Awoo.

Animaniacs Reboot in the works, says Indiewire

Pawn

Image result for animaniacs

‘Animaniacs’ Reboot Being Developed By Steven Spielberg, Amblin TV and Warner Bros. — Exclusive

I've seen this doing the rounds, but felt that it deserved its own topic. IndieWire's sources have reported that a "reboot" of Animaniacs is in the works, following a successful run on Netflix. Steve Spielberg, who served as head writer in the original run, is on board.

UGrTTsq.jpg

For those not in the know, Animaniacs was a popular cartoon created by Tom Ruegger (who also gave us Tiny Toon Adventures) in the 90s. Higher production values than the average cartoon led to some lovely animation, while its humour and cultural references (that included frequent appearances by famous characters and celebrities) allowed it to appeal to a wider age range than its peers. It was a kind of comedy sketch show, framed by the antics of the "Warners": Yakko, Wakko and Dot, where short stories would play out via different settings with a variety of characters. One moment, two laboratory mice schemed to take over the world; the next, a chicken disguised itself as a man.

Related image

What the nature of this "reboot" entails is a mystery for now. I for one hope that Spielberg is careful when updating the series to modern sensibilities. I certainly wouldn't want any comparison to be made with Cartoon Network's recent revivals... That said, I'm excited about the prospect and am wondering who they would bring back and how many new characters (not that this confirmed, but I would expect there to be fresh blood that resonates more with today's audience) and stories could join the cast.

Speaking of which, what was your favourite segment? Would you like to see it return in a show? Pinky and the Brain and Chicken Boo were always big hits in my house, but of course the former spun off into its own series, so they could well be a shoe in (or kept in reserve for their own reboot?). Chicken Boo, for better or worse, is prime meme material, so I can see the writers giving it a second run at humanhood.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wheel of morality is a must for me as the end segment in each show. Pinky and the brain should come back. I loved the segment with the Squirrel and her nephew. I'll keep an eye out for this.

After being disappointed by reboots one too many times, I gotta say, my reaction was less hype and more "Hmmm...."

However, hearing that Steven Spielberg is back does bring my hopes up a little bit. In the meantime though, I'm gonna wait before getting to excited... But here's to hoping this reboot does end up coming out good! 

On one hand, Steven Spielberg has returned. On the other hand...he'll probably be working with different people with different ideas.

Hopefully if they can't bring back the original writers, they bring in people who were at least fans of the original. That's the biggest problem with a lot of these reboots; they have people who don't even appreciate the originals, let alone are fans.

But hopefully with Steven Spielberg back, this won't be the case.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm hoping for great things, but I'm prepared to be disappointed. If this ends up good maybe Freakazoid could also make a return? Superheroes are big business these days, they'd have tons of material to riff on.

And those innuendoes better be just as clever as they were before!

"Goodnight everybody!"

The Steven Spielberg of today is not the same Spielberg from the time of the show's original airing. He's an older guy with kids and friendlier sensibilities. Will this be as reverent and adult at the original show was, especially when we've already got things like Gumball that already fill a similar-ish niche'?

Also, I'm curious about the music. Richard Stone was the composer for all of the Spielberg Warner Bros. shows and theatrical shorts and specials at the time, and he did well in capturing the sarcastic and incidental orchestral music that Carl Stalling did for the original shorts. However, Stone died in 2001, so will they try to find a replacement for him and stick to that style or just go in a different direction? Hoping for the former.

• Thumbs Up 3