Awoo.

Sonic Mania Pre Order Trailer - Coming August 15th

Wraith

That was the past version of Stardust fucking Speedway. So Mania will have time travel in the Sonic CD stages? FUCKING AWESOME!

That trailer song better be included in the soundtrack, god dang it!

Also, speculation: perhaps this game will feature cutscenes on tier of say, CD's anime cutscenes.

>Sonic Mega Drive-esque animated cutscenes

>Incredible music

>Stardust Speedway with a new plant boss

>Flying Battery gets a new claw machine gimmick

I've already pre-ordered the Collector's Edition for PC, but now I want it on the Switch, too! These next 2.5 months are gonna be painful....

The opening shot with that cartoon Sonic made me tear up a little bit, it was fun. 

Whaaaaaaaaat is that zone supposed to mean though? Is it past Stardust Speedway or a desolated future Stardust Speedway?

And why Stardust Speedway I never expected a zone from CD in this. Not that I mind but I never saw it coming.

• Thumbs Up 3

Those beats sound amazing. And that animation is glorious, period. If Sega ever makes another Sonic anime, this quality of animation is what they should aim for.

Sega listen...stop releasing trailers please! I already want to play your game...stop making more hype than I already am!!! :o

One thing I noticed though, The elavator had 1 2 3 K and M...obviously to represent the original games and Mania...but what about CD?!

Is sega still hesitant to be up front on where that game takes place or...

2 minutes ago, Alienrun said:

Sega listen...stop releasing trailers please! I already want to play your game...stop making more hype than I already am!!! :o

One thing I noticed though, The elavator had 1 2 3 K and M...obviously to represent the original games and Mania...but what about CD?!

Is sega still hesitant to be up front on where that game takes place or...

It's keeping Sonic 4 company.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mayor D said:

It's keeping Sonic 4 company.

I know this is a joke but I'm certain the mania team wants to avoid 4 like wild fire simply due to how disrespectful the first episode was (and by extension the second). Though if we consider those games canon, then that's more evidence for CD taking place there...

Honestly though, I personally feel it takes place after 3 anyways simply due to that one animation on the DA garden that shows Tails flying Sonic's plane...there is literately no reason to say that didn't happen!

As far as I'm concerned, Sonic 4 is just a fever-dream Sonic had after going to sleep at the end of Lost World.

That's why the games are just Sonic 1 and 2 but uglier - So was the Lost Hex.

• Thumbs Up 5

Wait...guys I realized something!

They showed off Stardust Speedway Past...so our initial thoughts were "Oh, they brought in time travel!"

But did you consider they had a different reason. As I recall the "Past" areas in Sonic CD have the same OST in both JP and US...what if they purposefuly picked a past level so that noone would get upset at which music they ended up picking?

Think about it, not only does it save them development time to design 3-4 different versions of the same level BUT it also allows them to dodge the awkward question of "okay so how do we give people both soundtracks without having to awkwardly ask the player at the begining of the game which soundtrack do you perfer for these 2 very specific levels that appear in the game in an order we can't tell you?!"

I honestly don't know how they are gonna handle it, perhaps I'm wrong on all this and they'll default to using the JP soundtrack since its the original and it fits with the past better......AND Gens is a thing so they gotta respect that Stardust Speedway JP choice in that game (maybe?)

What do you guys think? Am I looking to into this?

...I'm sorry I just really like CD's soundtrack lol

I doubt that the soundtrack was their first priority in which CD level they picked, but I'm sure they were aware that using a Past version would let them avoid taking a side in the US vs JPN/EU debate and they likely factored that into their decision.

• Thumbs Up 3

Perfect.  Quite perfect.  I really hope that a finished and full version of that animation will be in the game itself, and I'm reasonably confident it will be.  Really brings back that Classic Sonic sense of fun, adventure, mischief.  I wonder if the elevator is purely metaphorical?

They even managed to get me excited about Stardust Speedway, which wasn't even one of my top zone picks for inclusion in the game, but they knew how to sell it.  I don't think the inclusion of only the Past version is necessarily meaningful, by the way; given how careful they've been with things like second acts and bosses, it makes sense to me that they would only reveal one of Stardust Speedway's time zones even if it has several of them going.  The way they're presenting it does make me wonder if potential time travel in Stardust Speedway (and any other possible CD level) might be a scripted event at set points in the level, though; like say, start off in the Past, cut to Present halfway through the zone, cut to Future halfway through Act 2, or something like that.

The Flying Battery Zone miniboss seems to confirm the theory that minibosses in classic levels will be reworkings of the original zone boss; the GHZ miniboss is a reimagining of the wrecking ball, and the FBZ miniboss is a reimagining of the original's pre-boss reference to Sonic 2's Wing Fortress boss.  That thing sure has gone through a few iterations by now!  So the Stardust Speedway miniboss might be a race, or perhaps a reference to the death ray Eggman used in the Metal Sonic race.  One wonders what this means for Metal Sonic, of course...

• Thumbs Up 8

Awesome trailer. Really, August 15th feels more far away than it is XD

I already preordered the game. I'm really curious about how many digital preorders they'll get this week.

5 minutes ago, molul said:

Awesome trailer. Really, August 15th feels more far away than it is XD

I already preordered the game. I'm really curious about how many digital preorders they'll get this week.

tons.

have the PS4 CE pre ordered for months now. instantly bought the pc version today. cant wait.

This is surely getting much more intriguing with each reveal than expected ^_^

There was a moment in a conversation between Aaron and an interviewer, a few months ago discussing at a Nintendo conference relative to the switch version and there was a spot where his wording made it sound as though CD would not have zones in the main game.  I'm not sure many if any other people interpreted it that way, but I did, making this sudden and unexpected reveal much more suprising!  Stardust Speedway Past is one of my top three or two favorite zones out of all of the games! ^_^:wub:  It is amazing to consider that Tee has made his own version of that particular music and possibly of additional Stardust Speedway music! 

Maybe it is the past because CD takes place long after this story?  I don't think that it was specified in the CD story that Sonic had never visited LIttle Planet previously.  However it could certainly be that the past is still the past to the Mania timeline and there is time travelling available.

• Thumbs Up 1

Already got the Xbox One CE on order. Will be picking up the Switch version too. 

I'll Pre-Order the PS4 version tomorrow, it will be the first game that I've ever pre-ordered too.

This trailer has put my hype levels on absolute max.

So rewatching the trailer and seeing the characters switch off mid-way gave me an idea...

What if in debug mode (I'll be surprised if this game doesn't have a debug mode) you could place a life monitor that isn't of your face...and when you break it you instantly turn into that character!

I know it sounds like such a simple idea, but there's a good chance they won't do that. But honestly there is no reason not to and I think it would add to the debug experience a lot more if I didn't have to exit out everytime I wanted to switch characters!