Awoo.

Ideas for new Sonic Boom games

RedFox99

Maybe they could release a new game on the Switch and it could more like Sonic Adventures in story (minus a Big the Cat story) Where you can play as Team Boom and maybe other characters (Perci, Shadow, Eggman, etc). 

I was playing up some ideas for a Boom game myself, probably would be stupid but eh, watcha gonna do.

The game will be similar to that of Rise of Lyric in terms of setup but the gameplay will be a better version of what Shattered Crystal/Fire & Ice were, so like an action adventure game with some combat (that has the chaotic and fun nature of Platinum Games' better products) but still feels familiar to how a traditional Sonic game should play like with action setpieces and a good amount of exploration and collectibles to find. Also I kind of found it funny if Mick Gordon did the music for the game because I was kinda going for like "a game so over the top in action it's hilarious" vibe that I sorta feel could be in tone for what Boom sets itself to be while still being an epic adventure that can be interesting. Also would be a nice touch if the hub worlds were a lot more lively and you could interact with the villagers/villains/allies that appear in the show. Like yeah, let's fucking go to Roboken and see Mighton and Bolts, the Cubot Prototypes and FriendBot. Why should we? Why not? It's Sonic Boom, let's jjust fucking go there and shit. Or maybe have that as a DLC thing where a new adventure takes place in it and stuff, that'd be fun and interesting. Also I fiddled with the idea of how DOOM 2016 incorporates classic maps in the game and apply that to this new Boom game, where you find stuff like Green Hill, City Escape, Cool Edge or heck even lesser known stages like Sunset Park, Cyber Track or Meteor Base. Go nuts with that shit.

Of course, there'll have to be some in-game dialogue in the game because some of my personal enjoyment of Rise of Lyric is hear some of the character banter in the game. Can bring a lot of funny and sweet moments but of course, don't make the stock "bounce pad/ rings" comments as obnoxious as in RoL (although it would be hilarious if the game acknowledges how annoying it can get and it just doesn't, that would be bold and amazing!).

I also thought of having Shadow and Metal Sonic be playable along with the main 5 as well, although you'll have to go progress through the story to get them. Just now, maybe even unlocking your new allies like Mighton/Bolts, FriendBot, Og and maybe even get to use the Mech Suit Sonic got in Mech Suits Me through missions and stuff, although it wouldn't be as rewarding to get a new character after completing just one mission so I guess maybe do like a couple of missions every once in a while going through the story. Fill up the Boom fanservice with this game, pretty much.

I'm not sure how it would fair but I feel with this kinda set up, this would be a really fun and cool game to play. I know I would and I would fucking buy the soundtrack in a heartbeat if Mick Gordon would compose the music for it (although I am perfectly fine with Jacques' musical contributions to the Boom games, please make a soundtrack of that available somewhere in the future).

But yeah, hope that game proposal sounds interesting even though it will never happen in my lifetime.

• Thumbs Up 3

That does sound like a good game. (Though the language was a bit unnecessary, no offense.)

A genuinely different gameplay style could justify its existence as a spin-off, à la Riders.  Perhaps as an actual Metroidvania, rather than the awkward blend of Shattered Crystal?  Alternatively, something more rooted in the style and lore (as it were) of the show wouldn't be a bad idea, as there's so much more groundwork for that now.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, FFWF said:

A genuinely different gameplay style could justify its existence as a spin-off, à la Riders.  Perhaps as an actual Metroidvania, rather than the awkward blend of Shattered Crystal?  Alternatively, something more rooted in the style and lore (as it were) of the show wouldn't be a bad idea, as there's so much more groundwork for that now.

That's interesting. It would be nice if the story of the show was expanded upon.

On 5/28/2017 at 0:49 PM, FFWF said:

I could see the game working similar to the original Digimon World, with building the town being a major part of play. Even bridge the disparate Boom incarnations together in this game. Have characters like Kyle the Gorilla and Chef Woody available as villagers in addition to the TV show ones.

I know it sounds weird but I think Boom, as a game series, would be better off doing it's own thing separate from modern and classic. Since it's a spin-off, it should find it's own style. I know, I know, that's what rise of lyric was suppose to be. What if they attempt rise of lyric route again but done right? 

Recently, I've been playing Dragon's Crown, it's basically a "Streets of Rage" style beat em up with rpg elements. Other characters will assist you and you're awarded for examining your surroundings. It's very challenging and pretty fun. 

Considering that Boom has a huge cast of characters and teamwork/exploration being the main focus. I think it's good idea to take elements from games similar to Dragon's Crown. 

As for something more speed based, what about Freedom Planet? There's combat and speed. Both done pretty well. Taking what worked in Fire and Ice and adding a Freedom Planet flare sounds very appealing. 

As for tone? Make it like T.V show.  Fully aware of itself and the past games. Not sure sure anybody would take Boom very seriously as a narrative anymore. 

I think this canon is well-suited to fighting. 

Sonic Boom doesn't have a big world of the sort that makes speeding around an opportune approach, though naturally it's the prerogative of developers to build up the world.  However, the canon that has developed in this series focuses on a cast who almost all inhabit one island, so either you use them or you waste them.

However, fights break out almost every episode--mostly repetitive, sure, but they could be made better--and the Robots From the Sky saga brought a lot more of the supporting cast into the fight.  So let's go with that.  Keep it funny, but up the threats and bring in a few new villains to fight.

Starting Characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks.

Unlockable Characters: Shadow, Perci, Ogg, Tommy Thunder, Soar the Eagle, Friendbot, Mighton, Bolts...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/3/2017 at 1:46 AM, Scritch the Cat said:

I think this canon is well-suited to fighting. 

Sonic Boom doesn't have a big world of the sort that makes speeding around an opportune approach, though naturally it's the prerogative of developers to build up the world.  However, the canon that has developed in this series focuses on a cast who almost all inhabit one island, so either you use them or you waste them.

However, fights break out almost every episode--mostly repetitive, sure, but they could be made better--and the Robots From the Sky saga brought a lot more of the supporting cast into the fight.  So let's go with that.  Keep it funny, but up the threats and bring in a few new villains to fight.

Starting Characters: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks.

Unlockable Characters: Shadow, Perci, Ogg, Tommy Thunder, Soar the Eagle, Friendbot, Mighton, Bolts...

Maybe they can introduce a sort of teleportation plot line so that they can explore Earth.