Awoo.

SEGA Europe COO and president leaves

Graystripe2000

SEGA Europe's COO and president left the company only a day after saying "The SEGA brand will return and flourish" in an interview. (I wouldn't read too much into that, considering it's probably a coincidence). 

http://segabits.com/blog/2017/05/25/sega-europe-coo-and-president-jurgen-post-departs/

According to Gameindustry.biz, he's leaving for a "new opportunity". 

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2017-05-24-sega-europe-boss-jurgen-post-to-leave-after-ten-years

Anyone who's poked about my Twitter (particularly last year) will know one thing; and that's that I didn't like Post in the slightest. 

SoE was butchered under him. The fact fans had to kick up a fuss to get a retro SEGA compilation released, and then it took 6 months after the US anyway, was a shining example of that. Bernie Stolar 2.0 wasn't what we needed. 

Hoping whoever takes over has a slightly better understanding of what "SEGA" is supposed to mean. By all means do Total War and the Manager series, they're certainly popular and well-made games, but don't forget about the wealth of other titles in the process. Thank goodness Deep Silver exist.

I wish him well in his future endeavours, anyway. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I really need to write that article about Sega Europe.

Not been that impressed at all with them lately.

• Thumbs Up 2

Why has SEGA Europe handed over publishing rights for so-many games over to Deep Silver? I thought it was just Atlus games to begin with, but Deep Silver also published Puyo Puyo Tetris. 

10 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Why has SEGA Europe handed over publishing rights for so-many games over to Deep Silver? I thought it was just Atlus games to begin with, but Deep Silver also published Puyo Puyo Tetris. 

PPT was probably part of another deal with them.

2 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

PPT was probably part of another deal with them.

Clearly. I'm asking why though. Does their PC focus have to come at the cost of so many other endeavours?

10 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Clearly. I'm asking why though. Does their PC focus have to come at the cost of so many other endeavours?

You're trying to create a false dichotomy here, between Sega's success as a developer and what you believe should be happening. Yet this idea is flawed, the success of Sega in digital markets and especially PC is what has led to Sega's resurgence in the West. Today Sega of Europe is stronger than they have ever been since the mid-90s; Sega of Europe has even expander further after Sega of America was downsized and now oversees all of Sega's Western operations. Everything good that Sega has accomplished in the West in recent years are a direct result of Sega of Europe’s smart business decisions.

20 hours ago, Kintor said:

Everything good that Sega has accomplished in the West in recent years are a direct result of Sega of Europe’s smart business decisions.

You know what wasn't smart?

Dropping support for just about any title that wasn't made in Europe or for PC, to the point fans had to demand something as small as compilation and an entire other company had to step in.

Y'know what SEGA Europe did? 

Anyway, to answer you honestly @Blue Blood, the reason why; is SEGA Europe was run by a muppet. And he's gone! Drinks are on me, lads. 

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Dropping support for just about any title that wasn't made in Europe or for PC, to the point fans had to demand something as small as compilation and an entire other company had to step in.

You're completely misreading the situation. It's a growing trend for companies to allow intermediaries to handle the expense of a physical release. This is after all, at a time when the games industry is moving increasingly towards digital only content. A trend that Sega of Europe and fully and successfully embraced. The recent PC ports of Bayonetta and Vanquish, both digital only releases, where only made possible thanks to this shift in how Sega does business. So let's not belittle the departure of a long-serving COO who helped shaped Sega of Europe into the powerhouse that it has become today. It looks like Sega is about to begin a new phase in its existence, driven by the example set by Sega of Europe and its push for more digital games.

17 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Y'know what SEGA Europe did? 

Anyway, to answer you honestly @Blue Blood, the reason why; is SEGA Europe was run by a muppet. And he's gone! Drinks are on me, lads. 

But that was planned to begin with. Deep Silver isn't the saviour. It's more like Sega Europe chose the way to operate the way it did.

And yeah he was a muppet - to the Japanese who wanted that type of structure to begin with :P