Awoo.

does sonic have a iconic song

Meta77

So this week I've been seeing a lot of Mario and as many know either like me growing up on him in the early 90s or later his first stage song from the old games aka his first is iconic.  you can play it anywhere or any part and people would know. Oh it's Mario

So I began thinking. Does sonic? Sure it be easy to sat green hill but would people honestly know if say it played at a movie with no images to hint it's sonic

I think modern Sonic games music sounds more recognizable. Classic games, however, might not have that. But Sonic 1, 2, 3 and & Knuckles possibly had the best soundtracks the Mega Drive had, together with Dynamite Headdy (a bigger effort, as there's A LOT of tracks), Streets Of Rage (or "is that really the Mega Drive?") and Ristar (very close to Sonic games).

Not especially, these days. But I have a feeling that it should be "You Can Do Anything."

It's made a few appearances outside of CD, and still gets utilized to this day.

And finally, it's used as the token "Sonic" victory jingle in Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics:

I'm down for YCDA as the series' token theme song. 

• Thumbs Up 4

That's literally used in one mode that many probably will never encounter because they don't have a Sonic Amiibo. 

14 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Not especially, these days. But I have a feeling that it should be "You Can Do Anything."

i never noticed this before and now im embarrassed

Personally, I've always been pretty disappointed at SEGA's lack of musical identity with Sonic games. The closest thing were even have to a proper recurring theme is the S3K Act Clear jingle, and even that's been wavering in the games since Unleashed. They need to pick a theme tune and run with it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's a hard question for hardcore fans since they know many songs relatable to Sonic...Personally, I think the iconic song it's the one that if it starts playing everyone around will say "Oh, Sonic..." even if he/she never ever played a Sonic game in his/her entire life...

And yeah, I think that goes either for Green Hill Zone or Title Theme from Sonic 1

I would personally love for SEGA to turn the SK theme tune into a theme for the series, or at least the Classic branch of it. It's nostalgia and a pipedream, but I love it. Two officially sanctioned extended versions of it exist.

First is Virtual Sonic's version, which you might recognise from SRB2:

And the other one is from Sonic the Hedgehog Boom:

The series really does lack any sort of definitive theme tune. The S1/2 theme is the most recognisable, but really it was only used for two proper games before being pretty much dropped. Generations revived it though, which was nice. Live and Learn has kind of stuck it out a bit over the years, but it's less and less relevant all the time. Yeah... the series needs a theme tune. 

I've always personally considered this to be Sonic's true main theme, mostly because it was the first theme he ever had

50 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It's made a few appearances outside of CD, and still gets utilized to this day.

And finally, it's used as the token "Sonic" victory jingle in Mario and Sonic at the Rio Olympics:

I'm down for YCDA as the series' token theme song. 

You forgot one lol

• Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Kool Kirb said:

I've always personally considered this to be Sonic's true main theme, mostly because it was the first theme he ever had

True but would a majority know it. Like the McDonald's ad atm I can be in the shower and hear the jingle and know it's Mario. But Sonics while I know it never seemed to have that same jingle impact

I'd be surprised if they didn't know it tbh. They re-used it again in Generations for a reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Sonic 1/2 theme is definitely the most iconic but I don't think most would have any issue recognising Green Hill, as the OP asks.

My chips go onto Sonic - You Can Do Anything though.  I'm biased since it appeared in my first ever Sonic game, Sonic 2 8-bit, but yeah.  Its melody feels the most neutral and "Sonic" to me somehow.

God though, it appearing in the Sonic Adventure invincibility theme and the Sonic Heroes menu theme and me never noticing is blowing my fucking mind over here wow.

EDIT: OH, and here's yet another one too (which kinda feels like an "Act 2" variant to Sonic 2 Green Hills' Act 1):

• Thumbs Up 4

That's actually a pretty blatant pastiche of YCDA, wow. How did I miss that one?

What's wacky is Naofumi Hataya had nothing to do with Sonic Chaos according to the end credits, but I wonder if he assisted and they forgot to mention him.  Regardless, the sound team did an amazing job of continuing the musical stylings of Sonic 2 8-bit in that game.  Shame the same can't be said for Triple Trouble's soundtrack which I find largely forgettable and lacking in energy.

• Thumbs Up 2

So another question is it fine sonic has no overlayed theme? Sega enjoys trying new sounds a lot

I'm fine with it really, tons of franchises use a unique theme for each game.  To be honest, if used just a LITTLE more often, You Can Do Anything is already sort of used a similar amount/in a similar way to the Legend of Zelda main theme.  They only use it very occasionally in the actual games as a recurring lemotif, only serving as main theme for a very small handful of games (with most all having a unique main theme), and regularly use it to represent the franchise as a whole in external media, such as Smash Bros stages and Mario Kart's Hyrule Circuit.  Compare to You Can Do Anything serving as the theme for Ocean View in All-Stars Transformed, despite the song having nothing to do with Sonic Heroes but rather representing Sonic's "main" stage in that game musically.

I would say Sonic has many iconic musical themes for various reasons, the most innocuous of which is that the vast and complex musical history of the franchise since the beginning seemed prime to insure we wouldn't get a recurring theme anyway: the Sonic 1 opening, Green Hill Zone, the Sonic 3 Act clear jingle, Live and Learn, Escape From the City, and - fuck it- even the English Sonic X theme are likely to be recognized as thematic of Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

I would say Sonic has many iconic musical themes for various reasons, the most innocuous of which is that the vast and complex musical history of the franchise since the beginning seemed prime to insure we wouldn't get a recurring theme anyway: the Sonic 1 opening, Green Hill Zone, the Sonic 3 Act clear jingle, Live and Learn, Escape From the City, and - fuck it- even the English Sonic X theme are likely to be recognized as thematic of Sonic.

I try to forget gotta go fast lol