Awoo.

Too old for Sonic?

BlazingTales

I really wonder why the age must be an obstacle to what we like concerning games.

I mean, why can an 8 years old kid like stuff like god of war wich is mass blood, curse, death to your eyes action and his parents are okay with that.

But when they see their 17 years old college boy play sonic adventure 2, they say stuff like "this game is for kids (without ever saying like your younger brother) why don't you do something of your life like play football and get a good job for your future"

Are we... gonna change their lives if we don't play games that they find interesting?

Seriously, hell's gonna break loose on me if someone in my family dies because 5 years later, when i'll be 25, i'm still gonna play sonic and still be a hardcore sonic fan wich will always be the case....

Edited by Unholy Sonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am 20 years old. I didn't really think I'd still be a Sonic fan, but here I am still loving the exact same video game character from my childhood. Shmeezus.

I believe in being a child at heart. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Mainstream society just has it hammered into our brains that we have to act and feel a certain way about certain things, and when someone decides to go against the flow, we deem them "weird." It's sad, but it's just the way things are. People are just "that way."

A good friend of mine is a huge Disney fan. We must have gone on that "Winnie the Pooh" ride at Disneyland over 4 times...X_x; she carries Disney stuff all over the place and quotes famous Disney lines quite loudly and humorously in public areas. We even waited in line just so that she could get a picture with Mickey Mouse.

In any case, she's very successful and works as a corporate exec. for a very reputable company. She's also very athletic and she's even been hired as a security/body guard several times because of her physical strength. She's destroyed guys twice her size and she's probably the most well-liked, highly-respected person I've ever met.

....And yet, she loves Pooh Bear. x3 Really though, it's the feelings that the characters bring out in us. They inspire us and make us feel really happy. So my answer is yes, if a mature twenty-something-year-old adult like her can love something as childish as Pooh Bear, than anyone can most definitely enjoy Sonic.

As for the second question, I think having humans in the Sonic game is fine. It makes it entertaining. It makes you wonder how they'll interact with each other. I liked the Pixar styled characters in the game, but that's just because I enjoy Pixar films. x3 I WOULD like to see some more realistic human beings, but I'm sure those will come later.

Edited by Invistar

• 4 years later...

I'm 14 and everyone thinks I'm too old for sonic.

I do wish I had a friend who I could play sonic with, I do have friends but they all play cod and gta and stuff

I do love gta. cod kinda sucks but they will never beat my childhood hero sonic, he owns those games like a pair of dogs.

Everyone in my family(apart from parents)liked sonic as a kid but they have all grown out of it.

My friends when I was a kid all loved sonic but I didn't think it was great at the time.

I used to get up in the morning on Saturday and me and my brother would either watch sonic x, Satam or adventures of sonic and then play so

Sonic 3(didn't have knuckles one.)those were some awesome times.

Me and my brother when we were little were huge sonic fans but now my brothers 16 turning 17, he has grown out of it.

He doesn't insult me for still playing sonic. But he said I will defo grow out of it which will be a never.

Sonics awesome and my childhood hero so I'm not gonna drop him like all the other kids did and I don't think anyone else should either.

Heck, when I have kids they are gonna become sonic fans(I hope)

My little brothers 2 so I will try and get him to be a sonic fan.

Don't worry! Your never too old for Disney and the same for sonic/anything else.

You can be too young but never too old to watch/.play something.

Just go play sonic generations to feel better.

Hey. No one is too old to play Sonic, Mario, and others, of course. Unless it's an M-Rated game like Battlefield, CoD, or something like that. I can tell that there is times where you can just look back and play something you've never tried before, or just revisit the childhood you once had. Tho I'm 16, I'm really like a person who want to try games that were popular at the past (So, in some perspective, I'm a retro gamer and I download games that are PSN, Google Play, or anything that I can find.) and see how the games back then were like.

If I'm too old for Sonic, I'm also too old for...a lot of other things I enjoy. If I like something, I'm not gonna care too much about who the target audience is as long as I enjoy it.

Play what you want to play, watch what you want to watch, read what you want to read, and so on. I don't see why age has to come into it at all.

Nor do I understand why other people care.

My thoughts summed up by Diogenes, I enjoy animation from all genres whether that by Family Guy, American Dad, Disney and Pixar Films, Hanna Barbara Cartoons and Cartoon Cartoons. I also enjoy of course playing and watching Sonic and I am approaching my 30's, Do I care what people think of me for watching and playing Sonic, No, because I enjoy it and thats all that matters

You should never be afraid to be who you are and to be honest I don't really care too much what people think of me. Simply put I like being me for what I enjoy doing in life. Live life to the fullest because you never know when it is going to come to an end

Like Kiah, I am also 30! I still play Sonic games, occasionally read the comics and I still hang about on here and STCO. Sure, my OH doesn't like it and probably doesn't get why I still like this franchise (for example he haaaates it when I play Sonic Unleashed!) but it doesn't matter. He's into things I don't like too.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sibling: "Ugh, Sonic, of course."

Me: "So?"

Sibling: "Sonic sucks, only children under the age of ten buy it!"

Me: "Well, they sell very nicely for only kids buying it."

Sibling: (silent for a while) "What the crap? Who the heck makes this?"

Sibling: "I didn't even know they made so many Sonic games."

Sibling: (after a while) "Only "gays" and kids under ten like Sonic, and you. You're going to be like 50 and still playing a stupid kids game."

THIS. Ohhhh sweet lord can I relate. Literally everyone I know has the exact same reaction when it comes to Sonic. Yes, the games are usually rated E or E10+ (PEGI 3 and 7 respectively) but that doesn't mean it's only for people of that age.

You know, at my age a lot of kids like to think that anything with blood, sex, and swearing is mature and therefore liking it makes them mature, and if you like anything "childish" like Sonic or Mega Man makes you "gay" or a "faggot". Obviously these people are either close minded idiots or they want to act cool by hating on franchises like Sonic. In my opinion, there's no age set for Sonic, or any video game really. Yes, there can be a target audience, but that doesn't mean only a small percent of people can enjoy it.

Video games are a form of entertainment. If you're entertained by Sonic, good! If not, that's okay! I get that Sonic won't appeal to everyone, but dear lord would it be nice if the people that disliked it could just stay silent about it and not judge those who do like it. 

As far as I'm concerned, they're not cool if they diss people for liking "childish" things.

I'll respect someone who likes Call of Duty if they respect that I like Sonic. If they can't respect that I don't play Call of Duty, I'd rather not deal with them.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't play the games anywhere near as much as I used to but I still play them nonetheless. I've played the overwhelming majority of the series' games over the past 20 years.

I collect Sonic merchandise that appeals to me and my mom even takes something of an interest in my collection, never once expressing anything akin to disdain for it.

I've written for two highly acclaimed Sonic fansites.

Heck! I love posting on this forum's Sonic-related parts and they're my focus even if I'm less of a prolific poster these days than what I used to be.

I'm pushing 27 years of age.

And I do not and will not feel ashamed or be made to feel down because of my Sonic fandom. To feel as such and to assign gravity to those who say you're contemptible for it delegates undue credibility to those naysayers who seem to make it their duty to make people feel bad about what they like when it's not their concern. You should like what you want to like and pay no heed to those who say that you're "too old" for anything.

• Thumbs Up 4

Nowadays, Sonic seems to have a factor of retro cred with the "older crowd" in their late 20's like myself. Much like how I see adults wearing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Rocko's Modern Life t-shirts, stuff from the early '90s has kind of become a thing again. People in my age group will compliment my Sonic shirts and ringtones, saying how they used to love playing Sonic when they were younger. So in that sense, I definitely don't feel "too old" for Sonic. However, I only know about three or so people around my age who actually still play the current games, so, in all honesty, the modern games are primarily for the younger crowd.

I don't really care either way though; I have fun playing Sonic games both new and old, and that's all that matters to me. If anyone wants to tell me that I'm too old for that, then that's fine. I work full time and have a pretty active social life, so I'll spend my spare time however I'd like.
  • Thumbs Up 2

I haven't read every reply so I don't know if I'm just echoing what others have said but... Too say you're 'too old' for Sonic is some seriously flawed logic. Trouble is there's no arguing with people like this because often their just trying to get a rise out of you by attacking something you enjoy. No matter how well-reasoned you're argument it's not worth wasting your breath.

200px-STC88-OldSonic.jpg

Doesn't matter how old you are. If you love Sonic and enjoy playing the games, reading the comics, collecting merch or watching the TV series, then you have every right to and shouldn't feel ashamed.

I will always enjoy playing Sonic games, especially the classics which I love to death. I will make sure I find time to play them no matter how old I get. Sonic is a franchise for all ages and I hope Sonic's success and popularity continues to grow and grow.
  • Thumbs Up 1

As I have said else ware in the 90s I never owned any Sonic games.
But I played the games on display in stores. It was not until some time after 2004 that I found Sonic Mega Collection or the PS2.
So I was actually a full adult before I owned my first sonic game.
And I have only recently started to ketchup on the games I have mist out on, and I am now in my early 30s.

My oldest brother is almost 33 years old. He still enjoys the odd playthrough of Sonic from time to time. 

Caught him playing Sonic 4 a few days ago.

Wow, that's a lot to think of.

Well, I think anyone of any age can grow to love Sonic, but for some people it can take time.

Growing up, I was obsessed (still are!) with Sonic, that being my parents had to put up with it.

I honestly think they came to love Sonic as well, nowhere near as much as I did, of course, but it showed my that parents (mine were ages 40-50) can love Sonic too. From how Sonic is such a popular brand, and with the new Sonic Boom coming out as a children's comedic TV series, I don't think it will be hard at all for kids to learn to love Sonic. Now, that really leaves the middle ages, doesn't it? I think most people on here are from around 15-30, so I think that covers it pretty well. I'm not sure about old people though (ages 65-80+), I haven't really had much interaction with them when it comes to Sonic, but I don't see how one could simply not love Sonic. I guess they would look at it the same way as Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny, just another silly cartoon character, never really able to understand the amazing things Sonic does in his games/shows. 

As far as reality goes, I'm not completely sure what you're asking, but I think humans can work in Sonic's world, to a limit of course. Like in the Adventure series, Sonic did fine with people, same with Sonic X. '06 is a different story (but let's not start on that, sound good?), but honestly I think Unleashed probably nailed the whole human thing. If you took Sonic X and Unleashed's ways of human adaption, I think you'll have a smooth formula! ^^

I'm a 14 year old boy and I haven't met a single person aged 10+ that likes sonic and that's through school, family, weddings, and all sorts.

What I want is a friend who I can play sonic with because everyone my age at school just seems to play cod.

I personally never get truly bummed out of Sonic, to be frank. Despite what some people may throw at the series like 'It's too kiddy, only wannabe hipsters like Sonic' (The ones I frequently hear as reasons why they dislike Sonic, at least) it's still something I keep coming back to enjoy for it's visuals and messages, even if the gameplay is usually hit or miss.

• Thumbs Up 1

This comic comes to mind.
1323090801.jpg

Typically, in high school people are still concerned with their reputation and all that, so they tend to avoid being fans of anything that may seem "immature" (Sonic and cartoons in general fall in this category). Not in my case though; I was still a proud, geeky Sonic fan. :P

But yeah, after high school that stigma kind of goes away, for the most part. Not to say that everyone who liked Sonic as a kid will like it again in college, but, you know.
  • Thumbs Up 5

1323090801.jpg

Typically, in high school people are still concerned with their reputation and all that, so they tend to avoid being fans of anything that may seem "immature" (Sonic and cartoons in general fall in this category). Not in my case though; I was still a proud, geeky Sonic fan. tongue.png

But yeah, after high school that stigma kind of goes away, for the most part. Not to say that everyone who liked Sonic as a kid will like it again in college, but, you know.

You can extend the high school panel down far enough to middle school as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I never entirely cared what people thought about my taste in video game franchises (no matter how many times they called Sonic 'gay'). I enjoy Sonic for several reasons.

1.) Sonic 2 was the first game I owned. I played the cartridge almost every day until I got Sonic 3, then played that until I got Sonic and Knuckles.

2.) It's one of the happier times of my childhood. I got my Genesis as a shared Xmas gift (alongside my sister) from my grandma and aunt. Mom, who felt video games would rot her children's brains/were instruments of Satan/etc., attempted to get them to take back the gift, to no avail.

3.) The music from the old Sonic games drives my mom crazy. She despises any song with repeating loops and such, especially the BGMs from Sonic 2, so much that I put on Emerald Hill Zone to get my mom to go away when she visits.

• Thumbs Up 2

1323090801.jpg

What's funny is that I'm in High School right now and everyone around me is still following the Pokemon craze, XD. I feel like it's actually Middle School were people begin to mock each other for their interests until they loosen up a little and start not too care about what people like all that much.

But yeah, back to the topic at hand, I'm 16 years old and I could care less about how that relates to my interest with Sonic the Hedgehog. His games are fun to play in a lot of aspects, and if I end up getting mocked for it, then so be it. Most of the time, people mocking me for it barely know jack shit about Sonic anyway. I'm very happy being a fan of Sonic at this age, and I don't see myself outgrowing it anytime soon.

Heck no.

I consistenly play the games when I want, I'm an active participant in the Sonic RP community, and I love watching AoSTH and SatAM.

I'm 26. And I love being in this fandom. Maybe I'll outgrow it, maybe I won't. Until then I'm gonna have fun.

Also that comic is incredibly relevant.

I'm in my twenties and I have a Sonic plush sitting on my window-sill.

I'm pretty confident about my maturity.