Awoo.

Too old for Sonic?

BlazingTales

Hello everyone. To explain where this topic comes from, I need to tell you about a conversation me and a sibling had earlier. My sibling is not much of a Sonic fan, let me put that out there before you read more.

I was playing Sonic Unleashed when they walked up to me and said

Sibling: "Ugh, Sonic, of course."

Me: "So?"

Sibling: "Sonic sucks, only children under the age of ten buy it!"

Me: "Well, they sell very nicely for only kids buying it."

Sibling: (silent for a while) "What the crap? Who the heck makes this?"

Me: (thinking he was talking about the achitechure in Adabat 1, and trying to lighten the mood "(laughs) Apperently the Mayans!"

Sibling: "In Sonic the Mayans made bouncy pads and rings, what the heck? That's so stupid!"

Me: "No, I was talking about the buildings."

Sibling: "Why the heck are there floating platforms anyway! The Mayans didn't have that "

Me: "It's SONIC! He's a BLUE hedgehog, it doesn't have to make sense! 'Sides Mario has coins and stuff."

Sibling: "There are people, so why the heck is there a blue hedgehog? Sonic games are dumb because they try to be real. At least Mario hangs out with mushrooms."

Me: "Note how the people look like Pixar characters."

Sibling: "Everything still looks like it's trying to be too real!"

Me: "(laughs) You want to see a Sonic game trying to be real?" (puts in Sonic 06) "You can laugh at this game all you want, because I hate it, too."

Sibling: "I remember when you played this game all the time."

Me: "No I didn't that was Sonic Adventure 2."

Sibling: "I didn't even know they made so many Sonic games."

Me: "As I said, they sell well." (shows him the kiss scene) "THAT's a Sonic game trying to be too real. It's dumb, isn't it?" (plays Sonic Unleashed again)

Sibling: (after a while) "Only "gays" and kids under ten like Sonic, and you. You're going to be like 50 and still playing a stupid kids game."

Basically...

Do you feel people can like Sonic, at any age?

Personally, I think the appeal of the character can last a lifetime. Unfortunately, my sibling is a bit of a twat, and wouldn't understand that you can still like characters like Mickey Mouse when you're older. And that games that don't have an 'M' rating can be good. <_<

Also Where do you draw the 'line of reality' in Sonic games? Are humans too much? What about the graphics?

I don't really have any problem with humans in Sonic games. I loved every one of the NPC in Sonic Unleashed, and felt like they were creative and added depth. I wouldn't mind ever-so-slightly more real humans though. I also support the 'fake' buildings with 'real' textures theory going on. I also would love a game like this:

SCREENIE

To me, it's another perfect mix between real and fake.

Discuss, please! :lol:

Edited by BlazingTales
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think someone around here has a quote from C. S. Lewis in their signature that I think applies pretty well here.

And yeah, I think Sonic can appeal to older people as well. The ones on the Genesis certainly did.

I don't see how that works. Some people may have that opinion, but how come other "cartoony" characters aren't only for kids, but Sonic is? I certainly never hear anyone saying how Mario is only a kids series. And hey, I'm turning NINETEEN at the end of the month. I'm still interested in most of Sonic's newest games; I just either don't have the console or can't afford to get the game (I'm gonna get Unleashed for PS2 soon).

I certainly have no idea what "kid under ten" (except the rare, gifted ones) who could get very far in any game at all except games that are MADE for kids that young. Perhaps I'm being a bit excessive in mentioning specifically kids under ten, but it still doesn't leave much room for improvement... perhaps more around 7 is the correct number, but still. And then take a look at Sonic Unleashed; that game is HARD, especially Eggmanland. Only skilled players could beat that.

Play what you want to play, watch what you want to watch, read what you want to read, and so on. I don't see why age has to come into it at all.

Nor do I understand why other people care. What the fuck business is theirs what you're playing?

• Thumbs Up 2

To put it bluntly, people that base a game (or anything, for that matter) entirely on how "mature" really just need to lighten up. Just because the Sonic series has cartoony characters and is appropriate (content-wise) for younger audiences, doesn't mean it's exclusively for little kids. I've played many brilliant games that are completely family-friendly, while at the same time, I've played some M-rated games that are truly awful. Basically, blood/guts/fanservice/language =/= automatic masterpiece.

Edited by KururuSouchou
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ironically trying to be "mature"(In the form of Shadow's solo game and Sonic 06) is part of why the Sonic series gained a bad reputation.

Hello everyone. To explain where this topic comes from, I need to tell you about a conversation me and a sibling had earlier. My sibling is not much of a Sonic fan, let me put that out there before you read more.

I was playing Sonic Unleashed when they walked up to me and said

Sibling: "Ugh, Sonic, of course."

Me: "So?"

Sibling: "Sonic sucks, only children under the age of ten buy it!"

Me: "Well, they sell very nicely for only kids buying it."

Sibling: (silent for a while) "What the crap? Who the heck makes this?"

Me: (thinking he was talking about the achitechure in Adabat 1, and trying to lighten the mood "(laughs) Apperently the Mayans!"

Sibling: "In Sonic the Mayans made bouncy pads and rings, what the heck? That's so stupid!"

Me: "No, I was talking about the buildings."

Sibling: "Why the heck are there floating platforms anyway! The Mayans didn't have that "

Me: "It's SONIC! He's a BLUE hedgehog, it doesn't have to make sense! 'Sides Mario has coins and stuff."

Sibling: "There are people, so why the heck is there a blue hedgehog? Sonic games are dumb because they try to be real. At least Mario hangs out with mushrooms."

Me: "Note how the people look like Pixar characters."

Sibling: "Everything still looks like it's trying to be too real!"

Me: "(laughs) You want to see a Sonic game trying to be real?" (puts in Sonic 06) "You can laugh at this game all you want, because I hate it, too."

Sibling: "I remember when you played this game all the time."

Me: "No I didn't that was Sonic Adventure 2."

Sibling: "I didn't even know they made so many Sonic games."

Me: "As I said, they sell well." (shows him the kiss scene) "THAT's a Sonic game trying to be too real. It's dumb, isn't it?" (plays Sonic Unleashed again)

Sibling: (after a while) "Only "gays" and kids under ten like Sonic, and you. You're going to be like 50 and still playing a stupid kids game."

Basically...

Do you feel people can like Sonic, at any age?

Personally, I think the appeal of the character can last a lifetime. Unfortunately, my sibling is a bit of a twat, and wouldn't understand that you can still like characters like Mickey Mouse when you're older. And that games that don't have an 'M' rating can be good. <_<

Also Where do you draw the 'line of reality' in Sonic games? Are humans too much? What about the graphics?

I don't really have any problem with humans in Sonic games. I loved every one of the NPC in Sonic Unleashed, and felt like they were creative and added depth. I wouldn't mind ever-so-slightly more real humans though. I also support the 'fake' buildings with 'real' textures theory going on. I also would love a game like this:

SCREENIE

To me, it's another perfect mix between real and fake.

Discuss, please! :lol:

YES! Finally somebody says something about how people call Sonic "Under age", but NO NO NO NO NO! He's a good guy and can get VERY addicting after you play Sonic Unleashed.

A load of barnacles, if you ask me. Sure, the target audience for most Sonic games is (apparently) young, but I'll be damned if I give up being a Sonic fan once I turn 20. DJ Hyper Sonic hasn't done it, and I won't either. One thing I find quite funny is that your sibling, BlazingTales, uses the exact same argument my mother used on me to try and scare me into giving up a few of my toys, "You'll be doing this when you're way too old" So what? I'd rather be old, but happy with my habits than go and throw everything out just because I'm being spited for it. :P Things like Sonic, to me, have no age limit. My parents, people in my environment and so on have tried to force the opinion on me that certain things should not be done at certain ages, but somehow, I don't think it's going to work. :)

In regards to humans and other realistic elements...Well, I certainly don't mind them, I like the idea of Sonic existing in the same realm as humans and interacting with them, especially if, like in Unleashed, they have unique characters and actually help you on your way through the game. I think I'd laugh if your sibling was given a completely realistic Sonic game where all the hovering platforms, spring boards and things had disappeared...I believe that without some skill, they'd fall to their death several times over, not to mention the fact that perhaps the game wouldn't have as many set pieces (such as the loops)

(On a totally unrelated note, man, is it difficult to post in Sonic Discussion...it feels like you're parroting what's already been said. :lol:)

• Thumbs Up 1

A load of barnacles, if you ask me. Sure, the target audience for most Sonic games is (apparently) young, but I'll be damned if I give up being a Sonic fan once I turn 20. DJ Hyper Sonic hasn't done it, and I won't either. One thing I find quite funny is that your sibling, BlazingTales, uses the exact same argument my mother used on me to try and scare me into giving up a few of my toys, "You'll be doing this when you're way too old" So what? I'd rather be old, but happy with my habits than go and throw everything out just because I'm being spited for it. :P Things like Sonic, to me, have no age limit. My parents, people in my environment and so on have tried to force the opinion on me that certain things should not be done at certain ages, but somehow, I don't think it's going to work. :)

Yeah, my sib has always been a bit of a 'parent-wanna-be'. When we still lived at the house, my folks used to always remind my sibling that they are not the parent. I brought this particular conversation up because it's not the first time I've heard it. Folks on IGN, and forum members on GameFAQs debate about this quite often. I was just wondering what everyone thought of it.

You really should have brought Micky Mouse into the argument. There's a character that's quite kiddy, has realistic stuff, (mainly environments) in it and appeals to older audiences.

And exactly what Diogenes said.

But I do admit, I'd like it if he tried to aim his appeal towards anyone, a more middle ground group, and not just kids. Sure they are the target demographic, but he should be able to stick to that general demographic but still be likable for older audiences to appreciate.

Edited by VirgoTheCougar

Pah, what a load of crap.

I'd argue that the only things you can genuinely perhaps be too old for are things aimed at pre-school children (i.e. under 4 years old). Anything aimed much above that is likely to have some charm that can appeal to adults. My parents have been watching The Flintstones in the mornings recently. My gran likes the Hannah-Barbera cartoons as well.

I would perhaps worry if there are many fans of the Teletubbies into their teens, mind...

I think by the time people hit their twenties, they're usually out of the mentality. Well, except the really stubborn and/ or stupid ones.

Eh, most kids, especially boys, go through a phase where they think like that. The lucky few grow out of it.

Haha, so true. I think everyone's like that at some points, just some take longer to grow out of it. And some... never do. XP

Don't sweat it, BlazeTale (mind if I call you that?) It's just a kid that has no idea what makes a good game or not, and has no clue about the concept of "fiction." From the sound of it, he just didn't like the game, and was looking for something to insult the game with. In this case, "Sonic is for children." Well, he's right. Sonic was originally a series that could be enjoyed by most anybody. It's just some of the cheesiness that gives him a "childish" look. But understand, Sonic is also enjoyed by teenagers, adults, and the like. Mario is enjoyed by kids, teens and adults. Pacman is enjoyed by kids, teens, and adults. See what I'm getting at?

Just wait for him to grow up a little. There's not much you can do, really. Hope things work out, though.

Yeah, my sib has always been a bit of a 'parent-wanna-be'. When we still lived at the house, my folks used to always remind my sibling that they are not the parent. I brought this particular conversation up because it's not the first time I've heard it. Folks on IGN, and forum members on GameFAQs debate about this quite often. I was just wondering what everyone thought of it.

WOW! This person sounds quite (but not as horrible) like my older brother! Is he older? I get tired of when he gets on my case for the things I watch. Take the show Kirby Right Back at ya, for instance. Sure it was made to be educational and for little kids, but that doesn't mean we teens (or adults) can't appreciate it for it's simpleness and characters. Yeah, it's on a sadder level with my bro, he just can't stand me and my sis enjoying a show together. So he'll make a 'witty' comment for attention. And when I confront him about anything annoying he says, his delusional head says, "Aw, you two enjoy my comments, it gives you attention." ARRRG! One time we were laughing at Kirby and he said, "How can you two watch that SH*T! And the irony is his 30 year old friend watches Kirby like us, but has he said that to her? Probably not. He tries to use his "older authority" over me and thinks he knows better than me. Which is sometimes the case, but he can't recognize my individuality.

Once he was complaining that Dad was talking down to him in a like fashion, so I said, "Yeah, I know what it's like to have someone constantly over your shoulder criticizing you for what you like." He replies, "Oh yeah, real subtle, Eli!" I thought it was funny how he picked up on that because sometimes he's in denial. The more I turn away from him the more he realizes I hate his mockings, I guess. Then he says "At least I don't make you turn off those things like Dad does." Oh, that was something I found sooo redeeming.

Ironically trying to be "mature"(In the form of Shadow's solo game and Sonic 06) is part of why the Sonic series gained a bad reputation.

Exactly. Every time you make a comment like that I couldn't agree more. Once my bro walked in on me as I played Shadow. Shadow cursed, my bro was like "did he just say-" Then I say, "They made this game to appeal to older audiences." Then he walks away and says, "See? Sonic can be cool, too!" He thinks cursing is a sign of maturity, quite the opposite. There are many dynamics to it we've all thought of or read, so I won't continue.

Still, as much as my bro condemns me, he still TRIES to show interest and I know he's not a horrible person so I should be thankful. Has your sib treated you like that?

P.S. As for the floating platforms, SO WHAT? That's just a video game gimmick. Mario has floating platforms everywhere. And those aren't in Sonic cartoons or anything.

Edited by Eli

At my country, game innocence is lost...

I see 5 year olds saying sonic and mario are kiddy and that they want to play GTA

WHAT!?

I take it your brother only plays GTA and Madden? I'm almost 25 and I love Sonic. Maybe you should let him try Shadow the Hedgehog.

I remember when Sonic was considered the mature alternative to Mario by a lot of people back in the Genesis/SNES days. I've heard a lot more people say Mario is kiddie than Sonic. Any game made by Nintendo is assumed to be "kiddie" by the majority of casual gamers.

Edited by Joseppi

You're never too old for Video Games! <3

I see 5 year olds saying sonic and mario are kiddy and that they want to play GTA

WHAT!?

O_O :blink:

But you can be too young, it seems...

Sonic is an alright character but as far as the games are concerned I do feel like I've outgrown them, which is particularly why I don't care about any upcoming releases.

It doesn't matter who it's made for, what's important is who it appeals to. For example, Pac-Man was specifically designed to appeal to females and now its a hit with both genders alike. Frankly, comments that say you shouldn't play games that aren't designed for your age is just naive and stupid; games were made as a source of entertainment, not judgement.

For example, Pac-Man was specifically designed to appeal to females

What.

I think Sonic's appeal used to be universal, but now I can see why anybody older than 16 would be embarrassed to try getting into the series at their age. Being old shouldn't prevent you from playing and enjoying games, movies, comics, or cartoons made for children, but as of late, I don't think the Sonic series has been doing a good job at trying to make particular demographics not embarrassed playing the games. Still, it's always ultimately up to you.

In short, don't worry about enjoying something solely for your age alone; if something is of high quality, then god damn it, by all means it should be enjoyed by as many people as possible.

Heh, doesn't bother me one bit on how old I get, Sonic's always been one of my favorites. Hell, there's a nice little lounge at my school with some nice big, flat screen tvs. Wanna know what I did? I hooked one of the nice little VGA cables to my laptop and started playing Sonic Riders =).

Hell, I made a good amount of people smile when I did that, nice crowds are nice. I even got at least 10 people talking about how much they like Sonic and what I myself thought of the series.

"There's good games and bad games, nothings perfect, it's all a matter of personal experience. I mean, I'm a Sonic fan, but even I have a few Sonic games that I don't like, nothings ever perfect, just go for what you like."

Then afterwards I joined the gaming club at my school =D

Play what you want to play, watch what you want to watch, read what you want to read, and so on. I don't see why age has to come into it at all.

Nor do I understand why other people care. What the fuck business is theirs what you're playing?

This on so many levels.

WHAT!?

Seriously...What?

• Thumbs Up 1

For example, Pac-Man was specifically designed to appeal to females and now its a hit with both genders alike.

Are you sure you don't mean Ms. Pacman?