Awoo.

Future Sonic 2D games

molul

I just remembered Sonic Fan Remix:

This game was announced shortly after Sonic 4 Episode I was released. And cancelled by Sega, most likely because Sonic 4 looked even worse when compared to this fan project.

Although I love Sonic Mania, I'd actually like to see a 2D (or 2.5D) Sonic game like this in the future. There are a few things I'd change (specially the color balance, so I can actually distinguish between Sonic and the rest of stuff), but this game proves that we could have a "modern" graphics 2D Sonic game, and it would be awesome.

But don't get me wrong, I'll buy Sonic Mania on day 1, and I'll buy any other "pixel" Sonic game if it looks and plays like Mania. It's just that a full game like Sonic Fan Remix would be awesome to play.

• Thumbs Up 1

SFR looks gross to me. Everything's dirty and slimy and cluttered with detail. I'm not necessarily against a 2D game with 3D graphics but SFR is not the game I'd point to as an example to follow.

Was it really cancelled by Sega? I wasn't aware of this project before, but I took a quick look at its website and Sonic Retro page and didn't see a reference to that.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Was it really cancelled by Sega? I wasn't aware of this project before, but I took a quick look at its website and Sonic Retro page and didn't see a reference to that.

No, it was not and I have absolutely no idea where the idea that SEGA shut it down came from. Pelikan showed off the project when it was just Emerald Hill and it's clear just how much effort had gone into creating it. He got the help of at least one other person in the community, but they ultimately canned it when a second zone, based on Chemical Plant, was underway. It was simply too big an undertaking for the small team to continue with.

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

SFR looks gross to me. Everything's dirty and slimy and cluttered with detail. I'm not necessarily against a 2D game with 3D graphics but SFR is not the game I'd point to as an example to follow.

It's cluttered for sure. But what you're looking at is the work of one person. I love the approach that the project took. It just needed the scrutiny of more people to come together in cleaner way. Separating the foreground and background was quite difficult. It was like a rough draft, I guess? It was a starting point. 

Also here's Chemical Plant:

25 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

I agree the look needs to be polished, but it's the essence (a beautiful 2D game made with a 3D engine that has accurate classic physics) that I like. 

22 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I remember reading that back in the day. In Sega's Sonic 4 Episode I forums I think. I know I'm not making it up, but it seems it was false:

"When asked about any legal threats or praise from SEGA, Pelikan said that he nor Mercury have recieived any and that the game will remain freeware."

https://www.sonicretro.org/2010/12/sonic-fan-remix-creators-interviewed-in-latest-gameinformer-issue/