Awoo.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Entering "Development Phase", Urgently Recruiting Team Members, Now Being Made Internally

Zippo

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/05/24/final-fantasy-vii-remake-team-urgently-recruiting-heres-message-key-staff/#EKOPLziTl5ryrBHi.99

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1381923

This is generally pretty upsetting news. Going by what Nomura is saying in his comments, Final Fantasy 7 remake has apparently only been in pre-production for the past two years, with actual development now beginning to start up. Naoki Hamaguchi, the main programmer of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and project lead on Mobius Final Fantasy, is now the project lead on the remake. It also looks like Square is cutting ties with CyberConnect2. 

I tried to be excited for this, but just seeing Nomura's name on this means that I need to stop caring about this ever coming out. It's becoming more and more obvious to me that Sony's E3 2015 conference was nothing but pure hype and empty promises. 

A good question i keep asking myself:
Why can Square Enix seemingly not schedule or manage a project for shit?

• Thumbs Up 5

So basically the game was announced too early just like KH3? You know maybe it's a good idea to not announce your games this early just for E3 hype. Especially if we might wait for like 5 years or in Square's most recent case 10 years. Makes you wonder how long it's going to be until we get the complete package since this game is going to be episodic. 

37 minutes ago, Zippo said:

Naoki Hamaguchi, the main programmer of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII and project lead on Mobius Final Fantasy, is now the project lead on the remake. It also looks like Square is cutting ties with CyberConnect2. 

http://cs8.pikabu.ru/images/big_size_comm_an/2016-06_4/1466111513241882271.gif

Nomura, man, you left FF XV for this and KH3. Can't you have the decency to NOT go about replacing Cyber Connect 2 with folks behind that game of all things!?

Why am I getting The Last Guardian flashbacks? Is FF7 going to be the next Last Guardian?

For f*ck sake Square Enix.

Stop that. Please.

Stop making a teaser trailer in CG, and a another trailer with the first 10 minutes of a 60 hours game that probably doesn't even have Aerith's model ready.

3 minutes ago, Ariel the Blue Wisp said:

Why am I getting The Last Guardian flashbacks? Is FF7 going to be the next Last Guardian?

You mean Final Fantasy vs. 13 right?

11 minutes ago, Balding Spider said:

Show of hands, who was shocked by this?

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

You mean Final Fantasy vs. 13 right?

Nah man, he means Scalebound.

28 minutes ago, Zippo said:

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

exactly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Sony paid Square Enix to announce both KH3 and FF7R much earlier than planned. Either that or Square Enix still hasn't learned from their mistakes.

3 minutes ago, Detective Kaito said:

I think Sony paid Square Enix to announce both KH3 and FF7R much earlier than planned. Either that or Square Enix still hasn't learned from their mistakes.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say both of those have some truth to them. 

I expected this when they showed that trailer two years ago. Typical Square Enix!

FFVIIR coming out the next decade confirmed.

10 hours ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

http://cs8.pikabu.ru/images/big_size_comm_an/2016-06_4/1466111513241882271.gif

Nomura, man, you left FF XV for this and KH3. Can't you have the decency to NOT go about replacing Cyber Connect 2 with folks behind that game of all things!?

Don't throw shade at the best game in the FFXIII trilogy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. well... I guess that's good to know that Final Fantasy VII Remake's first episode will come out in probably 10 years from now. Like, Jesus Fucking Christ Square, really?

11 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

So basically the game was announced too early just like KH3? You know maybe it's a good idea to not announce your games this early just for E3 hype. Especially if we might wait for like 5 years or in Square's most recent case 10 years. Makes you wonder how long it's going to be until we get the complete package since this game is going to be episodic. 

It was pretty obvious it was. I had little hope for it because SE keeps doing this all the time. Yeah, it was a hype reveal. We're not seeing it for like 10 years, though.

3 hours ago, Mania Pipe said:

Wow. well... I guess that's good to know that Final Fantasy VII Remake's first episode will come out in probably 10 years from now. Like, Jesus Fucking Christ Square, really?

Eh, the last episode. Its episodic so they'll be able to come sooner. First one will probably be in like 3-4 years, 5 years at worst.

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Eh, the last episode. Its episodic so they'll be able to come sooner. First one will probably be in like 3-4 years, 5 years at worst.

Speaking as "the glass is half full" kind of guy who excels at optimism, even I find that amazingly optimistic and wish you luck there. lol

Welp, I was hoping I could pick up FF7 remake one day before I died but I guess I was just too optimistic. No one can live to be 1090...

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

Speaking as "the glass is half full" kind of guy who excels at optimism, even I find that amazingly optimistic and wish you luck there. lol

I was being pessimistic as well. I was simply arguing that 10 years just for Episode 1 was TOO pessimistic.

But...

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake Entering Development Phase"

Was the title like this earlier? I was aware of the development team shifting, but what's this about entering "Development Phase?" Are they saying it literally hasn't started being developed yet? Because we've already seen some gameplay. I thought his was just shifting it back to internal development because its not being developed as fast as they wanted it to be.

But...

"Final Fantasy 7 Remake Entering Development Phase"

Was the title like this earlier? I was aware of the development team shifting, but what's this about entering "Development Phase?" Are they saying it literally hasn't started being developed yet? Because we've already seen some gameplay. I thought his was just shifting it back to internal development because its not being developed as fast as they wanted it to be.

That's what Nomura himself says in his comments. Meaning the game has been in pre-production this entire time. Most likely, that "gameplay" trailer we saw in 2015 was a target render, just like the first Kingdom Hearts 3 "gameplay" we saw at Sony's conference in 2013. 

I really do have to wonder why they even bothered announcing this when they had nothing even made yet besides like a minute of footage? Keep it classy square, maybe i'll hyper freeze myself for 50 years to wait 20 more just for this to come out.

Oh look at that, Square finally managed to push everyone past the tipping point. Fucking Christ they got the KHCast to stop giving a genuine shit for KH3. THAT's saying something 

• Thumbs Up 2

If this game even manages to come out within this console generation, I'll be nothing short of amazed, even if the wait is longer.

But cutting ties with CyberConnect2? Really? Shame; I was hoping they'd at least help get it out a little faster.

On 5/30/2017 at 6:29 PM, MegasonicZX said:

I really do have to wonder why they even bothered announcing this when they had nothing even made yet besides like a minute of footage? Keep it classy square, maybe i'll hyper freeze myself for 50 years to wait 20 more just for this to come out.

Because they wanted to get people excited for something when people were losing interest in Square's games. I think Nintendo a couple of times has actually announced a game is in development before it actually started development (though they didn't try showing anything). They did it for Smash Wii (later Brawl) before even asking Sakurai to work on the game (well, they would have made the game with or without Sakurai).

EDIT: Still, Nintendo announcing Smash isn't as bad because they still got it done in a timely manner.

Because they wanted to get people excited for something when people were losing interest in Square's games. I think Nintendo a couple of times has actually announced a game is in development before it actually started development (though they didn't try showing anything). They did it for Smash Wii (later Brawl) before even asking Sakurai to work on the game (well, they would have made the game with or without Sakurai).

EDIT: Still, Nintendo announcing Smash isn't as bad because they still got it done in a timely manner.

Yeah, but I just don't see the point in getting people excited for something that isn't even close to being finished though and I can give Nintendo the benefit of a doubt since with smash they had some snippets of gameplay mixed in there (albeit, not terribly much) and while I won't say they haven't done the whole CGI thing before, they don't use it as much as other companies do.