonic and Tails being best friends and their bromance being awesome! There's a reason why it has been the only image I've had in my signature since I've been here on the SSMB! ;) 

The 4Kids one as I absolutely love Jason Griffith's Sonic and Shadow. The rest of the cast sounded good to me too as I had no complaints about any of them when hearing them the first time. I can't say the same about the current voice acting cast we have in the series although in time some of the voices I was having issues with either grew on me or improved. Overall this is a fine cast and if the 4Kids cast HAD to be replaced this was an excellent crew to replace them with.

I actually had this head-canon since I was about 9 years old and I still hold it but it's that Sonic has a sister. And no, not that obnoxious spoiled brat Sonia. Sonic has always shown some big brother/paternal tendencies in his personality especially towards Tails and I like to think Sonic developed these qualities before meeting Tails due to his baby sister. Now the reason we don't know about her she isn't around has changed over the years ranging from her being adopted to Sonic losing her. Either way she isn't around and Sonic deeply misses her and it's easier for him simply not to talk about her. Fortunately Tails kind of fills the void being a little brother to Sonic as well as being his best friend.

Casino/Carnival

THCZdge.jpg?1 

I like both of these levels for the same reasons: they are levels taking place at night, and both Casino and Carnival levels look amazing, brightly lit amid the dark night sky with bold beautiful, bright colors and fun playful details such as the Ferris wheels and balloons in Tropical Resort, for example. Aside from that barrel in Sonic 3's Carnival Night Zone, these levels are fun to play, especially playing the slot machines trying to get the jackpot in Casino Night Zone from Sonic 2. 

Sweet Mountain from Sonic Colors

dYUDJEC.jpg?1

I love this level so much because it has so much creativity, it is fun to play and it involves my favorite level trope: food! The fact that I have a huge sweet tooth gives me plenty of reason for this level to appeal to me as well. 

Cake, cookies, donuts, ice cream, gingerbread men, lollipops, jelly bean rockets, cheeseburgers all being part of the level design... even the Egg Pawns are fitting to this level with the Chef hats and whisks that they have. I thought this level was very creative tied in with some gameplay factors such as running around loop de loops being made out of candy canes and donuts and using the Drill Wisp to drill through cake :) Bonus points for this level having all the other Wisps available to use as well. The music for Sweet Mountain is great too.

To further sweeten the deal are some of Dr. Eggman's hilarious public announcements over the loudspeaker:

• "We know they look delicious, but please refrain from licking the rides. That would be disgusting. Do you know where those rides have been? People have been sitting on those rides! With their BUTTS! Okay, go ahead; lick them. Don't say we didn't warn you."
  • "We hope you're enjoying this sunny day here at the park. Sadly, a sunny day once again means that the Choco-Coaster is out of service... due to melting."
  • "There's no line at "Bake Me Crazy", the ride that simulates what it's like to be baked like a cake. The ride itself lasts an amazing 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown, not recommended for our guests who are sensitive to temperatures exceeding 350 degrees."
  • "Due to cost restraints, some of the donuts used in this ride are of the stale variety. We apologize for this cost-cutting measure, and hope that you enjoy the ride."

Every time I play through the levels in Sweet Mountain I always see something new as it never ceases to amaze me. I had no idea that a level design based on food would be so fun to both look at and play through! 

And that concludes this round as things are definitely winding down here! I don't have anything additional to mention at this time other than I still have some PMs to send out per what I mentioned the day before which I will do after getting some sleep after working a 15-hour day. So until the next time...

• Thumbs Up 5